• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

notworksafe

A bit of a dumb video, but the game itself is looking much better. If the character creation has changed that much, I'm hoping other things have as well. Here's hoping that Alpha 2 is short!

notworksafe said:
It's quite different from WoW and Aion, I think. It's pretty unresponsive in general, and it controls better with a keyboard or controller then a mouse. Seems rather odd when the alpha is PC only. Also, why must I right-click to move the camera? Why are there no inverse controls? It's just really clunky and makes little sense for a PC game.

Anyone who tried to play FFXI with a mouse is/was a moron. But admittedly, the developers' half assed attempt at giving the game mouse controls was equally moronic.

I think it's pretty stupid and unfair how most PC gamers have this attitude that "if it doesn't use wasd+mouse then it's not up to current standards." Since when does a standard mean all games should control the same?

The reason "FFXI fans like the camera" is because they had the whole ounce of patience it took to (OMFG) get used to a new control scheme that was very much suited to the game. With your middle three fingers on the numpad, thumb going between 0 and arrowkeys, little finger on enter, and the left hand free/resting on macro keys, you can control everything in the game easily with simple finger movements. It's a heck of a lot more elegant than being hunched over a keyboard and mouse and swinging your forearm around just to move the camera.

All that said, I hope they implement a decent wasd+mouse control scheme, so my impatient whiny gamer friends will be able to play the game without having an aneurysm.

EDIT: Yeah, I realize that came off as way condescending and retarded. Sorry. :lol

Londa

Banned
Wow so many more choices in the beta version. I wish they didn't choose such a retarded way to show it off. Was so distracting at the end.

Jinko

Deffinately more stream lined and easy to use than the alpha character customisation.

I think it's pretty stupid and unfair how most PC gamers have this attitude that "if it doesn't use wasd+mouse then it's not up to current standards." Since when does a standard mean all games should control the same?

The reason for a standard is so that non FF11 players can pick up the game and have some prior experience with controls from other PC games they have played.

I dont' think its too much to ask, Tera is another MMO which is supposed to be played with a controller but they haven't ignored the mouse/keyboard controls, SE have very little experience with developing PC games so i can kind of understand why these things may be akward to them, but they still need to make the effort.

desa

I got accepted into alpha and I'm downloading the client but it's so slow. I'm uploading damn near 1MB but I'm not really downloading anything for the past hour. What exactly am I uploading at 8 percent? I have my ports fowarded but it's still molasses.

Jinko

desa said:
I got accepted into alpha and I'm downloading the client but it's so slow. I'm uploading damn near 1MB but I'm not really downloading anything for the past hour. What exactly am I uploading at 8 percent? I have my ports fowarded but it's still molasses.

Try restarting the client, I had completely different download speeds on several occasions when i restarted the software.

I installed the client on my laptop and I'm getting this error

""ffxivboot.exe has encountered a problem""
AppName: ffxivboot.exe AppVer: 0.9.0.0 ModName: ffxivboot.exe
ModVer: 0.9.0.0 Offset: 0002eb85

Any idea how to fix this? Can't be home for this session and really didn't wanna miss it.

Jinko

The Client installer I uploaded was released at the start of the Alpha, there may be a more stable version now, as I said before though the one I uploaded is very tempremental.

Jinko said:
The Client installer I uploaded was released at the start of the Alpha, there may be a more stable version now, as I said before though the one I uploaded is very tempremental.

Well I actually downloaded mine from the dev website. But if they are different I might as well try yours.

Vlodril

Hm i had sound fine in the intro screen when the servers when down. Now that they are up it cuts off and i dont get any sound at all. I read somewhere to update my directx so i am d/l it.

Really weird control system right now (for the first 10 minutes at least). Dont understand the necessity of an active/passive mode or why i need to confirm every spell (well when i manage to cast my first one because i logged off to see why i cant get any sound). Camera is wonky.

We ll see after i upgrade the drivers.

Oh and why on earth you cant change any of the graphic options. Not even to go full screen wth..

Neptune

I've been looking into buying a new computer for a while now, and the Beta test invitation has inspired me to try to make a decision soon. I'll probably consider a desktop solution later on, but a laptop suits my needs best for now. I've come across the HP Envy 17 - apparently it's configurable in the US, but the version that Norway is getting will have these specs:

Intel Core i7 720QM, 1.6 GHz
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850, 1 GB GDDR5

I know the Alpha version isn't optimised yet, but for those with some further insight and experience, how do you think it will cope with Final Fantasy XIV? I don't need it to run in 1920 x 1080 on high settings, but I'm hoping for competent performance.

No45

Neptune said:
I've been looking into buying a new computer for a while now, and the Beta test invitation has inspired me to try to make a decision soon. I'll probably consider a desktop solution later on, but a laptop suits my needs best for now. I've come across the HP Envy 17 - apparently it's configurable in the US, but the version that Norway is getting will have these specs:

Intel Core i7 720QM, 1.6 GHz
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850, 1 GB GDDR5

I know the Alpha version isn't optimised yet, but for those with some further insight and experience, how do you think it will cope with Final Fantasy XIV? I don't need it to run in 1920 x 1080 on high settings, but I'm hoping for competent performance.
I hope so, because I'll be running it on worse specs than that and if I can't get decent performance at 1680*1050 then I'll be opting out.

Played a little tonight. I'm clearly spoiled by WoW but the game tells you NOTHING as far as I can see or where you need to go or who you need to speak to - not a complaint as such, just a bit jarring when I'm used to having my hand held.

Finally, don't alt tab out of the client, seems it will soft hang (You can see/hear stuff going on but can't do anything).

Does anyone have gamepad suggestions? I have a SIXAXIS sitting idle that I could use - it that W7 64-bit compatible?

Nakazato

No45 said:
I hope so, because I'll be running it on worse specs than that and if I can't get decent performance at 1680*1050 then I'll be opting out.

Played a little tonight. I'm clearly spoiled by WoW but the game tells you NOTHING as far as I can see or where you need to go or who you need to speak to - not a complaint as such, just a bit jarring when I'm used to having my hand held.

Finally, don't alt tab out of the client, seems it will soft hang (You can see/hear stuff going on but can't do anything).

Does anyone have gamepad suggestions? I have a SIXAXIS sitting idle that I could use - it that W7 64-bit compatible?
theres some drivers for w7 but i heard they are a pain in the ass to get working

Is it normal that I can't login to the dev site right now?

It's redirecting me to the main page saying

"The FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Site can only be accessed by those who have been granted Beta Test accounts.

Beta testers can log in from the link below using their Square Enix Account."

If you want to save money just get the w7 motioninjoy driver for sixaxis. It works fine, but can do some annoying things. I don't actually use it, but I know some people who have.

Kandinsky

HappyBivouac said:
If you want to save money just get the w7 motioninjoy driver for sixaxis. It works fine, but can do some annoying things. I don't actually use it, but I know some people who have.
This is what i use for XIV and i loooove it!

Arzehn

Metalmurphy said:
Is it normal that I can't login to the dev site right now?

It's redirecting me to the main page saying

"The FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Site can only be accessed by those who have been granted Beta Test accounts.

Beta testers can log in from the link below using their Square Enix Account."

If you recently got accepted into the alpha then you have to wait 1-2 days for the login to work.

desa

Jinko said:
Try restarting the client, I had completely different download speeds on several occasions when i restarted the software.

I did several times. It starts out with great speeds and then stops. So I just left it there and came back home from work 8 hours later and it's only at 20 percent completed. This sucks! :lol

daebo

Okay, so I'm not the only one... I feel kind of dumb logging in time after time. I'll never forget my password... that's for sure :p

Cowie

The tester's site described a neat little 'queue' feature they were implementing. Too bad I timeout instead of getting a place in the queue, if it even exists. >:|

..is it just me, or does the music get louder as you wait? Or is that an ambient sound effect from the character creation screen i've seen the background of a couple times?

..yeah it's ambient noise from the character creation select/creation screen. I created a char, and of course was unable to complete it, presumably losing my progress. blargh.

daebo

Corran Horn said:
I was able to log in...then my character got stuck/frozen and I couldnt use any menus or anything lol

happen to me too. i logged off and then back in and was able to move around.

and HOLY... the controls... are bad and I'm an experienced XI player too... wow... I had to plug in my 360 controller... it's not much better.

Londa

Banned
daebo said:
happen to me too. i logged off and then back in and was able to move around.

and HOLY... the controls... are bad and I'm an experienced XI player too... wow... I had to plug in my 360 controller... it's not much better.

Yeah I have to admit, the controls are different. The number pad is difficult to use so now I use the arrow keys and that sucks because laptop arrow keys are so small.

good news is I got the game to work better for me. I took down the shadows and changed some setting on my graphic card.

desa

Controls aren't that bad with a controller. It's a little off compared to FFXI but I'm getting used to them. I'm playing as a miner and it's not so fun :lol

Digging up worms and copper woot!

*throws rock at rat*
*dies*

No45

Corran Horn said:
I was able to log in...then my character got stuck/frozen and I couldnt use any menus or anything lol
Did you alt+tab out of the game window? This happened to me three times last night, I posted about it on the dev site and someone said it happens when you alt+tab out.

desa said:
I'm playing as a miner and it's not so fun :lol
I picked miner too. I've no idea if it's fun or not, I'm struggling to work out what to do. :p

Vlodril

Any ideas why the sound gets cut off when the square logo comes on? I tried updated directx but nothing helped. Posted on the beta forums as well but no reply so far.

Jinko

No45 said:
Did you alt+tab out of the game window? This happened to me three times last night, I posted about it on the dev site and someone said it happens when you alt+tab out.

This is fixed by going to task manager select applications and click on switch to I believe.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Jinko said:
This is fixed by going to task manager select applications and click on switch to I believe.

Or pressing alt twice with the ffxiv window open, I believe.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
No45 said:

I picked miner too. I've no idea if it's fun or not, I'm struggling to work out what to do. :p
I just clicked somewhere outside of window I think. Ended up exiting and restarting.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Corran Horn said:
I just clicked somewhere outside of window I think. Ended up exiting and restarting.

Read my previous post for how to act next time you need to change focus to another window. :)

Top Bottom