• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

From Beta site:

At the following time, a new update for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version went live.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 6, 2010 at 9:00 (GMT)

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]
- An issue where the game will forcefully shutdown in case multiple effects are being displayed by a mass number of characters has been addressed.

- An issue where the ripple effect is displayed improperly in case the character walks near the water has been addressed.

Awntawn

- An issue where the ripple effect is displayed improperly in case the character walks near the water has been addressed.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh good god. So now after i downloaded and installed the big 4gb patch. It went on to do the next ones which i also manually installed, and now it's telling me it's redownloading the H2010.08.30.2000 patch, though it speeds through it, gets to 99.7% and sticks there until it tells me it's timed out. But the full patch is there in the folder.

EDIT: Looks like i may just have to sit and let it attempt to finish it off. I guess it's just finalizing it being such a huge file. Others reported the same problem and just waited.

LaneDS

Going to be very curious to see what explanation, if any, S-E offers for that hardware cursor being a simple variable option. I'd also like to see them try to ban people for using it, because the uproar would be incredible.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I'm programming an app for release, so i can host every patch when SE release it.

:)

hteng

Banned
anyone able to download the D2010.09.06.2000 patch at all? i can't get anything, not even from my own BT applications

edit: nevermind

Khrno

From Beta site:

We were experiencing technical difficulties where players are unable to access FINAL FANTASY XIV, but we are happy to announce that these issues have been addressed.

However, a possibility of character data being broken due to the issues has been confirmed. To prevent any further damage, we have rolled the character data back to the data from Sep. 6, 2010 2:00 (GMT).

In case the character was created on affected worlds after the above hour, an error message will appear when you select the character on character selection menu. To address this issue, please delete the character and create again.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Affected Worlds]
- Cornelia
- Kashuan
- Gysahl
- Mysidia
- Istory
- Figaro
- Wutai
- Trabia
- Lindblum
- Besaid

[Date & Time]
Sep. 6, 2010 from 3:08 9:00 (GMT)

[Details]
Unable to access FINAL FANTASY XIV

sky

Have you guys found anything that dramatically improves performance?
I'm on a decent card (HD5870), and the game generally runs pretty well, but what's strange is that things like lowering resolution or turning many stats off or to "lowest" have had little to no effect.

The only 2 stats that made a significant difference were turning off depth of field, and physics.
With those two alone, my test scene went from 48fps to 57!

I hope SE includes more options, like draw distance, or number of characters on screen, etc.

Jinko

zlatko said:
Where did SE touch on this? Because there's def. confusion on this subject from a lot of people. Everyone I had run into beta kept saying 48hour cool down after you do 8 leves. First day when I did 8 and then logged back in next day it would not let me swap in same town. Maybe the cool down effects you trying to swap for same town leves in same categories ?

From what I can gather they reset every 2 days at Japanese midnight not ever 48 hours.

They deffinately need a reset timer so everyone is less confused, I'm guna go suggest one.

[Important Update Details]
- An issue where the game will forcefully shutdown in case multiple effects are being displayed by a mass number of characters has been addressed.

Oh well all is good then! :S as long as the water looks alright.

I hope SE includes more options, like draw distance, or number of characters on screen, etc.

Draw distance and other effects can be turned off through the in game configurations FWIW.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just got this working.

Does botanist do anything else besides chop trees?

Teknoman

Halycon said:
Just got this working.

Does botanist do anything else besides chop trees?

Eventually I think they learn skills that might be helpful with other classes. But yeah its mostly about gathering stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Teknoman said:
Eventually I think they learn skills that might be helpful with other classes. But yeah its mostly about gathering stuff.
I wouldn't mind it as much if there wasn't such a huge time lag in between notching and repeated chop attempts but holy shit, someone actually purposely made a system even more dull and boring than mining in EVE. At least in EVE you can go do something else while your hold fills up with ore.

Are the crafting professions similarly boring? I hope they have some extreme advantages in the way of armor (do they even need armor if they can't fight?) and money making capability.

Teknoman

I kinda like mining in this game. And yeah every job needs armor since they increase certain crafting/gathering skills.

EDIT: Updater actually updated just fine after timing out...fixed?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
FINALLY in. Cinder Resa (YEah fucking sucks i know, i hate having to do a full name on MMOs) on Lindblum - Ul'Dah.

Wow, and i have no fucking clue what's going on. I should read an intro guide.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Nice weather

wheather.png

Lumine

Hey guys, anyone know how long the open beta is going to be open and how long the registration for it will be open? I was a big fan of FF11 so I can't wait to try this, but I just won't have the time for it this week and probably not the next either. :(

Collector's Edition comes out on the 23rd, which is two and a half weeks from now. I'm guessing open beta will end a few days prior to that.

Cetra

Geez, playin' with a gamepad this morning made the game so much more fun. It's really quite shocking how much better it controls with a pad. The PC controls are just abysmal right now. Worse than FFXI even I'd say.

gillty

Banned
Lumine said:
Hey guys, anyone know how long the open beta is going to be open and how long the registration for it will be open? I was a big fan of FF11 so I can't wait to try this, but I just won't have the time for it this week and probably not the next either. :(
Collectors Edition launches on the 22nd, so likely you wont get to check it out.

notworksafe

Priorities clearly in order.

Also I tried making a character on another server (Figaro) yesterday and experienced less UI lag, so those that are really bothered by it perhaps should switch to a different server.

Jinko

I'm going to update this post with leather crafting recipes.

Buffalo LEather Spetch/Strap/Vamps
Buffalo Leather

Cotton Breeches
Sheepskin Leather
Sheep Leather Strap
Cotton Cloth x2
Yarn

Dodo Shoulder Guards
Dodo Leather
Dodo Leather Strap

Dodo Leather Spetch/Strap/Vamps
Dodo Leather

Dodo Leatherbound Swordguard
Dodo Leather
Mole Sinew Cord

Dodo Wrist Guard
Dodo Leather
Antelope Sinew Cord
Brass Buckle.

Mole Sinew Cord
Mole Sinew
Beeswax

Sheep Leather
Leve rank 1
Sheep Skin
Willow Chips

Sheep Leather Spetch/Strap/Vamps
Sheep Leather

Sheepskin Bracers
Leve rank 5
Sheep Leather
Sheep Leather Strap
Mole-Brown Hempen Cloth
Brass Buckle

Sheepskin Caligae (taupe) remove or change colours
Taupe Sheep Leather
Sheep Leather Strap (Taupe)
Sheep Skin Outsoles (Taupe)
Mole Sinew Cord
Copper Buckle
Iron Spikes

Sheepskin Duckbills (beige) remove or change colours
Brass Nails
Sheep Leather
Sheep Leather Strap
Mole Sinew Cord
Sheepskin Outsoles
Hempen Socks (beige)

Sheepskin Harness
sheep leather
taupe sheep leather
sheep leather strap(taupe)
copper buckle
mole sinew cord

Sheepskin Jerkin
Leve rank 10
Dodo Chest Guard
Dodo Leather Strap
Taupe Sheep Leather
Sheep Leather Spetch
Hempen Yarm
Undyed Hempen Cloth

Sheepskin Moccasins
Sheep Leather
Sheep Leather Spetch
Sheep Leather Strap (Grey)
Rubber Sole
Mole Sinew Cord
Brass Nails

Sheepskin Subligar
Leve rank 5
Sheep Leather
Lead Grey Hempen Cloth
Copper Buckle
Hempen Yarn

Sheepskin Workboots (Brown) remove or change colours
Brass Nails
Sheep Leather Strap (Grey)
Mole Sinew Cord
Rubber Sole
Sheepskin Vamps (Grey)
Hempen Socks (Brown)

Alex

To be fair I didn't like the keyboard controls in XI either. I just can't play like that.

I've no issue using the controller though, it was kind of an enjoyable departure for an MMO. I don't mind it here either. The way they're rigged up, I'd still go controller even if hardware mouse wasn't some risky hack.

gillty

Banned
Khrno said:
Indeed, but keyboard controls in FFXI were PERFECT. Fuck the mouse.
because it has to be one or the other, good forbid we have OPTIONS.

I agree they were good for what they were...

So basically what we ended up with this game was a control scheme that doesn't satisfy former XI players mostly because the arrow keys don't control the camera and a control scheme that doesn't satisfy PC gamers because the mouse is a horribly implemented software input lag mess.

Londa

Banned
Short Interview.

Q: Will people outside of the game be able to view the players' site pages from the game?

A: We have a beta version of the site right now. People are able to see the levels and names of the characters. We are trying to expand a little bit of that but we are not planning to have an equipment system like World of Warcraft. We don't have that detail information on the site but we will provide a blog system for each character so each character can have their own diary.

Also, we will have a forum system for the linkshells and you will be able to choose to have a open or closed forum system to show or hide it from the public.

Q: Do you have any plans to help people who played FFXI to reunite with players who will be stating FFXIV?

A: One of the things we will do is let players be able to put their character name and the name of their server so that players will be able to find their friends easier.

Q: What kind of plans do you have, other than the blogging, for the player site?

A: My plan was to have that system outside of our system so players and other big community sites can help us do it. We only provide basic information from our side and with the community site, we will get other parts. That's the plan.

Q: In FFXIV, do you plan on letting players give each other linkshell invites from anywhere in the world or will it remain the same that players have to be in front of each other?

A: That's interesting. We'll get back to you on that. That's a very good point and we may have to add that!

Q: Will the community site forums be a place for developers to answers questions or just for talking between players?

A: Mainly just talking with the community. The reason we don't have an official forum is that the developers only speak Japanese. They would only be able to speak to the players that knew Japanese and it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the players.

Q: In the game, will you be able to select different languages regardless of where you live?

A: Yes, you can choose whichever language you'd like. The game is one client with multiple languages and settings.

Q: Will there be a journal or something of the like in the game where you can save stories and cut scenes?

A: No, I don't think so.

Q: Is there anything else you can tell us about the community? Any interesting details?

A: We do have our beta forums open and most of the questions we get are about the interface. 'Will the interface be friendly for the mouse and keyboard?' is what what see the most. We've been trying to fix that and things are getting pretty good now. It's getting easier to handle it by the mouse and keyboard now.

We're really happy to have those forums. They're really helping us get good feedback to help us fix the game.

notworksafe

Valru said:
So basically what we ended up with this game was a control scheme that doesn't satisfy former XI players mostly because the arrow keys don't control the camera and a control scheme that doesn't satisfy PC gamers because the mouse is a horribly implemented software input lag mess.
But have you seen the water? It ripples perfectly when you walk by it! :lol

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:
But have you seen the water? It ripples perfectly when you walk by it! :lol
Have you seen the ocean? it still looks like solid plaster that and the ferry looks like it just stays in place.

PRIORITIES :lol

notworksafe

Q: In FFXIV, do you plan on letting players give each other linkshell invites from anywhere in the world or will it remain the same that players have to be in front of each other?

A: That's interesting. We'll get back to you on that. That's a very good point and we may have to add that!
Translation: No. Shut the fuck up and stop asking us this.

I finally decided to do a bit of shopping for a shield and test out their market system.

These player-based shops that they prefer over having centralized auction house? They have it here, in form of NPC you hire and then put in specialized "trade" area. Apparently they won't even allow you to put some text on that "retainer" about what may actually be sold by it.

So shopping for anything specific consists of checking hundred of slack-jawed NPCs standing around one by one, waiting few secs for each of them to download their precious list of 8 objects they carry, only to find out it's another couple of rat tails and piece of string.

I quickly logged out in horror. I don't think i've ever seen anything so clown-shoes.

notworksafe said:
Translation: No. Shut the fuck up and stop asking us this.

This is one of the major problems here. FFXI has been out for about 8 years now. And yet things as simple as improving the linkshell system "haven't been thought about" before. What have they been doing all this time? They should have been keeping everything in mind and thinking about how they can improve every aspect of the game for the next time around.

notworksafe

I'm getting a feeling like old EQ, to be honest. Square has thought of this stuff, but it's not in the plan. They keep giving the same BS Brad McQuaid style "Vision" shtick. There's a way that Square wants this MMO to go, and if you don't like it get out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom