• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

LaneDS

I didn't think they'd be linked to physical level, but since I only used lancer I figured listing both would give some indication of how far along the character was. No big deal though.

K.Sabot

I haven't played a second of FFXI in my life, yet I got in. My question, are the advertised specs recommended or required specs? At the moment, it feels like required as the game is unoptimized to all hell.

Kuraine

Neo Member
K.Sabot said:
I haven't played a second of FFXI in my life, yet I got in. My question, are the advertised specs recommended or required specs? At the moment, it feels like required as the game is unoptimized to all hell.

Likely required; as you mentioned, the game is not quite optimized yet.

And yeah, I'm one of the poor saps that reactivated their FFXI accounts for additional chances to be added only to not get in :lol Here's hoping for beta, I guess!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's it, I'm tired of this bullshit. I've done EVERYTHING in order to get a key but since Square sucks ass, I'm not getting shit.

I just want to try it out for a day or two, is anyone not playing willing to lend an account? I'll do anythingggg
is my desperation showing?

Kuraine

Neo Member
Yoshichan said:
That's it, I'm tired of this bullshit. I've done EVERYTHING in order to get a key but since Square sucks ass, I'm not getting shit.

I just want to try it out for a day or two, is anyone not playing willing to lend an account? I'll do anythingggg
is my desperation showing?

If you're just wanting to try it out for the sake of seeing what it's like, beta would probably be a better opportunity to do that. With the gameplay systems and graphics/performance not optimized, it wouldn't be a really good glimpse into how the final thing will be.

notworksafe

K.Sabot said:
Yeah they are pretty much required. The framerate really chugs if you're hardware isn't close to what they are asking right now. I'm hoping that changes as beta and launch come. I'd like to be able to play on my laptop.

Jinko

If anyone has a second account, I wouldn't mind borrowing it for a couple tests, just to check it out lol. :D

Kuraine said:
And yeah, I'm one of the poor saps that reactivated their FFXI accounts for additional chances to be added only to not get in :lol Here's hoping for beta, I guess!

LOL same here, wonder how much extra revenue they made just from that little stunt.

Arzehn

You guys might already know this but if you go to Documents>My Games>Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Version>ffxivgame.ini you can turn off the shadows by setting ShadowType=0, maybe the game will run better for you.

LowParry

Kuraine said:
If you're just wanting to try it out for the sake of seeing what it's like, beta would probably be a better opportunity to do that. With the gameplay systems and graphics/performance not optimized, it wouldn't be a really good glimpse into how the final thing will be.

This is true. I'm happy enough with just seeing video's in the mean time and reading impressions. I'd rather like to have access to the forums.

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:
Yeah they are pretty much required. The framerate really chugs if you're hardware isn't close to what they are asking right now. I'm hoping that changes as beta and launch come. I'd like to be able to play on my laptop.
Even if your hardware well exceeds the alpha requirements it chugs :lol , there will definitely be lower requirements at launch.

notworksafe

CcrooK said:
This is true. I'm happy enough with just seeing video's in the mean time and reading impressions. I'd rather like to have access to the forums.
Dear god. Those forums are the biggest SQE circlejerk I've ever seen.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Finally got access to the login and DLed client but fail every update. Get this error

11000 Version update failed.
3:10249,19900,-2147220622

anyone encounter something like this?

LowParry

notworksafe said:
Dear god. Those forums are the biggest SQE circlejerk I've ever seen.

Eh, I don't care much about that section. Just the technical forums to read up on improvements or current issues going on.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Shouldn't there be a test today? I can't find anything on the site.

Also, is there a way to download the client updates with utorrent? If so, how? I already found the torrent file but I don't know the paths I should download to. Right now, the official patcher is killing my interwebs with non-limited upload :(

EDIT: Oh cool, runtime error.

Mojojo

Corran Horn said:
Finally got access to the login and DLed client but fail every update. Get this error

11000 Version update failed.
3:10249,19900,-2147220622

anyone encounter something like this?

I got this too... Then followed you advice of deleting the files in My documents , and it worked !... until halfway i got a runtime error :_(.
Can't spend all day trying to install this crap , hope i'll have more luck tonight :(

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Mojojo said:
I got this too... Then followed you advice of deleting the files in My documents , and it worked !... until halfway i got a runtime error :_(.
Can't spend all day trying to install this crap , hope i'll have more luck tonight :(

I had this error too, and noticed that you can resume the download without deleting the files by moving them out of the "My Games" folder in My Documents, running the updater, quitting after version check (when it starts to download from scratch) and putting the files back into the folder.

EDIT:

Next test window announced:

Tenth Alpha Test Schedule

Dates and Times:
Europe: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. GMT
NA: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. PST

Europe:Thursday, June 10, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. GMT
NA: Friday, June 11, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. PST

Europe: Saturday, June 12, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. GMT
NA: Sunday, June 13, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. PST

Cowie

People from this wave of invites can log in? Did they give different dates? Mine says I'll be able to log in on Wednesday, and true to form, I can't log in.

edit: where is this from?

Dates and Times:
Europe: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. GMT
NA: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. PST

Europe:Thursday, June 10, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. GMT
NA: Friday, June 11, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. PST

Europe: Saturday, June 12, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. GMT
NA: Sunday, June 13, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. PST

The email I got says

The dates and times of the tenth test will be as follows. (All times are PDT: GMT -7:00.)

Dates and Times:
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

So isn't Europe's on Monday and NA's on tuesday? Did I calculate that wrong?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Cowie said:
People from this wave of invites can log in? Did they give different dates? Mine says I'll be able to log in on Wednesday, and true to form, I can't log in.

edit: where is this from?

The email I got says

That's odd, my email had those dates and times were in GMT so I changed the NA to PST (i think?)

Cowie

Osaka said:
That's odd, my email had those dates and times were in GMT so I changed the NA to PST (i think?)

Huh.. That's weird, then. I guess go by yours if you're EU, since it doesn't really matter if I know the proper login times for a zone i'm not in.

To verify i'm not botching this horribly: According to my email, EU users can log in in about 16 hours and 14 minutes from this post's original time.

I hate torrent based updaters. Why the hell should I be uploading? I'd understand this for a free MMO but your getting my monthly fees for a reason.

And the worst is that on ADSL maxing up my upload speed means I'll be getting 20% of my download speed...

No45

I got:

Dates and Times:
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. *1
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *2
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. *3

Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. *1
Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *2
Friday, June 11, 2010 - 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. *3

Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. *1
Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *2
Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. *3

*1 Only users with Japan-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*2 Only users with Europe-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*3 Only users with North America-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.

So for me (UK), I guess that's Tue/Thu/Sat between 19:00 and 23:00. Which suits me just fine. :)

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Cowie said:
Huh.. That's weird, then. I guess go by yours if you're EU, since it doesn't really matter if I know the proper login times for a zone i'm not in.

To verify i'm not botching this horribly: According to my email, EU users can log in in about 16 hours and 14 minutes from this post's original time.

EU users can log in at 6 pm tomorrow, GMT.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Mojojo said:
Runtime errors seem common :/

at least it picks up from where you ended

LaneDS

Metalmurphy said:
I hate torrent based updaters. Why the hell should I be uploading? I'd understand this for a free MMO but your getting my monthly fees for a reason.

And the worst is that on ADSL maxing up my upload speed means I'll be getting 20% of my download speed...

If they continue to do that for retail (which honestly has a good chance of happening, seeing as how they're using it now), then I agree with you. For the alpha and beta tests I think it's more than reasonable to expect certain things of their testers, like some upload bandwidth.

LaneDS said:
If they continue to do that for retail (which honestly has a good chance of happening, seeing as how they're using it now), then I agree with you. For the alpha and beta tests I think it's more than reasonable to expect certain things of their testers, like some upload bandwidth.

Yeah, obviously my complain would be invalid if this was just for the beta. But I seriously doubt that's the case considering how it's built in to the client.

Cowie

Not that I'm a fan of bittorrent style patch distribution either (I hated it back when WoW implemented it too), but if you've ever had to try to patch FFXI (especially on patch day), this is definitely better. Not that it's what I want, but.. honestly, with SE you come to expect 'better than it was' rather than an ideal solution. And even getting that is a goddamn present.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Metalmurphy said:
Yeah, obviously my complain would be invalid if this was just for the beta. But I seriously doubt that's the case considering how it's built in to the client.

Obviously for launch they should have some decent servers initially seeding the file and keeping a good download speed for everyone, but torrent-based updaters lessen the load on those servers, thus making more people able to get the patches because the servers aren't crashing from high traffic.

I certainly prefer this to the POL updater for FFXI with shitty servers hidden somewhere in a damp cave in rural Japan.

notworksafe

I like the torrent style distribution more then direct downloads. I get better speeds from the WoW and FFXIV updaters then I did from the old FFXI downloads by a pretty huge margin.

Chris R

notworksafe said:
I like the torrent style distribution more then direct downloads. I get better speeds from the WoW and FFXIV updaters then I did from the old FFXI downloads by a pretty huge margin.
Torrents should be the method of distribution for everything MMO related from now on out IMO. Sorry if your Country/ISP is so backwards as to block torrents. They are just so much faster/local after the initial seed time (which with enough basic seeding provided by the company shouldn't take long).

LaneDS

For the folks that have metered download and upload bandwidth limits, then secondary options should be available for paying customers. Even if it was like, $1 more a month or something, the option should be there.

On a personal level, it doesn't affect me, no limits here... but I can see why people would be upset.

Jinko

I prefer the torrent style patcher aswell, its much better than what they had in place for FF11 and almost ever MMO these days uses it.

Lets not forget with the final release we won't be downloading 8-10 gbs in a go either and the patches will probably be fairly small.

FWIW the client is very tempremental, although works fine once it has been installed and updated, you just have to keep checking on it and restarting it, thankfully unlike the FF11 patcher it actually picks up from where it left off.

Teknoman

I like how the basic idea behind the combat is normal FF style meets MMO. Never liked the idea of auto-attacking in any game.

Londa

Banned
Is this a warning that my computer wont be able to handle the alpha version?
The music doesn't play while the files are installed on my computer.. It was playing while it was checking files but as soon as it started to install the music stopped and has not started up again..

Should I be worried?

LaneDS

Londa said:
The music doesn't play while the files are installed on my computer.. It was playing while it was checking files but as soon as it started to install the music stopped and has not started up again..

Should I be worried?

That is probably not cause for concern, no. What are the specs of your machine?

notworksafe

Londa said:

Should I be worried?
Don't worry. The music never plays on my computer, but the beta runs just fine. I figured it was because I was running Windows in Boot Camp.

Londa

Banned
LaneDS said:
That is probably not cause for concern, no. What are the specs of your machine?

HP dv6 Notebook PC

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with 1024 MB dedicated

windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core Duo 2.13 GHz

4.00 GB Ram

BTW whoever said the music on the start up screen was nice is so right. I love this version of the song!

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Cant wait for tonight, to get my first look at the game :lol

I probably have my hopes up too high but it's FFXIV!

Londa

Banned
I most likey will be naming my character "(name was here)" If you see me out there give me a /tell :D!

edit: ok ok I wont use this name. It's prolly best to have a fantasy type name anyways.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Not sure if it's a good idea to post character names here considering the type of talk that goes on :lol

LaneDS

Yeah, definitely don't share character names. And I think your specs will run the game fine ultimately. Alpha will be stuttery at times but I think that likely happens to everyone somewhat in it's current state.

Mojojo

Any euro player can log in yet? test window should have started, but I get "the lobby server connection has encountered an error. ERROR Code 0, status 0, TimeOUT"

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Mojojo said:
Any euro player can log in yet? test window should have started, but I get "the lobby server connection has encountered an error. ERROR Code 0, status 0, TimeOUT"

Test starts in 40 minutes, doesn't it?

notworksafe

Londa said:
oh, I would be reported to SE? lol
Normally I'd say it wouldn't matter, but if you plan on breaking NDA by posting impressions, pictures, or video I wouldn't put your name out there.

Top Bottom