• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Durante said:
I noticed that this even works while your party is split (resulting in having thousands of CP to spend every time you switch to a new group after a long sequence)
That is hot.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Zeliard said:
Is it true that the Pulse chapter, #11, is as big in content as all of the preceding ones combined? That would go some way towards remedying the issues with linearity, even if you're back in the corridor after that chapter.
If you like hunts, yes. Duckroll and I (the two most important people on earth) each spent more than 20 hrs in that chapter.

Zeliard said:
Is it true that the Pulse chapter, #11, is as big in content as all of the preceding ones combined? That would go some way towards remedying the issues with linearity, even if you're back in the corridor after that chapter.

Pulse is gigantic. It's easily as big as all the chapters before.

Durante

Einbroch said:
Commando slows down the reduction, Ravager increases the maximum by more. If you only use Ravager, the bar depletes very quickly but the maximum increases rapidly. If you only use Commando, the bar will deplete slowly but will also reach the maximum slowly.
That's what I'm saying, but I'm wondering how it works exactly. Has anyone reverse engineered the formulas (yeah, I'm a geek :p) or figured out the exact optimum amount of time that should be spent doing commando attacks before going fully ravager?

Davedough said:
Aren't all FF games linear? I mean, I've played them all (sans XI) and they're all Point A to Point B games with some slight sidequests thrown in later for spice. You still follow the path given before you and there are very few choices that make any real impact on the game. Why is this a complaint by the masses when going in you know FF is going to be linear?
Well, I think it has something to do with FF 12 being one of the (if not the) least linear FFs, particularly in level layout, and it being followed by one of the most linear. Still, the outrage -- particularly by a few elements in the gaming media -- is ridiculous.

Durante said:
That's what I'm saying, but I'm wondering how it works exactly. Has anyone reverse engineered the formulas (yeah, I'm a geek :p) or figured out the exact optimum amount of time that should be spent doing commando attacks before going fully ravager?

3xRavager are able to keep the chain up all the time, impossible with 2xRavager though.

Played for a couple of hours last night, just got up to where the Paradigm Shift is introduced into gameplay and had to call it a night.

So far so good, really enjoying the battle system so far, although it has been a lot of X, X, X, X, X - but I'm led to believe it does get a lot more in depth soon. Graphics are fantastic, and I can't get the battle theme out of my head.

Overall very impressed :D Looking forward to getting home tonight and getting further into the game.

Einbroch

Banned
Davedough said:
I really dont understand, probably because my copy is still sitting with my name on it in a store the smells like nerd sweat.

Aren't all FF games linear? I mean, I've played them all (sans XI) and they're all Point A to Point B games with some slight sidequests thrown in later for spice. You still follow the path given before you and there are very few choices that make any real impact on the game. Why is this a complaint by the masses when going in you know FF is going to be linear?
FF12 was so completely non-linear it just seems like a step back, at least to me.

That, and I've literally been running through corridors the width of my dorm hallway for a good seven hours now. All FF games are linear, but they have the illusion of non-linearity and give you the option to do other things. Explore towns, talk to citizens, revisit old areas, minigames, etc. Nothing like that has popped up thus far.

That said, I really enjoy the game and have put in a good 8 hours since last night.

h3ro

Got home from work just in time to catch the UPS guy.

I have the game in my left hand and my
guide
in the other. :D

Google

Einbroch said:
FF12 was so completely non-linear it just seems like a step back, at least to me.

What do you mean by non-linear.

From what I remember, the story progressed in the exact same fashion as any other game in the series. You're simply offered a few different routes to get to the story start-off point.

Yeah, you can choose to kill a specific enemy in map a-1 or map a-2, but that's not non-linearity, that's simply a bigger corridor.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
h3ro said:
I have the game in my left hand and my
WHAT?
in the other. :D
1ta6om.jpg

Google said:
What do you mean by non-linear.

From what I remember, the story progressed in the exact same fashion as any other game in the series. You're simply offered a few different routes to get to the story start-off point.

Yeah, you can choose to kill a specific enemy in map a-1 or map a-2, but that's not non-linearity, that's simply a bigger corridor.
Yeah but a whole bunch of interconnected "hyrule fields" like XII is a degree of non-linearity greater than one long hallway.

I mean I'm LOVING XIII, but YES it is one long hallway for awhile.

Merovin

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Everything she does , be it walking or jumping resides in a sexual groan. I swear it's not just me, my wife said the same thing. I kinda think an aussie accent is hot.

I'm having this difficulty! One moment I find her voice annoying, then she says something else and I'm like no wait, her accent is hot. Then repeat. Need to make up my mind!

I remember reading an earlier post today saying that the battle ranking effects the chance of getting item drops from enemies. Another person I know that has played the game says that it has no effect on that. What is the truth behind this?

argh, panic-bought the Collector's Edition of the game fearing it will be sold out and/or I would have to pay even more.

...and I totally forgot about the (PAL) strategy guide, I'm actually kinda collecting the FF ones, so I also (panic-)bought the Collector's Edition of the book :lol

expensive month and I could have just preordered the stuff to get it sooner :(

Google

JSnake said:
My copy of FFXIII just arrived! And my sister won't let me play it until she gets home at 9 PM. what the fuck

JSnake
I am sixteen, homeschooled, live with my parents, and have no financial obligations to speak of.
(Today, 01:12 PM)

h3ro

JSnake said:
My copy of FFXIII just arrived! And my sister won't let me play it until she gets home at 9 PM. what the fuck

JSnake
I am sixteen, homeschooled, live with my parents, and have no financial obligations to speak of.

Edit: Blast you Google. Blast you!

TheFreshPrince

Is it possible for attacks to miss?

I don't know if it's just the animations not matching, but there are times when my character goes to attack at the same time the enemy is attacking...therefore not making contact with the target.

With all the stuff going on I can't tell if these attacks still do damage....any help??

JSnake

Google said:
JSnake
(Today, 01:12 PM)

You could change all of those to something else and it wouldn't help the current situation!

i am whipped :(

Xpliskin

Bought this for 360 today.
Played the first 2 chapters.

I usually never have to force myself to stop playing a videogame but this game is very addictive.

Dunno what reviewers smoke but this game feels and plays like a solid FF game.
Complete with awkward dialogue/cutscenes.

Deserves a 9/10.

Oli

JSnake said:
You could change all of those to something else and it wouldn't help the current situation!

i am whipped :(

Why didn't you buy your own copy if she's like that?

Zoe

Scythesurge said:
I remember reading an earlier post today saying that the battle ranking effects the chance of getting item drops from enemies. Another person I know that has played the game says that it has no effect on that. What is the truth behind this?

There are regular drops, rare drops, and "you suck" drops. Your chances of receiving them are based on your rank.

Rpgmonkey

Not here yet. :/

jonnybryce said:
There really needed to be a change to make JRPGs survive in today's market. Lost Odyssey would have been great a few years ago but was so. damn. boring. I'm glad that the "visit towns, random battle, get lost in a dungeon, grind grind grind" has been replaced by updated, modern, fun alternatives.

Nah, Lost Odyssey would've been a really boring game a few years ago too.

Durante said:
It is more linear than FF12 obviously, but you're exaggerating. You've likely been to each of these areas.
You keep posting this as if it's an example of something proving your point... hint: it's not. Yes, I've been there. And there are no branching paths, alternate routes or ways to go other than FORWARD (yes, the path zig zags - please don't get caught up on a semantic word difference again). If one second path off-shoots to grab a treasure is fine enough for you: cool. But it's completely erroneous to continue to claim that this game isn't incredible linear. You are always going where the game tells you to go. And that's fine - it helps produce a cohesive and coherent narrative; but let's stop pretending like the level design isn't a complete antithesis to FF12. Footnote: The idea that in one level (as mentioned previously), they literally put LIGHTS ON THE PATH for you to follow is downright offensive.
I agree with Jeremy Parish - giving you the minimap is bad in a way hence why I turned it right off!

i like that all characters get the same crystallpoints after a fight so that when your group is splitted all are at the same "level"

K' Dash

Scythesurge said:

moar stars = better drops

TheFreshPrince said:

I don't know if it's just the animations not matching, but there are times when my character goes to attack at the same time the enemy is attacking...therefore not making contact with the target.

With all the stuff going on I can't tell if these attacks still do damage....any help??

Yes, sometimes due to positioning and fast moving enemy first attack will not get through.

maniac-kun said:
i like that all characters get the same crystallpoints after a fight so that when your group is splitted all are at the same "level"

Saves grinding to evenly level all of your party members too - which is something I hate.

Durante

DevelopmentArrested said:
You keep posting this as if it's an example of something proving your point... hint: it's not. Yes, I've been there. And there are no branching paths, alternate routes or ways to go other than FORWARD (yes, the path zig zags - please don't get caught up on a semantic word difference again).
I'm sorry, that is just wrong. If you never went (quite significantly) BACKWARD and activated new passages you missed quite a few treasure spheres.
For example, after you activate the "power plant" or whatever it is you can go back to the previous area and activate an elevator and deploy a few stairs

K' Dash

TheFreshPrince said:

Yes, some enemies can and will evade your attacks.

Empty

Hit chapter 3 and i think this is where the game actually starts. The battle system is really fucking amazing, i'm loving mixing up the paradigms, comboing moves, toying with timing, and the pace of combat is just wonderful. Now please make your characters stop talking and let me keep fighting monsters, because this is good stuff.

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
If you like hunts, yes. Duckroll and I (the two most important people on earth) each spent more than 20 hrs in that chapter.

Yes, I adore hunts. It was my favorite part of FFXII. I usually love monster arenas of any sort in JRPGs, where you're tasked with dispatching optional, tough (and often visually-dazzling) creatures.

Castor Krieg said:
Pulse is gigantic. It's easily as big as all the chapters before.

Great to hear. I just hope it doesn't end up feeling like it came too late.

Lyonaz

Scythesurge said:

Your rating influence your after battle rewards. The Datalog explains this.

Davedough

JSnake said:
I did that too. But she hits. And it hurts. i am such a wimpy wimp ;_;

I would start off with Commando/Healer on her, then when she breaks, switch to all out Ravager/Ravager. That should take her down no problem.

Moussi said:
just picked this baby up. it hurt because i wanted to get it for 360 because i play everything on there. But i'm not paying for an inferior version when I have the console that can play the better one. It's too bad. At least my PS3 gets turned on since demon souls.
Thanks. I'm still wrestling with this one. It's an eternal struggle for the ages. I think I'd have an easier time naming my first born.

But I have been leaning towards PS3 for the same exact reasons as you. I'm sure that's the right way to go in this situation.

Zoator

Some impressions after 4 hours:

The game started a little slow in terms of gameplay, forcing you to fight a few too many all-but-automatic battles with no real incentive (Crystarium not introduced yet), but once Paradigms and Crystarium make their way in at around the 3 hour mark, you can see the combat improve dramatically.

Fortunately, the slow start to the battle system was mitigated by the excellent story, characters, and world thus far. All of the characters are prominent, and I like every one of them. The voice acting is spot on for the most part, and the script has also been sharp. I found the game to be very self-aware of any cheesy/cliche moments, making the world and characters feel more connected and real. One thing to note is that the datalog entries are not optional if you want to fully experience the game's story. I have read all of the entries thus far as they have appeared, and they really do add a lot to the development of the game's world.

To me, the game feels decidedly like FFX so far, with respect to the linear progression and style of storytelling. This is very welcome for me, since FFX was one of my favorite games in the series. However, I can understand how it may be off-putting to some who disliked FFX's style -- especially with most of the extras now stripped away in favor of a more streamlined experience. Regardless, I for one couldn't be happier, as this is every bit the game I have been waiting for since FFX in 2001.

Davedough said:
I would start off with Commando/Healer on her, then when she breaks, switch to all out Ravager/Ravager. That should take her down no problem.

:lol :lol

See this is why i play JRPGs behind closed doors and certainly NEVER discuss them publicly.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, if you don't read the Datalog, you wouldn't know that Hope(spoilers for Chapter1/2)
BURNS WITH AN INTERNAL RAGE AGAINST SNOW!
You'd think he was just nervous or something.

Ikkarus

I just got back from the HMV FFXIII launch event.

Lets just say it was rather dull. :(
There were quite a few people cosplaying but the whole show I feel was not organised well.
Yoshinori Kitase and Isamu Kamikokuryo turned up late as well! :lol

They only allowed one item to be signed by both of them (I brought loads of things as well) so I decided on the limited edition guide.

The queue for the signing was insane and HMV had to turn literally hundreds away as they didn't have time for them.

I managed to take some pictures but I'll post them in the morning. Too tired from all the walking around and standing for hours!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tamanon said:
Yeah, if you don't read the Datalog, you wouldn't know that Hope(spoilers for Chapter1/2)
BURNS WITH AN INTERNAL RAGE AGAINST SNOW!
You'd think he was just nervous or something.

You wouldn't? Did you miss the entire intro of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom