• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm finally on.

Shino Mouri on Lindblum home us Ul'Dah

Is that the right neogaf server? I'm heading out to dinner. Who can I message for a linkpearl?

Canti

Anyone know at what rank miner gets prospect 3?

I just hit 11 with it today and grade 2 deposits are only netting me 100-ish exp a time now so ranking up is slow and painful.

vivin

I'll be playing day 1, and I say we stay on Lindblum :). I think the server populations will even out within a few days of retail going live

zlatko

Banned
I have a question that I can't figure out at all.

I got to about level 17 marauder about 2 days ago. I exped that day and noticed whenever I was killing mobs it said I was getting "bonus exp" per kill. I was like wooh sweet. I checked my stats and it showed my # of exp gained so far was in yellow font instead of the usual white(or green if you are under guardian favor on a guild leve).

I assumed this yellow font was fatigue as people had mentioned it, so I hadn't played Marauder until today for a leve. I still got bonus exp, but when the leve was over my exp font went to white again.

Did I ever have fatigue? What was giving me this bonus exp?

Thoraxes

zlatko said:
I have a question that I can't figure out at all.

I got to about level 17 marauder about 2 days ago. I exped that day and noticed whenever I was killing mobs it said I was getting "bonus exp" per kill. I was like wooh sweet. I checked my stats and it showed my # of exp gained so far was in yellow font instead of the usual white(or green if you are under guardian favor on a guild leve).

I assumed this yellow font was fatigue as people had mentioned it, so I hadn't played Marauder until today for a leve. I still got bonus exp, but when the leve was over my exp font went to white again.

Did I ever have fatigue? What was giving me this bonus exp?

Yeah I think you did. If my memory serves me correct, they changed the name of surplus XP to bonus XP. I think *shrugs* i'm right.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm fine to stay in Lindblum. I will be starting in Limsa. I'm more than willing to hang out in Limsa during the first few days to get people pearls who start out in that area. Problem is, getting a pearl out to me. :lol

Thoraxes

Square-Enix said:
We would like to thank everyone who has participated in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test.

The open beta test currently being conducted is scheduled to end at 5:00 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (PDT). Following the end of the open beta test, the beta test site will close at 12:00 a.m. on September 20, 2010 (PDT).
Client downloads will cease simultaneously with the end of the open beta test.
The bug report form will be closed simultaneously with the beta test site.

There isn’t much time left in the open beta test, but we would like to thank everyone for their cooperation and support..

Well, closure is had. I'm surprised there's over a week left till the end of open beta.

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
I'm fine to stay in Lindblum. I will be starting in Limsa. I'm more than willing to hang out in Limsa during the first few days to get people pearls who start out in that area. Problem is, getting a pearl out to me. :lol

That'll be easy, unless they make it harder to hit the ferry in retail.

So far it looks like we're staying on Lindblum, which will be cool since everyone can keep their names...if it was the name they wanted.

zlatko

Banned
Teknoman said:
That'll be easy, unless they make it harder to hit the ferry in retail.

So far it looks like we're staying on Lindblum, which will be cool since everyone can keep their names...if it was the name they wanted.

Lindblum is what the server is going to be?

I'll try to see if my real life buddies/LSmates from XI would want to roll onto that server instead of Figaro, but I doubt it.

I made my third and final character tonight just to view the opening cut scene for Gridania. It's like all the Vanille level voice actors got into one room. The cut scene was great, but the voice acting and dialog was so blah. The other towns are pretty much the same in that sense, but I'm going to stick with Limsa when game launches. The pirate story stuff has me hooked to know more. :)

Teknoman

zlatko said:
Lindblum is what the server is going to be?

I'll try to see if my real life buddies/LSmates from XI would want to roll onto that server instead of Figaro, but I doubt it.

I made my third and final character tonight just to view the opening cut scene for Gridania. It's like all the Vanille level voice actors got into one room. The cut scene was great, but the voice acting and dialog was so blah. The other towns are pretty much the same in that sense, but I'm going to stick with Limsa when game launches. The pirate story stuff has me hooked to know more. :)

Well looking at the vote list anyway.

Doodlebug

Well I had fun with character creation, but my computer struggles to run the game. I immediately became fond of my Lalafell Gladiator, too, appearance and name. The taster I had is tempting.

This game is a piece of shit. Playing as an Archer means that your accuracy in hitting a target depends on lag. I'm dead serious here. When I an soloing as an Archer, I have no problems hitting mobs. But then I get in a party and I miss 9 out of every 10 shots. Squenix are seriously the most incompetent pieces of shit in the history of incompetent pieces of shit if they can't even figure out how to make netcode which doesn't screw up the ability of players to play the fucking game.

I absolutely, positively will cancel my preorder if SE doesn't fix this before launch. Archer is the class I want to play. Yeah, I'm pretty much just pissing in the wind by posting this, I know that SE doesn't care. Well, they might care if the game crashes and burns as everybody cancels preorders because of the state of this open beta. But then it will be too late, and another promising MMOG will join a long line of promising MMOGs in the dustbin of MMOG history.

Londa

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
This game is a piece of shit. Playing as an Archer means that your accuracy in hitting a target depends on lag. I'm dead serious here. When I an soloing as an Archer, I have no problems hitting mobs. But then I get in a party and I miss 9 out of every 10 shots. Squenix are seriously the most incompetent pieces of shit in the history of incompetent pieces of shit if they can't even figure out how to make netcode which doesn't screw up the ability of players to play the fucking game.

I absolutely, positively will cancel my preorder if SE doesn't fix this before launch. Archer is the class I want to play. Yeah, I'm pretty much just pissing in the wind by posting this, I know that SE doesn't care. Well, they might care if the game crashes and burns as everybody cancels preorders because of the state of this open beta. But then it will be too late, and another promising MMOG will join a long line of promising MMOGs in the dustbin of MMOG history.

Ever think that the mob you was soloing had less evasion than a mob you are partying on which is most likey higher level than the mob you soloed? Higher the mob the higher the evasion they have.

Londa said:
Ever think that the mob you was soloing had less evasion than a mob you are partying on which is most likey higher level than the mob you soloed? Higher the mob the higher the evasion they have.

No, because everybody else in my party who were melee classes were kicking it's ass liberally in good measure. :lol

Jinko has noticed it too, that archer accuracy is dependent on latency. I'm not imagining this, I spent ~5 hours in a party killing goats and giant enemy crabs to reach my conclusion.

Londa

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
No, because everybody else in my party who were melee classes were kicking it's ass liberally in good measure. :lol

Jinko has noticed it too, that archer accuracy is dependent on latency. I'm not imagining this, I spent ~5 hours in a party killing goats and giant enemy crabs to reach my conclusion.

The only thing I have noticed is that lag will not allow me to do actions. It has never made me miss. Only time I have missed that bad is when doing level 20 leves as a rank 7 mar.

Khrno

Unknown Soldier said:
Try being an Archer.

Only rank 10 Archer, granted I haven't done any party as such, but I've had lots of lag and slowdown. That didn't prevent me from killing yellow mobs thanks to how overpowered Archers are.

Jinko

I duno if its lag related, I haven't really thought about that to be honest, but there is a clear disadvantage for being Archer at the moment, solo I miss 2 out 5 in a party it can be as much as 3 out of 5.

When im paying for arrows I don't want to see the majority going to waste.

My stats are 30% STR, 50% DEX and 20% VIT, don't tell me this isn't enough, I can't put all my points in DEX otherwise i will get one shot and hit like a pansy.

I actually find my weapon skills miss more than my light shot, so not only am i missing trying to gain TP but I fucking miss when i shoot my weapon skill off aswell.

It's seriously irratating so I won't be playing Archer at release, I won't be playing mages cause they are broken from party SP problems.

So what is there left (don't want to play MRD or LNC), guess I'm just guna be crafting and mining until SE fix this shit. (but then ther is the problem of whether i can sell my stuff cause no AH and there for no economy) SE need to get a fucking clue.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
God I can't believe I'm going to sound like I'm defending anything here...but honestly that's not too bad as an Archer. Archers hit really, really hard in the beta and they were the only ones with higher level weapons readily available. Fighting against accuracy should be the trade off to doing that damage. Just like Ranger in FFXI before it (remember RNG WS's all have low, low accuracy). Marauders also tend to have melee accuracy problems as well.

Of course, this was beta and the availability of equipment was poor and food was not ven activated. So...take away what you will.

Having accuracy to lag makes zero sense in any way, shape or form. even for SE.

Jinko

You're thinking like FF11 though, in most MMO's you don't miss unless you are fighting a boss and on like .5% chance of a regular monster.

You could be right that it might be a gear/food thing but even so, paying to attack is bad enough, pay to miss is retarded.

I should describe exactly what I was up to the last 12 hours or so of play.

First, I spent a few hours soloing dodos in Limsa. I worked my way up from level 11, rank 9 Archer to level 15, Rank 12 Archer. Most of the leveling up was gained by doing Alchemy leves, most of the skilling up was done by contributing to the future extinction of dodos in Eorzea. In general, I rarely if ever missed landing the big damage skills fighting the dodos, and most of the time if I did miss it was only once a fight. After awhile of doing this, it became very easy to tell when I was going to miss, all I would have to do was look at the R/S color arrows in the upper right side of my screen and see if it was green or yellow. Green meant a good fight I was almost guaranteed to win, yellow meant that I would need to see if I was being allowed to attack or not and if my shots were landing. In general, yellow during a fight was an indicator I should run away and wait for the lagstorm to end before resuming soloing.

After that, I joined a party which was busy killing the nanny aldergoat mobs. Early on it was just me, a healer, and a tank. The healer was Alex Smith and the tank was Mister Oop, you're welcome to ask them what they saw and if it corroborates my account of events. So, with just 3 of us, we went off and starting killing goats. I was landing almost all of my attacks and doing my assigned task, which was to deal damage to the goat while the healer healed the tank. Later on, 2 more people from GAF LS joined our party and we were now 5. We went off to kill giant enemy crabs. I noticed from that point forward, when the size of the party grew from 3 to 5, that I began missing almost all of my shots. Landing a shot 2 out of 9 or even 1 out of 10 times suddenly became the norm. At first I thought something was wrong, my gear was broken or something so I went back to town to repair all my gear and buy arrows. Nothing had changed other than there were now more people hitting the mob, creating latency for me. After awhile Eithne Rain logged off and we were 4, so we went back to killing goats. Sure enough, I was still missing almost every shot I took. These were the same fucking goats that I was able to hit earlier in a party of 3. After awhile I got pissed about this and the party broke up, I went off by myself to test a hunch and killed a dodo. I was again hitting every shot I took and the dodo soon joined the hundreds of other dodos I had genocided today.

So no, I do not believe that this is working as SE intended. Something is screwed up which makes the Archer's accuracy become effectively zero when latency increases beyond a certain point. I noticed this even when soloing, if there were other people busy fighting their own mobs while I was trying to solo, my accuracy suddenly went down. If I then walked away on my own and looked for a spot without a bunch of people, I could magically hit the dodos again. This is not a fluke, and I am not full of shit. This is what I observed during normal play grinding XP in Limsa.

Jinko

I'll test this latency theory out Unkown and see what my findings are, for what its worth if you watch my videos 2 or so pages back you will see just how much i miss in a group :lol

Either way I have posted about it on the beta forum cause i think its broken aswell.

Londa

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I should describe exactly what I was up to the last 12 hours or so of play.

First, I spent a few hours soloing dodos in Limsa. I worked my way up from level 11, rank 9 Archer to level 15, Rank 12 Archer. Most of the leveling up was gained by doing Alchemy leves, most of the skilling up was done by contributing to the future extinction of dodos in Eorzea. In general, I rarely if ever missed landing the big damage skills fighting the dodos, and most of the time if I did miss it was only once a fight. After awhile of doing this, it became very easy to tell when I was going to miss, all I would have to do was look at the R/S color arrows in the upper right side of my screen and see if it was green or yellow. Green meant a good fight I was almost guaranteed to win, yellow meant that I would need to see if I was being allowed to attack or not and if my shots were landing. In general, yellow during a fight was an indicator I should run away and wait for the lagstorm to end before resuming soloing.

After that, I joined a party which was busy killing the nanny aldergoat mobs. Early on it was just me, a healer, and a tank. The healer was Alex Smith and the tank was Mister Oop, you're welcome to ask them what they saw and if it corroborates my account of events. So, with just 3 of us, we went off and starting killing goats. I was landing almost all of my attacks and doing my assigned task, which was to deal damage to the goat while the healer healed the tank. Later on, 2 more people from GAF LS joined our party and we were now 5. We went off to kill giant enemy crabs. I noticed from that point forward, when the size of the party grew from 3 to 5, that I began missing almost all of my shots. Landing a shot 2 out of 9 or even 1 out of 10 times suddenly became the norm. At first I thought something was wrong, my gear was broken or something so I went back to town to repair all my gear and buy arrows. Nothing had changed other than there were now more people hitting the mob, creating latency for me. After awhile Eithne Rain logged off and we were 4, so we went back to killing goats. Sure enough, I was still missing almost every shot I took. These were the same fucking goats that I was able to hit earlier in a party of 3. After awhile I got pissed about this and the party broke up, I went off by myself to test a hunch and killed a dodo. I was again hitting every shot I took and the dodo soon joined the hundreds of other dodos I had genocided today.

So no, I do not believe that this is working as SE intended. Something is screwed up which makes the Archer's accuracy become effectively zero when latency increases beyond a certain point. I noticed this even when soloing, if there were other people busy fighting their own mobs while I was trying to solo, my accuracy suddenly went down. If I then walked away on my own and looked for a spot without a bunch of people, I could magically hit the dodos again. This is not a fluke, and I am not full of shit. This is what I observed during normal play grinding XP in Limsa.

It is because after your party grew you guys decided to stop killing goats and kill the crabs. Crabs are harder to kill than Goats. They also are harder to damage even when you hit them.

Londa said:
It is because after your party grew you guys decided to stop killing goats and kill the crabs. Crabs are harder than Goats. They also are harder to damage even when you hit them.

Try harder next time and read all the way until the end of my post before you reply. Otherwise do us all a favor and don't bother replying at all.

Londa

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Try harder next time and read all the way until the end of my post before you reply. Otherwise do us all a favor and don't bother replying at all.

What is there to try? you decided to fight harder mobs making it harder to hit. You should prolly stop posting because you don't understand acc isn't effect by lag.

Salaadin

Londa said:
What is there to try? you decided to fight harder mobs making it harder to hit. You should prolly stop posting because you don't understand acc isn't effect by lag.

He did go back to the earlier mobs that he didnt have any issues hitting and still had problems.

Londa said:

The person who should stop posting is you, since your apparent only purpose in this thread is to reflexively defend this game against any possible criticism which may be leveled against it. Again, read my fucking post to the end, and then try replying in a manner other than a blind fanboy.

Teknoman

Londa said:
It is because after your party grew you guys decided to stop killing goats and kill the crabs. Crabs are harder to kill than Goats. They also are harder to damage even when you hit them.

Bet they needed more blunt damage or maybe elemental (Thunder/Blizzard?) I dunno what crabs are weak against here...maybe piercing since some games make hard shelled enemies weak against both blunt and piercing.

Kuro268

Neo Member
I've played Archer to 20 and never saw that lag = ACC down issue that you stated. I will admit that Archer ACC in general is awful. I've gone like 8 hits straight and two WS of all whiffs.

But judging from your story this should be easy enough to test... Get the same amount of people and fighting some goats and see your how your ACC is then. I'm not trying to defend the game but the crabs are quite a few levels higher than the Nannys. You say you did this, but I'm not sure I'm convinced. It's such a difference compared to most of the tests others and I have done.

What you stated is not a conclusive enough test to make such a theory especially when it was on completely different mobs / different levels. For the future, when running tests on stats, you stick to one particular mob as to not skew your results. It's called a "control". Any of us on BG will tell you this.

Also I'd like to note that I've been getting rampant r0s as of a few patches ago. Sometimes I would r0 during the party (and keep spamming Light Shot) but when the connection went back to normal the game would fast forward (ala FFXI). I did not notice excessive missing like you claim in that time. That should debunk your theory.

Kuro268

Neo Member
Yeah I got hit with the hammer near the end of Phase 3.

Are they really? I thought that dude was kind of obnoxious with his spamming on forums. So never really watched them.

Londa

Banned
The person who should stop posting is you, since your apparent only purpose in this thread is to reflexively defend this game against any possible criticism which may be leveled against it. Again, read my fucking post to the end, and then try replying in a manner other than a blind fanboy.

I should stop posting because I don't believe a made up story about acc being effected from lag. Get over yourself. Ok, so saying acc isn't effect by lag is defending the game now? I'm just telling you how the system works. Believe what you want to believe, dude. You don't have any proof of it being effected by lag but you demand someone to believe this. :lol

notworksafe said:
You could always try...reading the whole post. :lol

I saw his whole post. So what that he went back to the same mobs. Acc does not get effected by lag.

notworksafe

Maybe yes, maybe no. There's no way to tell because Square are so scarce with any type of helpful info. It wouldn't even be the dumbest decision they've made for this game either.

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Maybe yes, maybe no. There's no way to tell because Square are so scarce with any type of helpful info. It wouldn't even be the dumbest decision they've made for this game either.

Or maybe I can tell by just playing the game myself. If it lags, it prevents me from even attacking. Not, letting me attack and making me miss. When it lags it won't let me do anything but chat. Once the lag goes away everything speeds up and goes back to normal letting me attack and when I miss its because the mob evaded or I couldn't hit him with my shitty acc.

notworksafe

Oh boy, here we go...

Cue 2-3 pages of Londa bitching that he's being attacked unfairly and people responding about his overly inflammatory posts. This may lead to bitching about FFXIV and unreasonable expectations from both sides. Expect liberal use of the words "fanboy", "easy mode", "challenge", and probably some clearly uninformed disses of both WoW and FFXI / FFXIV.

:lol

Salaadin

Accuracy seems to be shit for almost everyone. My Marauder will sometimes go multiple swings or weapon skills in a row without hitting and thats after I tried pouring the majority of my points into DEX. Either ACC is broken or enemies have ungodly high EVA. Theres also the issue that a lot of us are currently lacking in equipment to pad the necessary stats.

And just like the issue Unknown Soldier talked about, Ive noticed my Marauder get these odd ACC drop offs. Ill kill 15 mobs fine and then the next 10 will take forever as I spend the majority of the fight whiffing. I cant explain it.

It could be lag causing it, I dont know. But, theres also a ton of other factors in this game that could be causing it. Hell, for all we know SE might make ACC drop when its night time because our players cant see =P

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Oh boy, here we go...

Cue 2-3 pages of Londa bitching that he's being attacked unfairly and people responding about his overly inflammatory posts. This may lead to bitching about FFXIV and unreasonable expectations from both sides. Expect liberal use of the words "fanboy", "easy mode", "challenge", and probably some clearly uninformed disses of both WoW and FFXI / FFXIV.

:lol

Only in your mind Mrs. Notworksafe.

Me saying you don't miss because of lag is inflammatory?

Who was the first to take defense? Seems like unknown because as soon as I said no, you don't miss because of lag, he tells me outright to stop posting. But here I am being called blind. Very very typical of most of the posters here. Carry on with your exaggerations and made up issues.

Accuracy seems to be shit for almost everyone. My Marauder will sometimes go multiple swings or weapon skills in a row without hitting and thats after I tried pouring the majority of my points into DEX. Either ACC is broken or enemies have ungodly high EVA. Theres also the issue that a lot of us are currently lacking in equipment to pad the necessary stats.

And just like the issue Unknown Soldier talked about, Ive noticed my Marauder get these odd ACC drop offs. Ill kill 15 mobs fine and then the next 10 will take forever as I spend the majority of the fight whiffing. I cant explain it.

It could be lag causing it, I dont know. But, theres also a ton of other factors in this game that could be causing it. Hell, for all we know SE might make ACC drop when its night time because our players cant see =P

This is why I really want to use an axe that isn't level 1. I'm thinking some of this problem for Mar is because I have a level 1 axe. I haven't witnessed this lag thing. I have a terrible internet connection and I lagged and lost everyone when we went to that high level zone.

Thorhald

Getting back on track with a real question:

Being spoiled with WoW where there are quests that take you from lvl 1 to 80 ... in FFXIV, once you do your daily leve's [which is only a few at low level], do you just grind on mobs at that point to level up or is there something else i'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom