• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Nankatsu

Gold Member

Man, the whistle...the goddamn whistle. So freaking good.

4e1c2cd6cb7c5c888ec040166a2cce9d.gif

Last edited:

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I REALLY want to buy this game, but I know when all parts are out they will release it all together in prob some sick collectors edition. The wait will suck

Nymphae

Banned
I'm pretty sure the "hold triangle" doors are actually there to mask loading of a new area.

It doesn't appear to be doing that a lot of the time, what I think is doing that is the crawlspaces where you can't move fast or move the camera.

Vawn

Banned
I REALLY want to buy this game, but I know when all parts are out they will release it all together in prob some sick collectors edition. The wait will suck

That could be many years. And good luck not getting completely spoiled before hand (if you think you know the twists because you've played FFVII, you're wrong).

FF7R is definitely a full JRPG. It doesn't feel like an incomplete game by any means, and definitely worth the price. It's my personal GOTY by a good margin.

Pagusas

Elden Member
That could be many years. And good luck not getting completely spoiled before hand (if you think you know the twists because you've played FFVII, you're wrong).

FF7R is definitely a full JRPG. It doesn't feel like an incomplete game by any means, and definitely worth the price. It's my personal GOTY by a good margin.

Yup, my game of the generation. missing it would be foolish.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've had time to mull it over and honestly I still think this is a redefining experience of what a remake can be. I think it's one of my favorite games of the generation. Despite that, god I'm disappointed in a few things...

I hate how post game is set up, sure it's cool you can chapter swap at any time, but man, why are the new battles in the arena locked to hard mode? This alone wouldn't be so bad, but charging 500 gil per battle kinda sucks, you could easily run out if you suck like I do. The game's overall structure isn't conducive to easy grinding like most FF games. I was super hyped to find out you could new game+ in hard mode, but the MP/item restriction just seems stupid. Kingdom Hearts' critical mode is super well balanced without these dumbass restrictions, a hard mode should push you to smartly utilize all of the game's mechanics, not remove certain mechanics for artificial difficulty. I really hope they add an in-between mode between Normal and Hard. I also wish I could get two Magnify Materia. Also why did they forget the exchange all button from the OG game? Swapping high level materia between characters was harder than it needed to be.

That's all incredibly minor stuff though, the amount of joy I got from this game was unmatched by pretty much any other game this generation. Bravo Square.

On a positive note
Hoooooly shit The Arsenal Boss with Barret and Aerith, that was amazing with an amazing boss theme remix.
But...

Removing items DOES push you to smartly utilize all the game's mechanics. Being able to fill up your MP all the time with items allows you to throw MP management completely out the window

Kumomeme

Currently fighting the
Hell House
. This has to be one of the most unbalanced and unfair bullshit fights in the history of video games. I'm so close to quit this stupid game.

If you enter the battle with only one elemental spell then you're fucked. Still i somehow managed to get it very low on HP after 1 hour (at least) of an extremely annoying fight.
git gud...i also come unprepared but somehow make it through and didnt take that much time...personally the boss fight in this game is well done made

Pagusas

Elden Member
Currently fighting the
Hell House
. This has to be one of the most unbalanced and unfair bullshit fights in the history of video games. I'm so close to quit this stupid game.

If you enter the battle with only one elemental spell then you're fucked. Still i somehow managed to get it very low on HP after 1 hour (at least) of an extremely annoying fight.

you are just really not good at the game... that fight was FUN!

Nymphae

Banned
Granted the tv show is a newer product and not 1/4 of a remake that we didnt get

I just don't understand some of these takes....given the nature of this project it's understandable that the entire thing would not be completed at this point and able to fit into one media purchase. The way I see it it's like a trilogy of movies or something, I have no problem enjoying this now and then anticipating the next installment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
10 hours in and just reached Chapter 8. This game just keeps getting better and better for me. It's totally different than the original in a lot of ways, but manages to capture the feel, or at least the feel of how I remember it. This is definitely up there with Resident Evil 2 REmake if not better in terms of how to pull off a remake of an old classic.

Something about it just feels so late 90s/early 00s, and I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mokrawr

Banned
Oh my god Final Fantasy VII Remake has finally arrived! It's definitely an experience that lives up to those years of hype!

I've heard that FFVII added a ton of story detail in-game, along with a completely new combat system. Really excited about it!

KrisB

Just did the dance scene and .... well that was fabulous as fuck! Was not expecting that but man did I enjoy it hahah
I just did that part yesterday, was hilarious and didn't expect it. Gave me some Yakuza vibes.

Up to Chapter 13 now and still loving it.

As expected I started to tear up at the part where you go back to Aerith's place after she has been captured and her caregiver tells her story of how she found Aerith. Gets me every time

slade

Just got to Ch. 11. That Hellhouse fight 💪. It was definately an eye opener for me. To that point, I'd been playing the game more like an actioner and only switching characters somewhat. That fight did a lot to teach me about MP and spell management and switching to someone else besides Cloud. Finally got it done after three tries.

The Wall Market section and the dance off was also pretty great. Characters make the game and I'm loving the interactions between Cloud/Aerith/Tifa.

Also, anybody know what that piece of music is when Aerith brings up 'the first guy she ever loved.' It is the same piece of music that played in the 2015 reveal trailer when Cloud was shown. Is it in the soundtrack? If so, which track?

Just_one

Currently on Chapter 14 and have a 2 questions concering side quests

1 - can i come back and do the last pull-up challenge after i beat the game?
2 - only missing one Corneo stash which is in the sewers , after some investigating i found i have to go down there with that grey hair dude that works for corneo since its the only way to enter the sewers. can i complete the side quest this way?

nowhat

Currently on Chapter 14 and have a 2 questions concering side quests
Regarding 2, you don't have to do it that way, although it is the most convenient method. You can also return later on your own (which I did, because I missed it the way you suggested).

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Haha, I know there was no motorbike epic chase scene in the opening part of the original game...

I just couldnt remember if he was a character you met, it was a few beers ago since I played the original.

I what I meant, don't remember that character in the original.

The Shepard

Pride and joy done! After 70 hours I still love this combat. The boss battles are excellent. Best jrpg combat ever and will only get better with the sequels I imagine.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Exactly. For everyone asking for an open world, Square has no good track with making open world games. Maybe if FFXV had dropped that and instead focused more in being a well written and had better gameplay, it could have been one of the best games in the series. They had good ideas there, just very poorly utilized

VII remake is smaller, but uses well the areas it has, the gameplay is great, the expanded scenes with the cast are great too. So far, my only complaint is non the technical side. in one moment, it might look like one of the best games of the gen, but then we have the slums, wich look awful.
Well written and final fantasy dear lord..

12 seems like an anomaly looking back.
As that game was good

Kumomeme

finished the game for 48 hours and i cant comprehended how some people said the combat is chaotic

its chaotic if we didnt understand the mechanic and monster pattern, as fans of souls game, DD, etc personally the combat is definitely among the best out there....like heaven and earth compared to xv..this time the combat had direction, and it pretty challenging despite on normal...even normal mob could wipe out your party if screw up..i like how each monster had their own pattern and different way to tackled it..its kind of like playing souls game where you must learn the monster pattern and react properly.... the game cleverly demand player utilize the combat system(the atb, stagger etc) and character abilities/elemental magic..there lot of good boss fight and most of them pretty challenging and well designed..these bosses even had phases which is you must react properly and some of these fight utilize the environment...coming from ffxiv where the combat demand on standing on correct position,environment cover and dealing with bosses multiple phase and mechanic, i really appreaciate this stuff...there even clever way of utilizing specific battle stage shape like how fight with sawfish is

the combat wont be chaotic if you understand and play it properly..like the demo we saw look how the devs handle the combat gracefully
im still not fully get grasp of the combat yet, but one of tip i learned is the enemy will shift attention towards which ever character player controll at, so player must cleverly switching character to avoid getting constantly receiving blow of attack to recover hp ...abilities like maximum fury, ray of judgement and starshow its like best friend to me

the rest of game, minus low res texture issue and npc, is well done..while the level design also sometime recycled, is good....there good balance of exploration mechanic and the team do good job flesh out the character with tons of cinematic...its feels like i playing sony's first party linear game...main gripe to me despite there just few side quest, it feels like poor padding fetch quest..i hope next entry they can give more focus, atleast proper storyline given how smaller the number is...and personally kind of dissapointed with the ending..the stuff especially the watching glimpse of future/fight to change destiny feels like a fillers to me..those arbiter of fate/whispers is annoying like they just distrupt storyline/scene instead of contributing towards it lol....hope they didnt dramatically change things for next sequel but the things come before and overall is amazing...music is amazing ....not fan that sometime i can hear 13 vibe (which is probably hamauzu works)

also, last bike chasing section is pure adreline and kind of remind me of AC bike chase scene ...cloud really turn wild once he got bike lol

the team already laid good foundation that will be carried out for next entry..maintain it wont be easy i expect there should be quality jump but next part is the real challenge as the world outside midgar is basically big open area compared to tight hallway corridor of midgar section..they need increase the scope and hopefully it will stay exclusive for next gen...those ssd will help alleviate lot of technical issue and limitation

Last edited:
Top Bottom