• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Book 4: A Game of Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I get mad because he's just generally shit and yet all I hear from people is "he's smart!!!"

He's a fan favorite and people don't even know how awful he's been in the past.
He's not a hero like
Jon Snow or Ned Stark
, that's for sure. I think the underdog fighting back against the world resonates with a lot of people. Some people also like him because of his wits, on a very shallow level, but there is something much deeper to his cynical remarks than humor, which is something I can really appreciate. I get what you mean, though.

but the subheading of this thread is a GoT reference :O

Have you seen the shows at least? I've only read the first couple chapters of GoT.

I don't think it's fair to say the math is what's tripping people up. It's not like people would disagree that two and two are four. It's more a debate on what the formula is to begin with. It's not immediately obvious because there are a lot of different things you could want to know about the situation and many of them are very similar but have to be arrived at differently.

True, but it should also be the type of arguments that are the easiest proven.

Same thing with the Monty Hall problem. Trips a lot of people up and I don't blame them for that, but the math checks out and it is easy enough to proof. Only takes a while before people get to that point.

He's not a hero like
Jon Snow or Ned Stark
, that's for sure. I think the underdog fighting back against the world resonates with a lot of people. Some people also like him because of his wits, on a very shallow level, but there is something much deeper to his cynical remarks than humor, which is something I can really appreciate. I get what you mean, though.

But see...they don't even see the depth of his cynicism or how entitled he feels. I'm not trying to make this a "the books are better" argument; fans who watch the show only get the surface of who Tyrion actually is and it rustles my jimmies that they just take everything at face value.

Also I'm just a little salty that people actually applaud him for
killing Shae
. Yeah she betrayed him, but man, Tyrion isn't the kind of guy to kill out of spite. It's not the kind of thing someone should be a fan of.

But see...they don't even see the depth of his cynicism or how entitled he feels. I'm not trying to make this a "the books are better" argument; fans who watch the show only get the surface of who Tyrion actually is and it rustles my jimmies that they just take everything at face value.

Also I'm just a little salty that people actually applaud him for
killing Shae
. Yeah she betrayed him, but man, Tyrion isn't the kind of guy to kill out of spite. It's not the kind of thing someone should be a fan of.

Yeah, it's fine to be a fan of morally ambiguous characters and even characters who are human landfills. The problem is when people try to sanitize a character's behavior as if nothing is ever actually their fault which is massively annoying and kills all valuable discussion about the character.

AcridMeat

Banned
Shit it's pouring with rain again. I really hope I get lucky this week and have a break in the rain during my commute.

Really regretting having a soft top right now. D:

Yeah, it's fine to be a fan of morally ambiguous characters and even characters who are human landfills. The problem is when people try to sanitize a character's behavior as if nothing is ever actually their fault which is massively annoying and kills all valuable discussion about the character.

I actually like Cersei. Sure she's a massive bitch, but I value what she does over Tyrion. She's trying to protect her kids.

I can appreciate how batshit crazy she is, and other fans feel the same. I can actually debate her character.

Jobbs

Banned
I actually like Cersei. Sure she's a massive bitch, but I value what she does over Tyrion. She's trying to protect her kids.

I can appreciate how batshit crazy she is, and other fans feel the same. I can actually debate her character.

she's an irrational c word to tyrion, in the show it never seemed justified beyond "my mom died to give birth to him" even in the flashback she was a asshole to him when he was a baby. cersei's a fucking dick

and man is it jarring using XB1 a lot suddenly after mostly just playing PS4 this gen.

The GUI is SO FUCKING CONFUSING AND UNWIELDY

Mornin all, just made some coffee and churros for breakfast. Good vibes all round.

Also, figured out why I'm getting internet dropouts. It's not actually the ISP's fault, there's something wrong with the house's circuitry, because now it's affecting the strangest things.

(I'll turn my bedroom light off and the settop box will turn off and on again)

Basically, $$$ if it's not a council issue because the house isn't exactly small

she's an irrational c word to tyrion, in the show it never seemed justified beyond "my mom died to give birth to him" even in the flashback she was a asshole to him when he was a baby. cersei's a fucking dick

and man is it jarring using XB1 a lot suddenly after mostly just playing PS4 this gen.

The GUI is SO FUCKING CONFUSING AND UNWIELDY

Cersei is vile in how she treats people. A lot of things I can't even defend; the way she treated Sansa is a huge one for me. But I don't know. At least people KNOW she's shitty and don't try to pretend and quote her on Twitter.

3Yl33Fbl.png

Cersei can burn in a fire, hopefully.

I'd almost say she has a chance of making it through to the end just because it would piss everyone off. But given how myopic her plotting is and how generally irrational, paranoid, and incompetent she is, I don't see her lasting until the end.

Margaery's inevitable and brilliantly orchestrated #clapback will fuck her up.

FUME5

I'd almost say she has a chance of making it through to the end just because it would piss everyone off. But given how myopic her plotting is and how generally irrational, paranoid, and incompetent she is, I don't see her lasting until the end.

We won't know until George releases the god damn book.

Jobbs

Banned
I hate her

The 100
When she finally hooked up with Clark I went "okay, finally she's out of her contract and can just do TWD, this is it" and I was right. I also thought it was interesting seeing Lexa so vulnerable for the first time ever. That said, the whole death sequence was drawn out way too long. It got bizarre.
The 100 is a really flawed show that I can't stop watching because it's so entertaining, and I guess that's what I'm drawn to because most of my shoes are like that. The only one that's not like that is The Expanse, which is really well made and well written for the most part.

The 100
When she finally hooked up with Clark I went "okay, finally she's out of her contract and can just do TWD, this is it" and I was right. I also thought it was interesting seeing Lexa so vulnerable for the first time ever. That said, the whole death sequence was drawn out way too long. It got bizarre.
The 100 is a really flawed show that I can't stop watching because it's so entertaining, and I guess that's what I'm drawn to because most of my shoes are like that. The only one that's not like that is The Expanse, which is really well made and well written for the most part.

Honestly don't even get me started on this debate about her I've posted about it enough in The 100 thread and I'm never gonna get over it.

[screams internally]
[screams externally]

Jobbs

Banned
Honestly don't even get me started on this debate about her I've posted about it enough in The 100 thread and I'm never gonna get over it.

[screams internally]
[screams externally]

LOL, I haven't been reading the thread, can you just give me like.. a quick summary about what the debate is? I'm not asking you to re-litigate it, I just want to know what it is

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Evening fakers.

Had all you can eat sushi and drank way too much, trying the house mixed drinks. A good time was had by all.

Jobbs

Banned
I can sum it up in one image.

spoilers obviously

Basically the LGBTQ community had something great going for them, and we got queerbaited to shit. There's also this cup of piping hot tea.

I thought it was a bit lame -- her being thrown away for a twist, but the whole thing was a bit transparent. I've had her on death watch ever since I saw the first episode of Fear THe Walking Dead. I was surprised she made it this far.

THAT SAID, I've only looked at it through the lens of lazy/bad writing, I hadn't considered the LGBTQ angle. I guess it shows how evolved I am (or am not?) that I didn't even really give a second thought to Clark and Lexa being gay. It seemed ordinary to me.

That said, on second thought it's not ordinary enough on TV. We don't hvae a lot of good LBQDATR main characters in shows.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Chloe Price is pretty much my dream girl looks wise. I'm not sure where it comes from, but that look drives me wild. (sexual preferences ignored)

I thought it was a bit lame -- her being thrown away for a twist, but the whole thing was a bit transparent. I've had her on death watch ever since I saw the first episode of Fear THe Walking Dead. I was surprised she made it this far.

THAT SAID, I've only looked at it through the lens of lazy/bad writing, I hadn't considered the LGBTQ angle. I guess it shows how evolved I am (or am not?) that I didn't even really give a second thought to Clark and Lexa being gay. It seemed ordinary to me.

That said, on second thought it's not ordinary enough on TV. We don't hvae a lot of good LBQDATR main characters in shows.

I'm gonna link you to my post and I-D's post about it. I'm too lazy to type it out again.

My response

(I proceeded to get a lot of shit for this one. "It's a good twist." Lmao.)

I-D's post in which she hits the nail on the fucking head.

Jobbs

Banned
stray bullet right after first love scene
is a great twist :) I'm a dummy and even I knew it was lazy ass writing

was just sad to see her go. had a big tv crush on her.. especially after she beat prince whatever his name is in single combat. that was so hot.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Evening fakers.

Had all you can eat sushi and drank way too much, trying the house mixed drinks. A good time was had by all.
Sushi places always have the best drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom