• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
LaneDS said:
Saw the ATI problem first hand. Tried playing on my rig and had unplayable framerates near Bearded Rock. Had my roommate login on his machine. He's got an 8800GT while I've got an HD5770, similar specs for everything else, both running Win7 64-bit. Whereas it was unplayable on my machine, it ran passably on his.

Square is going to need to work miracles on this game in the next two months if they want to have any chance of a successful launch.

With how successful ATI has been with their nicely priced cards and how many are out there, I have to agree. Well, I agree the ATI shit needs fixed asap.

I honestly don't comprehend SE's current beta plans. Weird schedules and time frames for a closed beta for a game two months out from launch is just strange to me. Unless launch is the beta, in which case...that's not good. =/

LaneDS

Kintaro said:
With how successful ATI has been with their nicely priced cards and how many are out there, I have to agree. Well, I agree the ATI shit needs fixed asap.

I honestly don't comprehend SE's current beta plans. Weird schedules and time frames for a closed beta for a game two months out from launch is just strange to me. Unless launch is the beta, in which case...that's not good. =/

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not as hopeful as some folks are who think Square has a drastically more polished and full version just waiting in the wings. What they're doing with this beta is generating bad PR from people like me who desperately want to love their game and are left incredulous as how woefully unfinished it is.

C'mon Square, prove this naysayer wrong :(

Ravidrath

I think I'm pretty much done with the beta, unless they add some more zones or content to test.

As pretty as La Noscea is, I've now added every Node and Gate and am bored of the zone and not being able to kill most of the things I see.

I went from Rank 6 to 8 tonight, and can't imagine getting to 10 so I can do some more Guildleves...

Regarding the state of the beta and the September launch date... I think they're (making the mistake of) approaching this like they do their FFXI updates. There will be a Beta 2 that will have a ton of fixes and new stuff in a few weeks, rather than a steady stream of little fixes and updates.

Zomba13

That was fun partying with Teknoman and MCX. Did some exploring too and got way up north to a part we couldn't get past. Beat up on a nasty flower too.

I've just made an Elezen and tried to put him on gabranth and see if I can connect to try out some of the jobs I havn't played yet untill Shadowlord goes back up.

Been killing stuff on my own for quite a while now, and haven't seen any chests. Do they only pop during guildleves? I could use some extra cash..

RuGalz

HappyBivouac said:
Been killing stuff on my own for quite a while now, and haven't seen any chests. Do they only pop during guildleves? I could use some extra cash..
Chests are just there, they dont drop from enemies, with this many ppl chances are they pop opened :p

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
HappyBivouac said:

Yes they do, but random, anyway opened 2 today and one was 60g and the other 72g

Oh it seem they solved the login problem.

We are happy to announced that the previously announced login congestion has eased and players should now be able to login properly.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

So I'm more likely to find random chests by just running around?

Also: has anyone figured out how "wear" works? I noticed I was doing less damage and getting a bit beat up by the same mobs I had been grinding on, so I checked my gear for durability. Is it dead when it reaches 0, or when it reaches max? Also, I started checking in between fights and the numbers weren't changing at all.

For example my great axe is at 48502/97600, but i'm sure i'm doing less damage than I did before. Anyone know what's going on?

Ronok

FFS! I still can't login, this is just like the last beta test for me. The beta site says they have solved the issues, but I'm not seeing evidence of this.

Teknoman

The game performs alot smoother outside for me now. Even near Bearded rock, aside from loading people studders...still have depth of field and ambient turned off.
Behests are kinds cool since after you kill whatever the random NPC wants, a boss monster appears. I'd like to see what the other camp behest bosses are.

Oh and as far as normal problems go, they need to fix the text scroll speed. Not sure if lag has an effect, but sometimes they'll throw a large paragraph in all at once...while other times it'll scroll like a normal jrpg conversation. Need to brighten up the font abit too, since sometimes it'll start blending in when scrolling fast. I also need to figure out the best way to use Skewer, and to keep in mind that I can attack from a distance. Got 1k+ gil so far and I havent sold anything or finished Treasures of the main yet.

Ronok said:
FFS! I still can't login, this is just like the last beta test for me. The beta site says they have solved the issues, but I'm not seeing evidence of this.

If you are on Shadowlord or Garland, maintenance atm. All other servers should be fine for now.

Gromph

Staff Member
Teckno! You have one image with your name on. The Cheer one:p

Teknoman

EDIT: just to be on the safe side...they'll be around later.

Better have some more test times this week...still need to figure out battle regimen.

Gromph

Staff Member
Teknoman said:
EDIT: just to be on the safe side...they'll be around later.

Better have some more test times this week...still need to figure out battle regimen.

I can play in about 5-6 hours, so im up for pt and tests.

Burli

Pringo
Ugh, still getting constant timeouts.

Made 3 characters trying a different server on each with no success, now I can't even get to the character selection screen.

Burli

Pringo
I don't really get how it can be this bad, I mean I'm no MMO creator but considering they've already had an alpha, have had almost a week to fix this, know exactly how many people will be trying to log-in (maximum), have already successfully run an MMO for ~5 years and are releasing this game in just a couple of months... You would think they'd know how to avoid this stuff.

Londa

Banned
will be missing out on this session. Have work all day and yesterday I needed sleep instead of staying up waiting for the game to open. There is always next time.

I wanna see more video's of people playing in parties.

Burli

Pringo
To be honest I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up in another cancellation, the servers have been down for some time now.

Gromph

Staff Member
Yes, they are down.

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties that may prevent testers from logging in.

To address this issue, we will be conducting maintenance at the below time. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.
* The Beta Test Site will still be available.

Please be advised that the maintenance completion time is not yet determined.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
From Jul. 21, 2010 at 1:40 (PDT)
* Completion time of maintenance is subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

Gromph

Staff Member
My character so far.

rrqyb9.png

chris-013

Before the down I completed the guildleves rank 10 and they are hard ! :lol
I'm rank 11 physical, rank 7 marauder and rank 5 pugilist... maybe they mean rank 10 for a class ?

Gromph

Staff Member
Yes i think they mean "Class" Anyway when servers up i will check, you can see in leve description Recomended "Class Rank"

chris-013

Yeah you are right, I remember now.
Rank 10 for discipline of war and magic.

Edit: Btw, the game run really great with the 9800M GTS on my laptop in 1680x1050 with DoF and AAx2 !

Gromph

Staff Member
chris-013 said:
Yeah you are right, I remember now.
Rank 10 for discipline of war and magic.

Edit: Btw, the game run really great with the 9800M GTS on my laptop in 1680x1050 with DoF and AAx2 !

I'm running with a 9800 GTX+ And it works very nice, really considering to upgrade or not.

Maybe i will wait at launch.

And i think if this runs for more time, they will cancel the beta again :( i hope not!

Gromph

Staff Member
Ronok said:
I really can't believe SE are struggling so much with this, it's painful to watch. :(

The servers are up. Omw to @home, see you all online! :)

Kyoufu

MCX said:
Seriously. I haven't been able to reconnect since Shadowlord went down for maintenance last night.

I couldn't even get on last night because of queues.

FUCKING QUEUES IN A BETA WHAT IS THIS MADNESS

I only want to see if the bloody thing will run on my comp as if it cant I wont be playing as I have shit loads of stuff to save for an a £600+ PC is pretty low on the list :lol

toneedo

Neo Member
Johnlenham said:
I only want to see if the bloody thing will run on my comp as if it cant I wont be playing as I have shit loads of stuff to save for an a £600+ PC is pretty low on the list :lol

you can just run the ffxiv benchmark, if you system gets anything over 2000+ its playable.

toneedo said:
you can just run the ffxiv benchmark, if you system gets anything over 2000+ its playable.
Yeah it got 2.4k or something but I want to see it in motion. I only managed the boat bit before heading to work and then its been down since.

Kuro268

Neo Member
Final Fantasy 14: The Logging.

Its like I get ACC dice rolls...

1 going from Title -> Character Select. Another going from Character Select -> Queue. Finally another going from Queue -> Game.

Salaadin

toneedo said:

The benchmark is kinda stupid though. Plus the game itself is broken right now with some cards. I get almost a 4000 in the bench but since I have an ATI card, the game is going to run choppy until SE fixes it.

Jinko

Got to rank 10 Gladitor, have to say the whole hide behind the shield mechanic is awesome.

Taking Dodo's out easily now, have second wind subbed from Pug helps :)

Done 3-4 skull rock leves which I found quite easy, got some decent armour from them.

Been kicked off now though and can't get back on. :(

Salaadin

Jinko said:
Got to rank 10 Gladitor, have to say the whole hide behind the shield mechanic is awesome.

Taking Dodo's out easily now, have second wind subbed from Pug helps :)

Done 3-4 skull rock leves which I found quite easy, got some decent armour from them.

Been kicked off now though and can't get back on. :(
Are you an ATI owner? Hows your card holding up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom