• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Belthazar

One thing I really like on the open world are the treasure caches. They're nothing too elaborate, but usually offer a visually distinct structure to explore with some chests with fixed content (which is something that would be severely lacking if the exploration only had those respawning items as collectables).

I wish they could've gone further with those, tho. Making them more elaborate and with more chests. Kinda like bite sized dungeons.

Last edited:
Can't stop won't stop side quests spoilers
omfgg... I hate this so much. I know so many people are going to absolutely hate having to get these high scores in all the mini ganes. I did most of them one first or second try but this 3D Brawler is 3D Bullshit. I fucking hate it, 3 completely different attacks in each side that all look very similar for the most part... I hate this.
This was so tough. You really have to study his moves which took me a while.

LordCBH

Same with Kyrie

200.gif

One thing I really like on the open world are the treasure caches. They're nothing too elaborate, but usually offer a visually distinct structure to explore with some chests with fixed content (which is something that would be severely lacking if the exploration only had those respawning items as collectables).

I wish they could've gone further with those, tho. Making them more elaborate and with more chests. Kinda like bite sized dungeons.
I wish there were more often weapons and whatnot in them, most of the time they are materials but the crafting is useful and fun to level up, so I always clear the caches. I like them, just something else fun to find.

Just so much better than XVI. XVI could have been so much more. Hoping XVII will take XVI base functions and give it crafting that's at least as good as Rebirth, add back in elemental affinities and weaknesses and other elements it was sorely missing. And sticking with the dark narrative would be great, the game sure
falls off an absolute and utter cliff when Ultima becomes the focus. I hated it so much because they had something really decent going just with the political intrigue.

Belthazar

Who's idea was it to put Cosmo Canyon in Rebirth and not make it at sunset? It takes so much away from the atmosphere.

Finally jumping into this today. Combat has a ton of potential and I'm excited to go further.

But what is up with the performance? At times it is super impressive, but far too often it is running like shit. The entire opening cutscene was stuttering like crazy. I assume I'm not an isolated incident here? I'm pretty surprised how prevalent it is. But have no issue taking my time with the game and hopefully things improve over time.

Yo, wasn't sure where to ask this, just finished FF7 remake for the first time. Trying to decide what to play next. What game has a better performance mode between this and 16?

Edit: not asking which game is better.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
Im playing the game in graphics mode, but i watched some streams with performance mode and the combat just looks so good at 60. Wish i can play in performance mode, but i wont sacrafice the image quality on my first playthrough. Their "coming soon" performance patch is still not out and i dont expect big improvements either

I don’t know if I have it in me to do these checklists for every open world segment. It’s very repetitive, I’m sick of hearing Mai and Chadley, and I’m sick of getting stopped and hearing the chime every time a task is completed

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How is the battle square first fight the toughest one in the game lol.
I gave up. Thankfully the game accepts giving up and lets you continue

I don’t know if I have it in me to do these checklists for every open world segment. It’s very repetitive, I’m sick of hearing Mai and Chadley, and I’m sick of getting stopped and hearing the chime every time a task is completed

Then don't do them? They are optional

For me. I enjoy them greatly. They add to the pacing by giving me a breather from the main story. The loot-reward system in them is also extremely good. I choose to take my time with this game and not rush it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude the fucking cactuars are impossible. You know what I am talking about. wtf do I do. I don’t even have time to assess
Edit: nvm got it 5th time around.

Anyway - the whole gold saucer part is too much bloat for me. I just want to get back to the story. Costa del Sol was already the same type of bloat but it felt like needed relaxation. This saucer stuff is just same bloat too soon.
It’s all well don’t and entertaining but I am 40 hours into the game by that point. Remake took 35 hours with all side quests

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Im playing the game in graphics mode, but i watched some streams with performance mode and the combat just looks so good at 60. Wish i can play in performance mode, but i wont sacrafice the image quality on my first playthrough. Their "coming soon" performance patch is still not out and i dont expect big improvements either
By the time few hours pass you will forget you play at 30. For sure next morning when you boot up the game, 30 will be just fine. I promise you. Just don’t go around switching to 60 if you plan to play in graphics mode. The quick comparison resets your brain lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yo, wasn't sure where to ask this, just finished FF7 remake for the first time. Trying to decide what to play next. What game has a better performance mode between this and 16?

Edit: not asking which game is better.
Seriously. Enough is enough. Half of this thread is people talking about performance mode.
If you are choosing a game based on which one holds 60fps better, rebirth it is.
But also, you are playing for wrong reasons.

Seriously. Enough is enough. Half of this thread is people talking about performance mode.
If you are choosing a game based on which one holds 60fps better, rebirth it is.
But also, you are playing for wrong reasons.
Oh give it a rest. I've been in this thread exactly once.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’m almost through Cosmo Canyon/Chapter 10 and I’m really starting to hit my limit with the open world fluff and TOO MANY mini games. Sometimes I wonder if this is a fantasy RPG or a mini game collection because every damn time I make further progress the game throws even more mini games in the way.

Need to advance the plot? Do this mini game.
Side mission? Mini game.
Open world collect-a-thon quest? Mini game.
Relationship building? Mini game.

I get that the original game had fan favorite mini games with G Bike, snowboarding, and Chocobo Racing but they’ve gone overboard with Rebirth.

Absolutely agreed. I didn’t mind him in Remake because he was a minor character to facilitate summons and materia but they’ve turned him into a constant annoyance.
Yeah it gets really annoying. I started feeling open world repetition already in junon after doing 100% grasslands and 100% junon.
Then there is another and another and another area but with more and more mini games.
I was fine with all mini games to be in Costa del Sol as mid relaxation chapter.
But no. To place the saucer so soon after is a mistake. I am tired of open world and damn bad mini games.
I am finding myself skipping the bloat and giving up on some mini games where it’s possible.

TheAssist

Without spoiling anything, the ending 2 hours of the game are a narrative pile of WTF. Someone got Kingdom Hearts writing up in this bitch.
Great, I'm looking forward to it!

Also this was very expected, dont know why people are still somehow surprised or upset about it. But so far I liked the wtf moments in this. They are few and far between, nothing that detracts much from the core journey. And if they all put it at the end I think thats good. Everyone can enjoy this great adventure and the crazy folks like me have something to talk about after the ending.

Also, I just had one of my favorite moments in the game in a
Cosmo Canyon
sidequest. I just stood there for several minutes taking it all in. Somehow being nostalgic about the original and Remake at the same time and just thinking that this moment is what I dreamed the game to be. Just very personal character moments.

TheAssist

Yeah it gets really annoying. I started feeling open world repetition already in junon after doing 100% grasslands and 100% junon.
Then there is another and another and another area but with more and more mini games.
I was fine with all mini games to be in Costa del Sol as mid relaxation chapter.
But no. To place the saucer so soon after is a mistake. I am tired of open world and damn bad mini games.
I am finding myself skipping the bloat and giving up on some mini games where it’s possible.
Personally I enjoy most of the minigames a lot. Gives some much needed change to the overall pace. I find it curios that people dont like them. Would just fighting over and over and over again be better for you? This lack of change is why I often dont like open world games. You do the same shit over and over again for 50 hours. While Rebirth is not free from that fault, its much less pronounced. I actually 100% every region so far and it never got boring to me. Someone who never does that in any other open world game. Also I think these are some of the best minigames (at least some of them) ever put in a game like this.

I'm trying to think of a game that gave me this much variety of things to do in a single game and I cant think of one. I'm just looking forward to the next minigame. The one in Cosmo Canyon made me especially happy, because I thought about this mechanic a lot in recent times and that they should bring it back in a smaller scale. And ta da, there it is.

What would you say is an example of a good minigame in a game? Or do you think everything that is not the main mechanic is automatically bad?

Thaedolus

RE Chapter 8:

I don’t think Dyne went out heroically, more like a suicide by cop scenario 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m more bugged by Biggs being alive…wasn’t Wedge the only one that fate intervened for in remake? Or am I misremembering?

RE Chapter 8:

I don’t think Dyne went out heroically, more like a suicide by cop scenario 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m more bugged by Biggs being alive…wasn’t Wedge the only one that fate intervened for in remake? Or am I misremembering?
They explain it a little more but it's still unsatisfactory and IMO pointless.

SkylineRKR

RE Chapter 8:

Biggs was shown alive in the final scene of FF Remake. In Rebirth we learn he pops up in Zacks survival timeline, where meteor already has been cast.

He's just as dead as Jessie and Wedge in the original timeline.

Belthazar

I can't believe Nanaki's old sage behavior was an act and he just starts behaving like a puppy when he gets home. It's incredible how the game pulls of every bit of ridiculousness they throw at that character. Also, now I understand why they had to record 2 versions of every sidequests he had a part in. I'm really eager to replay those with puppy Nanaki, especially the Chicken one.

Personally I enjoy most of the minigames a lot. Gives some much needed change to the overall pace. I find it curios that people dont like them. Would just fighting over and over and over again be better for you? This lack of change is why I often dont like open world games. You do the same shit over and over again for 50 hours. While Rebirth is not free from that fault, its much less pronounced. I actually 100% every region so far and it never got boring to me. Someone who never does that in any other open world game. Also I think these are some of the best minigames (at least some of them) ever put in a game like this.

I'm trying to think of a game that gave me this much variety of things to do in a single game and I cant think of one. I'm just looking forward to the next minigame. The one in Cosmo Canyon made me especially happy, because I thought about this mechanic a lot in recent times and that they should bring it back in a smaller scale. And ta da, there it is.

What would you say is an example of a good minigame in a game? Or do you think everything that is not the main mechanic is automatically bad?

Yeah, I'm on the same boat. Every minigame they throw at me is usually either really good or at least a nice diversion from the main game. And even in the VERY few instances where the mingames were more middling they never once lasted enough to bother me.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chapter 11:

Holy shit, chapter 11 is a fucking slog.

It feels like I'm playing VII Remake again, it's paced so bad.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Finished it yesterday and somehow it didn't do it for me. I like remake more maybe i am not that much of an open world fan. Wanted to love this also and i got hooked but it didn't give me the feeling and excitement i hoped for. Also the soundtrack felt weirdly weak to me maybe the remixes and new stuff didn't hit like the original. Also waiting another three years for part three sucks. The final fight was epic i admit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
date question ch8
In costa del sol and in ch8 golden saucer, aerith was my date.... but how?
All I wanted is Tifa. I don't remember making a choice. I was building relationship with whole team evenly on every occasion.
And does it matter at al ?
And how do I strengthen relationship aside from talking to them in towns? Do I get more points for having them on my team? I am usually going to battle with aerith and barret

Last edited:

Just_one

Without spoilers how do i go to the south of corel to those 3 radio towers? Cant find a way so i just went into the mountain hopefully its on the other side.

Belthazar

Locking progress behind Queensblood skill was certainly a choice, lucky I like it really

There's no progress locked behind Queens Blood AFAIK. In every instance of the game where Queen's Blood is part of the story you can just lose or give up.

Thaedolus

RIP to anyone who sucks at Queen’s Blood and missed this track on the boat

On the contrary, I suck at QB and heard that fucking song on repeat for like a half hour straight until I gave up and beat her the next day.

And I agree that the mini games are usually good to great but whoever decided to make the buggy shooting game aim with left stick and move the buggy with the right stick is an idiot

Last edited:

TheAssist

Holy shit, chapter 11 is a fucking slog.

It feels like I'm playing VII Remake again, it's paced so bad.
Could you put that in spoiler tags please? Reading how someone feels about a certain section can have a big influence on ones preconception. I was just about to start that chapter. Luckily I liked Remake and didnt have that big of a problem with its pacing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Could you put that in spoiler tags please? Reading how someone feels about a certain section can have a big influence on ones preconception. I was just about to start that chapter. Luckily I liked Remake and didnt have that big of a problem with its pacing.

There's no context in there, but sure i'll put it under tags. You should probably edit my quote in the post too.

Belthazar

At first I was really down on Gongaga's open world due to a lack of landmarks for navigation, but it ended up clicking with me. But Cosmo Canyon... Man, what a slog to go through.

The verticality really doesn't work when the means to gain altitude are so controlled and somewhat scripted. They really should've gone the extra mile and made the Gliding usable everywhere.

Also, someone said I should've kept playing when I complained about it not being sunset in the region... Well, I'm playing and I'm almost ready to leave the place and it's still that same lame morning sun.

Last edited:

Belthazar

There is no way the average player who wants to Platinum this game, is going to be able to do so. The devs lost their fucking minds with the Endgame VR missions that eventually unlock.

It was basically the same with Remake and Intergrade... And people managed just fine. This one is probably easier too, as there are even more mechanics the can break the game.

Ridiculously challenging post-game bosses are hardly new to FF... And unless they are something like FF X's Dark Aeons I really don't see much of an issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom