• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
A spreadsheet is two dimensional.

What if each cell could have a stack of data in it? Then you have three dimensions and you can still conceptualize this as a human that walks around in three-space.

Now imagine each of those cells has a stack of data— the mind fuckery begins.

Each database table is just two dimensional— the relational part is how you add dimensionality or one-to-many relationships not possible in a spreadsheet.

(I also edited my earlier reply, but too slowly for this thread).

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about and I"ll thank you to stop making me feel stupid

now if you'll excuse me, I'm out of food and must improvise

ReliableDirectGonolek.gif

zeemumu

In Disney movies like Cinderella, isn't it also true that the "prince's" only asset is that he's handsome or whatever? What do we know about the prince in Cinderella except that he's handsome? And isn't the prize and happy ending in Beauty & The Beast that The Beast turn sout to be a handsome prince? And isn't the prince in THe Little Mermaid only interesting to her because he's handsome? etc

Now excuse me

I think the reward in Beauty and the Beast is less that he's handsome and more that he doesn't die/remain a beast forever and Belle can finally escape those assholes in her village who keep pestering her about why she likes to read. It's sort of mimicking the story that they give at the beginning of the movie where Beast (or Adam) turns down an old woman and then she turns out to be a hot goddess. Belle was going to care about him regardless of whether or not he had turned hot in the end. The real reward was books. Lots and lots of books.

Eric is interesting to Ariel because he's different (and hot, but mostly the first part) and she's willing to take her human fetish so far that she nearly dooms her entire kingdom after selling her soul to a sea witch for the D, and it takes Eric ramming a boat into Ursula to fix things, so Ariel comes out of it learning absolutely nothing and continues to learn absolutely nothing as far as the sequel was concerned. What, Ariel...you couldn't tell your daughter about the sea witch wanting to kill her and that's why she's not allowed in the ocean? You had to build A WALL?! It's not like people don't know mer-people exist. They were at your damn wedding.

A little girl at a mall thought my wife was Elsa and ran up to her wanting a hug.

My dad and I were shopping for mom one Christmas and a little kid, with no parent in sight ran up to my dad— who is a dead ringer for Santa Claus: "Mister mister, what's your name? Mister mister I've been really good. Mister mister what's your name?"

zeemumu

My dad and I were shopping for mom one Christmas and a little kid, with no parent in sight ran up to my dad— who is a dead ringer for Santa Claus: "Mister mister, what's your name? Mister mister I've been really good. Mister mister what's your name?"

The twist was that your father was actually President Snow and immediately had the child tossed into a death arena.

Turin

Banned
I watched Frozen on TV a couple years ago. I didn't hate it.

I don't really dig musicals aside from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Those are all great picks but Ariel is a shitty role model.

And isn't 'Beauty and the Beast' like Stockholm Syndrome the Movie?

It's been a looooong time since I've seen any of these movies but I remember certain things very fondly. The cave of wonders in Aladdin, The 7 Dwarfs mining in Snow White, Simba eating bugs, that frog(was he a frog?) in Pinocchio, the general haunted vibe in Beauty and the Beast.

MutFox

Banned
I need to accept your friend request on Steam.

We were actually friends on Steam a long time ago,
but like 6 years ago, my Steam account got hacked, eventually got it back, but they deleted all my Steam friends.

Though they did buy stuff with their personal credit card on my steam account,
so I got some free stuff out of it. :|

zeemumu

And isn't 'Beauty and the Beast' like Stockholm Syndrome the Movie?

It's been a looooong time since I've seen any of these movies but I remember certain things very fondly. The cave of wonders in Aladdin, The 7 Dwarfs mining in Snow White, Simba eating bugs, that frog(was he a frog?) in Pinocchio, the general haunted vibe in Beauty and the Beast.

A little, but I like Belle more than the others so I'll defend that movie.

Frog? You mean Jiminy Cricket?

I typically remember the villains for their kickass songs and overdramatic deaths. Hellfire is the ultimate song of thirst.

Your video's marked as private

I don't know how it holds up but i remember liking lion king 2 when i was little. iirc kiara was the driving force of that movie so that might be another to fit in the positive female lead group

gq2PUw.gif

Lion King 2 was Romeo and Juliet with animals. I like to joke about Simba getting pissed that his daughter wanted to marry a black guy.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
My nieces like Ponyo and Kiki's

Kiki's is such a beautiful adorable little story and it's so much a better story for girls (or anyone) than the Disney crap

Ghibli = thoughtful works of art

DIsney = commercial diarrhea
My daughters primary interests are MLP, Steven Universe, and Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super in particular has been great as the fansubs have had her increasing her reading skills to be able to keep up with the show

Jobbs

Banned
What about a badass western musical?

(Have never cared for westerns either. I was inundated with John Wayne westerns as a child, and I still resent the entire genre for it.)

Musical Western!

I feel my simpsons references aren't really being computed today

My daughters primary interests are MLP, Steven Universe, and Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super in particular has been great as the fansubs have had her increasing her reading skills to be able to keep up with the show

one of my nieces is so into MLP that I know a lot of the characters and bought her a bunch of MLP toys for her birthday

I think it's awesome that she's into SU. I think that's a respectable show + my friend who did some of the music in my game was also a studio musician for some SU songs, playing drums. For instance, he played drums on "Like a Comet"

Misha

Banned

your daughter has good taste

except dragon ball
:p

Chuckie

My nieces like Ponyo and Kiki's

Kiki's is such a beautiful adorable little story and it's so much a better story for girls (or anyone) than the Disney crap

Ghibli = thoughtful works of art

DIsney = commercial diarrhea

Kiki is wonderful. Saw that for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

zeemumu

Musicals are so fucking good.

A good musical is sublime, way better than any boring movie without songs.

I've only seen Lion King, Wicked, and Phantom of the Opera live. Out of the 3 I think I liked the 3rd the most if you remove the nostalgia bonus from Lion King.

I did read the plot synopsis to American Idiot, though. I like their versions of Boulevard of Broken Dreams and 21 Guns even if they do depress the hell out of me.

Turin

Banned
Looking at my blu ray collection on my shelf, apparently I like depressing movies.

And Fury Road.

A little, but I like Belle more than the others so I'll defend that movie.

Frog? You mean Jiminy Cricket?

I typically remember the villains for their kickass songs and overdramatic deaths. Hellfire is the ultimate song of thirst.

Oh right. The cricket. :p

Isn't that the song from the creepy fucker in the Hunchback of Notre Dame?

I remember Chernabog.

latest

I don't think he had an overdramatic death though. Just hides from the light like a punk.

zeemumu

Oh right. The cricket. :p

Isn't that the song from the creepy fucker in the Hunchback of Notre Dame?

I remember Chernabog.

latest

Yeah, it's Frollo singing about how much he wants to bang Esmeralda, and that if she won't sleep with him he'll burn her alive.
tumblr_movs78EjJD1sqby7xo2_400.gif

tumblr_n7ubkhVzcC1rel31wo1_500.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I remember seeing Beauty & The Beast as a young child and having a crush on Belle. I also remember thinking "man.. I hope I can be handsome like that prince guy".

I'm not going to pretend for a second that things are equal and that how people treat women and men are equal, I won't pretend that for a hot minnesota minute, but my point is that the classic Disney movies are mostly terrible in terms of message

anyway...goodmorning ;)

Ew58jB7.gif

Why is everyone so wrong about this?

Musicals are objectively the best way to consume a story!

Those shows are all alright, but why would I go out of my way to watch them?

Because spontaneous singing and dancing always just looks super dumb

Unless it's done in the Blues Brothers

Doesn't help that I just straight up despise dancing

And Seinfeld and The Simpsons up to series 8ish are top-tier comedy dood

Turin

Banned
Animated musicals are tolerable.

Fuck live acted musicals.

What about a badass western musical?

(Have never cared for westerns either. I was inundated with John Wayne westerns as a child, and I still resent the entire genre for it.)

Same.

No Country is good though. It's kind of the anti western.

Yeah, it's Frollo singing about how much he wants to bang Esmeralda, and that if she won't sleep with him he'll burn her alive.
tumblr_movs78EjJD1sqby7xo2_400.gif

tumblr_n7ubkhVzcC1rel31wo1_500.gif

I do remember the thread arguing whether he was a more evil villain than Man(I think the movie was Bambi).

marrec

Banned

Eh, in watching either one I've never felt the need to seek out more episodes from them. They're alright.

Numb

Now I know what it feels like to be the smartest person in a room.
Just missing the monocle, top hat, pipe combo

I like it when they are relaxed and not moving on about the place like crazy
Slow tempo helps

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
no wild or timberwolves?

or is the karma point that those are bad things happening to Minnesota? (I can't think of the vikings without thinking of scandal and incompetence)

There's a few iterations, but this is just the most generic one. I guess Bob Dylan would belong on there too, but Jobbs would probably get offended by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom