• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soroc

rentahamster said:
We got any (at least level 8) Thaumaturges in the LS? I know Dogg is one.

I'm gonna do some testing later on in around 10 or more hours from now and would need a THA. I'm gonna try more of the "I tank while you do all the attacking" testing. You'll probably get mad skillups, too.

I want to try it on a stronger mob to see if we can break the 500 SP per monster barrier.

I've gotten over 500SP in one kill. I was fighting one of the lone wolves at conj10phys12 and was able to take him down. Was about a lil over a minute long fight and ended up with a total of 556SP.

I was using my technique Spirit Dart, Spirit Dart, Spirit Dart > Radiance > Cure > Spirit Dart, Spirit Dart > Radiance > Spirit Dart > Radiance

so on and so forth till dead. I think I threw in a blizzard once or twice.

So its definitely possible to get over 500 per kill.

Any tips on making the game less crashy, or known causes of crashes? For me, it seems rather random - I'll be able to play an hour with no crashes, then it'll be crashing every 5 minutes, then I'll play for 20 minutes before a crash...it's rather annoying. And it doesn't happen to my two friends I'm partying with. Is there any known hardware that makes the game more crashy, like Radeon 5750 or something?

I've tried changing graphics settings to all sorts of different things, including windowed and full screen, 1080p and 720p. I got the latest Catalyst drivers, made sure I had the latest DirectX...nothing. From Windows' logs, it seems that 3 out of 4 crashes are caused by FFXIV, with the 4th caused by D3D9.dll.

Salaadin

Dreamwriter said:
Any tips on making the game less crashy, or known causes of crashes? For me, it seems rather random - I'll be able to play an hour with no crashes, then it'll be crashing every 5 minutes, then I'll play for 20 minutes before a crash...it's rather annoying. And it doesn't happen to my two friends I'm partying with. Is there any known hardware that makes the game more crashy, like Radeon 5750 or something?

I've tried changing graphics settings to all sorts of different things, including windowed and full screen. I got the latest Catalyst drivers, made sure I had the latest DirectX...nothing. From Windows' logs, it seems that 3 out of 4 crashes are caused by FFXIV, with the 4th caused by D3D9.dll.

Everyone crashes. Ive yet to see someone say that they havent crashed once. Some are less than others but it happens to us all.

I saw on here and other places that its cause by a memory leak that needs to be patched. I dont know where this news came from or how anyone knows or figured it out but whatever. Take it for what its worth.

Whatever it is, it should be their top priority right now. I doubt anyone is willing to put up with in on retail. Its hard enough for beta :lol

I know everyone crashes, but my friends crash maybe once every 4 hours, I tend to crash A LOT. There has to be something different about my setup that is affecting the game.

Sallokin

Kintaro said:
I will probably start out in Limsa.

I will for sure.

I managed to play for a lot longer last night and the game really started to click with me. I'm really looking forward to sinking a lot of time into the different jobs. Right now I've only managed to play Lancer and Archer. I'm thinking I'll try out some of the crafting in the next few days and the guidleves that go along with those classes.

Sallokin said:
I will for sure.

I managed to play for a lot longer last night and the game really started to click with me. I'm really looking forward to sinking a lot of time into the different jobs. Right now I've only managed to play Lancer and Archer. I'm thinking I'll try out some of the crafting in the next few days and the guidleves that go along with those classes.

Last night after getting the 20k in mission I went around buying everything up so I could play with lots of different things. Is there a Lance sold somewhere in Limsa? I got a bow and h2h but didn't see a Lance :(

Moobabe

Because I'm unusual I went fisherman... so far I have no idea what I'm doing. I've found the fishing guild, caught some fish, levelled up, got to rank 2 fishing and now what? Can I do specific fishing based missions for the guild? Can I do ANYTHING quest wise as a fisherman or do I have to buy a weapon from somewhere so I can change class? Also can you navigate around the map? I was told to go somewhere but don't know how to check where it is.

Moobabe said:
Because I'm unusual I went fisherman... so far I have no idea what I'm doing. I've found the fishing guild, caught some fish, levelled up, got to rank 2 fishing and now what? Can I do specific fishing based missions for the guild? Can I do ANYTHING quest wise as a fisherman or do I have to buy a weapon from somewhere so I can change class? Also can you navigate around the map? I was told to go somewhere but don't know how to check where it is.

Check your journal for the name and then check the map.

Moobabe

demosthenes said:
Check your journal for the name and then check the map.

Well if I find out the name can I move around the map? It's locked for me and I can't zoom in or out on it unless I'm just not realising the commands for it.

vivin

Salaadin said:
Everyone crashes. Ive yet to see someone say that they havent crashed once. Some are less than others but it happens to us all.

I have only ever crashed once, and that was trying to log on while maintenance was happening, other than that, the game has been running a lot smoother than expected.

I finally got to craft last night, and I suck at it :lol I complete maybe 1/5 synths. Any tips from the pros? :D

Also, I dont understand the crafting leve's Do any of them give out the materials to craft with?

Moobabe said:
Well if I find out the name can I move around the map? It's locked for me and I can't zoom in or out on it unless I'm just not realising the commands for it.
The main fullscreen map (not the minimap in the corner) is controlled by the camera controls.

Moobabe

demosthenes said:
More and more this is the problem with this game. Nobody is reading what's practically in front of them.

Default: i, j, k l

I don't know if I would say the game is particularly clear about anything so far, granted I've only played a short while so haven't had a chance to poke around with the fine details. But why not when you load up the game "Movement is WASD and Camera is IJKL" in a little pop up?

Moobabe said:
I don't know if I would say the game is particularly clear about anything so far, granted I've only played a short while so haven't had a chance to poke around with the fine details. But why not when you load up the game "Movement is WASD and Camera is IJKL" in a little pop up?

Before downloading the client you should have seen on the left of the beta site "Game Manual"

https://dev-na.ffxiv.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=64508&#Post64508

Also, anyone really dislike the text box? I wish they'd bring back the one from FFXI :(

Moobabe said:
I think he was talking more about this specific thread. If you'll check out the first post in this thread, you'll see a section called "BETA GUIDES:" with two links - one called "controls", the other called "Beta Game Manual".

The actual full game will of course come with a printed instruction manual.

Moobabe

Dreamwriter said:
I think he was talking more about this specific thread. If you'll check out the first post in this thread, you'll see a section called "BETA GUIDES:" with two links - one called "controls", the other called "Beta Game Manual".

The actual full game will of course come with a printed instruction manual.

That's fair enough. I was too excited from finally finishing all the downloads and the patching to read through guides I think. In a way I like that it tells you nothing though, it feels like there's so much I need to learn. Sure it's daunting but, if it's anything like XI, it could be pretty rewarding too.

Sallokin

demosthenes said:
Last night after getting the 20k in mission I went around buying everything up so I could play with lots of different things. Is there a Lance sold somewhere in Limsa? I got a bow and h2h but didn't see a Lance :(

Yes, there are two lances that I've found for sale in Limsa one that is rank 1 and one that is optimal rank 10. They are sold (I believe) in the upper level of the city inside one of the really small connecting towers. Sorry i couldn't be more specific. I honestly just stumbled upon it one evening.

Thoraxes

Maybe i'm the exception, but I have yet to crash from anything that was the games fault and not my own. (Alt-Tabbing).
Really though, i've never had the game fail on me, i've never been kicked offline, and i've never crashed once.

Right now i'm running with an overclocked GPU (9800GTX+) and an overclocked processor (Phenom X4 9550) with 5GB of ram on Win7 64-bit, with all latest drivers for all my components. I also have all settings in game maxed (with 16xMSAA too!) but no AO or DoF on, and it's all running at 1080p windowed.

I just think it's weird that you all crash so much.

Jinko

For renta

22238513.jpg

zlatko

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Maybe i'm the exception, but I have yet to crash from anything that was the games fault and not my own. (Alt-Tabbing).
Really though, i've never had the game fail on me, i've never been kicked offline, and i've never crashed once.

Right now i'm running with an overclocked GPU (9800GTX+) and an overclocked processor (Phenom X4 9550) with 5GB of ram on Win7 64-bit, with all latest drivers for all my components. I also have all settings in game maxed (with 16xMSAA too!) but no AO or DoF on, and it's all running at 1080p windowed.

I just think it's weird that you all crash so much.

Same thing here. A few different specs and whatever, but I find it odd that some people are crashing so much, yet I'm smooth sailing. I'm generally the guy who gets the worst experience on that end with betas. :lol

Londa

Banned
When the game goes retail, my first day playing will consist of:

wake up early, play, eat breakfast, play, get dress, play, eat lunch, play, eat dinner, play til 3am.

Don't judge me.

found this on BG, SE, really??

subligar.png

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
For renta

22238513.jpg
Hmm interesting. So the cap goes up based on some sort of modifier. Overall rank? Rank relative to the mob? Mob's rank? Hmmm...

That's some nice points you got there, Jinko. No wonder you're level 14 already :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
By the way, I found an area near Limsa that spawns human mobs. Raiders, Footpads, etc. They're pretty strong, though. Healers are a must. Probably level 20+ mobs.

Lv 13 Marauder (me)
Lv 14 Conjurer
Lv 16 Conjurer

Died while trying to take them on.

Anyone want to help me murder them?

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Hmm interesting. So the cap goes up based on some sort of modifier. Overall rank? Rank relative to the mob? Mob's rank? Hmmm...

That's some nice points you got there, Jinko. No wonder you're level 14 already :)

Oh it wasn't me somehow I clicked default on my chat filters and I can see everyones XP... now I can't fix it unless I turn mine off aswell.

Stupid game.

And yes I'll help with those human, lvl 15 Archer now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Oh it wasn't me somehow I clicked default on my chat filters and I can see everyones XP... now I can't fix it unless I turn mine off aswell.

Stupid game.

And yes I'll help with those human, lvl 15 Archer now.
Cool. An archer would be good as I was the only one doing damage and it wasn't fast enough. It would also be good that you're far away since the GLA mob has circle slash, a nasty AoE weaponskill.

Teknoman

Londa said:

wake up early, play, eat breakfast, play, get dress, play, eat lunch, play, eat dinner, play til 3am.

Don't judge me.

Arrrgh subligaaaaaar!

Subxero

The patch is up now, and it downloaded super fast for me. That was a first I've been having to do the direct downloads from the site posted earlier in thread.

Rentahamster said:
Cool. An archer would be good as I was the only one doing damage and it wasn't fast enough. It would also be good that you're far away since the GLA mob has circle slash, a nasty AoE weaponskill.

I'd love to help but I'm at work all night. Unless you guys are still on at midnight Pacific time. :lol

careksims

Londa said:

Don't judge me.

subligar.png

Equal opportunity I say. If girls are wearing that, so can guys :lol

zlatko

Banned
Is the game servers up? After the new patches I can't get into the game. Stuck on loading to get to my characters. I really need to bookmark a site that has server status. :/

Kuro268

Neo Member
zlatko said:
Is the game servers up? After the new patches I can't get into the game. Stuck on loading to get to my characters. I really need to bookmark a site that has server status. :/

Maintenance wont be done for another 59 minutes.

zlatko

Banned
Kuro268 said:
Maintenance wont be done for another 59 minutes.

Thank you. :D

On another note holy crap do you level fast when swapping to a level 1 class and your physical is level 19 like it was for me. I got pugilist 1-10 grinding mobs around Limsa in about 2 hours tops, or at least it felt like it was only 2 hours. I really got that same feel, vibe, and pacing I did when I would solo 1-12 in Gustaberg in FFXI. That put me in a really good mood, because when you start the game progress felt much more slow.

Also, I'm still not sure what I want to main when game launches. I was set on Marauder, but after switching to Pugilist I felt like my Marauder's DD potential was poor. Such a shame I still haven't found a new Gaxe just to see what kind of damage I can really except from my character at this level range.

Kuro268

Neo Member
zlatko said:
Thank you. :D

On another note holy crap do you level fast when swapping to a level 1 class and your physical is level 19 like it was for me. I got pugilist 1-10 grinding mobs around Limsa in about 2 hours tops, or at least it felt like it was only 2 hours. I really got that same feel, vibe, and pacing I did when I would solo 1-12 in Gustaberg in FFXI. That put me in a really good mood, because when you start the game progress felt much more slow.

Also, I'm still not sure what I want to main when game launches. I was set on Marauder, but after switching to Pugilist I felt like my Marauder's DD potential was poor. Such a shame I still haven't found a new Gaxe just to see what kind of damage I can really except from my character at this level range.

Yeah I hear ya. After hitting 20/20 I went back to get Bloodbath for my Archer. 854 HP on Lv1 Marauder and I hit like a truck. Was so strong that I had to do the higher level squirrels in the Black Shroud. Thistletail I think they are called.

11:36 Servers up early. Now to wait for the patch details. Come on SE... <3

Kandinsky

Square Enix said:
[Important Update Details]
- An issue which caused players to, if they had changed equipment immediately after performing a “stand up” emote from a chair, warp to the location where their last “stand up” emote was performed upon selecting the emote again has been addressed.
Finally!

:lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Londa said:

Don't judge me.

I won't lie. I'm taking an extra day off that week. I will be a crafting fool. However, I believe the LS will be key in doing lots of leves together.

But yeah. my main will be crafting. All of them. NEOGALKA!

Did SE patched the Hardware Mouse workaround? Seems like it doesn't allow me to do it anymore?

Edit: also Seems like my mouse is lagging more than before ;___;

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:
Does anyone have the most recent FF14.exe they can upload.

I have only the one in squareenix.rar at my server. the mos updated in home

Jinko

Gromph said:
I have only the one in squareenix.rar at my server. the mos updated in home

No prob, game is still working with the old one so no rush, but if you could upload the newest for me when you get a chance would be appreciated :)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
End of beta!

We would like to thank everyone who has participated in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test.

The open beta test currently being conducted is scheduled to end at 12:00 a.m. on September 20, 2010 (GMT). Following the end of the open beta test, the beta test site will close at 7:00 a.m. on September 21, 2010 (GMT).

*Client downloads will cease simultaneously with the end of the open beta test.
*The bug report form will be closed simultaneously with the beta test site.

There isn’t much time left in the open beta test, but we would like to thank everyone for their cooperation and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom