• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
damn
Never though of Jasmine like that

It's a modern reinterpretation of the story in which she is an independent and smart woman who won't be controlled or fooled by any man even when she is facing what is then the most powerful sorcerer in the world.

Yes, Aladdin at the end of the day ends up saving everyone, but with no small help from Jasmine who uses a full gamut of skills and throughout the movie.

zeemumu

I honestly dont' remember it at all. i do remember my cousin loving it though so i'd assume its probably a good option

Tiana does fricken everything. Defeats the villain, saves the prince, gives him a job, starts a successful business, etc.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
yeah. I guess had never really thought about it that way. Something to remember should I ever have a daughter and should I ever feel the need to show her disney movies
This one reason why Frozen has been such
a phenomenon. It is great and has an awesome message. The romance in the film and short isn't forced, and it's sisters first.

Misha

Banned
out of those I've only seen lilo and stitch
geez you need to fix that. a few of those are some of the best animated movies ever and the rest are pretty good
Tiana does fricken everything. Defeats the villain, saves the prince, gives him a job, starts a successful business, etc.

okay its coming back to me now. the guy frog(prince?) was somewhat of a jerk that she called out but ended up learning from her right?

Misha

Banned
I still need to watch Frozen. But I mean I just found Tangled to be "okay" and I really despise Let It Go. So like there's zero incentive.

tangled had more enjoyable characters and stuff and setting than frozen imo but the message and everything is way better in frozen. they're both better for kids though

Numb

Hi there
Was in that thread if anyone noticed ;_;
It's a modern reinterpretation of the story in which she is an independent and smart woman who won't be controlled or fooled by any man even when she is facing what is then the most powerful sorcerer in the world.

Yes, Aladdin at the end of the day ends up saving everyone, but with no small help from Jasmine who uses a full gamut of skills and throughout the movie.

Disney

FloatOn

geez you need to fix that. a few of those are some of the best animated movies ever and the rest are pretty good

I'm not really compelled to watch animated movies for whatever reason. I suppose if I ever procreate that will change.

This isn't to say that I'm opposed to animation. Iron Giant and The Incredibles are great. It's just that at least for right now I have no real vested interest in others. Mainly due to my free time being spent elsewhere.

Hey so I'm starting to learn relational databases so that I can start on SQL. Any particular skill set I need to bone up on?

Have never thought of it. I have a math degree with a minor in CS but I didn't study them in school and came to them first professionally and learned as I went.

Do you understand multiple-dimension data structures? Queries against multiple tables usually represent turning multidimensional data into two dimensions.

You should be warned that the "S" (standard) in "SQL" is very, very broad and that every SQL flavour is quirky compared to the next.

I don't even know what this is! *panic*

Discrete mathematics (vs continuous).

Unless I'm forgetting a lot, a basic discrete course is not a prerequisite in terms of knowledge, but a lot of CS uses it as a prereq in terms of thinking ability. But I'm really terrible at remembering what it's like being a beginner at anything.

zeemumu

okay its coming back to me now. the guy frog(prince?) was somewhat of a jerk that she called out but ended up learning from her right?

He wasn't exactly a jerk (except to his assistant, but apparently everyone was), just very lazy. His parents cut him off to force him to go make a living. Tiana is on the opposite end of the spectrum as a workaholic. She basically just learns how to loosen up from him, and he learns a little bit of work ethic. Not a lot, but more than he had before.

Frozen is worse than tangled so

No, Tangled is better than Frozen. That's like having a comparison between you and ADC. Neither of you are on the negative end of the scale so I wouldn't use 'worse' to describe either of you. I use 'worse' to describe two negatives

You gotta get her hooked on the classics. The Lion King, Mulan, The Little Mermaid...

Those are all great picks but Ariel is a shitty role model.

Jobbs

Banned
In Disney movies like Cinderella, isn't it also true that the "prince's" only asset is that he's handsome or whatever? What do we know about the prince in Cinderella except that he's handsome? And isn't the prize and happy ending in Beauty & The Beast that The Beast turn sout to be a handsome prince? And isn't the prince in THe Little Mermaid only interesting to her because he's handsome? etc

Now excuse me

tumblr_mv6sqlF4yM1r3yxp8o1_500.jpg

No, Tangled is better than Frozen. That's like having a comparison between you and ADC. Neither of you are on the negative end of the scale so I wouldn't use 'worse' to describe either of you. I use 'worse' to describe two negatives

I meant it like Tangled is amazing and Frozen is just mediocre. I See The Light is honestly my favorite Disney song ever.

I'm tired, leave me alone

Jobbs

Banned
She's seen most of them by now but she is obsessed with tsum tsums for somega reasons.

And the YouTube emojis retelling of the movies.

My nieces like Ponyo and Kiki's

Kiki's is such a beautiful adorable little story and it's so much a better story for girls (or anyone) than the Disney crap

Ghibli = thoughtful works of art

DIsney = commercial diarrhea

marrec

Banned
Have never thought of it. I have a math degree with a minor in CS but I didn't study them in school and came to them first professionally and learned as I went.

Do you understand multiple-dimension data structures? Queries against multiple tables usually represent turning multidimensional data into two dimensions.

You should be warned that the "S" (standard) in "SQL" is very, very broad and that every SQL flavour is quirky compared to the next.

I definitely have never heard the term multiple-dimension data structures before. My main database experience is from using Excel and Access. I need more powerful tool though because the data I'm collecting is just getting more convoluted and increasing in volume.

Misha

Banned
In Disney movies like Cinderella, isn't it also true that the "prince's" only asset is that he's handsome or whatever? What do we know about the prince in Cinderella except that he's handsome? And isn't the prize and happy ending in Beauty & The Beast that The Beast turn sout to be a handsome prince? And isn't the prince in THe Little Mermaid only interesting to her because he's handsome? etc

Now excuse me

those aren't unrelated. its that darn patriarchy again

Misha

Banned
I definitely have never heard the term multiple-dimension data structures before. My main database experience is from using Excel and Access. I need more powerful tool though because the data I'm collecting is just getting more convoluted and increasing in volume.

if you did well with access you should do fine. its what i learned sql on and aside from it being gui focused it does the same things as other sql databases

I don't even know what this is! *panic*

I have a course on relational databases starting in July.

Hahaha, don't worry about it, you shouldn't really need to know anything other than like...what a set is.

One thing I will say though is that whenever I was being taught about SQL it was always super boring, it was only when I started getting into actual databases that are used in the real world (and aren't designed like total shit) I started to understand how useful it was and took more of an interest in it.

Jobbs

Banned
I remember seeing Beauty & The Beast as a young child and having a crush on Belle. I also remember thinking "man.. I hope I can be handsome like that prince guy".

I'm not going to pretend for a second that things are equal and that how people treat women and men are equal, I won't pretend that for a hot minnesota minute, but my point is that the classic Disney movies are mostly terrible in terms of message

anyway...goodmorning ;)

Halcyon

A little girl at a mall thought my wife was Elsa and ran up to her wanting a hug.

It made my insides explode.

I definitely have never heard the term multiple-dimension data structures before. My main database experience is from using Excel and Access.

A spreadsheet is two dimensional.

What if each cell could have a stack of data in it? Then you have three dimensions and you can still conceptualize this as a human that walks around in three-space.

Now imagine each of those cells has a stack of data— the mind fuckery begins.

Each database table is just two dimensional— the relational part is how you add dimensionality or one-to-many relationships not possible in a spreadsheet.

(I also edited my earlier reply, but too slowly for this thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom