• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

zlatko said:
Wtf do I do now? Wait the other like 36 hours until I can have leves again to level off of?

Go get level and rank 10, this is not FFXIII, you are allowed to go and kill mobs while you wait for the next "chapter".

Change the class and do some gathering/crafting.

Do some Behests by the Aerthyte camps, I think they are up every 30 min.

notworksafe

zlatko said:
Wtf do I do now? Wait the other like 36 hours until I can have leves again to level off of?
Grind, basically. Not too much on one class though, you'll get fatigue. You can also group with other people doing leves as well.

Jinko

So not only can you not invite people to the linkshell who aren't in the same zone as you, but you can't promote them unless they are in the same zone either.

FAIL

notworksafe said:
Grind, basically. Not too much on one class though, you'll get fatigue. You can also group with other people doing leves as well.

SE clearly doesn't know what "casual" is. Grinding is not going to keep casuals playing.

Teknoman

360 pad (or PS3 for that matter) config for those who need it:

Start button for map, back button/select for auto-run. Triggers for macro menus, X for emotes, Y for main menu, A to confirm, B to cancel, RB for active/passive mode, LB to check out status icons.

Left stick in (L3) for view change, Right stick in (R3) to lock on. D-pad for changing targets/scrolling in the party menu. No need for extra buttons.

4t1z4p.jpg

Its actually a pretty good set up, and makes you only need the keyboard for typing/macro entry.

Decay24

Neo Member
I used my PS3 controller for the last phase of the beta and it worked great.

Had L1 as my autorun, pretty much had it setup exactly like how FF11 on PS2 was setup.

Am I the only one here that doesn't like this game at all? Almost no aspects of it :S
Gave account to friend to test it, but I'll try it again later, I'm lost, not sure what to do, maybe if I played with someone. But basically, interface is laggy, graphics while can be pretty look kinda hmm dead, game confusing and gives you no hints what to do(some but they suck), controls are crappy, not optimized well, buggy etc etc :|

https://sites.google.com/site/nolimitss/ffxivgame2010-09-0221-27-20-55.png

zlatko

Banned
Khrno said:
Go get level and rank 10, this is not FFXIII, you are allowed to go and kill mobs while you wait for the next "chapter".

Change the class and do some gathering/crafting.

Do some Behests by the Aerthyte camps, I think they are up every 30 min.

I really really do NOT want to gather or craft jack crap. At least not THIS early on in game. What's a behests? I just need a steady form of exp---I'm fine with grinding mobs. I just wasn't able to find mobs TO grind off of after the leves from Quicksand were completed.

Khrno

zlatko said:
What's a behests?

From the Beta Manual

Behests are quests to vanquish monsters, occasionally occurring near certain aetheryte and aetherial gates. Players can receive rewards such as items for successfully completing them.

The Flow of a Behest
1. Should a behest be issued, speak to the battlewarden appearing near the aetheryte or aetherial gate to accept it.
*You can cancel a behest by speaking with the battlewarden once again.

2. When it is time to start, the number and names of the monsters to defeat will appear in a window, much like in a levequest.

3. Once all of the monsters have been vanquished, speak with the battlewarden to receive your reward.

I don't mind grinding, and found myself a little cave with 3 Glowflies, 1 Errant Spirit and 2 Moles that just keep respawning in time to keep my kills going with almost no downtime since they are either blue or green mobs.

QAnd since I'm far from town, there's no moe people coming around to kill my mobs.

zlatko

Banned
notworksafe said:
Behests are another form of quest you get from people near crystals.

Hmm weird I talked to the NPCs around the camp area outside of Ul'dah but none were giving out any quests. I'll have to go take a peek again when I wake up. Going to go to sleep now.

I was also wondering when I went to the pugilist HQ area there was abilities the guy was selling for some sorta points I hadn't obtained yet. When will you start getting these points for these skills/abilities ?

Oh and while I'm at it is getting new gear pretty much from crafting with a few items from leve rewards ? NPCs don't sell anything other than level 1 starting gear in Ul'dah, although I saw some earrings and necklaces for LV8-20. Just curious how I should go about getting better gear.

Edit: I see Khrono. Thanks for the explanation. So there is exp spots but they are hiddenish? I guess I'll have to read up on FFXIVcore or something on where some good spots are to be had. Appreciate the help guys. :)

notworksafe

Yeah behests reward some gear, but the best way is to brave the market wards and start searching on retainers for gear upgrades.

Balya

Salaadin said:
I cant do the server switch if we have to. Too many people to talk to and too little of a time frame to do it if we wait. Im stuck with Lindblum.

I'd rather stick with Lindblum if we can, we could go through the trouble of getting everyone on Wutai and by retail enough people might remember that it's from FFVII that it'd be as crowded or worse. :lol

Soroc

Hey Khrno Do you know where I can see that Beta Manual in all its glory?? Do I have access to the beta forums? I can't even find where or how to get to beta forums?

Teknoman

Nolimit_SS said:
Am I the only one here that doesn't like this game at all? Almost no aspects of it :S
Gave account to friend to test it, but I'll try it again later, I'm lost, not sure what to do, maybe if I played with someone. But basically, interface is laggy, graphics while can be pretty look kinda hmm dead, game confusing and gives you no hints what to do(some but they suck), controls are crappy, not optimized well, buggy etc etc :|

https://sites.google.com/site/nolimitss/ffxivgame2010-09-0221-27-20-55.png

If you mean no hints as in the main quests and stuff...they tell you where to go and mark it on the map. Theres a basic combat tutorial at the beginning of each city scene. What exactly were you confused about?

notworksafe said:
Yeah behests reward some gear, but the best way is to brave the market wards and start searching on retainers for gear upgrades.

The NPCs dont sell decent gear now?

notworksafe

Soroc said:
Hey Khrno Do you know where I can see that Beta Manual in all its glory?? Do I have access to the beta forums? I can't even find where or how to get to beta forums?
If you are in the beta, you should have access to the forums. In the OP is a link to the beta manual and control scheme.

Soroc

notworksafe said:
If you are in the beta, you should have access to the forums. In the OP is a link to the beta manual and control scheme.

Yeah I guess it doesn't work for open beta accounts. Sucks...

Ok, just got home and am trying to play. Every time I select my Lindblum character the "now loading" screen just goes forever until FFXIV is eventually not responding and needs to be ctrl alt deleted. Is this happening to anyone else?

Also, is Lindblum really an RP server now? WTF mate?

Zomba13

I say we stick with lindblum because I've just convinced loooads of people (my LS and friends LS) to be on lindblum of OB and retail. I don't want to have to then ask them all to jump ship to another server because some might not get the message and end up starting on the wrong server.

And just because an RP forum or something chose lindblum as it's server doesn't mean we'll see a billion RPers 'thou'ing all over the place.

Also have they gimped the skill you get from mobs? I'm getting bugger all now. like less than 100 on average from a green mob. I get a bit more in leves but not much (still get a lot more exp though).

Teknoman said:
360 pad (or PS3 for that matter) config for those who need it:

Start button for map, back button/select for auto-run. Triggers for macro menus, X for emotes, Y for main menu, A to confirm, B to cancel, RB for active/passive mode, LB to check out status icons.

Left stick in (L3) for view change, Right stick in (R3) to lock on. D-pad for changing targets/scrolling in the party menu. No need for extra buttons.

4t1z4p.jpg

Its actually a pretty good set up, and makes you only need the keyboard for typing/macro entry.

Awesome, thank you for sharing this. I just set up my PS3 controller to work on my PC as I wanted to see how it felt with FFXIV but I didn't know how I should have set my buttons.

Zomba13

Wow just hit stage 1 fatigue on my Pug. Havn't been playing much. did around 5 leves because I crashed out during the others and grinded a few mobs. No way were SE telling the truth when they said it'd take around 8 hours to reach the exp needed to get fatigued if your an average player. I've been online a total of around 4 or 5 hours I'd say and exploring (ie out of combat) for at least 1 of those.

EDIT: o.o Think i just capped my fatigue. I got no skill from that mob. Going after another one to check

Decay24

Neo Member
HarryDemeanor said:
Awesome, thank you for sharing this. I just set up my PS3 controller to work on my PC as I wanted to see how it felt with FFXIV but I didn't know how I should have set my buttons.

Thought I'd take a picture of mine since I noticed the PS3 and Xbox buttons are listed differently. Might be because I'm using MotioninJoy but I am not sure.

controller1.jpg

desa

LaneDS said:
There is a separate exe called FFXIV Beta Config you need to run before playing the game, all the graphics options that really matter are in there.

Is it called FFXIVbetaconfig.exe or just FFXIVconfig.exe?

Jinko

bloodforge said:
Who's giving out linkpearls in Gridania?

I could use an invite, name is Hanna Marin.

Sent you several tells but no reply, wish SE would make /tells more noticeable.

Wow just hit stage 1 fatigue on my Pug. Havn't been playing much. did around 5 leves because I crashed out during the others and grinded a few mobs. No way were SE telling the truth when they said it'd take around 8 hours to reach the exp needed to get fatigued if your an average player. I've been online a total of around 4 or 5 hours I'd say and exploring (ie out of combat) for at least 1 of those.

I was getting green text at level 4 :lol , although its gone now and im at level 6.

Einherjar

Anyone know how to do the first Alchemy levequest thing?

I need to make Rubber Soles, and apparently the small guy is supposed to give me the materials to make it, but I don't see any new materials in my inventory.

Ilparazzo

I dont get it, they told me to go to the north gate at uldah to meet the annoying "emote trainer" and shes nowhere to Be found.

Edit: ooooh i get it. Just needed to walk a little further.

Decay24

Neo Member
Einherjar said:
Anyone know how to do the first Alchemy levequest thing?

I need to make Rubber Soles, and apparently the small guy is supposed to give me the materials to make it, but I don't see any new materials in my inventory.

you won't. When you talk to the NPC, open the menu and hit synth. When the box appears, go to the very top option and select it. Then select the guildleve from the drop down box and the items should be placed into the 8 boxes for synthing.

Balya

Ilparazzo said:
I dont get it, they told me to go to the north gate at uldah to meet the annoying "emote trainer" and shes nowhere to Be found

bardia found her earlier when we were both stuck on this, you have to run outside town and then back toward the gate.

Salaadin

Khrno said:
The lag from 2-3 hours ago is gone.

Overcrowded, I don't know, gotta check the amount of chocobos :lol
I think people are overreacting. Lets jump ship to another server because there's lag on day one of a closed open beta that has been hammered for the past 20 hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom