• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Ronok said:
Tons of mobs around ul'dah... It wasn't always like this right?

Also is anyone online to give me a linkpearl?

CHeck in a few hours. There were always mobs there its just that they were always dead. See if theres still plenty once everyone else gets logged in and settled.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder what the WoW forums would look like if Blizzard did fucked up this badly with the Cataclysm client.

Salaadin

I wonder sometimes, is this game being tested by SEs on actual home computers? Are they not crashing themselves? Are they locking up at 99.6% when they try to update?
Wouldnt it be funny if we found out that SE was using Gromphs site for downloading their own updates?

Khrno

From Beta site:

At the following time, a new update for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version went live.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 7, 2010 at 19:00 (GMT)

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test

[Important Update Details]
- An issue which prevented players from completing the levequest “Yarz on me” has been addressed.

- An issue that may prevent animations from displaying properly upon increases in class rank / physical level has been addressed.

- An issue which prevented players from changing their equipment after being attacked while synthesizing or gathering has been addressed.

- An issue which caused the text in the chat logs to move up and down has been addressed.

- The cost of certain items sold by NPCs have been adjusted.

- The stats for the bone ring have been adjusted.

- Adjusted the value in which a player would receive the status "second-hand" due to equipment deterioration.

- The amount of durability restored by the NPCs have been increased.

- The display range for the following type of messages have been adjusted.
→ Obtaining experience points and skill points: Only visible to yourself.
→ Obtaining loot: Only visible to you and your party members.

Salaadin

Chat log fixes are nice too. I hated seeing other peoples XP gains and loot too. I almost never see /tells when Im out in the wild because of all the log spam.

If theres one thing they need to directly copy from FFXI is that actual chat log itself with all the sorting/maximizing/minimizing. It was perfect in XI.

Salaadin said:
Chat log fixes are nice too. I hated seeing other peoples XP gains and loot too. I almost never see /tells when Im out in the wild because of all the log spam.

If theres one thing they need to directly copy from FFXI is that actual chat log itself with all the sorting/maximizing/minimizing. It was perfect in XI.

Yes please. Let me hit + and enter to maximize the chat log. Also while they're at it, let me hit + twice to select my status icons and see info about them like in ffxi. These are basic things that they have no reason to omit. :/

Salaadin

Ronok said:
.....That was an unexpected victory. me 1-0 yarzon feeder. :)
What did he con? I saw a green one that I expected to die to and ended up victorious. I was pleased.
Later that day, I saw a green Opo and tried the same thing. I was pounded dead in seconds :(

DrDogg

HappyBivouac said:
Yes please. Let me hit + and enter to maximize the chat log. Also while they're at it, let me hit + twice to select my status icons and see info about them like in ffxi. These are basic things that they have no reason to omit. :/

You can see info about the status icons. It allowed me to set the command to my controller. Not sure what the keyboard command is. Or are you referring to something other than the icons at the top of the screen?

Xilium said:
About crafting, I've seen a lot of those theories and have tried crafting based on them but they all seemed off. I always thought the explanation was much simpler and this quote from the Eorzeapedia forums basically sums up how I thought the system worked.

Not definitive but it definitely seems more in line with XIV's other systems. Just doesn't seem like S-E would make it so easy as to tell you what action to perform based on the orbs color.

I don't think that explanation is accurate. Originally I thought standard synth was the best option to complete the craft safely. However, after hearing you should spam rapid to complete, I get A LOT more completions. If standard was the "safest" synth option, it wouldn't be that way.

I can confirm the following about crafting (sub rank 10):
- Bold increases quality and decreases durability the most, but increases your progress the least
- Rapid increases quality and decreases durability the least, but increases your progress the most
- Standard seems to be the even ground between bold and rapid
- Wait can bring a crystal from unstable back to stable, but it's not a guarantee

Also... anyone know how to repair undergarments? It seems you can only repair items you're not currently wearing (unless the NPC does it), but you can't remove undergarments (at least I can't figure out how). All of my undergarments reached zero yesterday and the only way I could repair them was via NPC which was only 50% at the time. 75% is better, but I want to do it myself for 100%.

Zomba13

Kuro268 said:
Some nice stuff in this patch.

NPCs now repair to 75% :D
Yesssssssssss!

Biggest problem with NPC repair was it only went to 50% so you'd still see the yellow 'warning' icon.

Ronok

Salaadin said:
What did he con? I saw a green one that I expected to die to and ended up victorious. I was pleased.
Later that day, I saw a green Opo and tried the same thing. I was pounded dead in seconds :(

It was red. :lol That's why it was unexpected... I tried again just now and got raped though, so clearly some luck was involved. :p

careksims

Damn... I finished all my projects and I'm like "okay! Let's do some leves!"

.... disconnect....

Oh I thought it was my net acting up, but nooooo it's their servers clonking out once again... Buy more servers! Do something before I buy this!

Kuro268

Neo Member
I think they have 7 more unannounced servers to go since Fabul was recently opened.

Not Yet Announced Servers from Player's Site:
Fabul
Karnak
Narshe
Midgar
Balamb
Alexandria
Kilika
Nashamau
Balfonheim

Edit: Also a very nice database someone on BG found: http://ffxiv.yg.com/items?c=1.1

DrDogg

careksims said:
Damn... I finished all my projects and I'm like "okay! Let's do some leves!"

.... disconnect....

Oh I thought it was my net acting up, but nooooo it's their servers clonking out once again... Buy more servers! Do something before I buy this!

I really don't foresee this being a problem at retail. Granted, I don't expect the game to be in prime condition, but I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the fact that this is a beta. SE can do whatever testing, adjustments, character roll backs and whatever else they want for the next two weeks. They can, and they will.

They'll do whatever testing and allow however many server crashes they want while the beta is still going on because it's a beta and that's "allowed". Come 9/22, one crash and a lot of people (especially beta testers) will not be so lenient and SE knows this. So I expect things to remain unstable until retail, but I don't think we'll see any crashes past 9/22... or at least nothing more than a super rare crash and the normal maintenance that goes on with all MMOs.

Salaadin

Theres a post on the beta forums about the crashes. My sister linked me to it because she gets a lot of them. Im going to test it next time I play but I dont think it holds a ton of merit but it might be worth posting in case you guys are experiencing a lot of crashes as well:

OK so i had been reading and wondering why some people are crashing alot and others not at all. I had gotten multiple test rigs for this experiment (i know alot of people with gaming rigs low to high end) and tried to force the game to crash on each pc.

Rig 1

890fxe motherboard
Ati5870 2gb
Amd 1090T X6
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
On my personal rig my game never crashed. I ran and ran the game and had no luck crashing the game at all. Until i adjusted the fan control on my graphic card. When i had the fan turned onto Auto with only CCC running, once the card hit 70oC (which it did in roughly 30minutes) the game would get either Display adapter stopped working error or a Direct X can not be detected error. Changing the cooling curve on the fan so it never goes near or above 70 fixed the issue completely.

Rig 2

Intel i7 930
Nvidia GTX480
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

ON the second rig the game crashed quite often, so after observing the problem with the ATi card i tried to adjust the fan control. The Nvidia cards seem to have a little better tolerance and wont start crashing till after 75oC. However, Heat still caused similar errors but after adjusting and keeping the fan at maximum the game never crashed on this set up.

Third Rig

Alienware Laptop
Core I7 920M
Ati 5870M
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition
Ok since laptop gpu's dont have the best cooling i was really worried if the laptop could take it. However, heat did not seem to be an issue at all. Game play was still smooth and functioned really well. However, i would get unexplained direct X Crashes even with the laptop at low temperatures. Well folks guess what the Windows action center notification icon was causing the problem. Whenever the action center had something to report, the game would crash almost like it was forcing alt-tabing. Disabling all functions of the action center allowed the game to be running for hours on end with no problems.

Rig 4

Amd 790GX
AMd 955 X4
Ati 5770
Windows XP

This computer though under powered compared to the first 3 ran the game quite well, but once again heat played an issue, this card was at threshold of 72oc and once the fan curve was adjusted i had no problems what so ever.

Rig 5

Intel Core 2 Quad
Nvidia GTX 285
Windows 7 basic

The problems with this rig were identical to the laptops, The game kept crashing because of the windows action center, On this card however, heat never seemed to be an issue

After testing these 5 rigs i think further testing seemed to be pointless. The two causes i have found that crash this game are heat and the windows action center in windows 7(and possibly vista too) Now i dont know why the game crashes on certain cards at relatively ok heat levels, but this definitely does tax any card way more than Crysis, battlefield, dirt 2 ect.. so comparing is almost out of the question.

I dont think my temps have ever passed 70C. The highest I saw was 65 and that was with a weather effect, near a camp in gridania. I hear the Dark weather effect really heats up GPUs though.
I crash but not nearly as bad as some others on here. At most, I think Ive crashed 4-5 times since OP started.

Haly

This stupid gathering system is growing on me.

Kuro268

Neo Member
I heard a rumor that the game is crashing due to memory leaks. Seems like anytime it goes over 2GB its force closes. This wasn't happening in Beta 2.

Jinko

I want this hat !!

1283907725.jpg

Haly

What drops wind and where can I find it? I recently started trying out synthesis and was kind of surprised to find like, 154 earth but only 9 wind.

DrDogg

Halycon said:
What drops wind and where can I find it? I recently started trying out synthesis and was kind of surprised to find like, 154 earth but only 9 wind.

Head over to Limsa Laminsa.

Haly

DrDogg said:
Head over to Limsa Laminsa.
Where is the boat again? Northeast of Ul'dah?

Is having lots of raw mats and not enough shards to do anything with them normal?

Awntawn

If anyone's doing any Camp Horizon leves (level 20+) involving cactaurs, please sell me any Red Ocre Scale Bugs you get off of them 3;

Also looking for Linseed Oil if anyone can make it D;

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Son of a fucking BITCH I'm tired of failing leves because this game fucking crashes all the time! =(

Zomba13

Kuro268 said:
I think they have 7 more unannounced servers to go since Fabul was recently opened.

Not Yet Announced Servers from Player's Site:
Fabul
Karnak
Narshe
Midgar
Balamb
Alexandria
Kilika
Nashamau
Balfonheim

Edit: Also a very nice database someone on BG found: http://ffxiv.yg.com/items?c=1.1
You know what? Fuck Lindblum! Let's move to Alexandria at release! Pretty please? My FFXI server was Alexander. Plus Alexandria is the better FFIX city.

I mean that is if people don't like Lindblum (to be completely honest I'm fine with whatever)

Rengoku said:
One of the npcs in Gridania sells a jester style hat, but its like 160k >.<;
I know what I'm spending my gil on when my next lot of leves are finished :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
20qf8me.jpg

Fix your fucking shit SE! Crached on the last boss of a leve AGAIN! Jobbed me out of another piece of equipment! BAH!

I think I may be done for the beta.

jsrv

Teknoman said:
I guess it all depends on whether we all want to keep our names.

we could always just use another character slot in open beta and just make a character in those servers

DrDogg

I rarely crash, but it just now crashed on me. Is the game down or is it just me? I'm going to try again in a minute here.

Thanks again for all of the materials Renta!

EDIT: Let's me log in my other character so it must just be lagging my main character out. I'll wait a bit longer.

zlatko

Banned
So I figured I'd ask this question in here because it has me a bit worried.

I just recently got the PC gaming rig I'm using for this game and I don't have a monitor so I use my HDTV with a HDMI cable for the game. I love it, but I'm wondering if this game might be causing my TV damage or if I might just be running something in the config that should be changed to prevent what's occuring.

The issues are these:
1) I get these lines going left to right on my screen that are about half an inch thick and look like blurry water almost. It runs all the way left to right on my TV. They are only visible after running for maybe 5+ seconds. It's only 1 of these lines at a time. Generally it's at the top half, then middle, then bottom half, then bottom. Almost as if it's some issue with maybe the screen refreshing? It didn't even jump out at me at all, but now that I've noticed it it's really damn annoying and I'm sorta of fretful it might cause harm to the TV.

2) I was on about a solid 10 hours today, and at the end on the right edges of the screen I noticed like a bit of almost black acid effect when the screen was on darker colors. I want to say 1/4th of an inch like a coffee spill start at top right to the bottom right. I'm guessing this will go away when I wake up as it might be image burning, but is there anything to prevent this or was it that I just was on too much today and that could have caused it ?

I should point out these errors don't ever occur if I'm just using the computer for anything else or playing something like Starcraft 2 on max settings. I think it might be the fact I didn't change the AA settings at all and left them to whatever the beta starts it off at. I have depth of field and ambient off, but everything else is on highest settings. What's tab should I set the AA option for with a ATI 5870? 2xAA 4xAA 8xAA ?

Thanks for the help to whoever reads that semi wall of text, but I figured I'd describe the problems in their fullest. :)

zlatko said:
1) I get these lines going left to right on my screen that are about half an inch thick and look like blurry water almost. It runs all the way left to right on my TV. They are only visible after running for maybe 5+ seconds. It's only 1 of these lines at a time. Generally it's at the top half, then middle, then bottom half, then bottom. Almost as if it's some issue with maybe the screen refreshing? It didn't even jump out at me at all, but now that I've noticed it it's really damn annoying and I'm sorta of fretful it might cause harm to the TV.

I get this, or something smilar to this, occasionally in cutscenes. I think it's screen tearing of sorts.

Not sure about the other issue. Maybe it's black crush?

I don't think there's anything to worry about regarding damaging your set. I use a TV for my display, and haven't noticed any problems since playing FF XIV.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy shit I bought a bunch of sheepskin harnesses for 10K gil, and put them in my bazaar for 80K.

Somebody bought one already.

In the name of science, Rentahamster, DrDogg, and I spent a few lazy hours running around Thanalan killing every dodo we could find.

Our scientific experiment yielded the following data:

(1) There is no penalty to XP or SP for having a high level character stand there and tank all the damage while low level characters plink a mob to death.

(2) XP is distributed uniformly to party members based on their level regardless of whether they actually participated in the fight or not by doing damage, healing party members, or buffing/debuffing. If they were around the fight when it happened, they get XP.

(3) SP is distributed to party members based on a currently unknown algorithm which counts damage dealt per member. The highest damage dealer gets the most SP. (Everyone roll a gladiator at launch!!) The more members which deal damage to the enemy, the lower the total reward gets. Members which deal no damage to the enemy receive no SP reward. Healers can now commence raging at SE. :lol

(4) SP rewards drop significantly from highest damage dealer to lowest. Often times, the guy who dealt 60-75% of the damage got some SP, the guy who dealt 25-40% of the damage got zero.

In conclusion: The system for distributing XP and SP in this game is really fucked up and poorly thought out. If you plan to be a healer in this game, prepare to spend time leveling your mage job on your own because healing won't give you anything to level your job. SE really are trolling what few healers there are already if FFXI is any indication. If you actually play a healer, people will offer you disgusting sexual favors to join their parties because leveling a healer is going to be pure agony. :lol

Ronok

What is the optimal rank on equipment for? I seem to be able to equip well below that and if it scales the equipments stats it's not displayed.... :-/

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Zomba13 said:
You know what? Fuck Lindblum! Let's move to Alexandria at release! Pretty please? My FFXI server was Alexander. Plus Alexandria is the better FFIX city.
Heh, thought I was the only one on GAF who played on Alexander...

Rentahamster said:
Holy shit I bought a bunch of sheepskin harnesses for 10K gil, and put them in my bazaar for 80K.

Somebody bought one already.
Did you get those from "Alulu"? Saw them the other night and should have bought one, but there's a rank 10 leve in Grid that gives you that item. Now if only I could get that one to show up.

In other news, I hate the market ward system with a passion now. It's a timesink in itself, amazing.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
We should make a Server selection for release this week.

I'm not going /v/ and reddit community, also i'm avoiding spanish community too.

Khrno

Ronok said:
What is the optimal rank on equipment for? I seem to be able to equip well below that and if it scales the equipments stats it's not displayed.... :-/

You won't get the full effect (all the stats and bonus) from a piece that is too high from your rank.

Say you have a very nice rank 20 piece with lots of stats on them, while you are rank 12, try equipping it and see your stats change, you'll just get a little bit of defense but won't get most of the other stats like hp+ or str+.

So always check the stats on the piece, and see the stats that are being improved upon equipping, because it should be better to equip a piece closer to your rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom