• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

desa

Rflagg said:
Are these using the setting you mentioned earlier or did you turn them up for photos? Good news it runs so well on that hardware. Game looks so freaking nice for a mmorpg, to be fair I did skip Conan and Aion.

Yup yup. Nothing changed. Shadow details set to standard. Buffer size to window. In game configurations are all on. I'm pretty happy how well it runs.

nickcv

the system requirements are crazy.
On my MBP i can run Aion at full details at more then 30fps, but this game seems like a real system hog.

Did any of you could run it on a MBP with a decent frame rate? with what settings?

edit:
btw i'm playing on a i5 MBP, but my bf uses a late 2009 MBP, so i care about both configurations.

desa

nickcv said:
On my MBP i can run Aion at full details at more then 30fps, but this game seems like a real system hog.

Did any of you could run it on a MBP with a decent frame rate? with what settings?

It's strange reading everyone's report of it running poorly with rigs waaay better than mine. It's definitely playable with my specs and looks damn good too.

nickcv

desa said:
It's strange reading everyone's report of it running poorly with rigs waaay better than mine. It's definitely playable with my specs and looks damn good too.

no wait, i'm not in the beta, i didn't test the game on my MBP yet, when i said that the games seems like a system hog i was just talking about the system requirements which are way higher then other games in the genre ^^

edit:

guys did any of you played the FF XI beta too?
Can we expect to have a more optimized client for release or there won't be many or any improvements about it?

Ronok

nickcv said:

edit:
btw i'm playing on a i5 MBP, but my bf uses a late 2009 MBP, so i care about both configurations.

The system requirements are really high, but the game looks FAR nicer then Aion for example. :-/ Isn't it to be expected that the requirements would be higher?

zsswimmer said:
Goddamn, can't run this game without noticeable mouse lag even with 1024x768 at low settings. I mean I can play fucking Crysis Warhead on high with my laptop but not this.

My 6 Gigs of RAM and gtx260m are getting ass fucked.

You shouldn't be using any resolution other than your laptop's native one. Just use the half and quarter buffer settings instead. Make sure ambient occlusion is turned off as well. 6 GB of RAM isn't going to make any difference, actually, I suspect its your CPU that is bottlenecking you.

Classic_Gs said:
Well this beta 1 is much smoother than the entire alpha for me, good stuff.

Good stuff. If you think this is smooth, you won't believe how well it'll run on your new rig! :lol

Thanks to everyone posting pics, can one of you guys not try forcing 16xaf? I pretty much can't play games without it these days.

Ronok said:
The system requirements are really high, but the game looks FAR nicer then Aion for example. :-/ Isn't it to be expected that the requirements would be higher?

Aion uses the same engine as the origial Far Cry ffs! :lol

This is pretty much a generation ahead of stuff like Aion.

For those getting jerky frame dips be sure to try using triple buffering, it should smoothen it out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413

nickcv

Ronok said:

yeah i know, but look at upcoming mmorpgs system requirements like tera:

• Intel Core Duo 2 Processor
• 2 GB RAM
• NVidia GeForce 7600 or ATI Radeon X1800 GTO

vs FFXIV

ffxiv_sys.jpg

i'm all up for a great looking game, but the graphics should be a little bit scalable without getting them to look like a N64 game.

nickcv said:
yeah i know, but look at upcoming mmorpgs system requirements like tera:

• Intel Core Duo 2 Processor
• 2 GB RAM
• NVidia GeForce 7600 or ATI Radeon X1800 GTO

vs FFXIV

ffxiv_sys.jpg

i'm all up for a great looking game, but the graphics should be a little bit scalable without getting them to look like a N64 game.

The 2900 is 4 years old and was terrible at launch, the 9600GT is a 2 and a half year old midrange GPU, I don't see whats so crazy about those demands really. Anyone that's playing modern PC games has hardware better than that already. Heck, the 8800GT was released 3 years ago at $200 and it comfortably exceeds those minimum requirements. I really don't see what there is to complain about at worst you'll have to pick up an $80 4850, big deal.

Salaadin

Is anyone running the beta with an ATI card? Mind posting your experiences?
Im a tad worried because I see the Nvidia logo plastered all over that benchmark. Im hoping I dont miss out on some things because of my decision to go with a 5850 instead of waiting for Nvidia.

desa said:
[]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/Darkside009/FF%20XIV%20Beta/HolyShit.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p5ICeSRSaz2HbWqaRaEuutptCEwIjU66cAfuO6AMPuuYmdojRaZH4ELho4wc8mjbE-ceFshM_XJ3d9u2HS734XQ/ffxivgame%202010-07-10%2019-00-32-17.png[/IMG]

I love that shot and it seems like everyone who takes screens have them :lol

You missed mine :p

a2w6ys.jpg

Salaadin said:
Is anyone running the beta with an ATI card? Mind posting your experiences?
Im a tad worried because I see the Nvidia logo plastered all over that benchmark. Im hoping I dont miss out on some things because of my decision to go with a 5850 instead of waiting for Nvidia.

Well ATI's cards actually performed better in the benchmark so I wouldn't worry too much. Things are changing these days, ATI's market share is too big now for PC developers to ignore like they could just a year or two ago.

gillty

Banned
Rew said:
This x1000

So unnatural, especially coming from FFXIs compact control setup. Hopefully this is addressed soon.
I noticed the feedback forums were absolutely flooded with

a) bring back the arrow key camera controls
b) mouselook (it seems the tards from the alpha that thought mouse controls would ruin the game have given up :D )

on a sidenote, combat has such a nice pace now

notworksafe

nickcv said:

edit:
Ran pretty rough on my MBP as well. I was quite bummed. I can run Crysis and Aion on high as well at 30fps, but this game ran like garbage. Sucks.

I'll have to get a boat shot screencap on Tuesday though. I think it'd be funny if we all changed our avatars to that, like Pai Pai said. :lol

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
Soooo to celebrate FFXIV launch we should all change our avatars to that shot on the boat.

lol i've still got mine. I think its because everyone is surprised that their own character models can actually show emotion this time around.

EDIT: Alright uploaded 3 videos to mediafire...so I guess i'll pm Gromph with them for name editing? In the future i'll just turn off names when recording.

I would just go ahead and post them, but better to be safe then sorry.

Pai Pai Master said:
Soooo to celebrate FFXIV launch we should all change our avatars to that shot on the boat.

Doin' this right now.

brain_stew said:
For those getting jerky frame dips be sure to try using triple buffering, it should smoothen it out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413

Holy crap thanks! You are awesome!

Got that all set up. I'll be trying this on tuesday if I can borrow the friend's account again and have a report on how much it boosts performance.

Teknoman

Wow, pugilists are like semi hundred fists all the time :D Just the way it should be. Heres hoping for a normal kick attack so people can feel like they are doing combos :lol

EDIT:

1zd6jxz.png

Does anyone want to be the most amazing person on the planet and post screenshots of the available female Lalafell hairstyles in the beta? Just the styles no need for colors. Seriously I suck yo dick D: Bonus nut-scratch for other features like eye/mouth types. I've seen videos of the e3 demo but there were only 4 styles in that-- want to know what the other ones are.

There are only 4 styles to choose from per race/clan/gender combination. I'm hoping for twice that many at retail.

Actually the clans might have the same hairstyles for Lalafell. I didn't check the plainsfolk since I was already 2 hours late.

LowParry

Lala's with the long stache is ace. :lol

I'll probably play a Lala through beta though I'm going to be playing Moq/Gladiator so we have a tank with our groups. :D

Teknoman

As of July 10, 2010, we have confirmed the following issues. Please note that these issues need not be reported via the Bug Report form.

[Known Issues]

- During gameplay, the following may occur:
- Graphics may display incorrectly.
- Error messages may appear.
* If this occurs, please log out and then back in again.

- During gameplay, characters may become unable to move in certain locations.
* If this occurs, please use the Return or Teleport command. If the problem persists, please log in again or create a new character.

- During events when players are “bound by duty,” the screen may occasionally black out, preventing gameplay.
* If this occurs, force FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version closed and then log in again.

- If a player is KO'd just as the Return command takes effect, they may be unable to move upon reaching their destination.
* If possible, please log out and then log back in. Otherwise, force FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version closed and then log in again.

- Use of the Teleport command may result in keyboard controls becoming inactive.
* If possible, please log out and then log back in. Otherwise, force FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version closed and then log in again.

- Canceling participation in a Behest may result in an error.
* If this occurs, please log out and then log back in.

- Attempting to allot attribute or elemental resistance points while entering a new area may result in an error.
* If this occurs, please log out and then log back in.

- Connecting speakers or headphones after launching FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version may result in sound not functioning properly.
* If this occurs, please restart FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version with your speakers or headphones connected.

- Launching FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version with the "Shadow Detail" option (FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version Config » General » Video Settings) set to "Highest" may result in an error.
* If this occurs, please change the "Shadow Detail" settings.

- Whenever a gil-for-gil trade takes place between players, the traded gil does not reflect properly. The gil in question won't appear until a server restart takes place.
* Please avoid any gil-for-gil trades with another player.

- The cost of Oak Logs sold by NPCs appear to be higher than the actual price.
* The item in question can actually be purchased for 134 gil.

- On/Off option for the chat filter setting is reversed.
* "On" will display the log type in question and "Off" will filter the log type in question.

- Certain logs such as the ones listed below cannot be filtered at this time.
"You prepare for battle."
"You put away your weapon."
"Target will be disengaged in ( ) seconds."
"You are no longer disengaging from combat."

[Planned Adjustments]

Listed below are details on some of the upcoming changes. Although these changes will not be in place by the time of the first test, we are currently working to ensure that they are implemented at some time during the course of beta testing.

Event Related:
- The steps required to acquire and activate a levequest will be shortened
- The functioning of the Teleport and Return commands will be changed
- Will not be usable during combat
- Period of time before effect takes place will be shortened
- Stand rentals will be inextensible
* Retainers and stands are both new features which will be implemented in the beta test, and which can be used in the market areas
- The amount of information regarding available Behests will be increased
* Behests are a new feature which will be implemented in the beta test which let players participate in defeating monsters

Battle Related:
- Overall balancing adjustments
- The range from which enemies can be attacked will be adjusted
- The area of effect of spells targeting allies will be adjusted
- Battle Regimens will be adjusted to compensate for the changes to the battle system, namely the increased tempo of combat

- Targeting controls will be improved, and how targets are prioritized will be adjusted
- A macro system that allows for simple execution of multiple actions will be added
- The archer ability Refill will display how many arrows have been obtained
- Navigation controls on the Attributes & Gear screen will be adjusted
- A macro system that allows for easy equipment changes will be added
- Players will be able to view anticipated changes to attribute values before equipment is actually changed
- An animation effect when a character’s physical level increases will be added
- Players will be able to view when an attribute value will increase before allotting attribute points

Item Related:
- Individual gathering attempts will have the chance to yield multiple items

System Related:
- Adjustments to the main menu
- The delay experienced when opening and closing windows will be reduced
- Exiting query windows with the cancel button will become possible
- Position of icons will be changed to increase their visibility
- Multi-page scrolling will be implemented in the item screen
- Search and recruitment conditions will be adjusted to ease the process of seeking parties
- Adjustments to chat controls
- Opening the chat prompt with keyboard input will become possible
- Using shortcut keys to reply will become possible
- Sending tells to a targeted player will be simplified
- The scrolling speed of the map will be improved
- The directional keys to control the camera will be changed in order to improve gameplay using the keyboard
- Closing the main menu with the mouse will become possible

Also could someone please report that gamepad vibration still doesnt work with a wired 360 controller? Really doesnt make sense that every other PC game supports force feedback with 360 controllers, and FFXI / XIV dont.

LowParry

- The directional keys to control the camera will be changed in order to improve gameplay using the keyboard

Wasn't that already changed since you can't use the arrow keys for camera? IKJL keys for camera is a terrible idea.

Teknoman

Hmm, maybe those were posted before the servers went up.

I'm really glad the quest journal system gives you a detailed overview of whats to be done, and the history of what you've done so far. Also, that the npcs giving story quests/ random requests actually place markers on your map at times.

And of course not having to buy maps is cool.

LaneDS

Ran quite rough here, despite scoring above 3000 on the benchmark (not a great score but it looked and ran great there). In some cases it ran worse than the alpha did for me, which was mind boggling to me. Cutscenes and instanced areas ran fine but navigating the city was a big mess.

This is all with an Radeon HD 5770, 6GB of DDR3 (not sure what speed offhand), and an (outdated) C2D at 2.67GHz. Not top of the line by any means, but some of the performance last night was pretty worrisome.

Technical issues aside, I liked the new battle system. Played a Pugilist and ran through the same starting class quests as the alpha (though they smartly had you go out to Bearded Rock earlier for a taste of combat, requiring less city navigation early on).

The levequest system still needs work. You can die and not fail the quest, but disconnecting right before you complete one means a failure. Also, the whole idea of finishing levequests and exchanging them for others is not well explained. Is it complete when you finish it in the field, or is it complete when you go back to the counter to get more? I think it's the former, but it certainly isn't intuitive.

Speaking of unintuitive, the idea that you have to open up the main menu to access things like elevators is really silly. I imagine that'll be changed.

Overall though, performance oddities aside, it's more compelling than the alpha. Next test will be a better way to see what is beyond the alpha, as far as areas are concerned.

Does anyone know if there are more class quests in the beta yet? Levequests are great and all but I think the experience and enjoyment drops off considerably when it's all you're left with, as kill X of random monster Y is not as compelling as anything story related.

Teknoman

Also for some reason I couldnt use the Aetheryte at Camp Bearded Rock. Walked up to it, tried to target it...nothing.

Maybe it's because I tried to activate it right before the servers went down?

EDIT: Seems like the 360 controller RT and LT werent working in game. The config recognizes them when pressed...so I guess i'll mess around a little more in the button config, then try again thursday.

Nice that doors auto open this time around.

Lane, next time knock multisampling down to 1 and turn off Ambient Occlusion, see if that helps.

Rflagg

desa said:
Yup yup. Nothing changed. Shadow details set to standard. Buffer size to window. In game configurations are all on. I'm pretty happy how well it runs.

Great news was asking because I think your shots still look great, combined with your reports of how well runs really excites me. I think your grahics/performance are more then acceptable for this type of game, and should be able to turn up some things form your settings as well.:D Not trying to brag, because my computer really isn't anything that special, just trying to share full reason for my excitement.Thanks a ton for reply.

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
Also for some reason I couldnt use the Aetheryte at Camp Bearded Rock. Walked up to it, tried to target it...nothing.

Maybe it's because I tried to activate it right before the servers went down?

EDIT: Seems like the 360 controller RT and LT werent working in game. The config recognizes them when pressed...so I guess i'll mess around a little more in the button config, then try again thursday.

Nice that doors auto open this time around.

Lane, next time knock multisampling down to 1 and turn off Ambient Occlusion, see if that helps.

For the Aetheryte, did you try using it from the main menu? In the alpha you could target it the way you were describing it to use it, but in the beta you had to just stand near it, open the main menu, and interact with it from there (like the elevators). Pretty dumb system, really.

And yeah, I had multisampling at 1 and ambient occlusion off (had ambient occlusion on at first but it was *really* rough in Limsa Lominsa).

Teknoman

Nope, never crossed my mind to open the main menu. :lol Thats some Dragon Quest 1 level stuff. You'd think it would auto-activate if they made the doors function that way.

The city is actually pretty easy to navigate once you figure out everything is on the lower level.

LaneDS

Really silly decision on their part, I can only assume that'll get changed before launch.

I did like how the first levequest "My Very First Adventure" had pop-ups explaining what needed doing. The game could use more of that, at least early on.

Did anyone try to roam far outside the starting zone? Curious if areas are blocked off by invisible walls this go round (hit one trying to go to the mountain area beyond Skull Rock in the alpha).

desa

LaneDS said:
For the Aetheryte, did you try using it from the main menu? In the alpha you could target it the way you were describing it to use it, but in the beta you had to just stand near it, open the main menu, and interact with it from there (like the elevators). Pretty dumb system, really.

Eh, I like it actually. Since you don't have to go fumbling through crowds trying to target it. Just run up, menu and select.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom