• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
carlo6529 said:
I wonder if we will have to reinstall the whole game again or just update it with a patch?

Uninstall -> Install from DVD -> Huge Patch.

Jinko

I prefer Valru's window fix to this windower TBH, I don't want it to minimise when i press windows key !

Thanks Gromph :)

Stolen from Gaming thread:

Kintaro said:
Again, you guys are on the wrong thread. If you want in the GAF LS, you need to make your voices known in the online thread. Not here.

So has a server been decided on yet GAF :p?

Khrno

Londa said:
which one do I pick?

Hai.

4976210261_3678b91001_b.jpg

Salaadin

Ok apparently the other thread isnt the place to discuss this sort of thing so Im posting it here.

Some are starting to wonder about the official GAF server for game launch. Do you guys want to vote now, wait until we have the FULL server list in its entirety, or just stick with Lindblum? I know some didnt like the idea of playing on the reddit server and some just dont like Lindblum in general. There are also other linkshells that you guys might want to wait and see where they end up.

Also, remember that if you want to transfer your name over, you need to pick the same server for launch that you had in beta so if you guys dont end up on Lindblum, it might be a good idea to create another character on the server you do pick to make sure your name isnt taken and reserve it for retail. Thats probably one reason why its a good idea to get an official retail server before the beta ends.

Anyways, I have THIS LIST containing the day one gaffers from the other FFXIV thread. If anyone isnt on that list, let me know and Ill add you. Ill then use that list when it comes down to server voting (if we have one). Hell, you might as well let me know your FFXIV name as well so I can throw that one there.

Zalasta

Raging Spaniard said:
Whats wrong with Lindblum?

I won't be playing with GAF but I imagine the fact is Lindblum was one of the most populated servers during beta, and there have been more that were added. So rather than hoping that other people will flock to one of those other servers, it is probably a better idea to just pick a different one to start on. Anyway, that's what my LS is doing. We're ditching Figaro and headed elsewhere.

Salaadin

Zalasta said:
I won't be playing with GAF but I imagine the fact is Lindblum was one of the most populated servers during beta, and there have been more that were added. So rather than hoping that other people will flock to one of those other servers, it is probably a better idea to just pick a different one to start on. Anyway, that's what my LS is doing. We're ditching Figaro and headed elsewhere.

In the end, all servers had a 3 chocobo rating for capacity. Lindblum was one of the first to but they all ended up busy.

gillty

Banned
Jinko said:
I prefer Valru's window fix to this windower TBH, I don't want it to minimise when i press windows key !

Thanks Gromph :)
Not to mention my method doesn't interfere with the ffxiv process, considering we have no idea what methods SE plans to employ for detecting such things I would avoid FFXIV windowed for a while after launch.

also my method which is basically dragging/repositioning the windowed client still seems to be the only way to get a borderless windowed mode for multi-screen setups.

Gopsje

I'm also a Day 1 player (or going to be). Don't have any preferences on the servers though. But yeah deciding before launch to save a name would be lovely.

Subxero

It would be nice to know which server we are going to play on. I've been playing on Lindblum, but I'll make a character on the server we decide on.

I didn't know we could reserve our name in the beta though. I figured everything was going to be wiped for launch.

Soroc

You can add me to the list of Day 1 Gaffers. I tried to resist but the game is fucking compelling even with its flaws. Name will be Soroc Dahydro

I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I am following the instructions for getting the patches in the OP and on the associated website. I place them in the directory, rerun the updater and it still tries to update it.

I'm pretty sure I have everything in the correct folders... I really want to try the beta. I just got my new laptop to get me to PS3 launch... Can anyone think of something I may be doing wrong?

LivetoFollow said:
I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I am following the instructions for getting the patches in the OP and on the associated website. I place them in the directory, rerun the updater and it still tries to update it.

I'm pretty sure I have everything in the correct folders... I really want to try the beta. I just got my new laptop to get me to PS3 launch... Can anyone think of something I may be doing wrong?

Let it run. It runs the updater for like 15 seconds for me to realize I have them and then I think it sees them and unpacks/installs them.

Does it go forever?

it goes on an then starts to download the H2010.08.30.2000 patch. I have it all folders in the My Games directory and started over. Same thing. I'm so frustrated! haha. Their torrent update service is horridly slow... by the time I let SE update my files I'll have my discs and have to start over with another update.

No matter what I do, it goes back to downloading a file I already have...

Jinko

falastini said:
lol nice exp.

Just curious, what level were you guys? My pug is only 11/16 and has more HP.

edit: I take that back. Obeyrn has similar HP. I'm still curious what level range you guys were.

I'm level 15 Acrher 20 Physical, My HP is low because I have pumped all my points into STR and DEX and I still miss like crazy, guna try some different arrows perhaps that will help.

At the moment im missing 2 out 5, not sure I will go Archer in retail for this reason, If you are paying for ammo then you should be hitting 90% of the time.

Salaadin said:
Anyways, I have THIS LIST containing the day one gaffers from the other FFXIV thread. If anyone isnt on that list, let me know and Ill add you. Ill then use that list when it comes down to server voting (if we have one). Hell, you might as well let me know your FFXIV name as well so I can throw that one there.
I plan on getting the game so I'll be playing. Haven't been playing the beta so I have no FFXIV name.

Jinko said:
I'm level 15 Acrher 20 Physical, My HP is low because I have pumped all my points into STR and DEX and I still miss like crazy, guna try some different arrows perhaps that will help.

At the moment im missing 2 out 5, not sure I will go Archer in retail for this reason, If you are paying for ammo then you should be hitting 90% of the time.

What effects party exp? Physical level or class level?

Soroc said:
I agree I'm good with Lindblum but would be fine if we wanna do another vote. I'd just like to stick with the gaf linkshell :D

Yea, I'd just like it decided soon. I'm not buying that any one will be better than the other right now. All the servers are going to be packed full, a lagfest and a cluster- upon release. :lol

Mims

I'll be a day one too. And if anybody needs fish i'll be the one to talk to. The fishing game is crazy addicting to me for some reason.

Question for people.

Last night I was running to kill some mobs for a leve and I saw the sparkle for mining on some rocks. I changed to the pickaxe (first time changing a weapon) and then eventually changed back to my marauder's gaxe. My macros on the bottom had been removed. Will this ALWASYS happen? Is there a way to save the list?

jsrv

I'd rather move to a new server (one of the new ones under player's site like Alexandria), but I think I'll follow whatever server gaf decides on.

are we voting on the server choice?

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Question for people.

Last night I was running to kill some mobs for a leve and I saw the sparkle for mining on some rocks. I changed to the pickaxe (first time changing a weapon) and then eventually changed back to my marauder's gaxe. My macros on the bottom had been removed. Will this ALWASYS happen? Is there a way to save the list?

Yeah, your action bar resets when you change jobs. The way around this is to create a macro for each job. Mine look similar to this:

/equip main "Weathered Battle Axe"
/eaction 2 "Bloodbath"
/eaction 3 "Second Wind"
/eaction 4 "Trunksplitter"
...and repeat for each ability. That way, I will equip my axe and all of my actions will fill into the right spots with one click.

jsrv said:
I'd rather move to a new server (one of the new ones under player's site like Alexandria), but I think I'll follow whatever server gaf decides on.

are we voting on the server choice?
It was suggested but not a lot of people seem to be biting. Ill start tallying once people start voting (if they do)

Salaadin said:
Yeah, your action bar resets when you change jobs. The way around this is to create a macro for each job. Mine look similar to this:

/equip main "Weathered Battle Axe"
/eaction 2 "Bloodbath"
/eaction 3 "Second Wind"
/eaction 4 "Trunksplitter"
...and repeat for each ability. That way, I will equip my axe and all of my actions will fill into the right spots with one click.

It was suggested but not a lot of people seem to be biting. Ill start tallying once people start voting (if they do)

Will we have enough macro space when the jobs get to rank 40+ and have tons of abilities @.@

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Will we have enough macro space when the jobs get to rank 40+ and have tons of abilities @.@

Take multiple gear sets into consideration, probably not. I think we will end up having 2-3 macros set up per job since each macro can only have 10 lines of text before you are forced to use a new one.

If they dont implement some kind of action bar memory, it can be a hassle especially once we have many jobs skilled and many actions to equip.

Salaadin said:
Take multiple gear sets into consideration, probably not. I think we will end up having 2-3 macros set up per job since each macro can only have 10 lines of text before you are forced to use a new one.

If they dont implement some kind of action bar memory, it can be a hassle especially once we have many jobs skilled and many actions to equip.

That's such a stupid design choice to not tie that bar to your weapon that you have, oh SE.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
That's such a stupid design choice to not tie that bar to your weapon that you have, oh SE.

Itd be a step forward if we can at least have a macro set up to activate other macros. That way we can macro our macros and then set up a macro to set off our other macros. Dawg.

Subxero

I would like to stick to Lindblum since that's the only sever I've registered a character on. I've also decided to pay for a second character slot.

I realize I'm newer to GAF, so I'm more than happy to go with which ever server is decided on. I would just like to know so I can get a name registered so I'll be ready to go.

I'm going to have to get on that Macro stuff. It's annoying as hell to have to set all of my abilities ever time I change jobs. I can't believe that it doesn't save what you have set it would have made thing so much easier.

Cathcart

Pretty cool web app to help with macro making:

http://www.yetikitn.com/ffxiv/

Just don't forget the limit is 10 lines per macro so you have to split it up once you get over that. I'm already on my second macro as a rank 12 archer.

I don't mind the macros so much, once you set them up you only tweek them occasionally. What's lame is how long they take to run. It's not like you hit the macro and boom your gearset and action bars change. It does each line one by one and they take a second or two each. Bleh.

I haven't posted much here, but I am also going to stick with the Neogaf server. I won't have much time to play because of graduate studies, so a close community will be nice.

I think I know what I did wrong getting the open beta installed. Hopefully all will be well soon. I avoided posting because I hadn't installed the game yet, but I am grateful for all the impressions and assistance Gafers have posted.

I only care about character creation for open beta. It will take me a week just to make my character, lol. Thank Space Ghost for beta creations working in retail!

Thorhald

Confused ... FFXIV CE says you get an 8 day head start, but the beta ends Sept 20th ... and the game ships Sept 22nd?

What am I missing?

Subxero

Thorhald said:
Confused ... FFXIV CE says you get an 8 day head start, but the beta ends Sept 20th ... and the game ships Sept 22nd?

What am I missing?

The Collector Edition is released the 22 and the Standard Edition does not get a release til the 30th.

I thought it was just going to be a code or early download until release, but square is actually doing two releases

jiggle

beta ends 20nd
CE retail starts 22nd
SE retail starts 30 (8 days after CE)

how is SE's payment system going to work with the collector's edition i wonder
don't they normally charge you for the FULL month regardless when you start off the game?
so if CE's free month ends on Oct 22nd...they're gonna charge us full price for 8 days in Oct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom