• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

Teknoman

2rz5l6q.png

About as big (maybe bigger) than a Tremor ram. Nice.

Marchiott

Anyone know if the servers are up now (for NA) or is there still 1 hour to go?
Damn daylight savings..

Getting this message:
13001 The lobby server connection has encountered an error.
Error Code: 1010
status 2

Edit: Starting at 9PM EST I assume

desa

Now that I'm familiar with how the game works, I'm really diggin it. The quest system is especially great. Its design is streamlined and players with limited playing time can get in and get out and accomplish a lot. The warps will cut down on a lot of unnecessary downtime. Can't wait to play some more.

Kuraine

Neo Member
So a friend of mine let me play on her comp/char tonight, and I got a chance to skill up Pugilist from 1 to 6 :D

I gotta say, despite the fact that the game was laggy as hell (low framerate, even outside of town, as well as shoddy latency) I can see how this is going to be fantastic once it's all polished up.

I'm super digging the lalafell pugilist animations :D It's so satisfying to rush in there and pummel things. And with getting Chakra so early on, it really helps with some of the harder mobs. I aaaalmost was able to take down a Dodo (high yellow con) solo at rank 6 Pugilist 9 Physical, but the damn thing put me to sleep and ran around back for a critical hit :lol

Can't wait for beta. Maybe I'll actually get in, and be able to play more~

desa

desa said:
Not anything new but here's some screenshots I ahem found

Screenshots Galore

Updated with more shots from yesterday's test.

The Guildleve system awesome. Servers are much more stable. I got to log at start and didn't disconnect once. It was still laggy at certain times, especially when accessing shops. Otherwise it was pretty swell.

Londa

Banned
I turned my graphics card down super low and the game runs almost smooth. If anyone is having problems playing, change your graphic card settings.

Londa

Banned
I'm thinking we will hear something about it on Monday. Since Tuesday seems to be the usual start for testing every week.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Teknoman said:
Could be beta since E3 starts Monday and they posted footage from it on their channel?

Well they HAVE opened more servers as well, dont you think they still have areas to look at in alpha before making the update to beta?

notworksafe

I think it's still a little early for Beta, but I hope I'm wrong from that video of it. It looks awesome.

New test dates are usually announced late Sunday/early Monday so they should be coming soon.

Cowie

Only got to play a few minutes on thursday, so last night was my first real experience with the game.

It's fun, but man is it ever FFXI-2. Same clunky menus, same painfully slow movement speed, roughly the same interface, same 'ugh, mouse support feels like an afterthought', same complete lack of indication as to what's going on.

Now, I loved FFXI, and I'd still play FFXIV even if it remains as 'samey' as it is -- But controls and interface that were a bit wonky even in 2002-2003 aren't going to win the hearts of many 2010-2011 gamers. As much as I'm thrilled that they didn't just jack wow's interface like seemingly everyone else did, they needed something better.

It was always my theory that FFXIV stood to benefit from Japan's staunch refusal to give a fuck about what western developers are doing(correctly or otherwise) and continue on their own merry way. Not becoming just a different flavor of wow is a good sign of that. But man, with that said, these guys could seriously stand to play a few more games with mouse support to get an idea of how it should actually work.

Also: God I hate stat points. Unless it'll be easy to redistribute them or have different stat point 'sets', it's going to make the game a lot less fun. Stat points defeat the effectiveness of a well-rounded character -- which is admittedly already pretty close to defeated. But still, in FFXI I can change jobs, change equipment, and be fairly effective. I have to pick my gear carefully, and some jobs will be tougher to fill than others based on my race, but it's possible. With irreversible stat points, you build to your class, and then that's it. Sure I can change jobs with my gear much more easily than I could in FFXI, but that is canceled out by the fact that I can only change between jobs that use the same set of stats. A well made tank will probably never also deal damage, or be an effective magic user. Or maybe the stats cap low, and you can be two of those things, but not three. The other scenario, where everything caps low and everyone can become a god, defeats the purpose of having stat deployment at all.

Jinko

^ I think mouse control will be in for beta, it would be unwise for them to ignore the amount of feeback they have had on that issue.

Cowie

Jinko said:
^ I think mouse control will be in for beta, it would be unwise for them to ignore the amount of feeback they have had on that issue.

God I hope so. I remember when I first got FFXI, and assumed that I really ought to be using a mouse to control it. The first few days were really rough until I realized you can give up and use only the keyboard. Things got better.

gillty

Banned
Cowie said:
God I hope so. I remember when I first got FFXI, and assumed that I really ought to be using a mouse to control it. The first few days were really rough until I realized you can give up and use only the keyboard. Things got better.
Lack of mouse controls will be the thing that pushes people away from the game that are genuinely interested that come from traditional western or korean mmos.

I think they would be fools if they ignored the mountain of feedback that they received on this early in the beta, of course they could choose to ignore everyone except the SE dickrider squad on the beta forums that think the addition of some type of traditional mouse control would ruin the game. :lol

Londa

Banned
I know I might seem backwards and lame for asking this...

Why are mouse controls so important? I played FFXI and I never had a problem with the controls being bad. That could be because it was my first MMO so I had to read the manual to see how to control the game.

I do agree that the controls for FFXIV are hard even without the lag. The controls seem to be different than FFXI because it was hard for me to get use to. If they didn't invert the arrow keys right out of the box and made the number pad the directional keys for moving instead of "wasd" I could catch onto the controls. Using wasd as the directional keys made it difficult for me to talk and run, which I did all the time in 11. Now I have to stop to do it. Also I hate how the chat window is done. You have to click the box or type /.

Its hard for me to want to use a mouse on a mmo. I can understand something like doom using mouse, but because I'm not aiming a gun, I'm just selecting attacks, that a keyboard with macro's would be faster and more efficient.

Please remember this is an opinion.

Cowie

Londa said:
I know I might seem backwards and lame for asking this...

Why are mouse controls so important? I played FFXI and I never had a problem with the controls being bad. That could be because it was my first MMO so I had to read the manual to see how to control the game.

I do agree that the controls for FFXIV are hard even without the lag. The controls seem to be different than FFXI because it was hard for me to get use to. If they didn't invert the arrow keys right out of the box and made the number pad the directional keys for moving instead of "wasd" I could catch onto the controls. Using wasd as the directional keys made it difficult for me to talk and run, which I did all the time in 11. Now I have to stop to do it. Also I hate how the chat window is done. You have to click the box or type /.

Its hard for me to want to use a mouse on a mmo. I can understand something like doom using mouse, but because I'm not aiming a gun, I'm just selecting attacks, that a keyboard with macro's would be faster and more efficient.

Please remember this is an opinion.

Well personally, I can deal. I played FFXI, I'll play FFXI 2.0 -- it's more about attracting new players who are used to using a mouse to do everything. I'm probably too old of a dog to be taught new tricks anyway. That said, at a bare minimum a decent use of mouse accuracy would be picking one mob out of a crowd to target. If the mouse wasn't sluggish and inaccurate, and the mobs had reasonable 'hitboxes' to click on, it'd be a much easier method than tabbing through multiple enemies, or walking up to the one you want (or slightly to the left of, as I found worked better) and hitting f8. Other than that, it'd just be nice to be able to use the mouse to navigate menus. It's not that you can't, but the mouse control is so awkward and the menus so not suited for it that it's honestly easier/faster just to use the keyboard.

desa

Cowie said:
It's still really fucking slow. Honestly feels the same. I didn't measure my MPH, but it still takes ages to get around.

The plentiful warps and teleports will take care of that. Navagating around town did get slow. Huge, multiple levels with too many twist and turns.

Cowie

desa said:
The plentiful warps and teleports will take care of that. Navagating around town did get slow. Huge, multiple levels with too many twist and turns.

Yeah, I'm really thankful for teleporting and warping. It feels a bit.. unnatural at first, but it's not entirely different from outpost warps, teleports, and homepoint warps in FFXI, just without all the bullshit you have to go through for each of those. I probably got twice as much done in the alpha period because of them.

Billen

Banned
Jinko said:

Sorry that I haven't read up on this but since I am at work I can only spend the time while my lab machines are resetting; how DO you control it? :d

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Cowie said:
I probably got twice as much done in the alpha period because of them.

Really? You got more stuff done because of instant travel that you were "supposed" to use anyway? :lol

14mzx29.jpg

Jinko

Londa said:

There is a standard in MMO's that use mice (just like FPS), so it's deffinately not hard to want mouse support in the game.

I think you are somewhat blinkered by playing FF11 as your first MMO, although It was my first MMO aswell (since then I have played ALOT of MMO's though), but I still prefer the control setup on WoW/Aion and countless others, because its more intuitive.

Although I haven't played the Alpha WASD and arrows sound better than numberpad and arrows to me, although I agree it will take sometime for ex-FF11 players to get used to that though.

Billen said:
Sorry that I haven't read up on this but since I am at work I can only spend the time while my lab machines are resetting; how DO you control it? :d

Keyboard only or controller and keyboard, you can move the mouse cursor around but its slow and worthless.

2San

So I just got the PC beta key. Can't even remember when I signed up, but you guys are saying we are in the Alpha?

Adamm

2San said:
So I just got the PC beta key. Can't even remember when I signed up, but you guys are saying we are in the Alpha?

Im not sure, i got my email today and it said beta at the top but upon reading the email it says second stage of the Alpha test + when i went to download it, it was the alpha one also.

Londa

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Wait, stop this fuckin' train.

Are you telling me I can't use the numpad for movement in this game? D:

nope, which was a complete shock because FFXI number pad was perfect. Much easier to navigate and type and target with. The number pad only moves the camera, plus zoom in and zoom out, and to open the menu.

I really hope they get that option in. Who would possibly want wasd+ arrowkeys? Ugh.

I guess I might end up playing with a controller, which I'm okay with.

LaneDS

They really just need to take some time to give control options to all parties. The folks that want to play it like every other PC game ever (WASD+mouse), XI numpad style, with a DS3... it shouldn't be that hard.

And a beta start date would be fantastic. Hoping E3 gives us some info on when that is happening.

Jinko

Didn't see this posted here, is taken from the upcoming E3 trailer.

c69.png

Looks like the beastmen are friendly in this picture, or they have captured a few Hyurs and an elf :lol

Who would possibly want wasd+ arrowkeys? Ugh.

I would rather WASD + arrows than what FF11 had, why would you want numberpad controls ?

WASD + mouse would be the best option tho.

See this could go on all day !

Jinko

The Gaming Vault received a message from the guys at Square Enix today regarding the release of a trailer for the newest installment in the Final Fantasy series.

“Heads up!

Square Enix are releasing a brand new 3 minute trailer for Final Fantasy XIV tomorrow at 10pm GMT!

We’ll be sending out details regarding where you can get your mitts on these during the day tomorrow.

Have a great day/evening depending on which part of the world you’re currently in!”

Just like Microsoft gave everybody in the audience a new Xbox 360 Slim, including our very own Alex Donaldson, it looks like Square Enix will be handing out trailers for Final Fantasy XIV. Not exactly sure yet what this means. Will the trailers be handed out in DVD format? USB stick? Flip book?

We’ll find out tomorrow morning! Be sure to stay tuned for the latest E3 updates. As soon as we get our hands on this trailer, you can bet the first thing we’re gonna do is show it off for you.

Possible alpha/beta disc ?

Top Bottom