• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Oh for all who is interested.

You guys consumed 81TB of bandwidth in 8 days.

Top as:

SquareEnix.rar with 18835 downloads.

Gromph

Staff Member
Info about patcher.

Solutions on Issues that Occur During the Version Update
We would like to take this moment to provide solutions on the issues that could occur during the version update.

- Progress bar stops at certain point during the version update There is a possibility where version update data download have failed. If there is no change on progress bar for more than 20 minutes, please shut down FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version and restart the game.

- Version update progresses slowly/Time out occurs during the version update If the number of remote connections remains to be 0, there is a possibility where UPnP settings are not correct. By adjusting UPnP settings, version update may progress faster. Please refer to the following and make adjustments.

Windows XP:
1. From the Control Panel, select “Network Connections” -> from the toolbar, select “Advanced” -> then select “Optional Networking Components…”
2. Select “Network Services” -> choose “Details.”
3. Check the “UPnP User Interface” box and select OK.

Windows Vista:
1. From the Control Panel, select “View network status and tasks” -> in the “Sharing and Discovery” box change the “Network Discovery” setting to “Turn on network discovery” and select “Apply”.
2. From the Control Panel, select “Additional Options” -> then choose “Security” from the left tab. Select “Allow a program through Windows Firewall”
3. Select the “Exceptions” tab, and in the “Program or port” box, check the “Network Discovery” box. Finally, select “Apply” and then “OK.”

Windows 7:
UPnP is enabled under Windows 7 default settings. Unless you have previously changed these settings, no setup is required.

*Instructions on adjusting UPnP settings is explained along with screenshots are available at the following page on FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Site.
https://dev-eu.ffxiv.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6296

Above instructions are for setting adjustments on Windows. In case you are using network router, you may also need to adjust the UPnP settings on network router as well. If the version update does not progress properly even after you make an adjustment on Windows, please review the settings on network router.

sky

Wow... the hardware mouse hack is 1000% better. SE needs this.

Gromph said:

Top as:

Thanks! It definitely had me playing much earlier :D ...

Ronok

- Progress bar stops at certain point during the version update There is a possibility where version update data download have failed. If there is no change on progress bar for more than 20 minutes, please shut down FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version and restart the game.

It's hilarious that they think a solution is to sit around for 20 mins while there updater isn't working and then restart the launcher and hope it works the next time.... I've found that restarting the launcher really doesn't work when this happens as well.

Has anyone here crafted a lot? I went on and made a new character yesterday and was confused to all hell about the system. I ruined all 3 synths of the opening quest and I guess I have to wait 48 hours before doing it again? Any guidance is appreciated @.@

datamage

Hrm, for those using the mouse-fix, what are the odds of SE banning your account since you are technically using a modified executable?

Jbird34

datamage said:
Hrm, for those using the mouse-fix, what are the odds of SE banning your account since you are technically using a modified executable?

Don't start that shit, they aren't going to ban anyone for Hardware Mouse just like they didn't ban anyone for using the windower in XI.

datamage

Jbird34 said:
Don't start that shit, they aren't going to ban anyone for Hardware Mouse just like they didn't ban anyone for using the windower in XI.

Not starting any shit, I was curious to know. When I first played XI there was no windower hack, so I'm not familiar with these methods and if there is a risk for using them.

Jinko

Awntawn said:
If anyone's doing any Camp Horizon leves (level 20+) involving cactaurs, please sell me any Red Ocre Scale Bugs you get off of them 3;

Also looking for Linseed Oil if anyone can make it D;

I take it you can make dyes then :p

Any chance you can make the leather dyes yet ?

Jinko

datamage said:
Not starting any shit, I was curious to know. When I first played XI there was no windower hack, so I'm not familiar with these methods and if there is a risk for using them.

It's beta if they ban your account then so what !

Hopefully by retail they will have enabled the hardware mouse themselves, otherwise they are going to bhave to ban a lot of customers.

Salaadin

Really? Well hopefully that gets turned on before release then.
What other kb/m issue do people have aside from the hardware mouse? Does hardware mouse suddenly make their current control scheme workable? I ought to just give it a shot.

gillty

Banned
other than the entire ui being designed for menu click through based interaction instead of drag and drop which would be insanely useful for itemization on the keyboard and mouse controls from someone who games on the pc everyday would be more than adequate. That and you cant use the mouse to explore the map.

you got WASD, Hardware Mouse, Hotkeys, 1-0 for abilities, and control/alt for alt abilities.

now if you liked the the FFXI keyboard only control scheme you were pretty much screwed as the arrows dont control the camera.

1) Implement hardware mouse for PC gamer control scheme

2) Implement arrow key camera control for FFXI like keyboard control scheme

Apparently SE doesn't know how to setup alternative control schemes because all of these random control schemes have been jam packed on the one keyboard setup. Its all personal preference after that.

Cory_t_

Anyone have this problem? I download the intaller from the Beta sight and run it. The install takes about 30sec (I assume it should take longer than that lol) Then I run the icon that it placed on my desktop and I get a small black window which crashes. Any suggestions?

Gromph

Staff Member
Cory_t_ said:
Anyone have this problem? I download the intaller from the Beta sight and run it. The install takes about 30sec (I assume it should take longer than that lol) Then I run the icon that it placed on my desktop and I get a small black window which crashes. Any suggestions?

Update Graphics drivers

Jinko

I wana smack SE so hard for this retainer shite, its just a sea of crap NPC's selling Crap items for ridiculous money..

Sadly it effects everyone.

Crafters can't find the stuff they need to craft.
Fighters can't find the armour they need to fight.

Raide

Just jumped on and slowly making progress in my Blacksmithing. I was wondering why I kept failing and the bar kept running out. Only then figured out I actually have to press the button to do something. :lol

Zomba13

Jinko said:
I wana smack SE so hard for this retainer shite, its just a sea of crap NPC's selling Crap items for ridiculous money..

And yet you have some idiot's defending it :(
I get them wanting the market ward system, to prevent things like rolanmart and overcrowded jeuno but just having it on it's own is just a bad way to shop.
I suggest in retail we notify people whenever we see something good for a good price, so we don't all spend an hour looking for the same sword or something.

DrDogg

Unknown Soldier said:
In the name of science, Rentahamster, DrDogg, and I spent a few lazy hours running around Thanalan killing every dodo we could find.

Our scientific experiment yielded the following data:

(1) There is no penalty to XP or SP for having a high level character stand there and tank all the damage while low level characters plink a mob to death.

(2) XP is distributed uniformly to party members based on their level regardless of whether they actually participated in the fight or not by doing damage, healing party members, or buffing/debuffing. If they were around the fight when it happened, they get XP.

(3) SP is distributed to party members based on a currently unknown algorithm which counts damage dealt per member. The highest damage dealer gets the most SP. (Everyone roll a gladiator at launch!!) The more members which deal damage to the enemy, the lower the total reward gets. Members which deal no damage to the enemy receive no SP reward. Healers can now commence raging at SE. :lol

(4) SP rewards drop significantly from highest damage dealer to lowest. Often times, the guy who dealt 60-75% of the damage got some SP, the guy who dealt 25-40% of the damage got zero.

In conclusion: The system for distributing XP and SP in this game is really fucked up and poorly thought out. If you plan to be a healer in this game, prepare to spend time leveling your mage job on your own because healing won't give you anything to level your job. SE really are trolling what few healers there are already if FFXI is any indication. If you actually play a healer, people will offer you disgusting sexual favors to join their parties because leveling a healer is going to be pure agony. :lol

One edit on this, when I said I got nothing, most of the time that was no XP or SP. So you don't automatically get XP.

This is just ridiculous. There were very few occasions when I got XP and no SP, and unless I was doing all of the damage, I got no SP or less than 100 SP. Unless this changes there's absolutely no reason for mages to party.

I don't even see a good solution for this other than to go back to the way it was in FFXI. Even if you give mages SP for healing and buffing/debuffing, they won't do enough of it in a fight to make it worthwhile. If you have a good tank (I'm thinking GLD with cure, or PUG with shadows), there may be fights when the mage doesn't heal at all. In which case, I'd still get no SP. Couple this with the MP regen issues and I don't see a good solution in site other than the FFXI system.

If nothing is done about this by launch, I'll focus almost exclusively on crafting and only level my mage classes solo (when I need materials). I'd like to have a high level CON and THM, but partying won't get me anywhere.

Jinko said:

SE has made some ridiculous decisions in FFXI and early on in FFXIV, but I have to believe that the party and AH systems will be good to go for launch. I just can't believe SE thinks the market wards are a good idea as the ONLY way to search for items to buy from other players in one spot. I have to have more faith than that.

Can anyone confirm whether or not SE stated there would be no AH at launch?

Gromph said:

Top as:

Is that because it was leaked all over the place?

And yet you have some idiot's defending it :(
I get them wanting the market ward system, to prevent things like rolanmart and overcrowded jeuno but just having it on it's own is just a bad way to shop.
I suggest in retail we notify people whenever we see something good for a good price, so we don't all spend an hour looking for the same sword or something.

JUST PUT IN AN AUCTION HOUSE! RAAAARGH!

They're gonna have to do it anyway, so why are they dicking around?

falastini

DrDogg said:
Regarding Final Fantasy XIV and the market battle system is something we would like to consider the equilevent to the auction house we had in Final Fantasy XI. Only that you'll also be able to fix your equipment and things like that. It is something we really want people to enjoy. Also after the release of the game we will see how it goes and for example find out what kind of search options players will want and need and improve the situation. We don't really want to introduce the auctionhouse from the beginning because that is going to determine the economy system. So we want to improve it slowly and adjust it accordingly.

Take what you want from that.

There's a few things that disturb me about that quote. First of all, they consider the market system to be an equivalent of the auction house (wtf). Secondly, they imply that, not only will auction house not be available at release, search functions for the market might not be ready either.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rentahamster said:
Holy shit I bought a bunch of sheepskin harnesses for 10K gil, and put them in my bazaar for 80K.

Somebody bought one already.
Update: I was selling a dodoskin harness for 150,000 gil, and someone bought that too.

DrDogg said:
One edit on this, when I said I got nothing, most of the time that was no XP or SP. So you don't automatically get XP.

This is just ridiculous. There were very few occasions when I got XP and no SP, and unless I was doing all of the damage, I got no SP or less than 100 SP. Unless this changes there's absolutely no reason for mages to party.

I don't even see a good solution for this other than to go back to the way it was in FFXI. Even if you give mages SP for healing and buffing/debuffing, they won't do enough of it in a fight to make it worthwhile. If you have a good tank (I'm thinking GLD with cure, or PUG with shadows), there may be fights when the mage doesn't heal at all. In which case, I'd still get no SP. Couple this with the MP regen issues and I don't see a good solution in site other than the FFXI system.

If nothing is done about this by launch, I'll focus almost exclusively on crafting and only level my mage classes solo (when I need materials). I'd like to have a high level CON and THM, but partying won't get me anywhere.

SE has made some ridiculous decisions in FFXI and early on in FFXIV, but I have to believe that the party and AH systems will be good to go for launch. I just can't believe SE thinks the market wards are a good idea as the ONLY way to search for items to buy from other players in one spot. I have to have more faith than that.

Yeah, the exp gain is really odd. There doesn't seem to be any penalty for number of party members or party member level disparity. The reason party exp usually sucks is that you have so many people trying to hit the monster that your share of hits and damage done is less overall than if you were soloing. Also, has anyone ever gotten more than 500 skill/rank points from a monster? It seems like that is the max you can get from one mob at a time.

It's dumb how leveling you job now is more like skillup parties from FF11. Instead of trying to kill the monster as fast as possible, you are now trying to keep it alive as long as possible and get in as many hits as you can.

notworksafe

Christ, that post is simply awful. The game clearly isn't for someone that wants what the game shows on the back of the box? What?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, I'm trying to figure out the best method of leveling up my jobs and crafts but sort of drawing a blank. I did this with FFXI and it worked fantastically, but it's not going to be so easy this time around.

I believe I would like to go Marauder. However, it seems that to have the most options, actions wise, you'll pretty much need to level up each other class to a specific level (especially to fill in a role of tanking Marauder, DD, etc). Then there's crafting. Equipment is going to be huge for this game. Stands to reason that one would take up the type of craft that would allow you fit your main class the best. For Marauder, that means Armorer, Blacksmith and miner. Sadly, I also like fishing and cooking. :lol

For those who were making equipment regularly in the beta, was finding parts to do so difficult?

DrDogg

falastini said:
Regarding Final Fantasy XIV and the market battle system is something we would like to consider the equilevent to the auction house we had in Final Fantasy XI. Only that you'll also be able to fix your equipment and things like that. It is something we really want people to enjoy. Also after the release of the game we will see how it goes and for example find out what kind of search options players will want and need and improve the situation. We don't really want to introduce the auctionhouse from the beginning because that is going to determine the economy system. So we want to improve it slowly and adjust it accordingly.

Take what you want from that.

There's a few things that disturb me about that quote. First of all, they consider the market system to be an equivalent of the auction house (wtf). Secondly, they imply that, not only will auction house not be available at release, search functions for the market might not be ready either.

F-U Square! You hear me?! F-U!

How old is that quote? Give me an interview with these people and let me ask some real questions. They're lucky I'm not at TGS to rip them a new one about this. Too bad I can't post on the beta forums. I'd light someone up and get banned or something... :lol

Not only do they not intend to have an AH at launch, but they think searching through the market ward is a good idea? I mean, even if I can just type in an item and it tells me which retainer has it and in which market ward, how long will it take to search through the hundreds of retainers to find the one I need (presumably indicated by name via the search)?

Not only that, but it takes a decent amount of time to even see all of the retainers. Just yesterday I ended up calling upon my retainer because I couldn't find her in the market ward. If I can't find my own retainer how do I expect others to find her?

And I assume there's no way to determine if anything sold on your retainer until you've called upon them? So I have to run to the market wards and hope something sold instead of just looking at my inbox in my mog house like I can do in FFXI? Fail!

To top it off, we'll have to pay for retainers at retail, on top of the tax charged in the retainer's bazaar. So we get double tax... I really need to slap someone at Square.

- I can't party (my favorite aspect of FFXI)
- I can craft, but so will everyone else, and it'll be a madhouse trying to sell items or find crafting materials.

This might just kill the game for me.

Alright, so I'm job level 10 (Lancer) and I finished all of the guildleves at drybone near ul'dah. I've done the next set of story missions (making an omelette). What do I do now? Do I grind mobs till level 20? That would suck pretty hard considering how many breaks I need to take in between kills at this level since stuff actually hits hard now.

Kintaro

Ah fuck it. I'll just keep it simple, level Marauder and the crafts to support it along with some fishing/cooking.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Instead of calling each Market Ward section some arbitrary name like Syntgoth or some stupid shit, they should just name them "war", "magic", "land", "hand", etc. Or go even more specific. Fuck this shit.

Salaadin

Kintaro said:
Ah fuck it. I'll just keep it simple, level Marauder and the crafts to support it along with some fishing/cooking.

Im doing the same thing as you. Marauder, Blacksmith, Armorer, Miner. Too bad my starting city will be Gridania and all my guilds will be in Limsa :(

Im actually starting the game as PUG though and quickly starting off with guildleves to get to rank 6 ASAP for Second Wind. Combining that with Marauders Bloodbath really helps reduce my down time.

falastini

DrDogg said:
How old is that quote?

It was one of the several Gamescom interviews that were released... so mid/late August?

Kintaro said:
Except it's not that easy. Items usually consist of multiple components from different crafts. For example, a pair of PUG weapons requires mid-level blacksmithing to make, but two of the components require higher level leatherworking. Another pair of PUG weapons, requires leatherworking to make, but you need a combination of smithing and weaving components. Your not going to be able to craft your own tools in this game without relying on other professions. I still have not been able to upgrade my weapons, because I just can't find anybody with the ingredients I need (yay marketplace).

Kintaro

Salaadin said:
Im doing the same thing as you. Marauder, Blacksmith, Armorer, Miner. Too bad my starting city will be Gridania and all my guilds will be in Limsa :(

Im actually starting the game as PUG though and quickly starting off with guildleves to get to rank 6 ASAP for Second Wind. Combining that with Marauders Bloodbath really helps reduce my down time.

That's a good idea actually. I'll be in Limsa though.

Sallokin

So I was finally able to get into the open beta last night. I really love the style of the game, but wow, was I just completely lost for the two or so hours I played. I'm gonna jump on again tonight. I'm in Limsa Lominsa and I'd really appreciate a linkpearl if anyone will be on.

Kintaro

falastini said:
Except it's not that easy. Items usually consist of multiple components from different crafts. For example, a pair of PUG weapons requires mid-level blacksmithing to make, but two of the components require higher level leatherworking. Another pair of PUG weapons, requires leatherworking to make, but you need a combination of smithing and weaving components. Your not going to be able to craft your own tools in this game without relying on other professions. I still have not been able to upgrade my weapons, because I just can't find anybody with the ingredients I need (yay marketplace).

Well, unless you start out the game as a crafter and only as a crafter, you're going to have to deal with it all somehow. =x

Salaadin

Its probably going to be essential to get a group of friends who all do different crafts and you can all craft things for eachother to help eachother out. Thats about all I can think of because I am not going to level every craft.

Other than that, just make gil somehow and pray that you find a bazaar with the items you need at a decent price.

Decay24

Neo Member
I'm gonna do Carpenter and Weaver because the supplies you get from Botanist help with those crafts.

I'll help your Armorer Sal :D

zlatko

Banned
Gromph said:
We should make a Server selection for release this week.

I'm not going /v/ and reddit community, also i'm avoiding spanish community too.

It seems my real life buddies and former LS mates are going to hop on Figaro. I'll just toss that one out there and see if I can get a win/win for having both Gaf and my homies in one spot. :D

Salaadin

Decay24 said:
I'm gonna do Carpenter and Weaver because the supplies you get from Botanist help with those crafts.

I'll help your Armorer Sal :D

I dont think any of my crafts help yours so Ill just repair your shit for free.

Kintaro

Well then I'm in a pickle as to what I'd like to do. All I know is, it suuuuuucks being without equipment in beta and it would suck more in retail.

Gopsje

Kintaro said:
Well then I'm in a pickle as to what I'd like to do. All I know is, it suuuuuucks being without equipment in beta and it would suck more in retail.

The plus side of it all is though that most of the beginner/mid crafting stuff is all sold by vendors. So I bet you can give a lot of your gilz to many happy folks who would love to craft you stuff. Sure it'll be easier for some to kill dodo's and get their leather. For others 4k gil is nothing. Besides that one could make an honest living on selling things like Windshards and Lightningshards in Uldah.

They are not easily gained there and could make quite some money (since Windshards is needed by most). Though I do fully agree on the part that one does not switch armor a lot if at all in the first 10-20 levels(which is kinda silly).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kintaro said:
I got some pretty good armor now, still have on the starter belt.

What I really need is a new axe. I still have the starter axe.

Jinko

Gopsje said:
The plus side of it all is though that most of the beginner/mid crafting stuff is all sold by vendors.

This isn't a plus, NPC's sell the items at stupid prices and they are dotted all over the place.

If there was a simple Auction House then we could just buy and craft from one place.

I'm giving them a month to fix the markets otherwise they can shove their game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We got any (at least level 8) Thaumaturges in the LS? I know Dogg is one.

I'm gonna do some testing later on in around 10 or more hours from now and would need a THA. I'm gonna try more of the "I tank while you do all the attacking" testing. You'll probably get mad skillups, too.

I want to try it on a stronger mob to see if we can break the 500 SP per monster barrier.

Raide

Any tips for more successful blacksmithing? Is there a certain order to use the buttons in order to craft? Thanks!

Raide said:
Any tips for more successful blacksmithing? Is there a certain order to use the buttons in order to craft? Thanks!

I asked the same thing in both threads and got nothing back :(

I saw this on gamefaqs, haven't tried it yet:
as far as crafting goes; do you know the trick to succeeding? when the orb is white i use rapid synth, for flashing i use standard synth. if it's yellow or red i click wait and then it normally goes back to flashing. i rarely fail when i do this.

Random Q. I asked about getting new abilities and if you have to buy them from the guild or not. Someone said you didn't, that I should check my chars traits tab. I did but I didn't have anything. When does say a Marauder learn his first new ability. I'm Rank 6.

Awntawn

Jinko said:
I take it you can make dyes then :p

Any chance you can make the leather dyes yet ?
Well, not me personally, but a guy I know D;

Any idea what level alchemy dyes need? I'm just trying to gather all the pieces for a damn axe, and hopefully procure talent when it's needed 3;

So apparently scale bugs come from Botany as well? ;o Sounds better than farming cactaurs ;x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom