• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantastic Four movie casting announced - some of it, anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.superherohype.com/fantasticfour/index.php?id=1691

20th Century Fox Has 3 of the 4 Fantastic Four
Source: Variety
Thursday, July 8, 2004

Variety reports that 20th Century Fox has nearly found its Fantastic Four...

Studio has signed Michael Chiklis to play Ben Grimm/the Thing, Ioan Gruffudd as Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic and Chris Evans as Johnny Storm/the Human Torch. And Jessica Alba, currently shooting Dimension's "Sin City," has emerged as most likely to play Sue Richards/the Invisible Woman, though Rachel MacAdams and Keri Russell are also candidates.

"We see 'Fantastic Four' as the last great jewel in the comicbook crown," said Fox production prexy Hutch Parker. "The casting has been extremely important in terms of fulfilling expectations of an audience that's been incredibly loyal to these characters for over 40 years."

The trade adds that the $85 million-$90 million film, directed by Tim Story, is headed for an August or September start in Vancouver. The planned release date is July 1, 2005, when it will face off against Paramount's "Mission: Impossible 3." The script was written by Simon Kinberg.

I've also heard that Elisha Cuthbert could be playing Sue. A few pics of the announced cast:

ioang02.jpg

93-11522-sm.jpg

Michael%20Chiklis.jpg

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
a little short for the Thing I think, unless everyone on the Sheild and the Commish were just really tall.

Alba is too young.

and Fantastic Four can never be cool in my mind after this mini-series... the What If cover is the only one I could find.

cover.pl

BuddyC

And Jessica Alba, currently shooting Dimension's "Sin City," has emerged as most likely to play Sue Richards/the Invisible Woman, though Rachel MacAdams and Keri Russell are also candidates.

Best news I've heard all day. I came in here expecting to cringe, I leave smiling.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
the real question is.... who is playing Doom?

Blackace said:
the real question is.... who is playing Doom?

Does it matter? The only thing that matters is the voice really (unless they do flashbacks to Doom/Richard's college days), and even then the voice could be all electronic.

DarkAngyl

David Boreanaz is rumored to be reading for a role, but no one knows what it is. It could be Doom. He does evil well...long as you don't make him use an Irish accent. ;)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DJ Demon J said:
Does it matter? The only thing that matters is the voice really (unless they do flashbacks to Doom/Richard's college days), and even then the voice could be all electronic.

It does matter... Evil has to be done correctly.....

FnordChan

levious said:
and Fantastic Four can never be cool in my mind after this mini-series... the What If cover is the only one I could find.
cover.pl

That's referencing three particularly amusing Art Adams issues, Fantastic Four #347-349. Take, for example, the cover to issue #348, described as "The World's Most Commercialest Comic Magazine". If the tongue was any more in cheek it would be poking through the other side. This ain't to say that there aren't some pretty shit moments throughout FF history, but that What If? cover is just playing along with the gag.

Meanwhile, courtesy of Grotesque Anatomy, here's another exciting installment of Out-Of-Context Comic Book Theatre:

thing_aquarian.jpg

That image and the associated blog entry was enough to send me over to the comic shop in search of old back issues of Marvel Two-In-One (staring the ever lovin' blue eyed Thing), which turned out to be the best comics purchase I'd made in ages. In particular, issues #63 through #68 - later collected in a trade as the Project Pegasus Saga - were really great stuff, especially if you grew up wallowing in old Marvel comics.

It's FnordChan time!

It's official...

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0407/14/index.htm

JESSICA ALBA JOINS FF CAST

Jessica Alba has joined the cast of Fantastic Four as Storm, the Invisible Girl, sources have confirmed for The Continuum.

Alba, 23, joins a cast that includes Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm/Thing, Chris Evans as Johnny Storm/Human Torch and Ioan Gruffudd as Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic.

Alba reportedly beat out such actresses as Elizabeth Banks (Betty Brant in Spider-Man 2) and Rachel McAdams for the role.

Alba is perhaps best known for starring in Fox's Dark Angel television series. Her movie credits include Honey and the upcoming Into the Blue and Sin City.

The cast of Fantastic Four is scheduled to appear at Comic-Con International in San Diego next week.

alba.jpg

THIS is going to play Marvel's hottest soccer mom?!? HA!
rolleyes.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't know about Alba...she seems a little on the young side to be playing Sue Richards. But I guess they want a young burner, personally if they hadto go young I would prefer Elisha Cuthbert.

Sounds good enough to me, I just hope this movie doesn't take itself too seriously. I want to see some of that Fantastic Four humor, dealing with super powers while trying to live a normal life in the public eye.

Manders

Banned
I loved the comic as much as the next person, but a live action movie is just going to be cheesy.

A rubber man is going to look stupid as hell when he's stretching all over the place like silly puddy. The rock dude looks stupid enough in the comic. Can you imagine how cheesy it'll look in the movie? The invicible woman is going to be lame too. You can't even see her. How do you know what she's doing? Is she going to give commentary like, "I'm now going to punch this guy in the face and then you won't be able to see me, but I'm gonna disarm that bomb."

The only saving grace is the fire dude. Fire is real cool. As long as he burns shit up, the movie can't be too bad. I want him to go crazy like in that one F4 comic (the white one) where he fuckin burned up the city. That rocked.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Why are they all so young accept Thing? doesnt seem right to me, i always thought F4 was cheesy, even for a marvel comic, so i dont know how they are gonna make a decent film out of it anyway.

karasu

Sue and Johnny are young (college age). Reed and Ben Griim are quite a few years older than them. Reed liks the young girls.

OmniGamer

MASB said:
I don't know about Berry in the role. She may turn out great, but at the moment, it seems like they picked someone because she's hot and (relatively) young rather than someone who may be more appropriate for the role.

...same could have said before the first X-Men movie and Storm :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom