• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
From 10:00 to 12:00 (PDT) on Sep. 12, 2010, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

A good place to check for info like this is the official FFXIV beta site, which for some reason isn't linked from the OP nor does Square-Enix make it an obvious link.

Moobabe

I've finished the very first quest I got as fisherman - one that took me around the city, showed me the guilds etc But what now? I can't seem to get any leve quests from the camp outside Limsa - do I just have to keep fishing until I reach a certain rank/level before more quests open up to me?

nataku

Dreamwriter said:
For those wondering what video card to upgrade to, this is a great upgrade chart - any upgrade less than three tiers generally isn't worth it.

Eh, more than anything this game needs a really good CPU. I upgraded from an 8800GT 512MB to a GTX 460 1GB and the FPS I got barely improved. On both cards I get about 15-17 FPS in towns and camps. I get slightly better FPS in the field with the 460 than I did on the 8800GT, but that's about it.

I've got a Core2Duo 3.0GHz. SE says the minimum is a Core2Duo 2.0GHz, which is completely insane. The game is nearly unplayable on a dual core CPU because it simply can't keep up.

Ronok

Dreamwriter said:
From 10:00 to 12:00 (PDT) on Sep. 12, 2010, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

A good place to check for info like this is the official FFXIV beta site, which for some reason isn't linked from the OP nor does Square-Enix make it an obvious link.

When I said there was an error, I meant that the client crashed. If it was a normal error I'd have assumed it was maintenance. I guess it was related though.

Londa

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Got 200,000 gil? There was a guy in front of the Uldah repair NPC selling it.

no, just 124k, I guess I could leve leathercraft... But by the time I am able to make it, the beta will be over lol

Let me in

The game doesn't even utilize more than 50% of the CPU on my system anyway, yet 90-100% of the GPU, so would a CPU upgrade even do anything? Or is this game just thrown by more than two cores?

kiryogi

Banned
Jinko said:
Rank 8 bow can be bought in gridania for 14k btw.

Deffinately agree with what you are saying though, think we need to make a list of people who are willing to craft.

Add ya name to this list.
Jinko Jinko - Mining - Alchemy - Armorer
Eithne Rain - Mining - Botanist - Weaver - Goldsmith - Blacksmith

I think I'm spreading myself thin. But I find the gathering and crafting a ton of fun. At least it's nice being able to repair stuff for myself.

Gopsje

Geops Pluisje - Mining - Botanist - Weaver - Leather working - Goldsmith

Yeah its a long list but one simply cannot do one without the counter part it seems.

kiryogi

Banned
Gopsje said:

Yeah its a long list but one simply cannot do one without the counter part it seems.

Yup. In the end you need a bit from every single catagory if you want to make something. I figure in this case, let's cover each other on that?

vivin

Taru Taru - Fishing - Goldsmithing - Any subcraft needed for Goldsmithing

I'll be following a similar route as I did in FFXI, leveling 2 crafts that couldnt be more opposite :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah I think I'll do Armor making and mining. Seems like they go hand in hand

somesang

Let me in said:
The game doesn't even utilize more than 50% of the CPU on my system anyway, yet 90-100% of the GPU, so would a CPU upgrade even do anything? Or is this game just thrown by more than two cores?
All I know is with an i5 at stock and an hd5770, I had inconsistent performance, 15-60 fps. At 1600x900. Just oc'd to 4.0 and I have 60 fps almost always, unless I'm in Limsa which I thought was weird.

Zomba13

Back from ban.
I don't think I'll be in game until release now. Got BBS coming tomorrow (Hopefully. It should have been here Friday or today. Not ordering from thehut.com again) and Halo reach this week and I don't want to burn out on XIV before I actually own the game.

I've decided to start in Gridania, hopefully they don't patch the intro fight exp exploit so I can grind some easy skill on my main job there (1-5 rank and phys on marauder in like 15 mins was nice :D )

There's an exploit for the intro fight in Grid? Niiiiiiiiiiice. :lol

Yeah, I still don't want to start there. I hate that city and the surrounding region.

Velion

Jinko said:
I'd like to know what the exploit is lol
Happened to me during the start of beta when everyone flooded servers.

but...
Force DC after killing a couple of the mobs. When you log back in you'll have to redo the fight.

Cathcart

Jinko said:
Rank 8 bow can be bought in gridania for 14k btw.

Deffinately agree with what you are saying though, think we need to make a list of people who are willing to craft.

Add ya name to this list.

Taka Danobaba: Botany/Carpentry

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Haven't been paying much attention. Had fun with beta and stopped so I could get into the real meat of it when the game launches.

Anyways.

Are there plans to have mog houses or something similar?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Darsh Schneider - All

Yes. seriously. My physical level will be huge ya'll. =P

Darsh Schneider - All
Silicon Xtal - Alchemy

I was just going to focus on Alchemy, but everyone else is doing multiple crafting jobs, so I guess I should choose more.

What will compliment Alchemy?

Gopsje

LeoStenbuck said:
I was just going to focus on Alchemy, but everyone else is doing multiple crafting jobs, so I guess I should choose more.

What will compliment Alchemy?

So far most have been resources from trees and such. So Botany is the right land job thingy.
But if you're really looking for crafting only I'd say Culinary. Alchemy makes salts and eatable stuff too.

Meeru

Banned
Darsh Schneider - All
Meeru Eilanden - Mining - Botanist - Fishing - Leather working - Culinarian
Woot top chef

Zomba13

Munba said:
Here is a very nice 'professional' (lol) explanation of Fatigue System:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM
Nice explanation. It's still a load of bullshit though. There shouldn't be any type of limit for growth, especially when some of the exp and skill needed for later levels gets really big.
I don't know if I'll run into it, I only ran into it in closed beta phase 3, but I'm sure I'll play it more 'hardcore' at release. Even if I never see it it's still a stupid system designed to slow players progression so SE have more time to add end game content and players have to pay more.

Londa

Banned
Munba said:
Here is a very nice 'professional' (lol) explanation of Fatigue System:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

Yeah, its clear to me that SE paid these people to make that video. I'm actually more annoyed by the video than anything else. SE needs to remove this system and stop paying people to convince gamers to like it. Why should someone that puts a lot of effort into the game stay as the same level as a casual? I don't care if they have 5 jobs at the same level as the one job the casual has. Who in the right mind would even concider a Final Fantasy game casual anyways? I don't know any casuals that even play Final Fantasy.

If I play a MONTHY FEE I should be able to exp one job to the top (not 5 jobs to equal the level of one casual) without having to wait for a casual to catch up to me.

Youtube Comment:
Great production value, bad gameplay concept. Do you work as a hidden agent for SE or do you do it for free? If you do it for free, then you're a fool.

:lol

Sin

Is there maintenance right now or something?

Game was working fine this morning but now after I press Start at the Title Screen the game crashes. :/

Jinko

Fatigue doesn't bother me, I have been leveling quite a bit and not run into it in open beta (level 16 archer/23 physcial) I think 16-17 levels for the first week isn't too bad.

None of us will be able to play hardcore because we will all need to craft to get gear, so yea when i see fatigue then maybe I will think differently until them its just something I won't experience and if I do then its hardly the end of the world.

Londa

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Kotaku does the FFXIV troll: http://kotaku.com/5636464/this-part-of-final-fantasy-xiv-seems-familiar/

Talking about how parts of maps share the same or similar geography. I never noticed it but when I saw a picture pointing it out then you see it. Still, you don't see it unless you actively look for it as the copied bits are far apart.

lol its like Kotaku writers have never played a game. Mostly every game has copied bits it in. New at 11. :lol :lol

Cathcart

Seriously. You know how I knew Blizzard put in a lot of work on Wrath of the Lich King? Because they designed a new cave. Blew my mind. For four years every time you saw a cave in a mountain you knew it was 99% chance of it being one of two caves.

Thoraxes

Zomba13 said:
Kotaku does the FFXIV troll: http://kotaku.com/5636464/this-part-of-final-fantasy-xiv-seems-familiar/

Talking about how parts of maps share the same or similar geography. I never noticed it but when I saw a picture pointing it out then you see it. Still, you don't see it unless you actively look for it as the copied bits are far apart.

I'll bet you if they slightly changed the shape of all of those on the map nobody would ever notice them in-game no matter how hward they looked.

Either way, that story is pretty: :lol

Salaadin

Zomba13 said:

Yeah thats not something I wouldve ever realized unless someone else pointed it out to me.

Ive been keeping the gaffer XIV list updated HERE.

Its getting a little difficult to read so I put in onto a spreadsheet and sorted it
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

Ill keep both updated. Again, if you need to be added, removed, or need something changed, just let me know by PM or by quoting this post.
Try not to quote the post containing the names because it just makes the thread look silly and hard to scroll through.

Meeru

Banned
Salaadin said:
Yeah thats not something I wouldve ever realized unless someone else pointed it out to me.

Its getting a little difficult to read so I put in onto a spreadsheet and sorted it
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

Ill keep both updated. Again, if you need to be added, removed, or need something changed, just let me know by PM or by quoting this post.
Try not to quote the post containing the names because it just makes the thread look silly and hard to scroll through.
Can you add the disciples that we are going to do as well? That way we can even it out

Khrno

Londa said:
lol its like Kotaku writers have never played a game. Mostly every game has copied bits it in. New at 11. :lol :lol

In this day an age unless designers hand-draw a game 100% from beginning to finish, there is no forgiveness.The funny thing is that this happens on 99.9% of all games.

Re-using assets to improve efficiency and resources in a game, who invented such blasphemy!! Next article will be: FFXIV reuses enemies models, just applying different colours.

Londa

Banned
Khrno said:
In this day an age unless designers hand-draw a game 100% from beginning to finish, there is no forgiveness.The funny thing is that this happens on 99.9% of all games.

Re-using assets to improve efficiency and resources in a game, who invented such blasphemy!! Next article will be: FFXIV reuses enemies models, just applying different colours.

I was kind of shocked that it wasn't an article on how there is no AH at launch. That would have been a better complaint than this.

Re-using stuff is fine, but it *is* noticable without looking for it. Me and my friends decided to walk from Gridania to Ul'Duh. We noticed that we kept crossing the exact same river at the exact same places, and there was the exact same trick corner with a bush blocking the view of the way you had to go over and over (triggering conversations like "There's the bush again - make sure you head around it rather than continuing straight!")

Salaadin

valenti said:
Can you add the disciples that we are going to do as well? That way we can even it out

Done so far on the spreadsheet. Maybe you guys can post your DoW jobs as well so I can add those.

Once we get the server out of the way, I can delete that column and make the spreadsheet a little easier to navigate. Its all a little jumbled right now.

kiryogi

Banned
Salaadin said:
Done so far on the spreadsheet. Maybe you guys can post your DoW jobs as well so I can add those.

Once we get the server out of the way, I can delete that column and make the spreadsheet a little easier to navigate. Its all a little jumbled right now.

Eithne Rain - Gladiator - Pugilist

So is there any kind of cap yet on crafts, or could you max them all?

As I'll be a melee, I'll probably be going armorer and blacksmith for the time being.

Decay24

Neo Member
Salaadin said:

Archer, Carpenter, Weaver, and Botanist are what I'll start out with at launch for classes.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
demosthenes said:
So is there any kind of cap yet on crafts, or could you max them all?

As I'll be a melee, I'll probably be going armorer and blacksmith for the time being.

I don't expect them to be capped. Their cap probably is level 50 each. Otherwise, SE can shove it up their ass by calling them "classes" in their poor marketing attempt to say they have "18 classes" at launch. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom