• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've never smoked a blunt. I despise smoke and the feeling of it going down your lungs utterly revolts me. Tobacco is nasty enough as it is.

But then again, I have never done any kind of drugs besides alcohol and a ciggie that totally killed my interest in tobacco back when I was 18.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
doomsday5.jpg

What kind of sound effect is BLORCH?

Also, why am I not with the others on that Scott Pilgrim image?

Misha

Banned
I've never smoked a blunt. I despise smoke and the feeling of it going down your lungs utterly revolts me. Tobacco is nasty enough as it is.

But then again, I have never done any kind of drugs besides alcohol and a ciggie that totally killed my interest in tobacco back when I was 18.

pot brownies then?

FloatOn

I used to smoke every now and again. both weed and cigs. never enough to get addicted to either though.

I am interested in trying shrooms one day. I've always wanted to hallucinate.

Misha

Banned
personally the only non-prescription, not caffeine drug i've had is alcohol which i hate. regardless of whether i want to or not, i don't know anyone sketchy enough to acquire it
I would be worried that it turns bad and I end up scraping my own face off and eating it.

thats more of a bathsalts thing isn't it?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I used to smoke every now and again. both weed and cigs. never enough to get addicted to either though.

I am interested in trying shrooms one day. I've always wanted to hallucinate.

Wild shrooms grow all around my family's place in the mountains. People get into the boonies and eat them raw when in season and trip the fuck out right on the side of the road. It's an incredible sight. Motherfuckers are ROLLING all over the forest.

Knowing that psilocybin is safe if not beneficial makes me interested in them, but I'm kind of wary of having a bad experience.

marrec

Banned

I smoked pot heavily from the time I was about 9 till 13 or 14 and then my supply dried up and I didn't smoke for 10 years.

Smoked again at 24 and it was AWFUL. Since then I've hated the idea of smoking pot.

Misha

Banned
so the it person here gave me the wrong sql information and i've been trying to figure out whats wrong with my program for awhile now....

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I wish my job required SQL. Or any kind of creativity period.

Misha

Banned
SQL is about as creative as sharpening a pencil and claiming you've made art.

well i guess making the databases can be somewhat creative but its more like organizing a filing cabinet

queries though really aren't much different than a google search

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
You're making something, that counts as creativity.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I think he meant shrooms.

Ooooh. Never tried them.

If I make a mound out of elephant dung, does that count as creative too?
if you can't tell, I really dislike SQL

----

Speaking of creativity, I need to think of some way to use Apple tech in a creative way to make an app for the WWDC scholarship.
So far all I've come up with is some sort of computer vision using the GPU. But I'm not sure if that would hold water in the context of "Apple creative"

Misha

Banned
oh i see. I'm just doing queries so I'm only interacting with something already made

i am making a program though which would be in visual basic which tbf is way more awful
If I make a mound out of elephant dung, does that count as creative too?
if you can't tell, I really dislike SQL

what do you usually use for data storage? I've found it interesting and great that a bunch of alternatives have popped up lately. i usually end up with csv's or just basic text files cause i haven't had any real reason to learn anything specific outside of work

Granadier

what do you usually use for data storage? I've found it interesting and great that a bunch of alternatives have popped up lately. i usually end up with csv's or just basic text files cause i haven't had any real reason to learn anything specific outside of work

Most of my experience with data storage has been with no-SQL databases like MongoDB and the like. I find them far easier to work with, and I've never dealt with a database large enough to warrant strict rules in regards to the data stored.

It does become a pain sometimes though if you need to do type checking since JavaScript really doesn't care about types. Some extra steps every once in a while isn't too bad for me though.

Misha

Banned
Most of my experience with data storage has been with no-SQL databases like MongoDB and the like. I find them far easier to work with, and I've never dealt with a database large enough to warrant strict rules in regards to the data stored.

It does become a pain sometimes though if you need to do type checking since JavaScript really doesn't care about types. Some extra steps every once in a while isn't too bad for me though.
wikipedia says its comparable to JSON which I haven't got around ot figuring out yet but seems to be everywhere. interesting

does the type checking mean you use node.js as well? otherwise i'd think you'd be able to handle that with your serverside language

I use MySQL e'ery day. It is interesting to write queries to minimize database transactions but otherwise I prefer programming the rest of the application than the data storage.

I found marijuana much easier to smoke than tobacco. Still made me cough like crazy. Distant memories at this point.

marrec

Banned
I use MySQL e'ery day. It is interesting to write queries to minimize database transactions but otherwise I prefer programming the rest of the application than the data storage.

I found marijuana much easier to smoke than tobacco. Still made me cough like crazy. Distant memories at this point.

Hey so I'm starting to learn relational databases so that I can start on SQL. Any particular skill set I need to bone up on?

Granadier

wikipedia says its comparable to JSON which I haven't got around ot figuring out yet but seems to be everywhere. interesting

does the type checking mean you use node.js as well? otherwise i'd think you'd be able to handle that with your serverside language

Yep, it stores data in JSON format essentially. JSON is just super easy to work with since it's so flexible. I think Mongo can handle XML as well, not sure.
This would be how you could store some states and cities.
Code:
{
	"states": [
		"Massachusets",
		"Minnesota",
		"Arizona",
		"Alaska",
		"California",
		"Ohio",
		"New Hampshire",
		"Rhode Island"
	],
	"cities": [
		"Minneapolis",
		"Ann Arbor",
		"Boston",
		"Laguna Beach",
		"Phoenix",
		"Charleston",
		"Orlando"
	]
}
Then you can query for "states" or "cities" pretty easily through
Code:
db.collection.find({ "states" })
or something similar. It's been awhile since I've done any database work.

And in regards to type-checking, yeah I use Node mostly when I do backend work. I've been trying to get into Ruby, but most of my work has been iOS lately.

Misha

Banned
I mean, it's a bit rough but it's message isn't totally wrong.

I didn't entirely get the one with belle though. isn't she the only one on that list that didn't have love at first sight and it was more of her personality that was the big deal? or maybe i just don't remember how that worked

either way mulan was a huge difference from older disney princesses and probably the best one

Didn't know The Girl on the Train was getting a film adaptation.

Everybody in that thread praising the book, but I found it really middling and predictable. Gone Girl remains unbothered.

zeemumu

this was on my feed

tumblr_kr8nybGVqn1qzmvbao1_5001.jpg

The Beauty and the Beast one is a little off but it's no real secret that a lot of the Disney princesses teach terrible lessons. That's why they tend to lampshade the hell out of it in future projects.

I really don't like Ariel because she's the only one who actively furthers the villain's plot and learns nothing from it in the end (at least in the movie. In the book she dies).

Misha

Banned
yeah. I guess had never really thought about it that way. Something to remember should I ever have a daughter and should I ever feel the need to show her disney movies

just make sure you throw in plenty of mulan, tangled, inside out, zootopia, lilo and stitch, and frozen

gotta say though, a lot of them, especially the little mermaid, bothered me when i was younger

FloatOn

just make sure you throw in plenty of mulan, tangled, inside out, zootopia, lilo and stitch, and frozen

gotta say though, a lot of them, especially the little mermaid, bothered me when i was younger

out of those I've only seen lilo and stitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom