• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

Teknoman said:
Different battle theme huh? Also I have no idea what happened with the Regimen :lol

EDIT: Oh nm, I saw the commands stacked up on screen. Gave constrict effect.

here's the detail from the guy who made the video:

@10 secs ARC enter BR mode
@15 secs ARC stacks Shot (note the BR countdown meter on top of the regular shot meter, and the Orange BR icon on top of the Dodo next to its name.)
@32 secs LNC stacks Skewer.
@35 watch the chat log. We both clicked "Begin Battle Regimen". My clicking triggers error message (The battle regimen could not be started) right after that is the "___ started a Battle Regimen"
@37 The attacks are triggered automatically.
@41 Skewer gives the effect of Regimen of Constraint. Dodo also seems to react to the BR differently.
@47 Under the ARC current target you can see the status effects, Slow icon which is normal from Skewer, and the BR icon, 'Constraint' I'm assuming.

The way you begin a battle regimen just looks awful and entirely unintuitive.

That was the last Alpha according to something on the site from a while back, wasn't it?

Kandinsky

So there i was, loving the game, lvling my THM to lvl14 and my CNJ to lvl4 after all these tests thats what i managed to do all this time, but then i tried PUG and omfg im pissed, learn to make mages classes SE, fuck this shit:lol

Edit: I mean after like 40 mins (maybe less) i was lvl7, no slowdown(lolmp), could take higher mobs then the ones i took when i was lvling thm and all this with lvl0 gear/weapon:lol , i guess it makes sense, but my god balance this shit SE!

Jinko

Yup I have decided not to go a mage class, got screwed over being a WHM in FF11 and not guna go down that path again.

notworksafe

Didn't see it posted, but here are seventh test times.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 – 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Thursday, May 20, 2010 – 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Thursday, May 20, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

*1 Only users with Japan-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*2 Only users with Europe-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*3 Only users with North America-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.

* Three test periods per day have been set in accordance with times of anticipated peak activity in each region.

Chris R

Doesn't really look that big to me. But then again I haven't played the game at all so the maps I've seen have just been images. The foggy area in the NE... that ingame or just a great first expansion area?

Nakazato

I just saw some new alpha to beta screens. all i can tell from the pic are the game looks a lot more vivid and the changed the lighting

also looks like there might be some texture changes.

Jinko

Here ya go.
12850596.jpg

Kyolux

Jinko said:
Here ya go.
[imgU]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6555/12850596.jpg[/img]

Awesome. Hype meter going up again. Hope the beta will be playable at E3. :lol

And sad to see that mages are on their way to get the short end of the stick again.

I guess I'll stick with Gladiator and pug/lancer or whatever would compliment it well.

Jinko

Kyolux said:
I guess I'll stick with Gladiator and pug/lancer or whatever would compliment it well.

Yup I will be going Gladiator or Archer myself, hopefully they fix the mages, supposedly there are rumour thats healing and support roles earn you no (or few) skill points, not sure how true this is.

Jinko said:
Yup I will be going Gladiator or Archer myself, hopefully they fix the mages, supposedly there are rumour thats healing and support roles earn you no (or few) skill points, not sure how true this is.

That's really unfortunate. As much as you can criticize XI for making support roles (BRD/RDM) too powerful, I at least appreciated how you felt useful when you played as one.

Also, damn you S-E newsletter for making me think I had received a beta invite!

DrDogg

I'm very displeased to hear about the support class issues.

I don't care as much if I can't solo, because I'd rather party anyway. But if I'm skilling up really slowly from casting spells (as opposed to using melee with my mage) then I'm going to be really upset.

They also need to make the support jobs just as powerful as they were in FFXI.

Jinko

You don't melee as a mage anyway, there is a ranged attack that uses no mp/tp that takes its place though.

Thing is though as a healer your not guna have time to do damage, so if it stays the same you will end up leveling slower than the rest of the party.

I can't imagine it being like this in the retail release.

Kandinsky

Pai Pai Master said:
It's only slow right now because killing an enemy with a DoT doesn't yield skill/experience points. This should be fixed soon.
Its not just that man, not at all. Just try to see your battle log(i know its hard lol) and see how much THM or CNJ skill points you get per kill with only using your 'attack' and compare it to your melee class of choice, its terrible. Also like i said before as a THM killing a Dodo at lvl14 was really hard consumed almost all my mp and i barely lived, as a lancer or pugilist i started killing them at lvl8 or something w'o any trouble but i guess that makes sense.

Or maybe im doing something wrong:lol

Edit: on the other hand it will be interesting to check tomorrow how good (bad) are the ws i learned as pug and lnc on thm, because now ill have some actual use for my tp (besides a shitty spell that gets resisted/miss 90% of the time).

Jinko

Some people are claiming that you don't get skill points for healing and support roles aswell, would be cool if you guys could test this, especially considering tonight is testing party play.

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
Its not just that man, not at all. Just try to see your battle log(i know its hard lol) and see how much THM or CNJ skill points you get per kill with only using your 'attack' and compare it to your melee class of choice, its terrible. Also like i said before as a THM killing a Dodo at lvl14 was really hard consumed almost all my mp and i barely lived, as a lancer or pugilist i started killing them at lvl8 or something w'o any trouble but i guess that makes sense.

Or maybe im doing something wrong:lol

Edit: on the other hand it will be interesting to check tomorrow how good (bad) are the ws i learned as pug and lnc on thm, because now ill have some actual use for my tp (besides a shitty spell that gets resisted/miss 90% of the time).

S-E needs to make debuffs as accurate as they are in offline FF titles. Also scan/libra spell please.

notworksafe

Test tonight, it seems.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 – 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Thursday, May 27, 2010 – 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Thursday, May 27, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

*1 Only users with Japan-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*2 Only users with Europe-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*3 Only users with North America-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.

This next test is the first beta test, right? We've moved on from alpha, correct?
If so, can't wait to see some screenies/videos of the improved graphics.

Vhalyar

Pinko Marx said:
This next test is the first beta test, right? We've moved on from alpha, correct?
If so, can't wait to see some screenies/videos of the improved graphics.

Where did you get that idea? This is still alpha 1. Which will be followed by alpha 2, and only then beta, which will finally feature new content.

Vhalyar said:
Where did you get that idea? This is still alpha 1. Which will be followed by alpha 2, and only then beta, which will finally feature new content.

I got my terminology messed up, but I could have sworn I read that the first testing phase was over and we'd be moving into the next one.
Are these updated graphics I'm seeing going to be in Alpha 2 or Beta?

Top Bottom