• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

QisTopTier said:
is it just me or is this crafting system a bit bullshit? I've made 4 things out of 20 so far -.-

Crafting is great IMO, once you know how it works, I do think they should add some kind of way to tell how difficult a recipe is for your rank though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey I got an idea for taking on some higher level mobs. I tried to take on a fat dodo near the cedarbrook site with a party of 2 (lv 12 Maraunder, lv11 Thaumaturge) and died.

It usually cons red with horns to level 11 and 12, but I think with at least a couple more people we could make it work.

It was doing 250 dmg to my lvl 12 marauder, but I think a decent gladiator could tank okay with good shield use and phalanx. I got a lv 10 gladiator with both taunt and provoke, so that's an option. We just need some stoneskin and some debuffs.

We should also learn how to do battle regimens.

Jinko

Just completed my first level 20 leve in Camp Tranquil

1280 guild marks and a level 21 Canvas Dalmatica :D, soloed it on one star and was very easy.

Renta am up for that whenever you want to try it again.

I have figured out leve difficulty aswell, Bronze = easy, Silver = Hard.

ffxivgame20100907130633.jpg

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
hteng said:
how do you get guildpoints? i went to the guild and could not find anything (pugilist)

High level leves. 10-20-

Salaadin

I like your equips Jinko.
Armor is this game is awesome. If the NPCs in Coerthas are a sign of whats to come, we can all at least be VERY excited for what we will look at at higher levels.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there anyway to check which recipes you learn in game or is there something vital I'm missing about the craft system?

Halycon said:
Is there anyway to check which recipes you learn in game or is there something vital I'm missing about the craft system?
Yeah, you're missing that what recipes you learn in-game, you must remember on your own, possibly by writing it down :)

Haly

I wonder if they actually think this is a good ieda.

Zalasta

For those of you that do a lot of harvesting/fishing, can you confirm or deny whether you are getting a lot more shards related to your character's elemental affinity? I used to think what shards I get from mining is mostly related to the locations I am in, but recently I'm getting an awfully lopsided number of wind and lightning, which just so happen to be the two elements I've been dumping my points into.

DrDogg

Londa said:
If anyone is having problems learning to craft, I've found an explanation on what to select by the appearance of the orb you are crafting with.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/blog/235/entry-551-how-goldsmithing-and-other-doh-work/

I haven't tried this method yet. But I hope to try it tonight.

I was crafting most of yesterday and I don't think that's accurate. Using Rapid Synth all the time seems like the best bet for completing the craft, ignoring quality. The effects on the glowing ball seem determined by how well your crafting process goes and is a gradual increase. Going by this system you'd essentially do Bold 3-5 times, then Standard the rest of the way in most cases. I know that's not right...

In other news, when the retail version hits I'm pretty sure I'm going to be focusing on all crafting jobs (with an emphasis on Weaver/Leather/Goldsmith). So I will basically be the LS crafter. I'll still level CON and THM (more so during the 7 day head start when servers aren't quite as full), but if the issues with partying aren't worked out, I will be crafting a lot more than xping for the first month or so. In fact, I'll probably only xp from leves and when I need crystals to craft more.

That said, if there's no AH or some better way to sell things, I may not be playing much at all. I tried out the retainer system yesterday and other than being a make shift mog house, it's terrible. If this and a personal bazaar are the only way to sell things, SE is more retarded than I thought.

Kandinsky

Yeah im leveling Leather, Armorer and Alchemy atm and having more (a lot more) fun then with the "main" classes.

Edit: Im def going Leather on retail.

Thoraxes

This is what most of what i've come up with so far in regards to synthesis. Though I know there are other theories, most of them are relatively the same in most regards.

It's been tested up to level 10 crafts at least, but no further, so things may change down the line.

Capture-1.jpg

DrDogg

Thoraxes said:
This is what most of what i've come up with so far in regards to synthesis. Though I know there are other theories, most of them are relatively the same in most regards.

It's been tested up to level 10 crafts at least, but no further, so things may change down the line.

Capture-1.jpg

This sounds much more plausible. It's consistent with my findings as well. I'd write a guide for all of my findings, but I get paid for that... this is my leisure game. :lol

I plan on leveling all crafts (except maybe woodworking). Weaver will probably be my main, but you really need Leather to go with it (like in FFXI). So those two for sure. Goldsmith seems to have good money potential at the beginning and it's level 1 synth is a small profit without having to go out of town to gather anything. Cooking will be a good money maker, but not at first, so I plan to focus on that later on. Plus, I don't want to do fishing and you really need fishing for cooking me thinks...

Zomba13

I think that with crafting I'll do some local leves and bits on the days I don't have battle leves but I wont get really into crafting until there are guides out that explain in better detail how stuff works, what synths are good for ranking up (with store bought cheap mats or something)

I'll most likely take up Armoury leather crafting and smithing, but looking at all the different crafts you need to make some thing I think I'd need every leveled to make some things (like some weapons need a high leather craft to make some parts but blacksmith to put them together and some leather needs weaving for some bits)

Jinko

New patch up. 9.76 mbs.

Kandinsky can you upload that backup ffxivgame.exe cause my patch won't install :lol

I am guessing because of the mouse patch.

zlatko

Banned
Jinko said:
New patch up. 9.76 mbs.

Can someone post a .rar link please? :)

Edit: Oddly enough although the patcher was wonky it managed to get this downloaded on its own and installed. I hope that they add a patch for the patcher, because this thing cannot go out like this into retail.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
@ Dogg & Jinko: In that case you and the other crafters can just have all my crystals and crap. I ain't gonna use them otherwise. To get around the retainer and bazaar limitations, you could have other LS members put stuff in their bazaar for you and then give you the profits. We'd gotta make sure everyone's up and up on the honor system though.

Also - I bought a sheepskin harness and sheepskin subligar from a player yesterday and I've had about 5 tells asking me where I got it. If any of you can make those items, they will be very very popular and you could make a LOT of money. They show off my Mithra's sexy legs and rockin boobs. The defense is good too.

Jinko

So is anyone else having problems installing this patch..

I'm getting Error 20524

Ok fixed it, if you move the exsisting ffxivgame.exe to the desktop and then install the patch, move it back afterwards.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
So is anyone else having problems installing this patch..

I'm getting Error 20524
Actually yes, and no. This is the first time that the patch downloader actually went to 100% for me with no problems. On the other hand, when it triggered the UAC prompt and I pressed yes, it kept triggering the UAC over and over again, and I had to restart.

DrDogg

Rentahamster said:
@ Dogg & Jinko: In that case you and the other crafters can just have all my crystals and crap. I ain't gonna use them otherwise. To get around the retainer and bazaar limitations, you could have other LS members put stuff in their bazaar for you and then give you the profits. We'd gotta make sure everyone's up and up on the honor system though.

Also - I bought a sheepskin harness and sheepskin subligar from a player yesterday and I've had about 5 tells asking me where I got it. If any of you can make those items, they will be very very popular and you could make a LOT of money. They show off my Mithra's sexy legs and rockin boobs. The defense is good too.

I'll take any and all crystals/shards you have.

As for the sheepskin stuff. I can't find a recipe for the harness, but the materials for the subligar don't look too bad. Yellow Gremlin says it's a rank 1 synth, but I'm guessing that's wrong. I'll check it out tonight when I have time to get online.

Xilium

Zalasta said:
For those of you that do a lot of harvesting/fishing, can you confirm or deny whether you are getting a lot more shards related to your character's elemental affinity? I used to think what shards I get from mining is mostly related to the locations I am in, but recently I'm getting an awfully lopsided number of wind and lightning, which just so happen to be the two elements I've been dumping my points into.

Can't really say until I go to a different area (in Gridania atm) but I've been pumping a lot of my elemental stats into wind while occasionally raising lightning and earth. Nearly all the elements I get from gathering are one of those three (mostly wind) but I'm not sure if that is based on my affinity or the specific items being harvested.

In combat, it's all over the place.

Jinko

I'll be trying this one as soon as i get back on .

Sheepskin Jerkin
Leve rank 10
Dodo Chest Guard
Dodo Leather Strap
Taupe Sheep Leather
Sheep Leather Spetch
Hempen Yarm
Undyed Hempen Cloth

Cloth favours:- MRD ARC CON CRP TAN WVR BTN
Robes favours:- PGL ARC THM CON GLD WVR ALC
Leather favours:- MRD CRP TAN ALC MIN BTN FSH
Chain favours:- GLA ARC ARM GLD ALC BTN
Plate favours:- GLA MRD LNC BSM ARM

Kandinsky

Jinko said:
I'll be trying this one as soon as i get back on .

Sheepskin Jerkin
Leve rank 10
Dodo Chest Guard
Dodo Leather Strap
Taupe Sheep Leather
Sheep Leather Spetch
Hempen Yarm
Undyed Hempen Cloth
Missing Taupe sheep leather here.

Gopsje

Xilium said:
Can't really say until I go to a different area (in Gridania atm) but I've been pumping a lot of my elemental stats into wind while occasionally raising lightning and earth. Nearly all the elements I get from gathering are one of those three (mostly wind) but I'm not sure if that is based on my affinity or the specific items being harvested.

Same here but mostly put into earth and fire (thus getting fire and earth). Sadly using that in Uldah so that doesn't tell us much. Going to check it when server is back on in Gridania... maybe can give a definitive answer at that time.

In combat it all depends on the creature.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I saw a girl mage with all her clothes dyed pink.

Can you dye underwear? With the subligar and harness on, you can see my mithra's underwear. I think it would look good dyed pink.

Can anyone dye my underwear pink?

Gopsje said:
Same here but mostly put into earth and fire. Sadly using that in Uldah so that doesn't tell us much. Going to check it when server is back on in Gridania... maybe can give a definitive answer at that time
What happened last night? I thought you were on your way to get some crystals from me and then you were offline.

Xilium

About crafting, I've seen a lot of those theories and have tried crafting based on them but they all seemed off. I always thought the explanation was much simpler and this quote from the Eorzeapedia forums basically sums up how I thought the system worked.

Thegide said:
I can't bear to see this posted another time. This theory is bullshit. {This is in response to the same theory posted by Thoraxes} The game is not hand-holding you telling you which action you should use. There is no experimental evidence to suggest this theory has any weight whatsoever. Most of the beta board is foolishly superstitious.

You want the truth - here it is... and it's a very simple, logical system. This was posted on the beta boards long ago but most people glanced over it at the time.

White = stable
Yellow = less stable
Red = somewhat volatile
Flashing = volatile, about to destabilize.

Once your synthesis loses stability, the same heirarchy applies as you progress towards going chaotic and exploding.

The safety of synthesis commands follows this order:

Standard > Rapid > Bold.

That's it. That's all there is to it. All of the commands are safest when used on white, and most risky when flashing. If your skill is low for the recipe, and you use bold on flashing, you're likely going chaotic. No matter what the color, standard has the highest chance of success and is why that even on very difficult recipes, I resist the temptation to use Rapid until I'm guaranteed to fail otherwise.

Myths:
- using a specific command will allow you to stabilize
- bold has the highest success rate on [x] color
- sparks count failures
- Durability can increase

The only thing that will allow you to stabilize is delivering a successful command or going chaotic. Given that using bold while chaotic is downright asinine unless you're 10 levels above the cap for the recipe (usually is a sure fire path to chaotic), your best chance to stabilize is use standard.

Bold always has the lowest success rate, regardless of color. Chew through 200 low level synths and this is obvious.

Sparks don't count failures. You will never get sparks from using standard synthesis even if you fail every time. You will get sparks from using rapid too many times, and my belief is that rapid degrades your %chance of success for all commands. You will get sparks from using rapid, even if you don't fail a single command.

I have never seen or heard of anyone's durability ever increasing. By "critical success" what most people are probably referring to is the use of bold while flashing to get huge quality boosts, regardless of success or failure. This happens quite regularly and is fun to exploit when going for HQ synths.

Loaar wrote: said:
The wait command doesn't actually do anything to stabilise the element. You can wait 10 times in a row, but the stability wont change until you perform another action. Waits purpose is to allow you to not take an action in the hope that one of your craft skills becomes available in the menu. Essentially the wait command is useless prior to level 10 in a craft (see below).

Useless prior to level 10? Whaaaa?

The wait command's purpose is to allow your element to change color. For example, if your element is flashing, using wait *might* let it reach a more stable state (i.e. red, yellow, or white). I use wait routinely to avoid deliberately entering a command on flashing.

A side effect of wait is that a special command might pop up. But, this is not the main reason why people use wait.

Not definitive but it definitely seems more in line with XIV's other systems. Just doesn't seem like S-E would make it so easy as to tell you what action to perform based on the orbs color.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Can anyone dye my underwear pink?

If you get a pervy looking lalafell ask for your underpants don't look surprised.

In other news my beta won't start, crashes at character creation, can someone upload a working FFXIVgame.exe please.

Missing Taupe sheep leather here.

Doesn't need to be Taupe can be uncoloured or any colour.

Kandinsky

Jinko said:
Not really, not on every recipe, but since that one only has 1 sheep leather it probably works, when you have both uncolored and dyed leather it wont, like Sheepskin harness.

Haly

Xilium said:
Not definitive but it definitely seems more in line with XIV's other systems. Just doesn't seem like S-E would make it so easy as to tell you what action to perform based on the orbs color.
I saw that explanation first, I'm not sure which one is more valid so only testing will tell.

Still, it's not like SE's never put QTEs in their games. Which is what the color:method explanation would be analogous too.

Jinko

Kandinsky said:
Not really, not on every recipe, but since that one only has 1 sheep leather it probably works, when you have both uncolored and dyed leather it wont, like Sheepskin harness.

Oh right I haven't tried doing it with both types, I figured it was easier and cheaper to do all my recipes with uncoloured materials.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:
If you get a pervy looking lalafell ask for your underpants don't look surprised.

In other news my beta won't start, crashes at character creation, can someone upload a working FFXIVgame.exe please.

Servers are still under maint.

Xilium

Halycon said:
I saw that explanation first, I'm not sure which one is more valid so only testing will tell.

Still, it's not like SE's never put QTEs in their games. Which is what the color:method explanation would be analogous too.

Well one easy test will be to use standard (or bold) only during synthesis and see if sparks appear. I'll be trying that out here in a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom