• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

Something to consider: HP/MP difference between races for each class.

Short test made elsewhere:

Race: Lalafell
Clan: Dunesfolk Male
Class: Conjurer
Nameday: 13th Sun of the 4th Umbral Moon
Guardian: Rhalgr
HP: 293 (Level 1 Base)
MP: 336 (Level 1 Base)

Race: Elezen
Clan: Duskwight Female
Class: Conjurer
Nameday: 13th Sun of the 4th Umbral Moon
Guardian: Rhalgr
HP: 313 (Level 1 Base)
MP: 315 (Level 1 Base)

I had considered stats for character creation, but had overlooked HP/MP. I guess I'll be creating many different characters tonight.

Balya

Ronok said:
Wtf? I'm talking to momodi the text she's meant to be saying seems to be missing from the game because every line or option is [en]. :lol

Pretty sure she's just supposed to be telling you about the guildleve and retainer counters, that's what the "Getting Started" thing is in the other cities. So because I started in Ul'dah I had no idea where to set up my retainer until I selected that option in LL. :lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Another Castlevania Point of view :)

1283688834.jpg

Gromph

Staff Member
Khrno said:

I had considered stats for character creation, but had overlooked HP/MP. I guess I'll be creating many different characters tonight.

VIT increase HP.

Also, all downloads are in http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/downloads/

Ronok

I just turned of ambient occlusion for the first time and wow, it makes such a difference. It feels like a new game. I had a decent framerate before, but it's running smooth as can be now, it's like night and day. Even the menus are much more responsive.

I've also noticed that this weird shadow that covered half my screen before is now gone. This isn't something that ambient occlusion should do, so I'm assuming SE have messed up its implementation some how. :-/

I was wondering though, is anyone else having a problem in cut scenes where for a split second, character models will flash out of place before returning?

rSpooky

So, got the beta installed. On my pc there is no issue on y wifes which is actually a little better the whole thing runs choppy as shit. Windows mode/full screen/ high or low settings it makes no difference.

I tried downloading new drivers, etc no dice. I checked performance while running the game and still have 2 gig of ram left and it was using half the cpu (amd quad-3.0 Ghz) and she has a nvidia 9400gt card. should be all fine.

Anyone have ideas on what/where I could change something to make here machine run smooth as well. we want to try this out before we decide if we buy it and for what machine ( pc or ps3 or combo)

Salaadin

Whats the limit on the max number of leves you can do again? 8? Is that on a 48 hour timer too?

Im trying to get some level 10 leves done but it wont let me exchange any and Im assuming this is why.

Jinko

Khrno said:

HP and MP are directly tied to VIT and INT now so you only need to look at stats i believe, and for the most part they can be pretty easily leveled out on any class except perhaps the odd 2 points here and there.

Khrno

Jinko said:
HP and MP are directly tied to VIT and INT now so you only need to look at stats i believe, and for the most part they can be pretty easily leveled out on any class except perhaps the odd 2 points here and there.

I know they are tied to VIT and INT.

What I want to know is the starting HP/MP for all the races/classes.

From Beta site:

Addition of New Worlds (Sep. 5)

New worlds are now available in FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test.

Saronia

All Worlds Emergency Maintenance (Sep. 5)

On Sep. 5, 2010 from 15:00 to 17:00 (GMT), we will be performing emergency maintenance on all Worlds. During this maintenance period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

* The Beta Test Site will continue to be available during maintenance.

Starting now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So if anyone in the linkshell wants some crafting materials, just ask and if I got 'em you can have some for free. The Market is a fucking mess and I don't want to be bothered with it.

I might try crafting on my own later, but for now, meh.

All I ask is that if anyone can make some Marauder gear (especially a new axe. I'm tired of the newb axe), I'd be grateful and will compensate you as much as I can.

carlo6529

I got the "You killed you" bug twice now by forest funguar. It's messed up, your fighting and all of a sudden you drop dead with no dmg shown.

zlatko

Banned
Rentahamster said:
So if anyone in the linkshell wants some crafting materials, just ask and if I got 'em you can have some for free. The Market is a fucking mess and I don't want to be bothered with it.

I might try crafting on my own later, but for now, meh.

All I ask is that if anyone can make some Marauder gear (especially a new axe. I'm tired of the newb axe), I'd be grateful and will compensate you as much as I can.

There's really a big lack of gear in general, and I think it'd be odd to see people willing to start grinding the crafting classes in beta.

I think just to make a level 15 chainmail you have to get like level 5 armorer, but before that you need level 10 weaver to make one of the ingridients. I'll wait till launch myself before I start dipping time and energy into this process.

I really wish the beta would have had more access to gear from vendors just so we can get a taste.

Also, I found the way from Limsa to Ul'dah finally. I googled forever and checked forums, but couldn't find how. If you are in Limsa go to the ferry dock on lower level far west. Wait for it to show up, ride the ferry, and you will be in the far west outside of the area outside of Ul'dah. If you are in Ul'dah you need to go outside and go to the boat icon the farthest west of map.

So all you gladiators who started in Limsa and wanted a shield you can go to Ul'dah to get one from a NPC there. :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Has anyone done testing on this? What is the more efficient way to level up your job rank?

A: Hitting a higher level mob repeatedly for the weapon skill ups.

B: Killing numerous even level mobs repeatedly.

Is one better for physical level and one better for rank level, you think?

Londa

Banned
I did a virus scan of my computer and I found that a file on FFXIV is considered a virus. What should I do?

This is what comes up:
Microsoft Security Essentials encountered the following error: Error code 0x8007007f. The specified procedure could not be found.

Category: Virus

Description: This program is dangerous and replicates by infecting other files.

Recommendation: Remove this software immediately.

Microsoft Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the 'Allow' action and click 'Apply actions'. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the local administrator for help.

Items:
file:C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\data\8C\D3\00\2D.DAT

Any suggestions?

Teknoman

Whats the command for XIV ingame screenshots again? I keep using fraps but after seeing everyone elses screens with huds and text gone...i'm liking the clean screenshot look.

Ronok

Londa said:
I did a virus scan of my computer and I found that a file on FFXIV is considered a virus. What should I do?

This is what comes up:

Any suggestions?

I got a warning when I updated as well. I just ignored it assuming it's a false positive.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Thanks.

I'm kinda holding out hope that castle is more or less a giant dungeon, but its probably just another city right?

Its basically Jeuno 2.0 from what I can gather.

@ Khrno I know what you mean, I was just saying perhaps the difference in HP is due to the starting stat difference, maybe not tho.

It's only a 20 hp difference which could be 1 -2 Vit.

she has a nvidia 9400gt card. should be all fine.

I think a 9400 is quite a bit on the low side TBH.

gillty

Banned
Teknoman said:
Thanks.

I'm kinda holding out hope that castle is more or less a giant dungeon, but its probably just another city right?
Its supposed to be the city state of Ishgard but perhaps its now a dungeon.

Teknoman

Alright, S-E needs to comment on why the updater keeps stopping at the same percent and people have to download the patches by other means.

falastini

I need wind shards if anybody has some they can spare. I'm willing to trade/buy them from you. I've tried mining or just killing mobs, but I've barely gotten any. They're required for almost every recipe I need to craft. I even tried venturing in the markets for some, but you can guess how that turned out.

Also, is anybody a leatherworker? I'm trying to get a a better pug weapon. I'm thinking about leveling up leatherworks myself, but lacking the shards, obviously.

btw. I'm a goldsmith if you see something here you need made, let me know.

Soroc

Is anyone able to login or is playing on Lindblum?

I keep trying to log in and keep getting error code: 1015

I checked the realm status page and it looks like all the servers are up :(

EDIT: YESS!! Back in! :D

Ronok

Teknoman said:
Alright, S-E needs to comment on why the updater keeps stopping at the same percent and people have to download the patches by other means.

Yup, last update it was 94.8%, this time it's 94.6%..... Eventually I got it working last time by cancelling and restarting the download repeatedly, but that's not worked so far this time. It's really frustrating me.

Teknoman

After the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta version update that took place on Sep. 4, 2010 at 10:00 (PDT), we have confirmed an issue wherein the update process of the file “D2010.09.04.2000” would stop for an extended period at a certain percentage.

Our technical staff is currently in the process of investigating the issue. In the mean time, you may be able to avoid the issue by cancelling the update process. Once the update process is cancelled, proceed to start the process once again.
If your update process has not progressed for over 20 minutes, we ask that you please cancel the ongoing process by selecting “Cancel,” and restart the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta client.

I'm still having trouble logging into the beta test site, but I can read topics.

DrDogg

I've been trying to take screens but there's nothing in my screenshots folder. Am I doing something wrong? I figured it was pretty easy... lol

Also, where are the sheep in Limsa Lominsa? I made the trek over there yesterday and could not find any (although I didn't look very long).

More Issues/Concerns/Playing Habits:

Healing in Parties

SE definitely needs to work on the healing mechanic in the game. During my brief time in a party with Gaf yesterday I got no SP for casting cure (which is pretty much all I did), and targeting is ridiculous. If I don't have cure ready to go, I can just press up or down on the controller to target party members. But as soon as I select cure and get ready to cast, I can no longer cycle through party members with up/down so I have to search for them and it takes forever. Not to mention casting cure seems much longer compared to FFXI. I'm not seeing many last minute cures going on...

MP Consumption

I've noticed that the amount of MP I have is significantly higher than it would be for a character of equivalent level in FFXI. Couple this with the 10 minute ability the mages have and I don't think MP will be a huge concern. I'd still like to have other ways to restore MP though. At the very least it should slowly regen in passive mode. There's no reason I should continue to be out of MP after running around in the city for hours doing story quests.

Gear Repair

I need to repair my gear, but I can't because the item I need is not available (and the NPC won't repair fully). I went all the way to LL to find the base item I need to craft the real item, but the base item is 12,000g. For that much I may as well toss what I have and buy new gear. I'm not really digging that, or the whole armor degrading thing. It seems like an extra hassle that doesn't really add anything to the game.

Crafting

Another concern is that it seems you're almost forced to craft. I don't have an issue crafting, I actually enjoy it, but I'm worried that if everyone is crafting, far fewer people are buying crafted items. Why buy when you can craft it yourself or get it from a friend? Obviously not everyone will craft, but it seems there will be a lot more crafting in XIV compared to XI.

Salaadin

How do I tell what version of the client I have? I just updated remotely from my phone and want to be sure it worked right.

Ronok

I'm having a bit of trouble right now. For some reason I can't get the quest "some like it hot" to continue....

Talk to F'lhaminn for a cutscene
Head to the Gate of Nald for a cutscene

I talked to F'lhaminn... Now when I head to the Gate of Nald nothing happens. :(

can anyone please help me i've literally been downloading this game for 3 days and its finally finished. Then it loaded it all up. and i got as far as the login screen . put in my info and got booted/disconnected so i tried to load it back up again and now its trying to download everything all over again. what kind of hell am I trapped in?

DrDogg

Ronok said:
I'm having a bit of trouble right now. For some reason I can't get the quest "some like it hot" to continue....

I talked to F'lhaminn... Now when I head to the Gate of Nald nothing happens. :(

Head out the north gate until the map changes to the outside (as opposed to the city map), then stop and you should get a cut scene. At least that's what worked for me.

Ronok

beastmaster said:
can anyone please help me i've literally been downloading this game for 3 days and its finally finished. Then it loaded it all up. and i got as far as the login screen . put in my info and got booted/disconnected so i tried to load it back up again and now its trying to download everything all over again. what kind of hell am I trapped in?

Are you sure it's not just trying to download the latest update? One was released really recently.

DrDogg said:
Head out the north gate until the map changes to the outside (as opposed to the city map), then stop and you should get a cut scene. At least that's what worked for me.

In the end I just ran back and forth between the gate and far out into the field. Randomly one time on the way back it worked. This needs to be a little more consistent. lol

I've been wondering, has SE released any info on whether or not you will have to create a new character in order to complete the story from the different starting cities? :-/ Because of the opening cutscenes you have to be in a strange place when you start. I guess they could force you on a quest to put you in the right location though.....

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
None of the downloads in the OP work now? Apparently the files are no longer there :/

And i'm still unable to login to the beta tester site.

EDIT: Nevermind, fileplanet. Hopefully the launcher will work on my desktop.

EDIT 2: FUUUUU, Still getting the problem where it crashes straight away on the command prompt looking screen.

Ravidrath

DrDogg said:
MP Consumption

I've noticed that the amount of MP I have is significantly higher than it would be for a character of equivalent level in FFXI. Couple this with the 10 minute ability the mages have and I don't think MP will be a huge concern. I'd still like to have other ways to restore MP though. At the very least it should slowly regen in passive mode. There's no reason I should continue to be out of MP after running around in the city for hours doing story quests.

Crafting

Another concern is that it seems you're almost forced to craft. I don't have an issue crafting, I actually enjoy it, but I'm worried that if everyone is crafting, far fewer people are buying crafted items. Why buy when you can craft it yourself or get it from a friend? Obviously not everyone will craft, but it seems there will be a lot more crafting in XIV compared to XI.

I'm not there yet, but if you look at the abilities for Thaumaturge and Conjurer, you'll see the TP abilities Damnation and Radiance. These use 1000 TP to deal damage and restore MP, which seems pretty sweet. Other people on here have reported that MP stops being an issues when you get those. However, I do think that Rank 10 is probably a little late to get them... but for soloing, at least, I haven't had any problems with MP now that the timer on Tranquility is 10 minutes.

As for crafting, I don't think that'll be an issue, and a lot of it will come down to the fact that you simply won't be able to level all crafts and acquire Guildmarks for all of them simultaneously, given the limits imposed on Guildleves. I think most people will basically have time to focus on one, maybe two crafts without them being severely gimped compared to other players that are focusing on others.

gah, the torrent trick with the 2010.09.04 patch that I used yesterday won't work with this new 2010.09.05 file today. I patched it in there and the downloader just tries to download it anyway, which of course doesn't work because the download speeds on the downloader never get past 0.0b/s. Anybody figured out today's workaround?

Also, kudos to the guy who decided it'd be a good idea to put relaxing music in the patcher :lol

Ravidrath

theinfinityissue said:
gah, the torrent trick with the 2010.09.04 patch that I used yesterday won't work with this new 2010.09.05 file today. I patched it in there and the downloader just tries to download it anyway, which of course doesn't work because the download speeds on the downloader never get past 0.0b/s. Anybody figured out today's workaround?

Also, kudos to the guy who decided it'd be a good idea to put relaxing music in the patcher :lol

You sure you have DHT, Local Peer Discovery and Peer Exchange on? Until I turned those on, mine just sat at 0.0 kb/s, too.

Gromph

Staff Member
Cindres said:
None of the downloads in the OP work now? Apparently the files are no longer there :/

And i'm still unable to login to the beta tester site.

EDIT: Nevermind, fileplanet. Hopefully the launcher will work on my desktop.

EDIT 2: FUUUUU, Still getting the problem where it crashes straight away on the command prompt looking screen.

They are at http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/downloads/ With l/p at OP

Khrno

Londa said:
Any suggestions?

It's a false positive by that antivirus. Everyone with it usually picks it up. Avast, AVG, BitDefender haven't found anything wrong about it.

From Beta site:

At the following time, a new update for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version went live.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 5, 2010 at 17:00 (GMT)

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]
- An issue wherein a player may get pushed outside of the map from an enemy's attack has been addressed.

- An issue wherein the server would go down under a certain condition has been addressed.

- An issue wherein a player, using a gamepad, would not be able to select an option during the character creation has been addressed.

- Adjustments were made to the amount of enmity caused by certain spells and actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom