• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagete

Am I doing somethin wrong? I'm supposed to kill 3 Funguars but all I ever get is THE ACTION CANNOT BE PERFORMED over and over again... Is there something wrong? I was able to do the combat with the wolves just fine...

DrDogg

Played for a bit last night. Mainly did crafting since the two battleleves I tried crashed on me. I made it out to Camp Horizon and I need to go to Camp Bluefog, but I can't figure out how to get there. Anyone know?

Also, anyone know how to get better crafting results? I figured out that you need to use teh wait option if you get a bad result (crystal is unstable, etc.), and I know bold gives you a quality boost, but I'd just like a higher overall success rate.

Zomba13

Titanic, solo lalafell style

ffxivgame2010-09-0419-23-04-37.jpg

ffxivgame2010-09-0419-24-19-13.jpg

Khrno

kagete said:
Am I doing somethin wrong? I'm supposed to kill 3 Funguars but all I ever get is THE ACTION CANNOT BE PERFORMED over and over again... Is there something wrong? I was able to do the combat with the wolves just fine...

That leve is bugged, it has given lots of problems.

Monster Difficulty!
There is an icon by their name.
Blue: Easy prey
Green Decent challenge
Yellow: Tough
Orange: Incredibly tough
Red: Impossible to gauge

A Too Weak icon should be added. There are blue mobs that give 500+ exp and some others that give 150 at level 10.

kagete

Okay assuming I can't do that quest. What is there that I can start doing? Is it just grinding on star marmots right now? I never craft in any MMO so that stuff doesn't appeal to me. I really, really want to give this beta a fair shake and see if it opens up but damn if it's not giving me any love

DrDogg

Khrno said:
A Too Weak icon should be added. There are blue mobs that give 500+ exp and some others that give 150 at level 10.

I've seen mobs with no icon. Any idea what that is? One seemed to be easy prey and another one-shotted me.

Khrno

DrDogg said:
I've seen mobs with no icon. Any idea what that is? One seemed to be easy prey and another one-shotted me.

Those are lagged mobs, don't fight them unless you are certain they are blue/green :lol

From Beta site:

At the following time, a new update for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version went live.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 4, 2010 at 17:00 (GMT)

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]
- An issue wherein a player may disconnect from the game when fighting against a certain monster has been addressed.

- An issue wherein the server may go down under a certain condition has been addressed.

kagete said:
Okay assuming I can't do that quest. What is there that I can start doing? Is it just grinding on star marmots right now? I never craft in any MMO so that stuff doesn't appeal to me. I really, really want to give this beta a fair shake and see if it opens up but damn if it's not giving me any love

There should be more leves for you to do, unless you've already done 8.

kagete said:

Could be lag, or the mob has put a paralysing effect on you. My guess it's the lag, especially if you're on the GAF server.

EDIT: NM, didn't see your reply khrno. /salute

bardia

My version update is stuck at 94.8% for the past hour, I've tried resetting the launcher, restarting my computer and nothing is working :lol

Checked some of those noob websites, couldn't find anything, but I'm super stuck in the first quest for the tree-city people, Color of Sin. They told me to go to the conjurers, I did, there was a scene, and theeen nothing. No one will say anything new, the quest journal hasn't been updated and the npc linkpearl doesn't say anything new. halp?

Also frustrating is that anytime I try to alt-tab it immediately crashes.

carlo6529

bardia said:
My version update is stuck at 94.8% for the past hour, I've tried resetting the launcher, restarting my computer and nothing is working :lol

Im in the same situation.

Edit~ Below post saved my life.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Salaadin said:
Use the torrent in the d*****/metainfo folder. Itll be finished in 2 mins tops.

EDIT: Again, heres how to do it:

-Goto \Users\*User*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\metainfo and find the D2010.09.04.2000 torrent or any other patches you might need.
-Use your favorite torrent program to download the torrent.
-When finished, goto the directory that it download to and find the D2010.09.04.2000.patch file. It will be a few folders deep but yould find it. Copy it.
-Paste the .patch file into \Users\*User*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch
-Rerun the updater
This works guys...

OSHAN

Salaadin said:
Use the torrent in the d*****/metainfo folder. Itll be finished in 2 mins tops.

EDIT: Again, heres how to do it:

-Goto \Users\*User*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\metainfo and find the D2010.09.04.2000 torrent or any other patches you might need.
-Use your favorite torrent program to download the torrent.
-When finished, goto the directory that it download to and find the D2010.09.04.2000.patch file. It will be a few folders deep but yould find it. Copy it.
-Paste the .patch file into \Users\*User*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch
-Rerun the updater

Worked, thanks man.

I was curious to see how long the new patch update would take by updating officially through the FFXIV client. The patch got to 98.4% in about 2 minutes, but then stuck at that percentage for the next 4 hours without ever completing.

I was glad to let the updater sit and do its thing (or not do it apparently :lol ) since not being able to play FFXIV allowed me to complete some work I needed to do without any distractions. As soon as I completed my work, I downloaded the patch externally and placed it in the patch folder. This took me all of 10 seconds. :lol

Honestly, if their patches are always that much of a pain in the ass in FFXIV's future, then I think those casual players (who may not be aware of DLing the patch externally) that Squeenix is targeting are going to get frustrated with this game very quickly.

ZiZ

notworksafe said:
People seem to have failed at quoting this so here's a version with everyone's name on it. So just post your name and starting area and I'll keep an updated version (as much as I can anyway) in the OP.

If I missed your name, post it here and I'll add it to the OP. If people want to post who they are in other servers, I'll keep that in the OP too.

EDIT: Also Ziz, what's your character's last name?

My name is Ziz Almajhool. and I'm in Ul'dah not Gridania. :D

Scarecrow

I have some configuration questions. I want to use a 360 controller, but can't find the option in the "configuration" menu. I can only find stuff for the keyboard. I'm also looking for ways to turn more of the graphics settings down some to make performance better, but can't find any detailed options for that either.

Scarecrow said:
I have some configuration questions. I want to use a 360 controller, but can't find the option in the "configuration" menu. I can only find stuff for the keyboard. I'm also looking for ways to turn more of the graphics settings down some to make performance better, but can't find any detailed options for that either.

For the 360 controller, first make sure the controller is connected and your computer sees it. Then open up the "FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version Config." Click the "game pad" option. Then select the "Active gamepad" dropdown menu and choose your 360 controller. Then configure it how you would like.

As for graphic settings, open the FFXIV config again but select "general." All the graphical settings you can tweak will be under the "video settings" and "graphics" tabs.

Scarecrow

BentMyWookiee said:
For the 360 controller, first make sure the controller is connected and your computer sees it. Then open up the "FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version Config." Click the "game pad" option. Then select the "Active gamepad" dropdown menu and choose your 360 controller. Then configure it how you would like.

As for graphic settings, open the FFXIV config again but select "general." All the graphical settings you can tweak will be under the "video settings" and "graphics" tabs.
Keen. I take it this is outside the actual game, not in the in-game options?

I can't seem to find the config stuff outside of the game.

Animal

Banned
Guys i'm getting frustrated with this beta install.

I downloaded the client (118MB), Then I went into the d96wtv folder and downloaded all the torrents in there.

I launch the client and its still trying to download files at eye bludgeoning speeds of slow.

Scarecrow said:
Keen. I take it this is outside the actual game, not in the in-game options?

I can't seem to find the config stuff outside of the game.

Yes, outside the actual game. To find the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version Config go:

Start menu --> All Programs --> SQUARE ENIX --> FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version --> FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version Config

Scarecrow

BentMyWookiee said:
Yes, outside the actual game. To find the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version Config go:

Start menu --> All Programs --> SQUARE ENIX --> FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version --> FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version Config
excellent. you're my savior.

crap, I think there's too many commands for the controller! :lol

where can I find some recommendations?

Scarecrow said:
excellent. you're my savior.

crap, I think there's too many commands for the controller! :lol

where can I find some recommendations?

This is my setup on the 360 controller. I find that it works well for my tastes

w216600563.png

falastini

DrDogg said:
Played for a bit last night. Mainly did crafting since the two battleleves I tried crashed on me. I made it out to Camp Horizon and I need to go to Camp Bluefog, but I can't figure out how to get there. Anyone know?

Also, anyone know how to get better crafting results? I figured out that you need to use teh wait option if you get a bad result (crystal is unstable, etc.), and I know bold gives you a quality boost, but I'd just like a higher overall success rate.
I can't find Bluefog either. I assumed it was a typo.

Crafting results depend on your rank and the level of the item you're crafting. If your at, or just below the level of the item, you can spam rapid syth for near 100% success. Once you're comfortably higher then the item, you can gamble a bit by using standard and bold syths to get a better quality number. I assume quality # gives a higher chance of HQ the higher the number. I know I made a +1 item with a 135 score yesterday.

The problem is the game doesn't really tell you what level the items are. You gotta go by feel, or check websites.

JKTrix

Teknoman said:
I'll invite you. Just gimme a tell in game: Teknoman Blade.

Tekno are you still at that camp? I was tryin to talk to ya (Trix Sforzando) but my party was yelling at me. and now my game crashed.

Well, guess i'll let the client cool off for a while, it keeps crashing about 30 secs into a levequest which of course makes me fail it. Here's what I want to know tho: How can you restore your HP while you're doing a levequest? I have a little spell to restore some MP, but nothing for HP. Do they maybe sell potions somewhere or some such?

theinfinityissue said:
Well, guess i'll let the client cool off for a while, it keeps crashing about 30 secs into a levequest which of course makes me fail it. Here's what I want to know tho: How can you restore your HP while you're doing a levequest? I have a little spell to restore some MP, but nothing for HP. Do they maybe sell potions somewhere or some such?

Sheath weapon.

zlatko

Banned
Anyone else feel the battle system is a bit dumb? I don't like having to mash attack. I think I'd prefer auto attack to be fairly honest. It seems this game was trying for a more actiony vibe like Tera, but failed half way to its full realization to that goal .

Zakkath

Yeah, it's definetly not as good as it could be. I would have liked auto-attacks too.

Also have a few questions.

-How do we craft items ? I picked up a few blacksmith quests at the adventurer's guild in Uldah, but I have no idea how to make the items.
-How do you mine nodes ? Again, bought some pickaxes, but dunno how to use them. Do I need to equip it ?
-I finished the "Some like it hot questline", but I have no idea where to go next. I don't quite understand how this game's progression works yet. Do I just move to the next zone's Aetheryte ?

Advice for anyone trying this game : get a controller. It makes a huge difference for this game. The k&m controls are shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom