• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

At the moment all armour comes from crafting and leves, you can get some decent stuff from skull rock and bloodshore leves.

Might be worth looking in the marketward but good luck in finding a retainer with the items you want with no search function.

LaneDS

Baloonatic said:
You can buy weapons and shiels a bit north of the blacksmith guild. Couldn't find armour but I'm sure there's some somewhere.

Does this include pugilist weapons higher than the ones you start with? I remember buying a cheap weapon, but can't recall if they sold better stuff. I want to say they did and that it was rather expensive. Anyone recall the prices on those?

Corum

When I try to get the Camp Skull leves, it gives me this message:

"You have no exchangable leves"

Is it possible I can remove some on my leves to make room?

Ronok

I am trying to work out the best way to play thaumaturge solo, and I'm not really sure what to do. I mean I could team up, but it's not like XI where you had a set time that was good to do that. Anyone want to give me some advice? lol

Also, what is the best way to distribute attribute points for thaumaturge? :lol

Corum

MomoPufflet said:
I was wondering this as well. Anyone know?

To change your class you have to equip the relevant weapon, e.g sword for gladiator, staff for conjuror etc. Weapons can be bought for 120 (gold? Forgot what the currency is) in the main city.

Ronok said:
Also, what is the best way to distribute attribute points for thaumaturge? :lol

STR - Increase Physical Attack
DEX - Increase Physical Hit Chance
VIT - Increase Physical Defence
MIN - Increase Magic Defence
INT - Increase Magic Attack
PIE - Increase Magic Hit Chance

I don't play a Thaumaturge but I think I would concentrate mainly on Intelligence and Piety, with Vitality thrown to survive whilst soloing.

hgplayer1

MomoPufflet said:
I was wondering this as well. Anyone know?

Changing jobs is as simple as changing the weapon you have equipped. The only requirement is you must be in passive mode to do this.

I'm not sure if you can change mid battle as I havent tried it but I havent heard anything about a restriction for changing jobs other than needing to be in passive mode.

I am trying to work out the best way to play thaumaturge solo, and I'm not really sure what to do. I mean I could team up, but it's not like XI where you had a set time that was good to do that. Anyone want to give me some advice? lol

I soloed thaumaturge from like 1-4 at physical level 12 or so. I didnt find it all that difficult as long as I could find a decent supply of mobs. I died a lot in the process but theres no real penalty so just keep trying and gettin as many kills as you can.

Corum said:
To change your class you have to equip the relevant weapon, e.g sword for gladiator, staff for conjuror etc. Weapons can be bought for 120 (gold? Forgot what the currency is) in the main city.

Ah, so is this how you do a profession too? (eg, to become a Miner, equip a pickaxe).

That's really confusing because the profession weapons explicitly say "Requires [profession] lv. 1".

Lots of confusing stuff in this game though. Really spoiled by games like WoW that actually give you direction, I suppose.

Burli

Pringo
Starting to really enjoy aspects of the game, the Levequests are enjoyable if somewhat limited, but I have faith in them providing some diversity with these. There's already signs of it in this beta. I like the way you get equipment from them, can imagine later on there'll be some really epic Levequests with great armour drops.

Just started experimenting with skills on my battle bar, I like the new TP system aswell as the varying way in which the moves can be used, or the different effects they have - this really means than even melee classes have a lot more to do than they did in FFXI.

Teleporting is something FFXI really needed, cuts out unnecessary travelling and speeds up the game.

My biggest problem with the beta at the moment is probably a glitch, when starting Levequests, there's a number of things that can go wrong, and as a result - you lose the quest, and from what I've seen, you don't get another go.

In one quest I got the glitch where you can't attack, had to log out and in - lost the quest.

In another the enemies I was supposed to be fighting weren't spawning, and I wasn't being shown on the map where any of them could be, as a result I had to abandon the quest, losing access to it altogether.

I can imagine anything along these lines has the same result, disconnecting, game freezing etc. All of these will lose you access to the quest - I'm not sure why you can't just retry them, unless there's a time limit? It really needs addressing.

Good to see the changes they're planning on making - addresses a lot of the problems.

Sacha

Technical question : I'm meeting the minimum requirements with an AMD X2 215 @ 2,70Ghz and 4GB RAM. Which graphic card should I buy to run the game (more or less) smoothly ? I don't mind the price, whatever it is !

Burli said:
I can imagine anything along these lines has the same result, disconnecting, game freezing etc. All of these will lose you access to the quest - I'm not sure why you can't just retry them, unless there's a time limit? It really needs addressing.

Good to see the changes they're planning on making - addresses a lot of the problems.

You can repeat GuildLeves every 48 hours IIRC so even if they don't implement a fix for losing a quest on disconnect you can just do it a couple of days later.

Had the No Attack bug twice today :/ first time since I started playing the beta. Can't even log out when it happens had to Alt-Tab the client and log back in. Got to Level 13/Rank 8 though ^^

Teknoman

Need to get one of these:

Bronze Spatha -
1 bronze spatha blade, 1 aldgoat horn sword grip, 1 slate-grey sheep leather-bound swordguard, 1 handful of brass rivets, 1 block of animal glue

I dont think the slate grey color matters much, since every armor and weapon seems to be able to have a different color finish. I've seen the same level bronze chainmail with several different color finishes for the main body section of the armor.

Burli

Pringo
MiloFoxburr said:
You can repeat GuildLeves every 48 hours IIRC so even if they don't implement a fix for losing a quest on disconnect you can just do it a couple of days later.

I still think this is pretty unnecessary - especially with the limited play time of the beta, and also the limited amount of things to do.

I don't think there's any real reason to stop access to a Levequest for 48 hours after something goes wrong, in FFXI if you died, you'd just try again.

Londa

Banned
everytime I do a level quest I get glitched... I'm standing right in front of the bat but it saids I can not reach the bat....

then I got the could not hit glitch lol

MCX

Banned
Burli said:
I still think this is pretty unnecessary - especially with the limited play time of the beta, and also the limited amount of things to do.

I don't think there's any real reason to stop access to a Levequest for 48 hours after something goes wrong, in FFXI if you died, you'd just try again.
Yeah, what's up with that? It's not like there's shit else for testers to do in the beta.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow this game is pretty rad. It's the first MMORPG I actually stop to listen to what the NPCs have to say story-wise for some reason (well, other than LOTRO. But I'm a LOTR geek). Good music too.

Only thing is the controls are INSUFFERABLE on the default model. Is there any way to change it in the BETA? So many things I would change with my controls if I could, urgh :lol

Zomba13

I think I'm done for the day. Upgraded to a bronze dagger and I've hit Phys 16 Glad 9. Don't think I'll be conj on release unless they change the way you get MP back. Preferably either letting it regen with HP when you have no weapon out (maybe at a slower rate) or decrease the recast time of Tranquillity and the Thaum one to like 10mins or something. It sucks either having to only use Spirit Dart when out of MP (yay ~20 dmg! -.-) or trek all the way back to an aetherite node/gate.
I reckon I'll be a Glad at release. I'm enjoying the shield mechanics and I really liked PLD in XI (Taru PLD = Impossible to Gauge!!!)

Narag

I'm really liking Marauder myself. Bloodbath & defender seems to give me some lasting power so we'll see how that goes. I was rather irritated I was so tired last night. Found a completely empty camp in some cave godknoswhere and had every spawn to myself.

Teknoman

elbjwn.jpg

2vcz7n5.jpg

29ohhy0.jpg

33caw48.jpg

2u428lf.jpg

2exncpf.jpg

91hzyb.jpg

219e32c.jpg

5123ic.jpg

4hv0ye.jpg

2s6oqd5.jpg

p8zv7.jpg

es97bm.jpg

25rknix.jpg

6pol0l.jpg

wl8z6t.jpg

22f287.jpg

Khrno

I got the 10.7 ATI drivers and after installing them, I didn't have any more crashes at all with my 3870!

So with the beta playable, I could actually get around crowded areas, do levequests, do the Main quest and wanderer around for a bit, only played for 2 hours, but did enough and had lots of fun.

The same issues as last test remain, and hopefully all that will be addressed by release time, so issues aside, I'm very happy with how this game is and the way it works. What a trully fantastic game, can't wait for the full (as in retail) version.

Now I'm not worried about the game having a good launch, or having enough content for the first six months, or anything like that, I'm worried to mess up my life with it :lol

Oh, and a sighting:

ffxivgame_2010-07-27_20-26-08-94.jpg

Teknoman

Yeah, whats with those UFOs all over the place? Airships?

Also is La Noscea a region, or a single zone area like Gustaburg? Its huge and there are lots of cave areas, some leading to ports, small fortresses, or NPCs that tell you areas are under investigation.

EDIT: Marauder is pretty fun, and not only does it seem capable wrecking stuff, you actually feel like you're wrecking stuff :lol Axe impact sound effects are really loud and powerful sounding, and steadfast stance just = not moving (you get a parry bonus for just standing still in active mode).

LaneDS

Amir0x said:
Wow this game is pretty rad. It's the first MMORPG I actually stop to listen to what the NPCs have to say story-wise for some reason (well, other than LOTRO. But I'm a LOTR geek). Good music too.

Only thing is the controls are INSUFFERABLE on the default model. Is there any way to change it in the BETA? So many things I would change with my controls if I could, urgh :lol

Presently the only way I know of to change the controls is to use a gamepad with the config utility (you can remap buttons there). Current KB/Mouse controls are abysmal, the non-hardware cursor mouse being the main offender.

Did anyone notice a big difference in the Catalyst 10.7 drivers over 10.6? I forget they came out yesterday and can't fire it up to test it presently.

Zomba13

They really need to make it easier to target yourself to heal. I should be able to activate it while targeting an enemy and then select myself then use the spell. I hate having to target me, bring up the menu again, use cure on me and then ry and target the enemy again to attack.

Teknoman

Yeah, this is probably the first time where i'm talking to everyone like a normal RPG. I think i'm going to start in Ul'dah in retail though. Expecting that city to have a Gladiator and Pugilist guild, what with the battle arena and everything.

Was really surprised by how far away Rangers and magic classes can attack with default stuff.

Khrno

LaneDS said:
Did anyone notice a big difference in the Catalyst 10.7 drivers over 10.6? I forget they came out yesterday and can't fire it up to test it presently.

Khrno said:
I got the 10.7 ATI drivers and after installing them, I didn't have any more crashes at all with my 3870!

So with the beta playable, I could actually get around crowded areas, do levequests, do the Main quest and wanderer around for a bit, only played for 2 hours, but did enough and had lots of fun.

LaneDS

Khrno said:

I saw that, but I was more interested in performance vs. general stability. Should have clarified. I think most of my client crashes are not related to the so-so ATI performance, but that is of course just a guess (they're infrequent for me, in any case).

Teknoman

Pre 10.7 for me, the beta ran perfectly after the ATI bug fix update. Even with fraps record running, not a frame drop in sight.

EDIT: Looking at some of my videos from last night, FFVI battle theme actually fits with some of the faster paced party fights.

LaneDS

Oh yeah, the difference was markedly improved from last week running 10.6, that 4.5MB patch did wonders for ATI owners.

Guess I'll mess with 10.7 next time the test is up to see if things are even better.

DrDogg

Having not played the game yet because SE doesn't like me or my 5 years and still active FFXI account... I've got a concern that hopefully some of you can address.

Looking at the spells/abilities on the official site, it looks to me like you'd pretty much have to level every class within your class type to get the best spells/abilities. For example, if you wanted to be the equivalent of a WHM, you'd want to play as CON to get Cure and Protect, but then you'd also want to play as Thaumaturge to get Sacrifice.

Likewise, if you wanted to be a RDM equivalent you'd almost have to level CON and Thaumaturge to get what you'd need, and that's only looking at low level abilities. I can imagine there are going to be a lot of higher level abilities you'd want from multiple classes. The same goes for the melee classes if you want the best DD or tanking class.

So do you really need to level everything?

Burli

Pringo
Bit late now, but how do you actually customise the HUD? Still haven't managed to work that one out.

EDIT: Nevermind. You can drag them around with the mouse - so awesome I didn't even think of it!

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
Having not played the game yet because SE doesn't like me or my 5 years and still active FFXI account... I've got a concern that hopefully some of you can address.

Looking at the spells/abilities on the official site, it looks to me like you'd pretty much have to level every class within your class type to get the best spells/abilities. For example, if you wanted to be the equivalent of a WHM, you'd want to play as CON to get Cure and Protect, but then you'd also want to play as Thaumaturge to get Sacrifice.

Likewise, if you wanted to be a RDM equivalent you'd almost have to level CON and Thaumaturge to get what you'd need, and that's only looking at low level abilities. I can imagine there are going to be a lot of higher level abilities you'd want from multiple classes. The same goes for the melee classes if you want the best DD or tanking class.

So do you really need to level everything?

You dont have to, since we still dont know some of the traits that will be learned as well (there is also a bar for setting learned job profession traits), and since there is an action point cost for each ability equipped. Of course you get more as you level up, but jobs as they are, may have enough abilities at max level on their own, to play as a certain role type.

Now if you're trying to exactly mimic a class from XI, then you might have to level up everything. I'm just glad that for a little while, we may see a ton of varied class configurations.

RuGalz

Zomba13 said:
They really need to make it easier to target yourself to heal. I should be able to activate it while targeting an enemy and then select myself then use the spell. I hate having to target me, bring up the menu again, use cure on me and then ry and target the enemy again to attack.
In the alpha you could np, I'm worried atm because you can do it with spells like SS and SSpikes and not Cure right now, i hope it gets fixed.

carlo6529

If I level up a mage and go all Int and Piety, and then down the road decide to level up a pugilist, will my stats be stuck with int and piety or can I change them/put new stats for a new class?

Teknoman

Heres hoping every Disciple of war job gets a flashy weapon skill like Pugilists Seismic strike.

carlo6529 said:
If I level up a mage and go all Int and Piety, and then down the road decide to level up a pugilist, will my stats be stuck with int and piety or can I change them/put new stats for a new class?

During the beta, you can only reassign the last points that were gained, at least thats what happened for me. Not sure if it was just a glitch.

If I want to craft or mine or whatever, I have to switch to a different weapon, which clears all my abilities.

Then if I want to switch back to my main class, I reequip the old weapon, and have to rebind all my keys all over again. This is especially annoying given how slow the game's interface responds.

Is this a bug or just a really bad design decision? Is there a way to memorize abilities or am I going about this in completely the wrong way?

RuGalz

Mister Zimbu said:
If I want to craft or mine or whatever, I have to switch to a different weapon, which clears all my abilities.

Then if I want to switch back to my main class, I reequip the old weapon, and have to rebind all my keys all over again. This is especially annoying given how slow the game's interface responds.

Is this a bug or just a really bad design decision? Is there a way to memorize abilities or am I going about this in completely the wrong way?
And not just that but if you change, lets say a staff for another staff (durability issues) it fucks up your timers on abilities with long recasts (30 mins for example). Speaking of gear durability, thing is terrible, it makes everything even more slow, if you are out of animas(which you probably are by now) you have to walk to town every 1-2 hours to get it rapaired by an npc (to 50%:lol ), I know its just a beta but my god this game is bad atm.

Teknoman

I haven't had any problem with skills staying on my bar when switching back to Gladiator (unless you guys are talking about something else when it comes to binds). Also I haven't really had any problem with repairs or anything yet..unless staff durability is a lot lower than sword/lance/shield/normal armor. Really havent noticed any really detrimental effects with lowered durability, unless i'm missing something.

Can't blacksmiths or armorers repair things in the field?

Khrno

LaneDS said:
I saw that, but I was more interested in performance vs. general stability. Should have clarified. I think most of my client crashes are not related to the so-so ATI performance, but that is of course just a guess (they're infrequent for me, in any case).

Oh sorry. Well in my case it was a huge boost, with no more crashing :lol

But performance wise, I didn't see any improvements with my card/build, going down to 10 fps in crowded areas, around 18 during battles, 25 at most while running around with just a couple npcs on sight; that was the same as pre-10.7.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
MCX said:
24+ hour cooldown, I believe.

48 Hours in beta.

Teknoman said:
Heres hoping every Disciple of war job gets a flashy weapon skill like Pugilists Seismic strike.

During the beta, you can only reassign the last points that were gained, at least thats what happened for me. Not sure if it was just a glitch.

No, you can reassign every 30 min +- and it drop points on abilities who are not used by your equipped job.

With PUG i reassign every CON stat to STR/VIT/DEX, and every time I reassign stats it mainly drop INT/PIE/MND.

So it seem when you reassign, it drop more the points you allocated on the not active class.

Teknoman said:
I haven't had any problem with skills staying on my bar when switching back to Gladiator (unless you guys are talking about something else when it comes to binds). Also I haven't really had any problem with repairs or anything yet..unless staff durability is a lot lower than sword/lance/shield/normal armor. Really havent noticed any really detrimental effects with lowered durability, unless i'm missing something.

Can't blacksmiths or armorers repair things in the field?

My HtH weapon dropped to 0 and the DMG was much much lower.

To repair, you need to equip the tools yourself, also you can Seek Repair, is like the Bazaar, you offer how much are willing to pay, and i think the crafter, repair it on the fly.

(PD: need to test it.)

Jinko

Noticed that my attack power almost halfed going from 100% to 50% durability on the bronze dagger.

Getting it repaired in town will only be for emergencies, will probably be wise to specialise in blacksmithing and armourer if you decide to go as a melee class, and woodworking and cloth/leather crafting if you are a ranged or mage.

I don't think the crafting classes seem as hard work as FF11 this time round so shoudn't be a problem to level a couple up, I'm curious if you get skill points for repairing items though.

Zalasta

When partying, do you look for people around the same physical level or class rank? How severe is the penalty if you have someone that is too high/low? I assume there isn't anything like level sync at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom