• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillty

Banned
There is only so much you can do to get around shitty ISP's throttling torrent traffic, either way these updates are so tiny that you turn around for 5 seconds and your done.

Khrno

Just for the GMT confused people:

As of 2:00 (GMT) on Thursday, July 29, beta test servers will be online 24 hours a day. This signifies the shift to Phase 2. Beta testers from any region will be able to log in at any time.

Fuck yeah!

Teknoman

Oh, so with enough time, you could completely reassign all your stat points?

EDIT: Great, now everyone should be more relaxed with playtimes :D

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Is there a post or link with a good summary of the basics anywhere in this thread? Joining the beta test late (didn't have internet access the past couple of weeks) and feeling more lost than the usual first-hours-of-an-MMO since literally everyone seems to have been playing a while. :)

Zomba13

I knew they'd get the servers up 24/7 soon but I expected in a week or something not tonight. Very nice. Hopefully now they can sort out any other server issues they might have before retails. They've got around 2 months of 24/7 beta if they keep them online for till and only shut them down to fix problems

Khrno

Sage00 said:
Is there a post or link with a good summary of the basics anywhere in this thread? Joining the beta test late (didn't have internet access the past couple of weeks) and feeling more lost than the usual first-hours-of-an-MMO since literally everyone seems to have been playing a while. :)

If you have access to the Beta site:

Teknoman said:
Oh, so with enough time, you could completely reassign all your stat points?

Remember there's a level 30 cap, and that stats reassignment might not be available on the beta, or just yet.

DrDogg

desa said:
What's wrong with this? It works exactly like it's supposed to in FFXI. More than one PLD? Then hate would be bounced around between said Pallys. Like fighting Ultima in limbus. Usual method would be to use two plds and have hate bounce back and forth between the two. Although there's always one exceptional paladin that has no trouble maintaining hate even with another one or two present.

For fighting big bosses multiple tanks are fine. I was more referring to XP parties where having multiple tanks would bounce hate around way too much. Almost like anytime I was in a party with two NIN tanks. I think everyone BUT the tanks were bouncing hate, it was terrible.

I also recall a few times where some overzealous WAR would think my Taru PLD couldn't handle tanking and voke every 30 seconds. It was much harder to keep hate in such situations. Compared to tanking on my PLD with no other tanks, where I'd die because the DDs couldn't pull a mob off of me if the healer was lackluster.

Teknoman said:
You dont have to, since we still dont know some of the traits that will be learned as well (there is also a bar for setting learned job profession traits), and since there is an action point cost for each ability equipped. Of course you get more as you level up, but jobs as they are, may have enough abilities at max level on their own, to play as a certain role type.

Now if you're trying to exactly mimic a class from XI, then you might have to level up everything. I'm just glad that for a little while, we may see a ton of varied class configurations.

I understand it's not a necessity, but looking at it from a tanking standpoint, if I want all of the enmity and defensive abilities, I would want to level all of the melee classes right? Unless there's something better on GLD which makes the other job's abilities null.

notworksafe

Sage00 said:
OP has everything you need. I keep it pretty updated.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
MiloFoxburr said:
A German site got access to 2000 beta keys that they'll be giving out in a few days. I assume more sites will start getting keys as well to give away.

Looking forward to 24 hour testing ^_^ And hopefully getting an invite for my own account.

What site is this?

MCX

Banned
Congrats! The majority of us play on Shadowlord server, Ami.

If you don't play fullscreen, we also use Vent. The info's in the OP.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Londa said:
Gromph I was wondering if you could teach me how to edit my name out of videos. :D

Here you go. is on OP.
Quote:
Open up your favorite memory editor, select the process that is ffxivgame.exe

Search for text strings that are your char's name.
Modify the text strings to a dummy name of equal characters.

Start your video capturing software such as fraps.

Enjoy video captures that are relatively safe to make.

More from Jinko:
Quote:
http://download.cnet.com/Quick-Memory-Editor/3000-18541_4-10386321.html

You will need to run the FF14 beta and then add it as a task, select string from the data type drop down box and type the name of your character in the search value.

Once/If you find it switch to edit MEM and change the name.

Amir0x said:
Looks like I got the BETA just in time. Super sweet :D

Congrats! :)

gillty

Banned
a long one

Guildleve and Party Play

To all beta testers, thank you for your continued support!

At the start of the beta test there were many frustrations and worries due to the various issues such as the login difficulties. While there are still some issues remaining, we have determined that it is stable enough to hold the test for 24 hours straight. So starting today, the beta test will move on to phase 2 (Beta 2)!

Also the development is operating at full steam to add more new features, make a number of adjustments and address various issues and server load problems, so that the next phase of beta test (Beta 3) can begin somewhere between early and mid-August. With all the feedback provided on the forums and elsewhere, we are doing our very best to make sure that as many of your opinions as possible are heard. Please look forward to Beta 3!

Now, I have a few favors to ask regarding the beta test and I’d also like to explain some terms that previously weren’t explained in enough detail.

Guildleve and Party Play
We have received feedback saying that there aren’t enough monsters since Guildleves only get updated once every two days and testers are forced to battle monsters outside of levequests. There are two reasons behind this problem. One is that we didn’t explain our intentions clearly enough and the other is that what we intended is not working properly.

Levequests are designed to be a part of the game that players can enjoy casually in solo situations. However, levequests are also designed as an element for parties to take part in. To make sure they work for both kinds of players, it comes with the ability to adjust their level of difficulty. Even if you were to run out of levequest offers for a particular challenge, you can still join in on the levequests of others. This also comes with the following advantages:

- Both skill level and physical level can be increased
- You are able to receive the mission reward (Gil)

The system is designed to have no disadvantages for having more players in the party. So in case you run out of offers on available levequests, please cooperate with others and tackle other various levequests.

If you currently have levequest offers available, or levequests that may be a bit difficult at your level, please try and recruit some party members. Those of you who are familiar with FINAL FANTASY XI are probably already aware of this but a party is formed by a leader running a search and recruiting members by directly contacting the player. However, in order to lessen the burden on party leaders, we have implemented a feature where players can automatically join the party if they meet the requirements set forth by the party leader.

We are planning to implement features in response to feedback such as "Allow us to form a party if our current physical level matches, even if our skill levels are different" and "Allow us to form a party even when we are far away from each other, but able to use Teleport" in Beta 3. Since there still are many parts of the game that are incomplete, we wish to receive more feedback on things of this nature.

As you can see, we would like testers to enjoy the party play options in levequests but at same time we are aware that the game is not optimally balanced yet. For example, skill rank increases more during battles against levequest monsters in comparison to normal monsters. Also, while under the effects of Guardian’s Favor, skill will increase even faster. However, considering the effort required, such as traveling time, we feel that more bonuses are required to encourage players to build up their characters by participating in other player’s levequests. For this reason, drastic changes will be made in Beta 3.

There are many other parts where party battle is not well balanced yet and they are the reason why party play is not very active. Therefore, we welcome more feedback on party play.

Behest
"Behest" is a new feature that was introduced in the beta test phase. However, it seems like there was not enough explanation on it, so I would like to take this opportunity to explain it a little more.

Basically, Behest is "A levequest where the offer is made by the game system itself." It is designed to offer a variety of missions depending on the number of players in the party and to become a substitute for levequests when no one has any available levequest offers.

If you see the Yellowjacket NPC near Aetheryte and the Aetherial Gate, please speak with them and try out Behest. There are many advantages to tackling this new system! For example, larger amounts of gil can be obtained in comparison to normal battles.

Just like party play, Behest is not quite balanced yet, so please send us your feedback!.

We hope to see the same great level of feedback and support during Beta 2!

FINAL FANTASY XIV Director
Nobuaki Komoto

Khrno

Valru said:
a long one

Also the development is operating at full steam to add more new features, make a number of adjustments and address various issues and server load problems, so that the next phase of beta test (Beta 3) can begin somewhere between early and mid-August.

So we can expect a big patch with several adjustments according to our feedback in around 2 weeks. Not bad.

Gilgamesh

I filled out a beta application yesterday, but I'm not expecting much in the way of results. I've always kind of hated MMOs anyway though, so it's not really a big deal. I just like to keep trying them. The concept of them interests me, but I just can't glean much enjoyment out of them. But who knows, maybe someday one will click with me.

Valru said:
"Basically, Behest is "A levequest where the offer is made by the game system itself." It is designed to offer a variety of missions depending on the number of players in the party and to become a substitute for levequests when no one has any available levequest offers."
So why does Behest even exist? Just lower the timer on levequests.

Khrno

Classic_Gs said:
So why does Behest even exist? Just lower the timer on levequests.

"larger amounts of gil can be obtained in comparison to normal battles."

That's one of the reasons why it exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom