• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

jiggle said:
whoa what happened to the beta
i lost all the rings and earrings i bought from like a day ago @.@

Was rolled back.

ffxivgame20100906215330.jpg

Any tips on making the game less crashy? It crashes all the time for me, but not for my friends, making it really annoying to party with me :) I tried turning down some of the graphics levels, didn't seem to help.

Awntawn

notworksafe said:
Translation: No. Shut the fuck up and stop asking us this.
I don't mind having to be next to people to give them pearls, but atm we have to be next to them to boot them too ^^;;

MANHUNT

Dreamwriter said:
Any tips on making the game less crashy? It crashes all the time for me, but not for my friends, making it really annoying to party with me :) I tried turning down some of the graphics levels, didn't seem to help.

Yeah it would be nice to have this fixed. Every now and then the game will crash in such a way where it just suddenly fades to a black screen and sticks my computer on that black screen infinitely so I have to do a force shutdown of my computer. Then when I come back my HUD is all messed up and I have to move stuff back into place every single time. Not cool.

Jinko

Gromph said:
I'm programming an app for release, so i can host every patch when SE release it.

:)

That would be great :)

Awntawn said:
I don't mind having to be next to people to give them pearls, but atm we have to be next to them to boot them too ^^;;

MANHUNT

Duno I wasted about 30 anima I reckon just giving people pearls, sorta becomes a full time job if you don't have many sack holders.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I'm doing Treasures of the Main in LL. How do I continue the quest once I'm done with the Musket and other cut scenes? The guy at the desks says come back when they're done with the investigation.

DrForester said:
So I'm doing Treasures of the Main in LL. How do I continue the quest once I'm done with the Musket and other cut scenes? The guy at the desks says come back when they're done with the investigation.

I think the next leg is doing something for the fishing guild. Did you check the NPC linkshell?

Did anyone start the culinary guild stuff? I'm not sure where to start for my leveQuest "Just Deserts". Do I start by buying my own ingredient and just make it or do I initiate it with an NPC to get started?

zlatko

Banned
DrForester said:

Check your journal it always tells you what the next step is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait wait wait.

You can change classes. By equipping different weapons?

Haly

Mind blown, suddenly my outrage at the Botanist's lack of combat abilities seems silly!

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:
Does anyone have a copy of the addon that was made on here for giving the game maximized windowed mode?
Valru said:
Borderless Window Utility

I've created an extremely simple script with AutoHotKey that will give FFXIV a borderless window. Borderless Windows are extremely popular for people with multi-monitor setups, and those who want to quickly switch between windows in games like TF2.

What it does:
Gives you that look of being full-screen mode while being in windowed mode
Unfortunately because you are in windowed mode you will see the usual fps hit compared to full-screen mode

How to use:
1)Set FFXIV to Windowed Mode in the config
2)Run the exe of your choice depending on resolution, you should see a H icon in the traybar
3)Launch FFXIV, and once ingame hit CTRL+ALT+F to go to borderless window mode

I've included 5 exes for five common widescreen resolutions: 1280x720, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080 & 1920x1200

I have also included the script & the autohotkey installer for you to edit if you need a different resolution.

Code:
!^f::
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A
WinMove, A, , 0, 0, 1680, 1050
;WinActivate, A
return

Download 2.9mb
http://www.mediafire.com/?rkd3gylv7fb2u5o
http://usershare.net/lhlcqmee8n2w
:D

OK, so I finally got a key and started downloading the game through the client last night.

It seems to have stalled on the H2010.08.30.2000 file at 90%. How exactly do I know which files to download in the OP to get around this?

A little help would be much appreciated, I'm kinda clueless. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Any way to further decrease gfx options other than the standard ones? My laptop is on FIRE when I play this even tho everything runs OK

sublime085 said:
OK, so I finally got a key and started downloading the game through the client last night.

It seems to have stalled on the H2010.08.30.2000 file at 90%. How exactly do I know which files to download in the OP to get around this?

A little help would be much appreciated, I'm kinda clueless. :lol
Look at the filename, tho watch out because two of them have the same filename but they should be in different folders.

Alex

So do you basically need to rock every single craft just to repair once the equipment variety rolls in? I'm learning a lot of new stuff and the more I learn the less it makes me want to even early adopt.

Close friend of mine, who has played every MMO under the sun with me over the years since about DAoC/FFXi was really enjoying the game until about the 10-15 period (I think he's 15 now, I've ceased playing beta since I wanted to hold off until retail).

I'm hearing a lot of things that are troubling me, specifically time sinks being splattered everywhere, completely broken stats, giant gulfs of oddness between crafting and fighting jobs and the most ridiculous economy issues I've heard in ages.

I was willing to put up with the sluggishness, simple launch issues, and the content problems but now I'm worried I'm just dropping another 50 on another AoC. =/ Actually this sounds way less together than AoC at this point... ugh....

Zakkath

Halycon said:
The game doesn't tell me shit!

The game manual does though. It's in the OP. But yeah, I know the game isn't intuitive at all. I don't really like it much.

I got question as well. I made a Disciple of War to make weapons (or am I wrong about that ?), but I still have no idea how to craft some. Do I need to find the Blacksmith guild or something ?

gillty

Banned
Disciples of War are combat classes.
Disciples of Magic are casting combat classes.
Disciples of the Hand are crafting classes.
Disciples of the Land are gathering classes.

Jinko

Alex said:
So do you basically need to rock every single craft just to repair once the equipment variety rolls in? I'm learning a lot of new stuff and the more I learn the less it makes me want to even early adopt.

Close friend of mine, who has played every MMO under the sun with me over the years since about DAoC/FFXi was really enjoying the game until about the 10-15 period (I think he's 15 now, I've ceased playing beta since I wanted to hold off until retail).

I'm hearing a lot of things that are troubling me, specifically time sinks being splattered everywhere, completely broken stats, giant gulfs of oddness between crafting and fighting jobs and the most ridiculous economy issues I've heard in ages.

I was willing to put up with the sluggishness, simple launch issues, and the content problems but now I'm worried I'm just dropping another 50 on another AoC. =/ Actually this sounds way less together than AoC at this point... ugh....

I think most of us are having similar feelings TBH, I'll be getting the game either way, but I can't say I'm completely happy about what I'm guna be buying lol.

The first 3-4 months are going to be harsh thats for sure.

Kuraine

Neo Member
So I still can't play the open beta due to being disconnected from an error every single time I try to do anything that communicates with the server.

This never happened during closed beta. None of the patches so far in OB have fixed it.

I'm really confused, and fairly frustrated that I can't seem to get this to work.

Zakkath

Valru said:
Disciples of War are combat classes.
Disciples of Magic are casting combat classes.
Disciples of the Hand are crafting classes.
Disciples of the Land are gathering classes.

Yet, I found out how to smith some items. Granted, it's probably not the optimal discipline for crafting, I was just trying to figure out how it works. I had to find a shop selling blacksmith tools and I was set. I've even completed 2 quests.

It seems like things get very quite once you hit 10-11. I did all the leves for Black Brush and Drybone and I now have nothing to do, but grinding. Meh. I really hope they left out a lot of content for the beta or else this game will be very boring for those who buy it.

Xilium

Zakkath said:
Yet, I found out how to smith some items. Granted, it's probably not the optimal discipline for crafting, I was just trying to figure out how it works. I had to find a shop selling blacksmith tools and I was set. I've even completed 2 quests.

Your class changes based on your main hand equipment. Choosing a starting class at the beginning really only serves the purpose of providing you with equipment suitable for that class but you can buy the equipment for any class and play them all.

So how do I obtain the crystals I need for crafting? For example I need Wind for entry level Goldsmithing, but fighting around Ul'dah usually only provides fire and earth.

Can someone explain to me how to equip a goddamn skill? Got rank 2 on Gladiator and learned one, but when I go into the skill menu and click on it, it gives me the option to "Equip to main hand" or "Equip to offhand" and neither actually put it into my action bar.

Also, I cannot for the life of me understand why something this simple is so hard to comprehend in the game.

Haly

KefkaTaran said:
Can someone explain to me how to equip a goddamn skill? Got rank 2 on Gladiator and learned one, but when I go into the skill menu and click on it, it gives me the option to "Equip to main hand" or "Equip to offhand" and neither actually put it into my action bar.

Also, I cannot for the life of me understand why something this simple is so hard to comprehend in the game.
Click an empty slot and then click a skill and click equip in mainhand. There's a bit of lag so wait for it, but it's not that long. Keep trying if it doesn't work.

Halycon said:
Click an empty slot and then click a skill and click equip in mainhand. There's a bit of lag so wait for it, but it's not that long. Keep trying if it doesn't work.

Did all that. Wasn't working. Then my game crashed, I re-logged on, and then did it again, and THEN it worked (after some lag). :|

Edit: Question the second: Any idea where to buy a fishing rod in Gridania?

Edit the second: Found! FISHING TIME

Haly

KefkaTaran said:
Did all that. Wasn't working. Then my game crashed, I re-logged on, and then did it again, and THEN it worked (after some lag). :|

Edit: Question the second: Any idea where to buy a fishing rod in Gridania?
I think the fishing stall is in the market area, on the right side of the city.

Soroc

KefkaTaran said:

Make sure you are in passive mode (weapon holstered) otherwise you won't be able to add or remove any skills. Its the same for equipment. Found this out the hard way :D

Alex said:
The point is you don't learn every craft, you make deals with people who have mastered other crafts.

Alex said:
It *is* a beta, one that's getting patched with new updates every single day so far.

Dreamwriter said:
Fixed it, no more crashes! Turns out I had a very stupid Windows issue.

I'm using an XBox 360 controller (with the official receiver), and once in a while Windows would pop up a message telling me to download the driver for the Xbox 360 headset. I always told it no, because I don't use the Xbox 360 headset. Turns out that message popup crashes FFXIV, and it decided to keep popping up, rather than only when I first plug in the controller. I finally agreed to get the driver, and no more crashes.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, to those SoDers who care, Jae and I will be getting this at launch. No clue what she'll be crafting, but I'll be going back to fishing and cooking for my crafts. So...will make food for equipment. As for jobs? I don't know. Whatever it needed to xp. I can't get a feel for a main. Will be rolling Galka. Will be your lord and master.

gillty

Banned
Kintaro said:
Well, to those SoDers who care, Jae and I will be getting this at launch. No clue what she'll be crafting, but I'll be going back to fishing and cooking for my crafts. So...will make food for equipment. As for jobs? I don't know. Whatever it needed to xp. I can't get a feel for a main. Will be rolling Galka. Will be your lord and master.
Start with a gathering job like Botany, not only will you rake in gil with crystals and materials, you'll also gain physical level very fast and therefore have really high attributes when you decide on a combat job to rank up.

Teknoman

You guys should check out Tutorial Leves.

Theres at least 1 for every type of class...not sure what else they teach or how they teach, but i'm guessing they are similar to My first adventure guildleve. Give em a shot and see how well they work.

I'm guessing most people passed up that option in favor of the other leves.

Kintaro I can never find you when you're online to get you a pearl.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Valru said:
Start with a gathering job like Botany, not only will you rake in gil with crystals and materials, you'll also gain physical level very fast and therefore have really high attributes when you decide on a combat job to rank up.

Interesting thought.

Teknoman said:
Kintaro I can never find you when you're online to get you a pearl.

Its no big. I may end up winding down my play so I don't overplay before launch.

hteng

Banned
can i get a pearl too?

Server: Linblum
Name: Danorille Pandy

currently around Limsa, will go online around 8pm - 12pm Japan Time

Soroc said:
Make sure you are in passive mode (weapon holstered) otherwise you won't be able to add or remove any skills. Its the same for equipment. Found this out the hard way :D

I think that was the exact problem. Thanks for figuring it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom