• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans are worried Metaphor won't sell well because Xbox is heavily promoting it

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Atlus likely has a marketing deal with Xbox for the promotion of Metaphor: ReFantazio, meaning the Xbox release is being promoted more visibly than the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game. This approach has been worrying some fans - the Xbox platform is nowhere near as popular as the PlayStation in Japan. Also, JRPGs tend to perform worse on Xbox because fans of that genre are less likely to own one. This is partially because some Japanese developers don't release on Xbox, because the console isn't popular in Japan. It's a sort of vicious cycle that Xbox has been facing for decades.

Fans: Xbox treats JRPG like shit, they need more titles on their consoles!

Fans also: Xbox promoting JRPG on their platform is actually hurting the games, stop it! It's sickening!

Xbox:

Confused Pulp Fiction GIF

solecon64

Although monumentally stupid, this is a genuinely funny thing to complain about :messenger_tears_of_joy: To be fair, I also think Xbox has been a gross disappointment for over 14 years now, so that might add to my opinion on this.

But man, having fans go "eeeww" just from a game being associated with that brand... what more can you say.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm already buying the game and it'll be a complete RPG all set in one game. The people that will buy it don't need any marketing.

Self fulfilling prophecy.

Gamers yesterday: Someone should market these games

Gamers today: But not THEM

Likewise

Gamers yesterday: We want more turn based RPGS

Gamers today: Ew turn based why can't they make something new this is boring.

nnytk

I'd love this game to go viral. Atlus deserve a lot of love and praise for what they're doing with this title. It's experimental in many ways.
How can they reach the Gen Z audience though? And what the flying fufu was that F1 collab about.

Last edited:
It’s not gonna sell well on Day One but that probably has more to do with most fans realizing that Sega rapidly puts their games on clearance a few months after launch.

If it doesn't sell well, it'll be name. Refantazio is as bad as Octopath Traveler, Infinite Undiscovery and Faithlessness and Integrity etc.

Last edited:
Not sure what the story is here, people are confused about an ad?
Steam even told me a demo was available, I'm sure the PS store will also have it visible when it can be purchased?

clarky

Gold Member
That's mainly a PC series and PC players play all kinds of crap genres. Means nothing.
You said they'd have to drop turn based if they wanted sales, I provided you with a turn based game that sold 15million plus.

Last time I checked this game is out on the same platforms as BG3. Must be nice in that bubble of yours.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

FF pixel remasters
FF16
Stranger of Paradise
Crisis Core
Octopath Traveller

But surely FF16 and FF7 will crack the top 50 for real this time. Counting on Jizz, Warten, Passi, CrackNorwood, Pariss and Alex Battletwinkactica on telling us how exclusivities are pathetic.

I don't get the appeal. What does this game do different narratively? It does not retain the mythological demons, so what is it that you collect in it? Personally, I abhor the wordy visual novel aspect of Persona 3+ and the social links so them making a new IP like Persona without any of the SMT edge seems counterproductive.

Hookshot

Gold Member
I'm worried it wont sell well because it looks like complete shit. Like someone threw up on a tv while playing an ugly Switch game

Top Bottom