• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

According to Sonomaa at BG

if you got a beta code before youll be able to get it upgraded to the new code system.
if you were a fuckwit and didnt register your beta code that I or one of the other sites gave you, youll be able to get that code converted... eventually.
I will be (most likely) given more newtype beta codes to hand out to people once the open beta eventually fills up etc.

I am currently asking for a complete server name list

So seems if you were in the previous beta then you are safe.

Salaadin

Jinko said:
According to Sonomaa at BG

So seems if you were in the previous beta then you are safe.

Im not sure by his wording. It doesnt really tell us what kind of position we are in if we got a code and already used it. It sounds like its only if you didnt use it, theyll reissue you one.

edit: can you link to the thread where they are discussing this?

DrDogg

Okay, so I downloaded everything from Gromph's site (Thank you!), and I put the D2010 patch file in the folder indicated in the OP, after running the install but before updating. But when I run the install it starts to download the H2010 patch. Am I doing something wrong here?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Azwethinkweiz said:
So is the only option to install this to your Documents and Settings folder? I have a separate partition for my OS and now it seems like I'm hosed because it's telling me it can't install since I don't have 12 gigs available in that folder. Yeah, well no shit. I have about a terabyte available elsewhere. Use that you assholes.

You plan on playing? Should be interesting to see someone else from Madden/NCAA on.

So, Gridania/Ul'dah/Limsa are nation names?

Man, they make Windurst/SanDoria/Bastok look like King James English!

I'll sign up to whatever nation has more of the "old guard" in it.

Lonestar said:
You plan on playing? Should be interesting to see someone else from Madden/NCAA on.

So, Gridania/Ul'dah/Limsa are nation names?

Man, they make Windurst/SanDoria/Bastok look like King James English!

I'll sign up to whatever nation has more of the "old guard" in it.

Gonna try it out. I played FFXI for about a year before hanging it up so I'll at least give it a shot.

Salaadin

Wow, someone on BG:

"wow godamnit i just quit my job on friday to in order to get ready for the beta test."

I hope thats not true :lol

Josh7289

The game has critical bugs 22 days from release. And when it's released it'll be missing features standard in all other MMOs. It's still inhospitable to a PC environment (no hardware mouse, super high required specs).

This game is really unfortunately a development nightmare. A beautiful nightmare, but still a nightmare.

I don't even want to think about it anymore.

Jinko

DrDogg said:
Okay, so I downloaded everything from Gromph's site (Thank you!), and I put the D2010 patch file in the folder indicated in the OP, after running the install but before updating. But when I run the install it starts to download the H2010 patch. Am I doing something wrong here?

If you are downloading from scratch you will most likely need different patch files to the ones gromph uploaded.

The game has critical bugs 22 days from release. And when it's released it'll be missing features standard in all other MMOs. It's still inhospitable to a PC environment (no hardware mouse, super high required specs).

This game is really unfortunately a development nightmare. A beautiful nightmare, but still a nightmare.

I don't even want to think about it anymore.

It's all true, but at this point I don't care anymore.

DrDogg

A friend mentioned something about a cap on how much you can XP a certain job before you get XP penalties. I've been too busy to keep up (I'm way back on page 74), but is there any truth to this?

Jinko said:
If you are downloading from scratch you will most likely need different patch files to the ones gromph uploaded.

It's all true, but at this point I don't care anymore.

Thank you. I'll commence with the slow SE process.

I also expect the game to be a paid beta until the PS3 release, but I really don't care.

Jinko

DrDogg said:
A friend mentioned something about a cap on how much you can XP a certain job before you get XP penalties. I've been too busy to keep up (I'm way back on page 74), but is there any truth to this?

We are all waiting to see if it's still true. :lol

But yea, the fatigue system stops you gaining XP after 15 hours per class per week.

Jinko

That crysta looks suspiciously like in game shop currency to me.

I mean it even has a character dressed up in a pink wedding dress.

I guess that item that resets everyone fatigue will be popular this summer /sarcasm

Hopefully its just an easy way for people who don't own credit cards to pay for subsciption fee's.

Salaadin

Sorry if this was touched on but I just loaded up the beta and theres a 9MB patch that appears to be from today. Its not grabbing any connections though. Just sitting at 0% though. Is this thing even possible to dl?

EDIT: Nvm, got it. Took 30 secs using utorrent. Now I login and get a "no services on this account" error. Good to go, I guess :D

Khrno

I thought the same this morning when I saw the banner:

crysta_img.jpg

But to be fair, there's a DS box in the picture, so it seems SE are going to use this Crysta currency for many more things and not just FFXIV. They have been trying to merge the SE Members with the SE ID all year, so they probably have some bigger plans on how to suck money out of people.

Now, if used for FFXIV, and if it end up for microtransactions, I hope it's used for aesthetics (like the wedding dress as you mention) and not for gameplay stuff (reset fatigue lol, weapons, more levequests, etc).

desa

can someone upload the ffxivlogin.exe file for me please. For some reason it's missing after installing the client and I can't start the game without it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
cartoon_soldier said:
Thanks.

I see two files, one is 1.2GB one in the first link, the second one is the 3.45GB Rar.

Which one should I get?

The 3.5gb is the main game, the 1.2gb is the latest patch. Download the installer (it's like 115mb I think) first and install, the download the 3.5gb and unzip it to your FFXIV file in program files, then download the patch and stick it in your patch folder under My Games.

Khrno

Awntawn said:
What server is she on?

Whatever it is, I vote we all move to that one 3;

Someone who speaks Japanese should send her a message by Twitter and ask her to join our LS :lol

DrDogg

Jinko said:
We are all waiting to see if it's still true. :lol

But yea, the fatigue system stops you gaining XP after 15 hours per class per week.

Thanks. Do you have a link to where the info originated so I don't have to dig through the last 20 pages?

And am I reading that correctly? Essentially SE thinks you should only XP for 15 hours per week on a single class? If true, I'd have to level 4 jobs at once... fail!

Khrno

Rentahamster said:
Well, that's odd. my antivirus (MSE) keeps telling me that there's a virus in one of the DAT files.

...C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\data\8C\D3\00\2D.DAT.tmp2

http://www.microsoft.com/security/p...px?name=Virus:DOS/SSR.gen&threatid=2147536588

SSR.gen

No idea, are you downloading the files using the SE client?

I my update yesterday through the client and had no problems at all, running BitDefender and Malwarebytes here. I downloaded Gromph's rar as well to check the folder structure earlier today, and didn't have any problems.

So it might be a false positive, if you don't want to run risks, I can upload the 2D.DAT file to a mirror and you can then get it and scan it, to continue with your update.

DrDogg said:
Thanks. Do you have a link to where the info originated so I don't have to dig through the last 20 pages?

And am I reading that correctly? Essentially SE thinks you should only XP for 15 hours per week on a single class? If true, I'd have to level 4 jobs at once... fail!

From this post in the beta site by Komoto: http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/12068-balancing-character-growth-in-beta-3/

And yeah, it's something like that.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Well, that's odd. my antivirus (MSE) keeps telling me that there's a virus in one of the DAT files.

...C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\data\8C\D3\00\2D.DAT.tmp2

http://www.microsoft.com/security/p...px?name=Virus:DOS/SSR.gen&threatid=2147536588

SSR.gen

LOL do you guys not read this thread at all, make sure MSE is up to date, if it still causes problems then disable it whilst installing.

And yes get Maria in the guild !!

Probably posted a few pages back, might beable to find it over at FFXIVcore aswell.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
LOL do you guys not read this thread at all, make sure MSE is up to date, if it still causes problems then disable it whilst installing.
Yeah, I did that already. I read up about it right after I posted. Thanks.

Allard

That's not exactly true. You can't do more then 15 hours in successive EXP leveling time (using some base formula they intend to tweak as the game goes on). It's not tied to the amount of time but the amount of time they expect you to take to get 15 hours worth of EXP (in otherwords is calculating your EXP gain over time rather then 15 hours and you are done, go slow and steady and below the threshold and you may never ever hit the fatigue cap). Furthmore the fatigue will go down if you are not logged in or choose to go level another class. It's just that if you don't do any of that and just straight grind a class and do nothing else in the game, it will automatically reset after 1 week of time. Basically you go level another class after you start getting fatigue, the fatigue on that particular class is supposed to go down barring a full reset in 1 weeks time. So in otherwords SE is forcing people to level more then one class (You really need to anyways, the game is designed with you leveling as many classes as possible.) but if you level 2-3 classes simultaneously, you should (theoretically) never hit surplus cap outside of physical level. The rate and formula is supposed to further adjusted in open beta to final release.

I hate the fatigue system but if you tweak it just enough it will replace rested EXP and the only negative will be a pscyhological issue (punishment vs reward). All they need to do is cap EXP you can lose to 50% and never have 0% and it will essentially be the same thing, if anything it will easier and faster to level then WoW ever was because this 'rested' (normal) EXP lasts significantly longer.

Jinko

FWIW WoW uses 50% XP after your rested bonus is gone, they sneakly reworded it so people thought bonus XP was 200%

Beta was 100% rested >50% normal
Now its 200% rested > 100% normal

Allard

FWIW WoW uses 50% XP after your rested bonus is gone, they sneakly reworded it so people thought bonus XP was 200%

Beta was 100% rested >50% normal
Now its 200% rested > 100% normal

Exactly. If they cap EXP return fatigue to 50%. It will be EXACTLY the same as WoW but the only difference is psychological. I hate the 'premise' of the the system but there is hope to balance it where it really doesn't hurt the hardcore anymore then WoW's system does. Which is why I think people complaining about the system in its most basic form need to really think about how other games are doing it and how it relates to FFXIV's system. They get rid of one element (0EXP gain after the last threshhold) and it won't be much different then modern MMORPGs outside of wording.

notworksafe

Except WoW's system has you getting normal XP after using up your "rested" XP amount. Square's system goes by time spent. What does that mean? Time spent in combat? In Active Mode? Outside of a town? Luckily I'll have plenty of time to regen fatigue while I spent hours looking for equipment without an AH or retainer search function.

Not to mention that XP rates were brutal at 100%. At 50% (or less) it's going to be just awful. At least WoW's normal XP doesn't make it that hard of a trek to each level.

Jinko

Allard said:
Exactly. If they cap EXP return fatigue to 50%. It will be EXACTLY the same as WoW but the only difference is psychological. I hate the 'premise' of the the system but there is hope to balance it where it really doesn't hurt the hardcore anymore then WoW's system does. Which is why I think people complaining about the system in its most basic form need to really think about how other games are doing it and how it relates to FFXIV's system. They get rid of one element (0EXP gain after the last threshhold) and it won't be much different then modern MMORPGs outside of wording.

I suggested 3 thresholds on the beta forum before I got my account wiped.

400%>200%>100%

Which is the same as 200>100>50, I also agree that it should never go below 50%, think its a good compromise.

It could make the game much more grindy but better to be grindy than not have anything to do or be forced to log off or play characters you dont' want to play.

Of course I am but one voice in a sea of complaint so I don't expect to be heard lol.

Allard

Except WoW's system has you getting normal XP after using up your "rested" XP amount. Square's system goes by time spent. What does that mean? Time spent in combat? In Active Mode? Outside of a town?

Did people not read the beta letter from the director about fatigue after it was released in this topic or something? It's all based around an EXP formula cap and how long 'they' think it should take to hit it 15 hours. Say the cap is 65k EXP... thats the amount of EXP/Skill points they expect someone to earn in 15 hours time by some formula they derived. They then divide that by 15 and that becomes EXP per hour (change it up whatever based on lowered return due to fatigue). You stay below that threshold, and the 15 hours becomes 20 hours or more of straight grinding. Furthermore after each hour a part of that EXP is returned from the fatigue (How much is not known). Basically you don't level or gain EXP on the class or stay below a given EXP threshold, you won't see the fatigue period, or at least that is there intention. This system is supposed to stop 10-24 hour grinding sessions from being allowed (in its current form). You do 6-7 hours of leveling, go level another class and then come back the next day and maybe half of your fatigue is already reset due to time away etc. Like I said, they get rid of the 0% EXP threshold and cap it at 50% and you won't know the difference between WoW and FFXIV other then one 'words' it to sound like a punishment.

Edit: Also the formula in question they have already said will be possibly adjusted due to feedback from beta testers. There goal is to make a predefined EXP/hour one can gain on a class without shutting out casuals who don't have the time to make said EXP/hour constantly. They up Skill Up gain and give people options to hit the cap faster, and if you want to play the game longer, you don't do those excercises constantly (thus another reason why Guild Leves are on a 48 hour cool down. Once you are left to straight grind and don't get increased skill up gain from fervor, you won't be seeing the fatigue cap at all for a long while). People started seeing fatigue early on in beta 3 due to an EXP glitch, it was never supposed to come off as harsh as it seemed in beta 3 because of it.

notworksafe

Again, stupid. Why exactly are they forcing people to play the game in a certain manner? Why not design engaging content with good rewards so people don't grind to get ahead.

It's a bad idea to punish players for gaining too much XP. I can't see why people are defending this. It's just another artificial timesink Square is putting up because they won't have any content for people at max level. Same thing with the retainer system.

Even though you say it'll be the same as WoW at 50% (and it could...but its hard to compare XP systems) it still looks bad. Joe Shmoe isn't going to look at a system that says he is currently earning 50% of the XP he could be getting as a good thing.

The whole casual argument is stupid as well. Capping XP for hardcore players doesn't help casuals. It just pisses off the hardcore. I would think that most people playing an MMO would realize that less time invested means less levels gained and less gear earned.

Allard

Again, stupid. Why exactly are they forcing people to play the game in a certain manner? Why not design engaging content with good rewards so people don't grind to get ahead.

It's a bad idea to punish players for gaining too much XP. I can't see why people are defending this. It's just another artificial timesink Square is putting up because they won't have any content for people at max level. Same thing with the retainer system.

I am not defending the premise, I am saying it can be adjusted in its most basic form that it will become the exact same as WoW. People like you asking for it be flat out removed need to understand you are psychological thinking this system is somehow crippling different then any other time sink employed by other MMORPGs. The only difference is the 0% EXP threshold and if they cap it at 50%, it literally will be no different save for wording then other modern MMORPGs. This system can be adjusted to work just like everything else and I quite frankly don't see it getting removed so its best we start sending stuff to them that will hopefully get them to change it to work in other peoples favor.

Secondly in regards to retainers. I honestly don't mind them, they need adjusting and more streamlined and fixing UI lag will help with that. They put in a simple Retainer search and the system has the potential to be better then AH (with the hold demand feature they put in place, you can't have something like that if you setup an AH) so I really don't like how everyone is jumping on how they "NEED" a standard AH out of the gate when I actually would like to see how they expand the system and how the community actually utilizes it after a couple months into release. The way its in beta is horrible but I also see plenty of places for improvement.

carlo6529

DeathNote said:
My "My Games" folder was not there until I tried to run ffxivboot.exe. It lagged for a second then created "My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\bca2a8ae".

Thanks, that did the trick for the missing folders. Extracting now, hopefully it goes well.

DrDogg

Thanks for the links guys. Appreciate it.

Now then... this system sounds terrible to me. Why am I being forced to change classes? And don't tell me to XP slower. I prided myself on fast XP in FFXI and I refuse to "slow down" just to avoid a ridiculous weekly XP cap of sorts.

I already plan on planning 2-4 classes, but at my leisure. I'm not happy about having to change classes just to avoid this stupid cap. And what happens if I get a party invite on CON, and an hour in I hit XP cap. I'm either stuck getting sub par XP, or I have to change classes and possibly get a new party.

And what happens when people reach higher levels and/or figure out better and faster ways to kill mobs? Imagine if they had this kind of crap when FFXI first started. Look at TP burn parties or SMN burn parties now. It's a world of difference in how fast XP can be earned now.

How can anyone say this is a good thing?

This also worries me...

The experience point threshold, however, is unrelated to class, and switching classes will have no effect on the decreasing rate of earnable experience.

If I'm understanding this quote correctly, it doesn't matter if you change class, the XP cap is still in place. I really hold I'm reading this incorrectly.

notworksafe

Allard said:
I am not defending the premise, I am saying it can be adjusted in its most basic form that it will become the exact same as WoW. People like you asking for it be flat out removed need to understand you are psychological thinking this system is somehow crippling different then any other time sink employed by other MMORPGs. The only difference is the 0% EXP threshold and if they cap it at 50%, it literally will be no different save for wording then other modern MMORPGs. This system can be adjusted to work just like everything else and I quite frankly don't see it getting removed so its best we start sending stuff to them that will hopefully get them to change it to work in other peoples favor.
So why not just make it a bonus system like many other MMOs have already done? There's been plenty of focus testing in games in the past many years that show that people like to be rewarded. Square being how they are, have decided that isn't a good idea. No matter how close it is to WoW/WAR/Aion/LotRO (notice how many MMOs realized rewarding players is good?) system of XP gain, people will be upset when they are shown to be getting only 50%.

And the XP cap will always apply to Physical Level anyway, so there is a cap per week no matter how much class switching you do.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Allard said:

IF the cap were 50%, it's not. Plus you act like the psychological difference doesn't mean anything. If a player feels like he's being punished for playing more, it is a big difference. WoW's system feels like it gives a bonus to people who don't play a lot, this system feels like it punishes people who do. Even if they changed it to cap at 50%, it still has a more negative effect on the player base than WoW's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom