• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Book 4: A Game of Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking with another gaffer off-site and he was questioning me eating waffles in the evening, saying it was childish. I'm just like "bitch, i'm an adult and I'll eat what I want."

Jobbs

Banned
"come visit my animal shelter"

:: shows up ::

:: is a human shelter ::

I was talking with another gaffer off-site and he was questioning me eating waffles in the evening, saying it was childish. I'm just like "bitch, i'm an adult and I'll eat what I want."

waffles are a close cousin to pancakes, aka not an ideal breakfast food. you were right to sever that friendship, which I'm assuming you immediately did

Jobbs

Banned
being the dominant species doesnt stop us being animals

sorry man

if people understand what something means, then that's what it means.

And if you go to any dictionary right now, one of the definitions is "living thing that is not a human". Depending on context, that's what it means.

Jobbs

Banned
:: village is starving due to famine ::

"we'll have to start eating all the animals!" the mayor says

the villagers turn on eachother and eat eachother. the mayor nods approvingly.

:: village is starving due to famine ::

"we'll have to start eating all the animals!" the mayor says

the villagers turn on eachother and eat eachother. the mayor nods approvingly.

cannibalism has been known to happen in survival situations, but you dont really want to go down that route cos human bacteria thats not your own can make you sick, and also prions you dont want prions.

look, people tend to draw a line between us and every other animal, i get it. draw the line if you want, but no matter what you do, we are all animals.

Calling humans animals is pretty meaningless. That's like calling gemstones rocks. Like okay yeah, but the reason we don't call them that is because they're better than everything else in the category. They're set apart.

The only category in which humans are animals is physiologically, not socially nor mentally nor anything else really. So it's a fallacy to use "animals" to demean people because it's either inaccurate or irrelevant, depending on the definition you're going for.

AcridMeat

Banned
So do you think there is no instinctual behavior? That's kind of what keeps us grounded as "animals".

We certainly set ourselves apart by not acting on such instinctual thoughts, but flat out ignoring the existence isn't quite right either in my mind.

Jobbs

Banned
If I say something and everyone in the room knows exactly what I mean, then that's what it means. Language is fluid. Incredibly, shockingly, excriliciously fluid.

Look at "literally". I wonder if it'll ever come back around to meaning what it used to.

Jobbs

Banned
What I want to know is how to put bad shit out of your head so you can focus on the matter at hand. I wish I had better control over my thoughts.

So do you think there is no instinctual behavior? That's kind of what keeps us grounded as "animals".

We certainly set ourselves apart by not acting on such instinctual thoughts, but flat out ignoring the existence isn't quite right either in my mind.

I think we have different instincts from animals. Our instincts are distinctly human, and the mere event of sharing some properties with lesser entities doesn't make us one of them.

I do. I can't explain it, but I'm just not happy with any aspect of my life, NeoGAF username included.

:(

I've tried this at various points, I can't seem to do it with any success. My head is like a bunch of voices screaming all the time, so if a bad thought gets in there it just runs free.

Do you have anyone to talk to about this?

I have an accountability partner and mentor, plus my mom and sister are both great to talk to about things.

Jobbs

Banned
Are you me? I only ever tell three people about my feelings.

I generally consider myself a sensitive person in the sense that I pay attention to peoples' feelings and am happy to listen to them talk -- That said, I don't talk about my own very much. It's just not something I've ever done, or my immediate family ever did. The way things went growing up -- Ignore real feelings and deeper problems, ignore, ignore, eventually at some point someone blows up. Go back to ignore feelings, repeat.

I never blow up though.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Uh huh. Silph, have you met AFishAficionado? :p

oh hahaha

I am fascinated by prions. Fucking misshapen infectious proteins.

prnp-prp-prion.png

Biological classifications other than the big classes is just messy. Gorilla gorilla gorilla. Makes very little sense.

PirateKing

I generally consider myself a sensitive person in the sense that I pay attention to peoples' feelings and am happy to listen to them talk -- That said, I don't talk about my own very much. It's just not something I've ever done, or my immediate family ever did. The way things went growing up -- Ignore real feelings and deeper problems, ignore, ignore, eventually at some point someone blows up. Go back to ignore feelings, repeat.

I never blow up though.

Yep, you're me. We don't share feelings in our family. I'm not entirely sure why this happened, maybe the lack of dad presence sort of made us all independent.

I've never told them how I actually feel, not even mum which is weird because we're close enough to each other.

I think we have different instincts from animals. Our instincts are distinctly human, and the mere event of sharing some properties with lesser entities doesn't make us one of them.

Totally disagree. We have different and shared instincts, thats how instincts work. This is true for us all. Thats why a kangaroo doesn't run for the sea when it's born but still has to eat. Or how a dog finds comfort in similar ways we do, like hugging a loved one.

I also think it's very important to remember that we are no different to other living things, because it's that realization that allows us to explore the human condition.

I never really expected this conversation to pan out like this, but thats my stance, i only came for banter i dont want to argue im stressed enough as it is, I need to sleep.

Jobbs

Banned
Yep, you're me. We don't share feelings in our family. I'm not entirely sure why this happened, maybe the lack of dad presence sort of made us all independent.

I've never told them how I actually feel, not even mum which is weird because we're close enough to each other.

No father here. He left us when I was very small and started another family out of state. I have a half sister that I first met (not counting seeing her as a baby a few times) when she was 22, which was just a few years ago . was beyond weird for various reasons, one of them being that she's very pretty. Seriously weird.

AcridMeat

Banned
Naturally, we have different survival mechanisms. However that doesn't mean we don't possess instinctual behavior, which is the point I was getting at.

I think our views of humanity are different in terms of how we're approaching this. To me it seems like all of the weight is put on the social side and what sets us apart, whereas I admittedly have a much more cynical view of what humans are, and so I like to think back to the origins of our species. It's really not been a long time at all since society as we know it was created.

edit: Silph made some good points too.

I never blow up though.
Yep same here. I only really talk to one friend in particular about anything. Most of my best friends didn't even know why it was just my dad and I growing up.

Has always been a struggle to talk about emotions with my family members. There's been so much screwed up garbage that we are all pretty guarded and independent.

Naturally, we have different survival mechanisms. However that doesn't mean we don't possess instinctual behavior, which is the point I was getting at.

I think our views of humanity are different in terms of how we're approaching this. To me it seems like all of the weight is put on the social side and what sets us apart, whereas I admittedly have a much more cynical view of what humans are, and so I like to think back to the origins of our species. It's really not been a long time at all since society as we know it was created.

edit: Silph made some good points too.

Ironically you wouldn't be able to make arguments nearly this cogent if you actually were an animal. ;)

I guess I would debate where you draw the line. For example, you never see someone say "Well we are all just carbon-based life forms" or "we're all animated space matter" unless they're being extremely pretentious.

No father here. He left us when I was very small and started another family out of state. I have a half sister that I first met (not counting seeing her as a baby a few times) when she was 22, which was just a few years ago . was beyond weird for various reasons, one of them being that she's very pretty. Seriously weird.

I'm sorry to hear that. Fathers leaving their family is seriously the worst thing ever.

Jobbs

Banned

I'm sorry to hear that. Fathers leaving their family is seriously the worst thing ever.

Thank you for your thought but we are the sum of our parts. All of them. As one example, if my father never left I'd never have been raised by my grandfather (who died when I was 10, but was still my everything in my formative years) to whom I attribute the development of most of my best qualities.

I can't imagine the dullard I'd be if everything was always great. (Though that's not true of everyone, I'm sure)

AcridMeat

Banned
Ironically you wouldn't be able to make arguments nearly this cogent if you actually were an animal. ;)

I guess I would debate where you draw the line. For example, you never see someone say "Well we are all just carbon-based life forms" or "we're all animated space matter" unless they're being extremely pretentious.
Well, I'm going strictly by the what I define an animal as (scientifically), a living thing. Again our behaviors are different, but that's what sets our species apart, not that we aren't animals existing in this world to begin with.

Anywho Marijuana Deathsquads is not only a fun name to say, but a dece group.

What's it like inside a crow's mind?

Let's put it another way, we use ourself as a benchmark to gauge the intelligence and "conscious" mind of other animals. Because we are all part of one spectrum, it's not about social or emotion, instinct or whatever, because we are all the same to some degree. It's the conscious mind we are debating at this point. Something we can't fathom in other creatures, but if a crow stated having a conversation with you in english, does it stop being an animal?

People wouldn't be studying this as we speak, if we blindly went through life believing we are different

Jobbs

Banned
I used to be obsessed with wondering g what the nature of consciousness and existence was for animals . I still sorta am.

A big indifferentiator is abstract thought ... Imagination. What can existence be like without it?

Thank you for your thought but we are the sum of our parts. All of them. As one example, if my father never left I'd never have been raised by my grandfather (who died when I was 10, but was still my everything in my formative years) to whom I attribute the development of most of my best qualities.

I can't imagine the dullard I'd be if everything was always great. (Though that's not true of everyone, I'm sure)

That's a very positive outlook!

I'm not sure I agree with your sentiment though. I think "great" is relative and everyone can always find something to complain about if they want to. (or maybe I'm just biased here because by most reasonable metrics my life has always been great)

Well, I'm going strictly by the what I define an animal as (scientifically), a living thing. Again our behaviors are different, but that's what sets our species apart, not that we aren't animals existing in this world to begin with.

But you wouldn't call animals organisms would you? They are–we are too! But we don't ever say "well animals are just organisms" right? Why is that?

What's it like inside a crow's mind?

Let's put it another way, we use ourself as a benchmark to gauge the intelligence and "conscious" mind of other animals. Because we are all part of one spectrum, it's not about social or emotion, instinct or whatever, because we are all the same to some degree. It's the conscious mind we are debating at this point. Something we can't fathom in other creatures, but if a crow stated having a conversation with you in english, does it stop being an animal?

People wouldn't be studying this as we speak, if we blindly went through life believing we are different

If a crow starts speaking to me in English I would have no qualms in elevating it beyond the role of animal. None whatsoever. But that's because I believe along with the ability to speak would come much greater symbol recognition, general cognition, social capability, et cetera. So it would have transcended its animal roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom