• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Normally I'd say it wouldn't matter, but if you plan on breaking NDA by posting impressions, pictures, or video I wouldn't put your name out there.

I don't plan to. I still haven't learned how to record video on a computer and I don't know how to take screenshot with my laptop (first time laptop owner) plus it being in windows 7 and not XP. (I never had vista). So I am not smart enough to share anyways lol.

But you guys are right. I'll just hope to run into people I know from 11 as more testers get put in :(. None of my friends that I kept in touch with got in.. so I'm braving it on my own..

Munba

Just logged in for 1 hour and also if it's still rather bugged, my first feeling about it is that (it's very different in seeing videos to actually play).. the ff11 atmosphere is definitely there. :0 A relief for me.

Londa

Banned
Munba said:
Just logged in for 1 hour and also if it's still rather bugged, my first feeling about it is that (it's very different in seeing videos to actually play).. the ff11 atmosphere is definitely there. :0 A relief for me.

Does it feel just like FF11? Or FF11 with improvements? Was it better than you expected from the videos you have seen?

Munba

Mmh i'm speaking about atmosphere and sensations only for now. The videos didn't transmit me those sensations for some reasons. Also when you actually move the chara, the movements are somewhat charming (lalafel in this first case).

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
..Can anyone tell me why the Marauder's Guild is telling me to fuck off, when I am a Marauder? :lol

Terproerg

ok so my email says the 9th, but there is no testing on the 9th. Does this mean im going to miss the 1st day of testing?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Terproerg said:
ok so my email says the 9th, but there is no testing on the 9th. Does this mean im going to miss the 1st day of testing?

No, it means you'll be able to log in to the beta site and download the client starting from June 9th, and getting ready for the next test.

No45

Terproerg said:
Yeah, pretty much. I downloaded the client from the link kindly posted in this thread in the hope I'd be able to get online tonight but nothing doing. Thursday it is then, at least it'll give me some time to read up on it through the dev site.

Wonder what time it'll open up. I start work at 07:00 tomorrow morning hopefully it'll let me in then.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
No45 said:
Yeah, pretty much. I downloaded the client from the link kindly posted in this thread in the hope I'd be able to get online tonight but nothing doing. Thursday it is then, at least it'll give me some time to read up on it through the dev site.

Wonder what time it'll open up. I start work at 07:00 tomorrow morning hopefully it'll let me in then.

It opened exactly at 6 PM GMT today (or whatever the time is at least on the beta forums), I could log in right on the mark. I'd assume it's the same for Thursday.

I still can't login to the devsite despite the email I got saying it should be enabled today.

I get a "You could not log in because the service account in question is not registered." msg. Anything I need to do?

notworksafe

They may just turn it on at some odd time. Everything SQE does for this seems to revolve around Japan time, so I'd wait until late tonight/early tomorrow before getting worried.

No45

Japan is ahead of the UK by 8 hours, so it's been the 9th in Japan for about 16 hours now. Still can't login to the dev site either, I wonder if they're doing it on PST? Which would be 20 minutes from now I think?

noisome07

Banned
No45 said:
Japan is ahead of the UK by 8 hours, so it's been the 9th in Japan for about 16 hours now. Still can't login to the dev site either, I wonder if they're doing it on PST? Which would be 20 minutes from now I think?

still don't work :(

ugh

No45

Same here. Just to confirm, is everyone getting this message:

You could not log in because the service account in question is not registered.
If you would like to log in to the service, please log in to the Square Enix Account Management System and register the service account.
Or something different?

noisome07

Banned
Same error. got the welcome to the alpha email over a week ago. Got another email saying I can play starting at 7am GMT

noisome07

Banned
No45 said:
7am GMT? The mail I had have 6-10pm GMT, so 7-11pm BST for the UK.

my bad, kinda tired. the times are:

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1 JP
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2 EU
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3 NA

No45

Ah OK, yours are different to mine anyway. I have:

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. *1 JP
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *2 EU
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. *3 NA

Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. *1 JP
Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *2 EU
Friday, June 11, 2010 - 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. *3 NA

Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. *1 JP
Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *2 EU
Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. *3 NA

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Those times arent "you can start playing"-times, those are the times when the servers are up. My email said

"* The official testers’ site will become available for login on Monday, June 7, 2010."

I woke up in the morning of June 7th (European morning) and could log in just fine.

No45

Yeah, mine says the 9th but I'm not able to login at the moment. Not a problem anyway I have the client fully updated so I should be good to go when the servers are up tomorrow evening. :)

Londa

Banned
I gave up on playing last night. It was so hard to move anywhere. All the graphics were displayed correctly and looked GREAT for a MMO. Its just that I couldn't navigate my character because the lag was just that bad even in instances! I wonder if its my internet connection or that my computer couldn't handle the game (but why would the graphics look good if that is the case?). The CS were ruined because it was so slow that all animations were choppy.

Anyone have any reasons as to why I am experiencing this? Think its my internet connection?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Londa said:
I gave up on playing last night. It was so hard to move anywhere. All the graphics were displayed correctly and looked GREAT for a MMO. Its just that I couldn't navigate my character because the lag was just that bad even in instances! I wonder if its my internet connection or that my computer couldn't handle the game (but why would the graphics look good if that is the case?). The CS were ruined because it was so slow that all animations were choppy.

I really didn't have trouble moving around etc even in cities, sure, my FPS was quite shitty often, but it was still manageable. Out of Limsa Lominsa, in the wilderness, the game worked really solid. No slowdowns and whatnot. My PC is AMD 64x2 1.8GHz, 3gb RAM and Radeon HD4850.

Then again, I play using a gamepad. Dunno how the keyboard controls are, but the mouse certainly shouldnt get slowed down like that cos of low FPS. I got used to the camera controls after a while, but I'd really want to get it inverted.

First impressions on the game itself: cutscenes and music are top-notch, combat is still a bit slow (getting changed so I won't comment on that more), graphics are VERY pretty, and lalafells are pretty cute! Really surprised how deep you can go with the char customization in terms of stats, too. Didn't really expect being able to determine each stat down to the last stat point.

notworksafe

Londa said:

Anyone have any reasons as to why I am experiencing this? Think its my internet connection?
Yeah that happens to me on my laptop as well, though not to that extent. It sounds like your computer just isn't able to handle the game. Since there's no way to change the graphics right now, you may just be out of luck. There is a way to remove character shadows that really helped me out a lot when playing on my laptop, though. Might give it a shot for the next test.

Anomarad said:
You guys might already know this but if you go to Documents>My Games>Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Version>ffxivgame.ini you can turn off the shadows by setting ShadowType=0, maybe the game will run better for you.

Jinko

Londa said:

Agree with the others, sounds like your PC isn't capable of rendering the frames fast enough.

I duno why SE asked for people's specs, it irrates me to know I and many others have PC's easily capable of running this and others who are getting in but can't play because their specs are too low.

You're probably out of luck until the beta (or when they add graphics customisation) either that or start saving for a new PC.

Cowie

Jinko said:
I duno why SE asked for people's specs, it irrates me to know I and many others have PC's easily capable of running this and others who are getting in but can't play because their specs are too low.

It's probably just all out of a hat random, but they could potentially be picking from a range of system specs to see just how low it'll run. If they think his system is where their minimum required specs are at, and it's running like shit.. that's something they'd probably want to know.

That said, I can't fault your irritation, either.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
Agree with the others, sounds like your PC isn't capable of rendering the frames fast enough.

You're probably out of luck until the beta (or when they add graphics customisation) either that or start saving for a new PC.

I thought that the fact that they had my PC specs would cancel me out of beta if my computer wasn't able to handle the game. Maybe part of the problem it was my connection because i was getting a lot of yellow while playing. But yeah, they could weed through the people who aren't capable of running the game at a playable speed.

I'm sure you will get in soon.

Londa

Banned
Cowie said:
It's probably just all out of a hat random, but they could potentially be picking from a range of system specs to see just how low it'll run. If they think his system is where their minimum required specs are at, and it's running like shit.. that's something they'd probably want to know.

That said, I can't fault your irritation, either.

yep most likey what they are doing though it sucks for me and ruined my dream. Well, atleast i didn't pay for this computer lol (it's not even half a year old).

I know you didn't know and I'm aware of the "there is not females on the internet" rule but I'm actually female and it is so weird when people say he when I'm really her.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Londa said:
yep most likey what they are doing though it sucks for me and ruined my dream. Well, atleast i didn't pay for this computer lol (it's not even half a year old).

I know you didn't know and I'm aware of the "there is not females on the internet" rule but I'm actually female and it is so weird when people say he when I'm really her.

"ruined my dream" seems a bit harsh :p

you'll prolly be able to play better once we can change video settings.

Teknoman

Londa said:

If its not that old, you probably just need to upgrade your video card.

gillty

Banned
Jinko said:

Specs are pretty irrelevant right now because even people with specs miles past what is required for the alpha can't run it smoothly, the specs for the alpha are pretty random and I'd say high.

Right now it looks like its a medium with no shadows, of course with optimization, graphical improvements, and settings to tweak this should all be fixed by release but right now it makes sense to collect data on systems both above and below requirements.

Cowie

Londa said:

Haha, sorry about that then, *her. But yeah, we're on a gaming forum (on the internet) so my beginning assumption was male, even with a (now that I look at it) fairly feminine username.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
DrDogg said:
Isn't it the same camera as FFXI? If so, I have no qualms with it.

Camera gets twitchy in small spaces or against a wall etc. It needs some polishing and inverting options and then it's fine.

Londa

Banned
Cowie said:
Haha, sorry about that then, *her. But yeah, we're on a gaming forum (on the internet) so my beginning assumption was male, even with a (now that I look at it) fairly feminine username.

It sounds female but it was believable for a guys name while playing Legend of Zelda. Londa instead of Link (at least in my mind when I was 12) lol.

But yeah its ok. I understand that (as lame as it maybe) most people assume a male is behind the computer on videogame forums.

Londa

Banned
rhfb said:
Well what exactly are the specs of your machine? Integrated GPU? Ram? ect

HP dv6 Notebook PC

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with 1024 MB dedicated

windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core Duo 2.13 GHz

4.00 GB Ram

notworksafe

Pai Pai Master said:
How were the cameras in all the other alpha tests you've played? :p
Come on, the camera is shit. Same as the awful XI one.

EDIT: Yes, I know XI fans like the camera. But people that play PC games in the year 2010 (or any MMO since FFXI) aren't as thrilled.

Chris R

Londa said:
HP dv6 Notebook PC

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with 1024 MB dedicated

windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core Duo 2.13 GHz

4.00 GB Ram
Hmmn, that isn't that old of a laptop. Have you tried updating your graphics card driver?

LaneDS

notworksafe said:

EDIT: Yes, I know XI fans like the camera. But people that play PC games in the year 2010 (or any MMO since FFXI) aren't as thrilled.

I literally got a bit sick the first time I played the alpha. I never get motion sickness from games (XI included) but something about how it is in the main city got me feeling queasy.

Teknoman

notworksafe said:

I dunno, Aion's camera seemed about the same, and WoW's camera didnt seem that different.

Whats so different/ bad about it? Or do you mean the camera controls in combat?

notworksafe

Teknoman said:
I dunno, Aion's camera seemed about the same, and WoW's camera didnt seem that different.

Whats so different/ bad about it? Or do you mean the camera controls in combat?
It's quite different from WoW and Aion, I think. It's pretty unresponsive in general, and it controls better with a keyboard or controller then a mouse. Seems rather odd when the alpha is PC only. Also, why must I right-click to move the camera? Why are there no inverse controls? It's just really clunky and makes little sense for a PC game.

Jesus, that's so much more intuitive than the fucking retarded alpha system. :lol

Character models look considerably better too. Hopefully this means Beta is ready soon.

Top Bottom