• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kintaro said:
I don't expect them to be capped. Their cap probably is level 50 each. Otherwise, SE can shove it up their ass by calling them "classes" in their poor marketing attempt to say they have "18 classes" at launch. :lol

Ohhhh, you're right!

Yea, that would be really weird if they capped them at some kind of total. Awesome, I'm going to start leveling them all through leves until I decide what I want to excel at.

Salaadin

Are the job abbreviations on eorzeapedia correct? BSM or blacksmith instead of BLK? Some are so close too like GLA for Gladiator and then GLD for Goldsmith.

nataku

Salaadin said:
Are the job abbreviations on eorzeapedia correct? BSM or blacksmith instead of BLK? Some are so close too like GLA for Gladiator and then GLD for Goldsmith.

Dunno. You would think Goldsmith would be GSM, since they list Blacksmith as BSM. When I see GLD I think Gladiator.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
nataku said:
Dunno. You would think Goldsmith would be GSM, since they list Blacksmith as BSM. When I see GLD I think Gladiator.

The jobs are listed on the equipment themselves. So, they would be official, yes.

Jinko

Zalasta said:
Does anybody remember if there was a limit to how many items you can put up in the AH in FFXI and WoW?

7 on FF11

There is a limit on WoW but its massive and you would have to sell all your items in stacks of 1 to hit the cap.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy crap, those fieldcraft leves give a ridiculous amount of EXP, especially with Guardian Aspect invoked.

Is there any advantage of doing fieldcraft leves in a party?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zomba13 said:
Back from ban.
I don't think I'll be in game until release now. Got BBS coming tomorrow (Hopefully. It should have been here Friday or today. Not ordering from thehut.com again) and Halo reach this week and I don't want to burn out on XIV before I actually own the game.

I've decided to start in Gridania, hopefully they don't patch the intro fight exp exploit so I can grind some easy skill on my main job there (1-5 rank and phys on marauder in like 15 mins was nice :D )
Does the same exploit work with the jellyfish battle in Limsa?

notworksafe

Jinko said:
7 on FF11

There is a limit on WoW but its massive and you would have to sell all your items in stacks of 1 to hit the cap.
Had a guild member that hit it once while selling glyphs. It's around 1500. :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OK, I think this is gonna be my plan of action for when retail hits. I'll be Marauder as main with a CON/THA helping out. I really think a Lancer would help this combo out well, so if any of you want to main Lancer, you may be able to join us.

Start game, Limsa hometown; start as main class. Do the exploit (if possible) to gain levels by killing jellyfish during the intro. Maybe until level 5-ish or so.

Do main storyline quest to get 30,000 gil. Buy miner's gear.

Have one party member get the tutorial mining leve. Initiate and share with other party members, everyone gets guardian aspect -> proceed to get lots of physical EXP to increase physical level. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Use the regular fieldcraft leves, if necessary, too.

Switch back to main class. Go and level in my super secret leveling spots until around level 10. Alternately, if that doesn't work too well, do some level 10 levequests to see if the SP/EXP gain is better.

Do rank 20 leves for the nice equipment rewards. Continue leveling main class with a combo of leves and good ol' fashioned EXP grinding.

If/When fatigue starts setting in, switch to sub-job and level that.

???

Profit.

Any crystals and materials that I get in this process will go to whomever is doing crafting from the start (Zomba, Geops, etc), free of charge, as always.

What do you guys think?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zomba13 said:
Should do. It's most efficient in Gridania due to the 3 wolves. It'll work in all the intro battles.
Cool. I don't want to star in Gridania, though. It takes way too long to walk between camps, and I haven't found as many good exp grinding spots in Grid as I have found in Uldah and Limsa regions.

DrDogg

Jinko Jinko - Mining - Alchemy - Armorer
Eithne Rain - Mining - Botanist - Weaver - Goldsmith - Blacksmith
Geops Pluisje - Mining - Botanist - Weaver - Leather working - Goldsmith
Taru Taru - Fishing - Goldsmithing - Any subcraft needed for Goldsmithing
Darsh Schneider - All
Meeru Eilanden - Mining - Botanist - Fishing - Leather working - Culinarian
Doctor Dogg - Alchemist - Weaver - Leather working - Woodworking - Goldsmith - Culinarian - Armorer - Blacksmith

Culinarian will be secondary to the rest at first since I don't think food will be a hot item at launch.

I'll also be leveling CON and THA, but I refuse to party unless SE fixes the system or you guys really need a proper healer/buffer.

By the time the game releases, I should be done with all of my work for the next month or so (at least) so I will be on all day every day until my next project. Hopefully I can get my crafting up fast enough to keep up with the melee classes in the LS so I can keep you geared.

I'll be starting in Ul'Dah, but going to LL fairly early to get the teleports there, then eventually to Gridania a little later to get those teleports.

I really want to create a second character, name him Tarutaru Paladin and just level GLA... but I probably won't.

P.S. F-U SE for a terrible party system and a terrible AH system. But I'll still play your game... :lol

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
What do you guys think?

Think its a good idea, but could become very boring doing the tutorial and field leves (remember fieldleves and battleleves count as the same 8), think im just guna take it easy and enjoy the game, start off crafting after I do the main quest.

Probably guna go Lancer or Archer, once archer gets multishot they become crazy overpowered.

vivin

Rentahamster said:
What do you guys think?

That sounds like a very thought out plan :p.

I'm curious about the guardian aspect. Does that change depending on which one you choose? I dont remember my guardian aspect giving any sort of exp buff

Rentahamster said:
OK, I think this is gonna be my plan of action for when retail hits. I'll be Marauder as main with a CON/THA helping out. I really think a Lancer would help this combo out well, so if any of you want to main Lancer, you may be able to join us.

Start game, Limsa hometown; start as main class. Do the exploit (if possible) to gain levels by killing jellyfish during the intro. Maybe until level 5-ish or so.

Have one party member get the tutorial mining leve. Initiate and share with other party members, everyone gets guardian aspect -> proceed to get lots of physical EXP to increase physical level. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Use the regular fieldcraft leves, if necessary, too.

Switch back to main class. Go and level in my super secret leveling spots until around level 10. Alternately, if that doesn't work too well, do some level 10 levequests to see if the SP/EXP gain is better.

Do rank 20 leves for the nice equipment rewards. Continue leveling main class with a combo of leves and good ol' fashioned EXP grinding.

???

Profit.

Any crystals and materials that I get in this process will go to whomever is doing crafting from the start (Zomba, Geops, etc), free of charge, as always.

What do you guys think?

What do you need a lancer for? I'm planning on going Archer/Pugilist, if you want another and either of those classes is of use to you (and I don't annoy you too much :lol), then I'd be happy to join you.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Think its a good idea, but could become very boring doing the tutorial and field leves (remember fieldleves and battleleves count as the same 8), think im just guna take it easy and enjoy the game, start off crafting after I do the main quest.

Probably guna go Lancer or Archer, once archer gets multishot they become crazy overpowered.
The tutorial and field leves don't take that long to do, and they give buckets of physical EXP, which would be good for stat point gains. I was only planning on spending an hour or so on it. At lower physical levels, the 500 or so EXP gained per successful mine is a good percentage of your TNL.

Battle leves seem to be kinda inefficient for skill gains and kinda random. Sometimes, they're too hard and take too long, other times they're too easy and end too soon.

Kandinsky

Rentahamster said:

???

Profit.

What do you guys think?
:lol

Kronotech

Unknown Soldier said:
What do you need a lancer for? I'm planning on going Archer/Pugilist, if you want another and either of those classes is of use to you (and I don't annoy you too much :lol), then I'd be happy to join you.

Lancer for the status effects, I believe. If I end up joining at retail, that's what I'm leaning towards.

hgplayer1

Canti said:
I... Uhh... Is there some kind of benefit in rushing that I am not understanding?

Dont mind him. He's goofy.

I'm not going to be in that big a hurry to level up right away but what I am going to do is travel to the other two cities and collect all the tele points to open up my traveling options.

This is assuming not much changes from the open beta.

I'm gonna concentrate mainly on battlecraft leves and progressing through the main quest. I'll grab all the battlecraft leves in LL then go to one of the other two cities and grab 4 there. I may even check all cities and try to only pick up leves with armor rewards.

Meeru

Banned
Did we decide what server we are going to meet in?

I think we should also do a which city we will start in as well :lol

hgplayer1 said:
m not going to be in that big a hurry to level up right away but what I am going to do is travel to the other two cities and collect all the tele points to open up my traveling options.

This is assuming not much changes from the open beta.
Here's hoping it does change, and we get a whole slew of high-level aggro-monsters on the road between the towns. Doubt it'll happen, though...

I wouldn't be surprised if the teleporting changes drastically at launch - why would anyone use the airships if you could just teleport everywhere?

jiggle

update for mine
Lindblum-Limsa-Conj/Archer/Miner/Weaver/Carpenter/Goldsmith

managed to convince a few ppl to sway LS voting to Lindblum :eek:

Salaadin

Atrus

Gold Member
Played a bit of the beta this weekend on Figaro. Made 3 characters in each city and leveled to PGL10/PHYS12. We did about... 10 or 12 rank 10 leves in total and I got around to exploring. All towns appear to be useless in beta but hopefully it'll be possible to set homepoints there given their distance away from Aetherites. Cities themselves were great but Gridania is clearly the worst of the 3. Looks nice but is just a navigational pain especially when the quest directs you to that out of the way Conjurer's guild.

A big issue is the scattered nature of the mob placement. The world is massive, with tons of nooks and crannies to run into (like that town-camp of refugees from Ala Migho) but at the moment you can have an entire interior of a Mesa with just 1 Quiqern Merc in it.

Beastmen themselves are currently isolated. I thought to run to Zanr'ak for Amal'ja but there were just the Pug types. City or camp may be a dungeon elsewhere. I did notice an unnamed dungeon that was locked near a ton of Flamedrake spawns but doubt that's it.

Haven't done crafting yet, but there's clearly a ton of content they're hopefully keeping for launch (quests, mog house, towns, dungeons). At the same time, the GUI is still terrible. The number of menu's aren't streamlined, the targeting is poor, and a number of other technical issues which don't appear to be fixed yet.

Tried the Bazaar system but it's terrible and in no way is stopping the player bazaar camps that are now forming around the repair NPC, the NPC shops and the N entrance of Ul'dah. I see nothing really unique or special about it since player bazaars tend to be superior anyway and you get to interact with them.

Still looking forward to launch though. I'll probably start Shard as a Pug at Ul'dah and have the Rog in the picture be a Weaver/Mage build for much later. Just haven't decided on a server yet.

Salaadin

Atrus said:
All towns appear to be useless in beta but hopefully it'll be possible to set homepoints there given their distance away from Aetherites. .

Each town also has an Aertheryte that you can home point to just like the camps.

Atrus

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
Each town also has an Aertheryte that you can home point to just like the camps.

That's what I figured but I couldn't see one. I think I've hit them all except the ones in Coerthas and I haven't been to Mor'Dhona yet, so there as well (if any). I'll probably do more scouting before beta ends.

Kandinsky

I hate that you have to set your HP when accepting a battle/field leve, but i guess it makes sense :/

Anyways i think im done with the beta, so if anyone want my gil/materials letme know:D

The biggest problem the Aetheryte crystals is that the moment you touch one, you are set to that crystal as the home point. That means you can't home point in a city and then run out to do some leves and teleport back when you're done for free, the moment you touch the crystal in camp to start the leve, you're homepointed there. In essence, all teleporting in this game practically requires anima at least one way, you can deathport back but you need to spend anima to get there first.

I must be crazy, I'm seriously thinking about a computer upgrade now just for this game.

Current general idea:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P (I love Gigabyte boards)
Intel Core i7-870 (OCed until it cries)
8GB of DDR3-something RAM
new heatsink (old one won't fit Socket 1156)

I already have a single GTX 470 which I OC to 760/1520/1850 but depending how the machine performs with a new CPU, I might add a second one for SLI. Apparently this game scales very nicely with SLI/Crossfire as long as you aren't badly CPU constrained, and I think i7-860 pushing 4 ghz should be enough CPU to get the benefits of SLI.

zlatko

Banned
I tapped out of beta yesterday. Made it almost 19 marauder, 21 physical, 13 pugilist, 11 miner, 8 armorer, and a few others. I'm aboard the Reach hype train right now and I will ride that till Sept 22nd.

Good beta experience overall for me. Rocky as hell start, but I know I will be playing this game for longer than I care to admit. :D

Meeru

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The biggest problem the Aetheryte crystals is that the moment you touch one, you are set to that crystal as the home point. That means you can't home point in a city and then run out to do some leves and teleport back when you're done for free, the moment you touch the crystal in camp to start the leve, you're homepointed there. In essence, all teleporting in this game practically requires anima at least one way, you can deathport back but you need to spend anima to get there first.

I must be crazy, I'm seriously thinking about a computer upgrade now just for this game.

Current general idea:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P (I love Gigabyte boards)
Intel Core i7-870 (OCed until it cries)
8GB of DDR3-something RAM
new heatsink (old one won't fit Socket 1156)

I already have a single GTX 470 which I OC to 760/1520/1850 but depending how the machine performs with a new CPU, I might add a second one for SLI. Apparently this game scales very nicely with SLI/Crossfire as long as you aren't badly CPU constrained, and I think i7-860 pushing 4 ghz should be enough CPU to get the benefits of SLI.
Go for it man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom