• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Book 4: A Game of Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
first I've heard of it but I'll check it out at some point.

It's one of my favorite podcasts, consistently quality listens.

No but I just downloaded it and will listen to it on the drive home. You are responsible for my ride being entertaining.

If it is not, I will have scathing words with you later Marrec. Be warned!

I absolve myself of all responsibility from this moment forward.

Misha

Banned
never get into engine debates especially with people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about lol. never ending headaches and stupidity abound.
People seem to find really random patterns to justify disliking sets of games

The anger in that thread is impressive.

The latest Skeptic's Guide to the Universe podcast has a great discussion on Free Speech vs. Social Justice and I'm thinking of making a thread about it but then I'm also thinking that that thread would be a shitshow... decisions decisions.

Anyone else listen to that podcast?
It's dangerous to make threads about long-form content. Either it takes too long to initiate engagement and the thread falls out of view or only people who form opinions based on the thread title and a bare minimum skim of the OP are going to post, dumping their worthless opinions in and flinging shit at each other.

I've never heard of the podcast but I'll give it a listen in a couple of hours.

I'm being a total shill for Valve right now in my research paper

Okay, note on academic APA readability (assuming it's APA): If citing the same source continuously without using any other source in between you can just make due with only a citation on the last one before shifting to another. Only extremely bold and / or specific claims would need a citation on the page you found it on. You would only cite like the quote you presented if you wanted to point to specific page numbers of your source, whereas (author, year) is for general ideas or collective source of where you found generic information.

If necessary to make it clear that the entire section is from one source, you would start the paragraph with "Knight (year), in a book on Valve, presents the company as..." and end with (Knight, 2012) at the end of the paragraph. Everyone will understand that the entire thing is from the one source. As long as no statement stands out (like say the sentence you should never use: "research shows that" ) as particularly bold in claim or being odd, this is fine.

APA is already unreadable garbage as it is, don't add fuel to that fire if you can avoid it.

marrec

Banned
It's dangerous to make threads about long-form content. Either it takes too long to initiate engagement and the thread falls out of view or only people who form opinions based on the thread title and a bare minimum skim of the OP are going to post, dumping their worthless opinions in and flinging shit at each other.

I've never heard of the podcast but I'll give it a listen in a couple of hours.

Yep, I imagined that scenario playing out specifically. In order to make the OP reasonably readable at all for people who genuinely wanted to discuss the issue I'd have to put in a monumental amount of work, and even then it would mostly be filled with shitposts, infighting, and general GAF wankery.

But I still wanna doooooo itttttt.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I listened to Skeptic's Guide a few years back, but haven't sense. It got a little preachy for my taste.
Freakonomics is another great podcast.

FloatOn

Okay, note on academic APA readability (assuming it's APA): If citing the same source continuously without using any other source in between you can just make due with only a citation on the last one before shifting to another. Only extremely bold and / or specific claims would need a citation on the page you found it on. You would only cite like the quote you presented if you wanted to point to specific page numbers of your source, whereas (author, year) is for general ideas or collective source of where you found generic information.

If necessary to make it clear that the entire section is from one source, you would start the paragraph with "Knight (year), in a book on Valve, presents the company as..." and end with (Knight, 2012) at the end of the paragraph. Everyone will understand that the entire thing is from the one source. As long as no statement stands out (like say the sentence you should never use: "research shows that" ) as particularly bold in claim or being odd, this is fine.

APA is already unreadable garbage as it is, don't add fuel to that fire if you can avoid it.

agreed. and thanks for the pointer.

this is just the first draft. but I do get kind of carried away with my citations for fear of academic dishonesty and all that.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
imagine your company handing your job's dutys to a kid :p
my sister got to write the MSDS stuff

oh i can imagine. i just worry that I completely missed things and someone would get hurt. tbh though i don't think they actually follow the stuff and just wanted them up just in case OSHA showed up

thats the general idea.
basically its general safety procedure related to all moving parts with things that use energy or apply pressure
lockout-tagout.jpg

its for things like maintenance and when the stuff isn't in use. you shut it down and apply locks that multiple people hold the key to to make sure no one accidentally gets hurt

Yes I'm really familiar. I work intensely as a tagout authorizing authority on ships.

My country has the most fucked up election cycle.

So we have a bunch of caucuses, right? Do those determine the frontrunner? No. Then we vote on Super Tuesday.... to.... find out if we really liked those people in the caucuses?

Then we have two goddamn national conventions to find the frontrunners.

Then we vote for realsies.

The latest Skeptic's Guide to the Universe podcast has a great discussion on Free Speech vs. Social Justice and I'm thinking of making a thread about it but then I'm also thinking that that thread would be a shitshow... decisions decisions.

Anyone else listen to that podcast?

social justice anything threads never end well on GAF. Or gaming forums.

Good christ, gaming side is being a little bit more idiotic for my tastes today.

Why is Unity being outed in that thread particularly?

Because many games made with it have loads of issues. I use Unity myself and have plenty of things to complain about it.

However, much of it may have to do with the low barrier of entry and more "casual" developers creating games with it.

Jobbs

Banned
can't fucking wait for dark souls 3 man

my academics can eat dicks when that game comes out

You can just see and hear the Bloodborne influences that seeped in, which is perfection because I always liked Dark Souls better despite recognizing some great things about Bloodborne. I like that Souls is more of an RPG with more variety and deeper systems.

This game seems to be a tour of my private fantasies

"surprise the dragon's not dead" I'd expect no less ;)

FloatOn

You can just see and hear the Bloodborne influences that seeped in, which is perfection because I always liked Dark Souls better despite recognizing some great things about Bloodborne. I like that Souls is more of an RPG with more variety and deeper systems.

This game seems to be a tour of my private fantasies

"surprise the dragon's not dead" I'd expect no less ;)

yet to play bloodborne as I do not own a PS4

I plan to remedy that one day

FUME5

What cutting edge link will you share next, the review from the guy who put Veet on his balls and arsehole?

I went to search for pubemancer, the top result is cromanions tweet, this is the second result:

FUME5 على تويتر: "@cromanionfolks A silk shirted ...
https://twitter.com/fume5/.../488503554894606336?la... - Translate this page
@cromanionfolks A silk shirted Pubemancer in his natural environment. عرض الترجمة. مُترجَمة من الإنجليزية بواسطة بينغ ترجمة غير صحيحة؟ ٧،٠١ م - ١٣ يوليو، ٢٠١٤.

What is with the arabic?

Edit

Hahah, it roughly translates to Google translation is incorrect.

Jobbs

Banned
someone sent that to me, how am I to know if it's already all over the place or not? I don't pay any attention to "all over the place"

Marrec I listened to that podcast you linked. I went in a little wary but came away thoroughly impressed. They were highly respectful and (dare I say it!) fair and balanced. It's that level of discussion which will really make progress with people.

Granadier

App got rejected by Apple because my Watch companion app was too simple. It was designed to be simple. :/

Oh well. I'll have to add more features to it or scrap it.

Jobbs

Banned
You should play them, they are both really good! And I've seen Overkill go for pennies.

It was also put together in SIX WEEKS

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Overkill_survived_its_studios_apocalypse.php

cool =) If it's on Steam for pennies I'll get it

I find it troubling how many people exist in our country who could vote for Trump... Does every advanced country have this high a percent of people who are this crazy/stupid? Or is this an American thing?

App review got rejected by Apple because the Watch companion app was too simple. It was designed to be simple. :/

Oh well. I'll have to add more features to it or scrap it.

What exactly does it do?

Shove it Jobbs

u first

Yup. Her name is Evelyn

Aww I love that name! You're so lucky! Until they turn into teenagers, right parents? :: audience applauds knowingly::

Halcyon

It's one of my favorite podcasts, consistently quality listens.

I absolve myself of all responsibility from this moment forward.

You lucky son of a bitch. That managed to keep my interest all the way home.

Also I put together the crib we got at our baby shower along with some bedding and whatnot.

Guys I stopped future quoting because people complained, now I see other people doing it increasingly

Shove it Jobbs
Not that pink has to mean girl (I wear pink) but is it a girl?? <3

Yup. Her name is Evelyn

Jobbs

Banned
Guys I stopped future quoting because people complained, now I see other people doing it increasingly

Also I put together the crib we got at our baby shower along with some bedding and whatnot.

Not that pink has to mean girl (I wear pink) but is it a girl?? <3

Granadier

Time to move onto something more ambitious, I'd say.

jk, it sounds good, hands down the best such app I've seen. you're the man of the hour

Ehh, it's one of the first ones I've made. Started it last summer and just recently had the time to finish it up. Gotta start small.

----

Stardew Valley looks cool. Only Windows though...don't really feel like running it through my VM.

Jobbs

Banned
If Stardew was on PS4 I'd have it already. It looks neat but I am hesitant to do a lot of gaming at my desk.

I think the solution for me is a gaming laptop or otherwise a secondary PC for gaming located somewhere I like sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom