• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chapter 11 Proto-relic sub quest:

Unintentionally the funniest shit seeing Sephiroth 'summon' Gilgamesh and then saying 'peace out bitches' to the party, lol.

Last edited:
There is no way the average player who wants to Platinum this game, is going to be able to do so. The devs lost their fucking minds with the Endgame VR missions that eventually unlock.
Yep, there's a lot of stuff that's actually locked behind some serious walls many are going to have an insurmountable trouble with.

Madflavor

Yep, there's a lot of stuff that's actually locked behind some serious walls many are going to have an insurmountable trouble with.
There’s a high level fight in the battle arena where you fight a dragon and King Zu, and you can barely go two seconds without being hit or air juggled due to King Zu’s move set, which means it’s a massive struggle to build ATB to heal or counter them with magic to pressure them. The battle system and the way ATB works, just isn’t designed for fights this chaotic. It’s made even worse that you can’t practice on the fights you’re stuck at, without going through the previous fights in the gauntlet first.

Last edited:

WoJ

I have a couple questions I haven't been able to figure out yet. I'm in the beginning of Chapter 4.

How does Aerith's Ward shift work? I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

Also, if I spend a lot of time doing side content, will that make the end game bosses easy? I want to do side stuff, but I also would prefer for everything not to be a cakewalk at the end. UNLESS there is some great post-game boss fights. Please no spoilers.

I have a couple questions I haven't been able to figure out yet. I'm in the beginning of Chapter 4.

How does Aerith's Ward shift work? I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

Also, if I spend a lot of time doing side content, will that make the end game bosses easy? I want to do side stuff, but I also would prefer for everything not to be a cakewalk at the end. UNLESS there is some great post-game boss fights. Please no spoilers.

For one, you just hold triangle and she will warp to a ward you have placed down, good for moving quickly across the battlefield or to the other side.

As far as making the end boss easier, yeah inherently leveling up more will make them easier. I wouldn't worry about it too much the game is mostly easy through the main scenario and I'm not even sure how much skipping side content would help with that. The challenge will be mostly on hard mode as far as that stuff is concerned. I'd say do the side stuff you're interested in. You can always do it later on, though consequently that will also be much easier by nature of doing it later.

Reactions: WoJ

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
When you're in an epic boss battle and this theme kicks in, building amidst the visual spectacle unfolding before you, there is nothing like it in all of gamedom, truly some of Uematsu's finest work:

Gongaga has become my favourite region, especially after obtaining a Chocobo, it's beautiful and exhilarating to explore. Still taking my sweet time and savouring every moment, doing every single thing in a region before moving on, this masterpiece deserves nothing less than that.

saintjules

Gold Member
Im playing the game in graphics mode, but i watched some streams with performance mode and the combat just looks so good at 60. Wish i can play in performance mode, but i wont sacrafice the image quality on my first playthrough. Their "coming soon" performance patch is still not out and i dont expect big improvements either

I actually found that the quality of the game in perf mode increases as you play on, which makes me feel like they were half-assing in the early stages of development.

For instance, the rock textures in Mt. Corel look much better than in Mt. Nibel.

Last edited:

begotten

I don’t remember Remake being this difficult.

Idk man.

I feel Rebirth combat is easier, more diverse in combat and much more enjoyable than Remake for me.

More party members (playstyle options), more ways to pressure and stagger, synergy skills and abilities that are actually useful (including more defensive and mobility options), aerial combat and ability variations that actually work. You get limits so much faster in this game compared to Remake also. The folio is generous with some of it's options. Perfect guard is strong. All these things that are an evolution and step up from Remake.

Last edited:

Nydius

There is no way the average player who wants to Platinum this game, is going to be able to do so.

I’m somewhere between average and hardcore: I love the game same as I loved the original, yet even I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m not getting close to Platinum. I have zero desire to bang my head against the wall for “Cant Stop, Won’t Stop” or the increasingly ludicrous VR missions and Musclehead Colosseum fights. Hell, I’ve even hit my limit with Chocobo Racing after finishing all the gold races. I’m not even sure I’m going to bother grinding to max level because it feels pointless knowing it’s not going to mean anything for Part 3.

Ridiculously challenging post-game bosses are hardly new to FF...

There’s strategically challenging late/post game bosses like the original Emerald and Ruby Weapons in OG FF7 and then there’s cheap, chaotic “difficulty” like the VR mission bosses, such as the Dragon/Zu fight Madflavor Madflavor described in his subsequent post.

Last edited:
I’m somewhere between average and hardcore: I love the game same as I loved the original, yet even I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m not getting close to Platinum. I have zero desire to bang my head against the wall for “Cant Stop, Won’t Stop” or the increasingly ludicrous VR missions and Musclehead Colosseum fights. Hell, I’ve even hit my limit with Chocobo Racing after finishing all the gold races. I’m not even sure I’m going to bother grinding to max level because it feels pointless knowing it’s not going to mean anything for Part 3.

There’s strategically challenging late/post game bosses like the original Emerald and Ruby Weapons in OG FF7 and then there’s cheap, chaotic “difficulty” like the VR mission bosses, such as the Dragon/Zu fight Madflavor Madflavor described in his subsequent post.
I think it's more this in terms of what I was saying. The width of the gate blocking platinum in Rebirth is much larger than in Remake, so many people simply won't be able to achieve platinum due to this. The variety of skills and patience needed is just larger, not that the game is inherently harder (I think it's easier in terms of combat etc).

Nydius

I think it's more this in terms of what I was saying. The width of the gate blocking platinum in Rebirth is much larger than in Remake, so many people simply won't be able to achieve platinum due to this. The variety of skills and patience needed is just larger, not that the game is inherently harder (I think it's easier in terms of combat etc).

I think that’s a fair way to put it. So many of the trophies for Rebirth require mastery of respective elements to earn. Mastery of multiple mini games, mastery of the combat system, etc. Most people, myself included, are likely to burn out before earning them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about not getting Platinum and it makes my respect for those who do earn it much higher. It’s just… it’s not 1997 where I could spend countless hours grinding Chocobo races to get Knights of the Round because I only had to worry about going to class. 🤷

Madflavor

Idk man.

I feel Rebirth combat is easier, more diverse in combat and much more enjoyable than Remake for me.

More party members (playstyle options), more ways to pressure and stagger, synergy skills and abilities that are actually useful (including more defensive and mobility options), aerial combat and ability variations that actually work. You get limits so much faster in this game compared to Remake also. The folio is generous with some of it's options. Perfect guard is strong. All these things that are an evolution and step up from Remake.

If Remake was bang your head against the wall difficult, I would’ve remembered.

Madflavor

If I die against Malenia in Elden Ring, I respawn right outsight her arena and get to fight her immediately. I get to practice practice practice. In Rebirth there are gauntlets where some fights can take 5 - 10 minutes to get through. So if you make it to fight 4/5 and you die, you start from the beginning. That’s a lot of time down the train, and that’s 3 fights you gotta get through to get back to that fight you died at, so you can learn to “git gud”. It’s sadistic game design.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think that’s a fair way to put it. So many of the trophies for Rebirth require mastery of respective elements to earn. Mastery of multiple mini games, mastery of the combat system, etc. Most people, myself included, are likely to burn out before earning them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about not getting Platinum and it makes my respect for those who do earn it much higher. It’s just… it’s not 1997 where I could spend countless hours grinding Chocobo races to get Knights of the Round because I only had to worry about going to class. 🤷
That’s kind of point of trophies, going extra mile to get them….for me as much as I LOVE this game, I don’t care about platinum enough to spend crazy amount of time get it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ve been slouching on side quests and open world activities. I did everything in junon and grasslands but after that, I only do what’s on my path. So about 30% of what’s there. Maybe some quest if it catches my attention.

And the thing I hate about open world games starts happening. Same thing was in horizon forbidden west.
Next main mission is level 31 and I am level 30. The gungaga mission.

Man… I love the game and I am fine with open world but I want to play the game my way. If I feel I have to check every box again and again in everybopen world hub, then entering a new zone is a burden „oh god 30 more points to check again and towers to climb”. And protorelic missions are the worst as they shuffle you around.

That’s on me since I was never big open world guy. I will dabble but I never 100%.

And I have a question about relationships.
If I want to obviously go with tifa, should I then avoid talking to other members? You know, the moment you get to talk to the. When you arrive at new place.
I will just talk to tifa and Aerith. I don’t want to fuck red13 lol just because I talked to him.
It was really strange not to have any option who to date in ch8 since I didn’t feel like I did anything and was just handed aerith and I wanted tifa.

Tl:dr need advice on relationships and leveling / not 100% open world.

Edit: I am overthinking it. 1 random mobs battle is 30exp or more while 1 open world activity is like 5 party exp. So it doesn’t matter

Last edited:

protonion

They totally nailed the Junon set piece!

In a way that made me sad for all the FF7 fans that have died and didn't experience it...

I don't know how to feel about the small open worlds. They are fun and don't overstay their welcome, but I think a more tight design would be better for this game.

Can't wait to see the rest!

Zelduh

Did anyone else get a crazy glitch when going back to the frog minigame in Junon region with Cait Sith? The game completely freaks out and lags and there's explosions everywhere, maybe the developers forgot you can go back to do that minigame with Cait Sith in your party lol

Madflavor

Screenshot-20240310-193857-Brave.jpg

We 93 again gents!

Faust

Perpetually Tired
I don’t remember Remake being this difficult.
Remake wasn't all that difficult, aside from Chapter 17 with how you had to manage your mana for such long periods between boss battles.

I haven't really fought a hard boss since FFXI and FFXIV. The last "mainline" difficult boss was Ozma in FF9. If you count spinoff games, then Yozora in KH3.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did anyone else get a crazy glitch when going back to the frog minigame in Junon region with Cait Sith? The game completely freaks out and lags and there's explosions everywhere, maybe the developers forgot you can go back to do that minigame with Cait Sith in your party lol
I went and looked this up, sure enough seems like a repeatable bug

Doomtrain

I’m enjoying parts of this game, but the pacing is bizarre. I’d say less than half of my time has resembled “playing Final Fantasy” and the other half has mostly been generic open-world checklists and minigames. I keep wanting to just really dive into the core gameplay, and the game is making that incredibly difficult.

Madflavor

Remake wasn't all that difficult, aside from Chapter 17 with how you had to manage your mana for such long periods between boss battles.

I haven't really fought a hard boss since FFXI and FFXIV. The last "mainline" difficult boss was Ozma in FF9. If you count spinoff games, then Yozora in KH3.

I’ve been tackling the hardest content the past couple of days. They definitely went way too far this time around. I fundamentally disagree with Platinum Trophies that require the player to bash their face against a wall for hours and hours until they beat it. Most FF fans are in their 30s and 40s. A lot of us have jobs, marriage, kids, etc.

The main sin is the fact that the the hard content comes in the form of gauntlets. Spending 15+ minutes on a gauntlet, only to die and start all over, is soul crushing. If you have 1-2 hours to play games on a work night, your whole night could be failing one VR mission.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
I’ve been tackling the hardest content the past couple of days. They definitely went way too far this time around. I fundamentally disagree with Platinum Trophies that require the player to bash their face against a wall for hours and hours until they beat it. Most FF fans are in their 30s and 40s. A lot of us have jobs, marriage, kids, etc.

The main sin is the fact that the the hard content comes in the form of gauntlets. Spending 15+ minutes on a gauntlet, only to die and start all over, is soul crushing. If you have 1-2 hours to play games on a work night, your whole night could be failing one VR mission.

I would suggest you look up guides then. A guide can trivialize many of the game's encounters, especially with the proper set up. Maybe grind out some more materia to max as well.

SCB3

Chapter 8 done, I'm still confused on what

Zack

is doing, like when does this part even take part?

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
The more I get further into this game, the less I like it.

Things it does well
- The FF7 cast is just as great as it always was.
- World design is phenominal
- Battle system finally has won me over. I was pissed when they said it'd be action based. I hated it in Remake. For some reason it's "clicked" for me finally. Probably because I'm always switching characters now.

Things it doesn't do well
- Any time they try to recreate a moment from the original game, it doesn't work as well. Especially the more quiet somber moments
-I hate that Lodbrock is in this. Why are they trying to make a cell phone game character important in this
- FF7 was already an over-complicated game that people have been debating the meaning of for decades. Instead of making original plot points clearer, they're introducing new elements like Wutai - Shrina politics
- The Hamauzu music is drowning out Uematsu songs. The soundtrack barely feels like it uses any songs from the original game. A few things here and there. But it's something like a 80% new songs, 20% old songs. There are also plenty of songs that are remixed beyond recognition. For me, the best moment was the Mithril Mines of all places. Perfectly captured the mood there, musically.

I'm still enjoying the game more than any FF besides 14 in the last twenty years. But I'm spicious.

Madflavor

I would suggest you look up guides then. A guide can trivialize many of the game's encounters, especially with the proper set up. Maybe grind out some more materia to max as well.

Yeah still too early to look up guides. Hope at some point we get some decent cheese methods. Most of my materia is maxed out, but it's really a situation where your stats only help so much. Almost everything regarding the Legendary VR missions is a skill check. There's a bunch of them that are 10 round gauntlets.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ch10.
I have almost everyone relationship on blue 1 tab away from full circle.
Now how do I not f it up to get max with tifa ?
It almost seems random. I don’t want to skip dialogue with everyone

Also, Was this red stuff in original? Cause this is some sweet baby crap.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I went and looked this up, sure enough seems like a repeatable bug

I know cait seath was in original but he doesn’t fit the rebirth one bit. Maybe as a one time cutscene thingy… but as a party member it’s too many damn characters. The game is quite easy as is. I don’t feel the need to ever change to him.
Tbh, I know this is sacrilegious but imo, the only party members should be tifa, aerith, barret and yuffie… maybe. Red is weak. He doesn’t do anything special. He is just a cool character so we can include him for that. Yuffie though is a murdered. Throw + elemental ninjago and Doppleranger? She melts normal fools.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Am I crazy or does the frame rate get better as you play in graphics mode? When I started it everything looked choppy as hell but now it’s so smooth.
That’s a power of your brain my dear student.
I will teach you the ways of 30fps.
You mustn’t switch to 60 or you will reset your brain and you enter 30fps pain zone for another evening.

Lol limit some game to 20 and then to 30. You will question yourself how can 60 be any better lol. It’s all perception when you get used to it. Obviously 60 is best but adaptability is strong

Am I crazy or does the frame rate get better as you play in graphics mode? When I started it everything looked choppy as hell but now it’s so smooth.
I will say this, first time I booted up the game the intro FMV was choppy as hell, like so totally fucked it looked like it was trying to display 18 fps or something weird. When I restarted the game and started another new game it worked fine. It's possible that there is some bug at the start that has a chance to occur? I originally started my game before the download was fully finished, so I wonder if that had something to do with it.

NeoLed

Ch10.
I have almost everyone relationship on blue 1 tab away from full circle.
Now how do I not f it up to get max with tifa ?
It almost seems random. I don’t want to skip dialogue with everyone

Also, Was this red stuff in original? Cause this is some sweet baby crap.
From what I read, we can replay the chapter and hardpick the date after finishing the game. Just roll with it maybe

From what I read, we can replay the chapter and hardpick the date after finishing the game. Just roll with it maybe
Yes.

I would say just go with whatever's most natural to you it's the best way IMO.

Then once you beat the game you can force it to pick whichever party remember you want and it's kind of interesting to just play naturally and see who you end up with anyway.

Pelao

Just finished chapter 11, the Nibelheim one.
As far as game mechanics and world design are concerned, I love the game. It surpasses XVI and VII Remake.
But my goodness, some of the changes are so fucking unnecessary, and in some cases end up delivering a much worse narrative experience than the original, all just in service of filler dungeons that don't add anything meaningful to the game.
I felt this way with some of the previous chapters, especially with Cosmo Canyon and whatever they were going for with the Gi, but I was still able to recognize some positive additions.
But I can't, in good faith, say that any of the changes to the Nibelheim chapter were good. It just sucked.

fallingdove

If I die against Malenia in Elden Ring, I respawn right outsight her arena and get to fight her immediately. I get to practice practice practice. In Rebirth there are gauntlets where some fights can take 5 - 10 minutes to get through. So if you make it to fight 4/5 and you die, you start from the beginning. That’s a lot of time down the train, and that’s 3 fights you gotta get through to get back to that fight you died at, so you can learn to “git gud”. It’s sadistic game design.
Wasn't it about the same thing for the higher levels of VR simulator in remake? I remember the Shiva + Chocobo + Leviathan + Bahamut gauntlet being pretty tough…

Madflavor

Wasn't it about the same thing for the higher levels of VR simulator in remake? I remember the Shiva + Chocobo + Leviathan + Bahamut gauntlet being pretty tough…

Remake did have that but there weren't as challenging compared to Rebirths, nor did they have as many. Rebirth even has 10 round gauntlets.

fallingdove

Remake did have that but there weren't as challenging compared to Rebirths, nor did they have as many. Rebirth even has 10 round gauntlets.
Interesting. I double-platinumed remake and was planning on getting platinum with this one. Sounds like I’ll need to skip in favor of making progress on the 2024 backlog.

Madflavor

Interesting. I double-platinumed remake and was planning on getting platinum with this one. Sounds like I’ll need to skip in favor of making progress on the 2024 backlog.

I've been Trophy Hunting, and it's soul crushing in this one. I honestly don't think I'll plat it either. But I'm just killing time till DD2.

Top Bottom