• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

Kandinsky

Well dont get me wrong, it is alot more solo friendly, you actually can solo np, i just want to try battle regime and kill harder stuff, maybe i should try a melee class:lol

MCX

Banned
Jinko said:
So like FF11 ? :(
Oh man, I thought that Square had addressed this issue and made the game more solo friendly a la WoW. If it's going to be party-heavy and a LFP timesink like XI then count me out. Square, when will you listen to your fanbase?..

pix

Umm there isn't really a huge time sink anymore for LFG in FFXI because of Level Sync. And FUCK WoW's solo leveling up in solitude. Its horrible, people don't know how to play their classes when they get to 80. It does the exact opposite of building a good server community. Its the reason why I don't touch WoW.

Some of the best people I've met in game are from EXP parties, and some of the best times are in EXP parties within the Linkshell.

Jinko

pix said:
Umm there isn't really a huge time sink anymore for LFG in FFXI because of Level Sync. And FUCK WoW's solo leveling up in solitude. Its horrible, people don't know how to play their classes when they get to 80. It does the exact opposite of building a good server community. Its the reason why I don't touch WoW.

Some of the best people I've met in game are from EXP parties, and some of the best times are in EXP parties within the Linkshell.

The time sink is still there, level sync or not.

I agree with the WoW situation, but I don't see that as a problem, most people learn how to play with others fast or you get kicked from a group.

Those that can't obviously aren't very good players, and you get those in FF11 aswell.

Jellyfish Video

Kyolux

Hopefully there will be enough of an incentive for people to get in party over soloing when they can put the time in it.

I can understand the usefulness of being able to solo if you're only on for 60-90 minutes, but if you're on more than that? You more than likely should be in a position to group up.

If Level sync didn't fix all the problems, it did fix a lot of them. As a blm it allowed me to party with melees again. Something I hadn't done in a long time outside of endgame stuff. I also hope they don't make leveling as fast in XIV as it is currently in XI. MMM and SMN burns, and I'm sure there's other stuff now, but these let you level way too fast. MMM had me doing 2-3 levels every hour in the 30s-40s and about 1.5 in the 50s. Anyway, that's off-topic.

I think they should do something like in WoW where you have rested exp except in a way that makes leveling really effective solo, like party equivalent, but after a while you get to a point where you lose the boost or something and then grouping becomes the way to go until you get "rested" again. I think that would be a fair compromise, or is it not? I mean, that's assuming the versatility makes it that no specific jobs are preferred over another to an extent where you get to a point where some jobs are just unwanted.

notworksafe

Looks like there's an Alpha test tomorrow!

Square Enix would like to express its gratitude to all testers who volunteered to take part in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test.

The dates and times of the sixth test will be as follows. (All times are PDT: GMT -7:00.)

Sixth Alpha Test Schedule

Dates and Times:
Tuesday, May 11, 2010 – 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Tuesday, May 11, 2010 – 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Tuesday, May 11, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

*1 Only users with Japan-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*2 Only users with Europe-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*3 Only users with North America-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.

Jinko

Ok something kind of interesting is:-

* The first feedback submission period will begin with the launch of the first Alpha Test and last until just before the launch of the second Alpha Test.

* The second feedback submission period will begin with the launch of the second alpha test and continue until just before the launch of the third alpha test.

* The third feedback submission period will begin with the launch of the third alpha test and continue until just before the launch of the fourth alpha test.

* The fourth feedback submission period will begin with the launch of the fourth alpha test and continue until just before the launch of the fifth alpha test.

* The fifth feedback submission period will begin with the launch of the fifth alpha test and continue until just before the launch of the sixth alpha test.

* The sixth feedback submission period will begin with the launch of the sixth alpha test and continue until just before the launch of the next test.

Notice the last one doesn't say Seventh :O, maybe we are moving into Beta 1

notworksafe

Jinko said:
Ok something kind of interesting is:-

Notice the last one doesn't say Seventh :O, maybe we are moving into Beta 1
Well, there's a second Alpha phase too. It's basically the same as Alpha 1 but on multiple servers.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
More info.

As of May 11, 2010, we have confirmed the following issues. Please note that the issues listed here do not need to be reported via the Bug Report form.

[Confirmed Issues]
- When the Windows Security screen is shown by pressing Control-Alt-Delete, the following may occur:
Title Screen: The FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version may shut down.
Game Screen: The target cursor, log window, and other graphics may be displayed improperly.
* Please try to avoid using this command.

- During gameplay, the following may occur:
- Graphics may be displayed incorrectly.
- Error messages may appear.
* If you experience any such problems, please log out and then back in again.

- During gameplay, characters may become unable to move in certain locations.
* If this happens to your character, please use Warp or Teleport to free yourself. If this still does not solve the issue, please log in again or create a new character.

- On the title screen, after choosing "Start Game," the graphics may be displayed incorrectly.
* If this occurs, please exit the program and load the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version once again.

- On the character selection screen, after pressing "Login with Selected Character," "Delete Character," "Select Entered Name," or "Confirm Created Character," an error message saying "The lobby server connection has encountered an error" may be displayed.
* If this occurs, please exit the program and load the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version once again.

- If you enter active mode immediately after entering a new area, you may become unable to return to normal mode or use certain commands such as logging out.
* If this occurs, log out in any way possible and then log back in. If logging out is not possible, force the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client to quit and then log in again.

- Control over the mouse and keyboard may be lost when returning to the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version window after changing windows with Alt-Tab.
* Please avoid changing windows this way.
* If this occurs, force the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client to quit and then log in again.

- Occasionally the screen may go back to the beginning of a given event and then end with an error message.
* Once you have logged back in, you should be able to attempt the event once again.

- If the map is open when a given event begins, control over the main menu, action menu, and other areas will be lost after the event.

- On NVIDIA(R) SLI(TM) and built-in dual GPU graphics cards from NVIDIA, the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version may not run correctly.
* This issue may be avoided by turning off SLI functionality. If the game still does not work even after turning off SLI functionality, we suggest adjusting your PC's hardware.

[Corrected Issues]

--- 04/12/2010 ---

- Occasionally Error 40000 was displayed under certain settings, causing the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client to quit.

- Previously, the combination of Windows Vista(R) and NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) series graphics cards could occasionally cause graphics errors that would prevent game progression during the beginning cut scene.

- During installation of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version, the following errors would sometimes occur and prevent correct installation:
Error 20526, Error 20614, Error 20613, Error 19903, Error -3

- Configuration settings would not be saved if double-byte characters were used in the Windows user name.

- Upon completing a levequest, there were instances when a levequest target would attack before it disappeared, causing the Alpha Version client to quit.

--- 04/28/2010 ---

- There was an error where the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version would close during any event and progress would then be impossible after logging back in.

- The server would crash when certain spells were used to attack a large number of enemies at once.

--- 05/05/2010 ---

- There was an error that caused the game to stop and only show a black screen with "Now Loading" displayed.

[Other]

--- 04/12/2010 ---

- We have implemented countermeasures to resolve the server load balancing and connection issues that occurred during the first alpha test.

--- 04/20/2010 ---

- We have implemented countermeasures to resolve character data corruption that can occur in certain situations. Characters with corrupted data are being deleted, so if this occurs, please create a new character.

--- 04/28/2010 ---

- We have implemented countermeasures to help improve the time it takes to do an area change or to log in when there is a significant load on the server.

- We have implemented countermeasures to prevent NPCs and PCs from disappearing when there is a significant load on the server.

- We have updated the login process so that characters with data corrupted due to server issues will not be able to log in, but will instead view an "errCode 3054" error during login attempts. If you receive this error, please try to log in again. If you are still unable to log in after trying multiple times and the "errCode 3054" error is continuously displayed, we ask that you please delete your character and create a new one.

- We have further stabilized the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client.

--- 05/05/2010 ---

- We have implemented countermeasures to help prevent area changes from taking too long during times of heavy server load.

- We have taken steps to prevent certain conditions that could cause the servers to crash.

- We have further stabilized the server processes.

--- 05/11/2010 ---

- We have implemented countermeasures to help ease server load caused by battle.

- We have taken steps to prevent certain conditions that could cause the servers to crash.

Jinko

notworksafe said:
Well, there's a second Alpha phase too. It's basically the same as Alpha 1 but on multiple servers.

Yup I'm not worried about progress more like an invite :p

And hopefully they'll add some new features in the next test, maybe.

I think they said previously that there will be no noticeable game changes until Beta 2.

P.S I forgot to mention last week on 2ch they mentioned the 6th of June for the Beta date, duno if its true or just speculation.

Kandinsky

Awesome so far :D

Also Pai Pai's thong..
b4epmd.jpg

Chris R

pix said:

It is a huge time sink though, because you can't realistically do anything if you have say half an hour to play. In WoW (while leveling) you can log on, kill a few things, maybe do a quest or two, and then log back out. If you aren't going to play FFXI for 90 minuets plus, there is no reason to get on, even with the level sync feature, because it just takes far too long to get anything setup and going with random people or people who you do know.

All I know is that after I've been able to play the Beta, if I can't reasonable play the game level 1 to level X (whatever the max level is) solo, experiencing a decent portion of the content, grouping when needed, then I won't be buying the game. No reason SE shouldn't be able to make it possible to play solo while also making it possible to play grouped the entire time.

Kyolux

rhfb said:
It is a huge time sink though, because you can't realistically do anything if you have say half an hour to play. In WoW (while leveling) you can log on, kill a few things, maybe do a quest or two, and then log back out. If you aren't going to play FFXI for 90 minuets plus, there is no reason to get on, even with the level sync feature, because it just takes far too long to get anything setup and going with random people or people who you do know.

All I know is that after I've been able to play the Beta, if I can't reasonable play the game level 1 to level X (whatever the max level is) solo, experiencing a decent portion of the content, grouping when needed, then I won't be buying the game. No reason SE shouldn't be able to make it possible to play solo while also making it possible to play grouped the entire time.

MMM takes 30 minutes to clear and if you're doing it right it can net you about 10k exp. If that's not plenty enough...

Jinko

Kyolux said:
MMM takes 30 minutes to clear and if you're doing it right it can net you about 10k exp. If that's not plenty enough...

Yes but getting a party together prior to doing it can take just as long.

However you look at it, FF11 is still akward for people who only want to play for a couple of hours.

In most cases if you were to join an XP party for an hour and leave you would get comments for wasting peoples time etc.

Sixth Alpha Test Schedule

Dates and Times:
Thursday, May 13, 2010 – 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Thursday, May 13, 2010 – 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Thursday, May 13, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

*1 Only users with Japan-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*2 Only users with Europe-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*3 Only users with North America-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.

* Three test periods per day have been set in accordance with times of anticipated peak activity in each region.

Kyolux

Jinko said:
Yes but getting a party together prior to doing it can take just as long.

However you look at it, FF11 is still akward for people who only want to play for a couple of hours.

In most cases if you were to join an XP party for an hour and leave you would get comments for wasting peoples time etc.

I guess so. I never had this issue beyond the first one or two years though. I guess having tons of friends playing helps a lot. Rarely partied entirely with strangers only.

Noooo my thong D:

Last night was teh first night I actually got to play. Had a lot of fun!

Got to level 8 on Lancer and level 6 on Pugilist. Once I could use Chakra with my Lancer things went way smoother.

Kyolux

Pai Pai Master said:
Noooo my thong D:

Got to level 8 on Lancer and level 6 on Pugilist. Once I could use Chakra with my Lancer things went way smoother.

Now you're having me all excited for this. Was there a difference with Chakra when you used it as Lancer and Pugilist?

LaneDS

So after a few weeks with the (limited) alpha, what's the consensus on how the game feels compared to XI? Is it XI HD, or something more engaging as far as the combat goes? Obviously making that call based on the very early parts of the game is just conjecture, but I'm curious how people are enjoying it versus XI.

Kyolux said:
Now you're having me all excited for this. Was there a difference with Chakra when you used it as Lancer and Pugilist?

Not that I noticed...I can do more comparing on Thursday, since they've extended the 6th Test to tomorrow night.

It's hard to judge combat so far. While you can certainly get some playtime in with the alpha now thanks to all the fixed they've made, there's still a ton of combat lag and they realize it. In a congested area it takes about 5-6 seconds for your attack to even register.

Being rank 1 is boring as fuck cuz you've only got one action you can use. However, you get a new ability practically other level, so by the time the test was coming to a close last night I had about 6 or 7 different abilities to use in combat, which definitely made it more fun than XI.

I really like that you have all these abilities and their requirements all make them varied enough so that you can pick and choose when and why you'd want to use them. Some require only a couple hundred TP, others require 1000, some you can use whenever you want, others can only be used after certain things happen, such as dodging an attack. The cooldown on most of them is very short so you can mix and match your actions far more than just auto-attacking for a minute or two then using a JA or WS like in FFXI. I assume it's similar to combat in WoW (haven't played it in so long, since early beta) but I'm sure playing in a party with stuff like Battle Regimen will help it feel at least a little like FFXI. Once the combat lag is straightened out I expect it to be much more fast-paced and exciting than XI.

Kandinsky

Pai Pai Master said:
Noooo my thong D:

Damn son thats some nice progress.

Anyways some ss i took..
2h4yk2w.jpg

I looooove the look of my weapon, so awesome.
209jek8.jpg

This is from an insanced part of the main quest, you see the circled area in the map? you stay in that instance as long as you are in that circle...
212y2v6.jpg

And holy crap i was just checking my FFXIV folder and i have over 100gb worth videos i captured:lol

Teknoman

C'mon new phase invite! Also isnt that Aniero guy from Limit Break Radio?

EDIT: When playing as a Pugilist and attack, do you automatically punch twice? Or is it a punch/kick combo?

Kandinsky

Pai Pai Master said:
You guys want to party tonight?

the fuck you running your game on sac?
lol wut?

Man been awesome so far, combat is so much faster and awesome, HYPEx1000000000, srsly day and night for me lol

Just learned Bio and Dia and they stack, hell Poison+Dia+Bio its pretty deadly, ill get some vids. Good times :D

Edit: Owtf seems you dont get xp from killing with dots lmao

Yeah, seems to be an issue people are complaining about.

I was gonna say your screenshots look ridiculous compared to mine but realized that's a cutscene?

Be glad you're not around, I changed my body armor and now you can see my thong and bulge 24/7.

Eccocid

Hey hey is this gonna have POS PLAYONLINE to boot game? PLS PLS PLS i dont want that POS Playonline in my computer again. It used to take like 5 minutes to boot the game! :(

Eccocid said:
Hey hey is this gonna have POS PLAYONLINE to boot game? PLS PLS PLS i dont want that POS Playonline in my computer again. It used to take like 5 minutes to boot the game! :(

PlayOnline is not used for FFXIV.

Kandinsky

I only captured one this week, a mob dying from dots only.

Man i think i need to try a melee class, i struggle killing a Dodo on THM and apparently PaiPai already own them:lol

Top Bottom