• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

DrDogg said:
Played for a bit last night. Mainly did crafting since the two battleleves I tried crashed on me. I made it out to Camp Horizon and I need to go to Camp Bluefog, but I can't figure out how to get there. Anyone know?

Also, anyone know how to get better crafting results? I figured out that you need to use teh wait option if you get a bad result (crystal is unstable, etc.), and I know bold gives you a quality boost, but I'd just like a higher overall success rate.

My plan is to stick with crafting leves with guilds in that city, and get crafting support. That's "Using the Facilities," in the menu of the right-most person behind the desk.

There are three levels of it, but even the lowest level seemed to make a big difference, and it's only 100 gil for... 10-15 minutes, I think?

Again, they really need to add a recipe book. What's even weirder is that I completed a leve, and it said "You learned a recipe," so maybe it's coming?

Crafting seems rather unfinished. If you check that Yellow Goblin database, it looks like there are tons of otherwise unobtainable items that don't have recipes yet.

Forbiden

Got a bit of an "issue" here. The updater indicated that the current file I was on was D2010.08.30.2000, so I went ahead and downloaded that file from the link in the OP. However, I place the file in the correct folder and it doesn't seem to do anything. I also have another file in that folder with the exact same numbers, but with H instead of D before the numbers. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Xilium

Forbiden said:
Got a bit of an "issue" here. The updater indicated that the current file I was on was D2010.08.30.2000, so I went ahead and downloaded that file from the link in the OP. However, I place the file in the correct folder and it doesn't seem to do anything. I also have another file in that folder with the exact same numbers, but with H instead of D before the numbers. Any ideas what could be wrong?

It's probably best to just download everything from 8-30 to present and put them all in the patch folder. The installer should then check to make sure each of the files are present and will then begin to install them.

The 8-30 file should be an "H" though and 8-31 is a "D". Not sure what those stand for...

Zomba13

WTF!
I was running along, chatting away and BAM! ...now loading...
And I was at the select character screen. Then I select my character and it says I'm now in the queue. 1st place. I was kicked to make room for someone!

Teknoman

I like the mashing attacks once you have more than one attack. Its really the only way battle regimen could be done.

Its kinda...off with only one attack, but once you get other attacks and skills, it works just fine (aside from server lag, but thats another issue).

Also brb, for some reason I got kicked to character select screen, no errors at all.

EDIT: You too? :lol Whats going on?

Oh got some bronze gauntlets and a bronze dagger now. I see what the whole item level sync means. Optimal rank is the rank that you can take full advantage of the item's stats. At a lower level, your stats will only go up a small amount compared to what they should with said item.

Kinda strange, but I guess it lets people hold onto and use items earlier/longer. But it defeats the purpose if a a Rank 6 weapon equipped at Rank 6...is stronger than a Rank 9.

I guess retail will fully explain this or later in the beta if its an intended system?

Decay24

Neo Member
ff14_(82).jpg

Couldn't attack the fungars due to the "Unable to perform that action" error but I was able to kick my own ass. Good to know Square.

zlatko

Banned
Decay24 said:
ff14_(82).jpg

Couldn't attack the fungars due to the "Unable to perform that action" error but I was able to kick my own ass. Good to know Square.

LMAO that happened to me too at Ul'dah on my very second leve ever. I was so WTFing when I read that. :lol I popped myself for over 200 dmg in one shot.

Decay24

Neo Member
zlatko said:
LMAO that happened to me too at Ul'dah on my very second leve ever. I was so WTFing when I read that. :lol I popped myself for over 200 dmg in one shot.

I keep on getting this unable to perform that action error. So damn annoying

edit - and I just read it's a common issue. Never doing that guildleve again.

Chris R

Balya said:
I still haven't had "You defeat you." happen to me, but I did just make it my Xbox Live motto.
Dying from poison seems to do the trick. Haven't died on my new char yet. Pirate area is much better.

zlatko

Banned
rhfb said:
Dying from poison seems to do the trick. Haven't died on my new char yet. Pirate area is much better.

Agreed. Fuck Ul'dah in the eye.

I heavily started to enjoy the game more once I made my character in Limsa and made my own LS. :)

Zomba13

SE are pro Trolls. Super hard behest, took nearly a full party working together to do and we managed it with like 1 min left. Reward: 900 gil and a basket of bees.

zlatko

Banned
Zomba13 said:
SE are pro Trolls. Super hard behest, took nearly a full party working together to do and we managed it with like 1 min left. Reward: 900 gil and a basket of bees.

Wtf kinda bethest you do? I can solo the ones by Limsa no problem. I 2 shot the imp boss that spawns, and I can 2 shot each Jelly fish if it's the jelly fish boss. All the mobs are pretty much 1 shot.

I play Marauder and it's been like that I think since level 8 Marauder and I'm level 11 marauder now. The exp is still great. I never miss a chance to do a bethest if I see the warden. :D

carlo6529

I played for a couple of hours today. Starting to get a hang of the controls with the keyboard. To be honest though, I don't know what they were thinking with them; you should be able to click and hold with the mouse to move forward. Also, having to hit enter after every action command is annoying. They are going to scare a lot of casuals away with the kb controls.
haven't tried it with the game pad but i know it's much easier with it

Wooho finally got new skills on the bar

This has to be the worst implementation of putting skills on your bar I have seen in the MMOs I have played :lol :lol

If SE is targeting casuals, they will fail.

Nolimit_SS said:
^ how? I'm level 6 on one character and got that attack skill only QQ
Weirdest MMO ever...

Open up your Actions and Traits menu.

In the first box, under Action Points, you should have your default skill equipped.

On the right, there is a drop-down (that is sort of hard to notice), select a weapon from that. That will display the skills you can use.

Selec the box next to your default skill, and select a skill from the drop-down menus, you will have the option to equip in MH or OH, select MH to equip it.

Pay attention to your chat box, it will say when skill is equipped, there is a lag between when you perform the equipping and the time it takes for it to appear in the box.

They have really made something that should be so simple into something that is cumbersome.

facepalm.jpg

Thanks, they made so many things difficult, meh. Noone I talked to really like this game or understands whats going on lol, except some fellow gaffers :p

Macattk15

The beta client installer thing just closes immediately when I try to open it. I get a MS DOS like window that opens and "final fantasy beta installer" stopped working or whatever.

Anyone get this problem before? This is happening on my g/f's laptop ... installer worked fine on my desktop.

That and I have no idea where to put all these patch files .... the link in the OP tells me to put them in a directory that wasnt created for me apparently.

Teknoman

Nolimit_SS said:
facepalm.jpg

Thanks, they made so many things difficult, meh. Noone I talked to really like this game or understands whats going on lol, except some fellow gaffers :p

Its not really that hard, and I think its done like that since you can pretty much set any skill from any class. Either way, you actually get a second normal attack skill after finishing up the first small section of the main story quest.

EDIT: Maybe I should start using the S-E screenshot option? pretty clean shots.

yay I'm on

Server: Linblum
Name: Thousandmaster Talltale

I think my router is going crazy. It seems that if I play the game, the rest of the house including the computer I'm using, can't go online. My computer is on hardline while the rest are on wireless. Usually it's my computer that loses connection while the rest of the house is able to go online just fine. So I'm pretty much soloing because of unreliable connection and lag.

I started at the pirate city and finished the Treasure part of my quest. But I don't know where to go to continue the main storyline. I then went on a boat ride to another dock and been on foot ever since to different starting cities. I'm currently just arrived to the city that resembles Windurst of XI. I tried to do the battle Leve thing but it's telling me to trade one of my other ones or something.... I finished 8 of those so far as I'm doing my world tour and it won't let me trade or take new ones. On top of that I still don't have an idea of how to continue my main quest! :lol

Also along the way I encountered many "unable to perform action" error and I died many times. But I guess that it's not just me.

So if anyone would like to give me a hint of where to go next that would be awesome. :D

Unknown Soldier said:
So while we were exploring Eorzea, we found Castlevania! We couldn't find a way to get there though.

castlevania.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's pretty rad!

[QUOTE=Kronotech]Anyone know which city had the alchemy guild?[/QUOTE]

I think I saw that in the pirate town

Teknoman said:
Its not really that hard, and I think its done like that since you can pretty much set any skill from any class. Either way, you actually get a second normal attack skill after finishing up the first small section of the main story quest.

EDIT: Maybe I should start using the S-E screenshot option? pretty clean shots.
Dunno, I couldn't find out how or anyone I talked to and we're not bunch of noobs/tards :s
Also skills reset when you change class? Make macro to fix that I guess hmm

Teknoman

Zomba13 said:

What level was that anyway? I think alot of us were under leveled. When that guy asked why I didnt have provoke at lvl 10, I shut up quick :lol

Was still rank 5.

Zomba13

Teknoman said:
What level was that anyway? I think alot of us were under leveled. When that guy asked why I didnt have provoke at lvl 10, I shut up quick :lol

Was still rank 5.
it was a rank 10 one I assume. The camp wa a rank 10 camp =/

Khrno

Unknown Soldier said:
So while we were exploring Eorzea, we found Castlevania! We couldn't find a way to get there though.

Well, you should have gone to the gates:

1283645038.jpg

There's a long bridge from that closed gate to Ishgard.

Atrus

Gold Member
So I finally got to experience the game firsthand when my brother got an account up and running today.

The game runs almost without a hitch once you turn off ambient occlusion. As mentioned previously, we both built new PC's just for the game and he got a score of 9100 I think on High.

i7 980x 4.some Ghz, 6GB RAM and Crossfired HD5970's.
i7 980x 3.7 Ghz, 6GB RAM and Crossfired HD5870's.

Ambient Occlusion seems to bog the game down greatly. The game looks amazing with everything set to the highest settings.

He started two characters, one in Ul'dah, a Lalafel named something Moss on Figaro server and a Hyur Female on another named Green Arrow (guess what class) from Gridania.

Story is starting out with an epic tone but of the 3 I think Ul'dah is the best with Gridania in close second. My brother thinks Limsa Lominsa is the second best opening but I suppose tastes will differ on #2.

Gridania's town looks better but Ul'dah has the best design for functionality. The maze around Gridania isn't too bad either since it has open areas for camps, but we haven't gotten to the truly maze like areas.

Issues with the beta so far are the following:

1) Errors in dialogue are apparent.
2) Character creation options are absurd. Falafels have the least hair options while Hume Female has 9 with an additional sub-category to 3 of them. Males are shafted when it comes to females in the number of options available.

I'm hoping that the retail version brings all races and all sexes up to parity in the number of options available. There is no reason something like tattoo color should be limited to just 4 options when the coding is no different than that of the hair color scheme.

3) The Mouse. Just like everyone else we have issues with the mouse as well. Typically we also play FFXI one-handed with the keyboard, and so for some reason we've been having issues with trying to change the keyboard settings.

4) Map names are not in English. I wonder what's there in that... uh... place that starts with a T and ends in what looks like an H in the lower-left corner.

5) Still a number of apparent bugs in the game. Saw a Falafel run up one of those Gridanian trees, killed a Funguar that simply sat around for half it's life with the archer.

6) Completed a few Leves but noticed that the victory song played on a loop. The first instinct was to go around killing things and then using the warp point as a free trip to camp but after we realized the music won't end, we killed the idea.

7) We will kill that Windows key and kill it good.

From our brief play through, we're both convinced to get the game on day 1 or near-to. I was also pretty amazed at how the characters animated and could deliver emotion.

Both Shard and Kumaeru from Midgard should be entering a new set of adventures soon.

Teknoman

Atrus said:
S

5) Still a number of apparent bugs in the game. Saw a Falafel run up one of those Gridanian trees, killed a Funguar that simply sat around for half it's life with the archer.

6) Completed a few Leves but noticed that the victory song played on a loop. The first instinct was to go around killing things and then using the warp point as a free trip to camp but after we realized the music won't end, we killed the idea.

5 was probably just server lag. 6? If you dont want to hear the fanfare over and over, just choose to let the node disappear. That way it'll give you the rewards, and let you beat up on whatever is near by.

Finally downloading and updating, so I'll be hopping in Sunday or Monday. Hope I have a better experience than I did with closed beta.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Trying to login to the tester site to download the client just keeps sending me back to the "Beta test can only be access by those granted..." page. I registered the key on my account. So far this has been a bloody infuriating sign up ¬_¬

Pietepiet

So, repairs are confusing the hell out of me. I got the "gear needs to be repaired" icon, so I went back to Gridania to get some materials so I can repair my stuff. But some of these are pretty expensive. Doesn't seem worth it to repair your gear for this amount of money.
Can someone explain this to me?

God, why does something that should be as simple as a few clicks have to be so difficult? :\

Pietepiet said:
God, why does something that should be as simple as a few clicks have to be so difficult? :\

This is what worries me about the game more than anything. Still, planning to go into open beta with an open/hopeful mind.

Ronok

I was going to avoid open beta and wait til release, but I couldn't help myself. So now I'm in Ul'dah, on Lindblum server. Is anyone online who can get me a linkpearl?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Cindres said:
Trying to login to the tester site to download the client just keeps sending me back to the "Beta test can only be access by those granted..." page. I registered the key on my account. So far this has been a bloody infuriating sign up ¬_¬
Original post in the thread has links to the client and all patches.

Ronok

Wtf? I'm talking to momodi the text she's meant to be saying seems to be missing from the game because every line or option is [en]. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom