• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but in alpha you didn't have to do either. Walking up to an aetheryte or elevator would bring up the option to use it automatically. Not sure why they changed it.

LaneDS

That's a good point. Hadn't considered why they made that change, and that seems quite likely it.

But yes, having both would have been nice, was very confusing considering that's how XI and more importantly the alpha handled it.

Did anyone figure out where to acquire weapons? I found that they sell the tools for the gathering classes and staves/wands (I think) if you head west from the Chocobo stables, but I couldn't find any place with lances, swords, or axes yet.

Jinko

LaneDS said:
Ran quite rough here, despite scoring above 3000 on the benchmark (not a great score but it looked and ran great there). In some cases it ran worse than the alpha did for me, which was mind boggling to me. Cutscenes and instanced areas ran fine but navigating the city was a big mess.

This is all with an Radeon HD 5770, 6GB of DDR3 (not sure what speed offhand), and an (outdated) C2D at 2.67GHz. Not top of the line by any means, but some of the performance last night was pretty worrisome.

Did you have Ambient Occulsion on, it will cause massive slow down on older systems, nevermind you answered it further down.

Eh, I like it actually. Since you don't have to go fumbling through crowds trying to target it. Just run up, menu and select.

This, they changed it because people were complaining that they coudn't target the crystals with large groups hogging them.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah but in alpha you didn't have to do either. Walking up to an aetheryte or elevator would bring up the option to use it automatically. Not sure why they changed it.

Actually its still supposed to do it. Looking at the beta site, it says the crystal will automatically activate when you approach it.

Beta bug?

Teknoman

chris-013 said:
I think there is a exclamation mark when you need to open the menu to activate something but I'm not sure.

So thats what that was...I've seen that (voice baloon with exclamation mark, as well as a notepad icon) but never knew what it was for.

Doodlebug

I think Botanist looks fantastic from pictures. I'd like to see some video of it in action. That, Fishing and ... heck, all the Land classes, because they all seem interesting to play.

LaneDS

chris-013 said:
I think there is a exclamation mark when you need to open the menu to activate something but I'm not sure.

There is, although it appears up above where your buffs normally appear. Not terribly intuitive. I'm sure they'll change it up somewhat.

Jinko

LaneDS said:
There is, although it appears up above where your buffs normally appear. Not terribly intuitive. I'm sure they'll change it up somewhat.

Hmm did you not think to mouse over it :p

Teknoman

chris-013 said:
So did you play lancer in your 3 videos Teknoman ?

Yeah, didnt have enough time to try anything else out. Only got in during the last hour of testing.

Thursday I should have full time to test out Conjurer (if I can find a staff), Fisherman or Cook, and maybe try to get into a party.

Oh and I wound up on the Emperor server for EU beta test.

Jinko said:
Hmm did you not think to mouse over it :p

You'd think you could just use the d-pad somehow.

Coldsnap said:
Thanks. Only one problem is everytime I restart my computer I have to authorize D3D access, I'm guessing this is a windows 7 security thing. How do I make it always authorized?

You might have to alter your UAC settings, I'm not sure, doesn't do it for me.

brain_stew said:
Good stuff. If you think this is smooth, you won't believe how well it'll run on your new rig! :lol

Indeed, and what I meant was that it does not crash as much, only once last night, and I actually achieved a solid 7 FPS in game with my 8400GS 128MB :lol

I cannot wait for the new rig!

The character creator is pretty rad though (had 30fps for that at least :D )

Pai Pai Master said:
Soooo to celebrate FFXIV launch we should all change our avatars to that shot on the boat.
Count me in.

gillty

Banned
Teknoman said:
By the way, would anyone mind changing these two pictures to avatar size?

http://i30.tinypic.com/1zd6jxz.png

http://i31.tinypic.com/2zrj3vb.png

Everytime I try to resize, they always come out wrong >_>
a0l5xd.png
?

Teknoman

Perfect for launch day boat shock. Was going to use the other one up until then, to free up my current avatar for someone else....

Unless we're using the boat shock avatars now :lol

Coldsnap

Yea, so I messed around with overclocking my CPU like suggested. I got it to a stable 2.96 and could probably go higher, I scored a 2,419 on the benchmark which is way higher than my previous 1,700. I'm feeling pretty good about Tuesday night.

Has anyone overclocked a Radeon HD 4850? I had my old GT 8600 oc'ed to hell but once I bought the Radeon I never bothered with oc.

Teknoman

You guys think shadow settings have that much of an effect on performance? Didnt see that much of a change between standard and high performance wise.

Jinko

Coldsnap said:
Yea, so I messed around with overclocking my CPU like suggested. I got it to a stable 2.96 and could probably go higher, I scored a 2,419 on the benchmark which is way higher than my previous 1,700. I'm feeling pretty good about Tuesday night.

Has anyone overclocked a Radeon HD 4850? I had my old GT 8600 oc'ed to hell but once I bought the Radeon I never bothered with oc.

You can auto overclock an ATI card through the CCC settings, you might need to play around with it a bit afterwards.

Coldsnap

dang, the female characters in this game looks really good. I played a Mithra in XI and seeing them makes me want to play that Mithra-like race.

Salaadin

How are load times in this? Is anyone playing on an SSD?

I spent a good part of the day backing up all my shit thinking I was going to come home tonight and order an SSD but I seem to have talked myself out of it. Im just not sure that the load time decrease is worth 200 bucks to me yet. Im curious to what you guys who have the beta think of the load times.

Coldsnap

Salaadin said:
How are load times in this? Is anyone playing on an SSD?

I spent a good part of the day backing up all my shit thinking I was going to come home tonight and order an SSD but I seem to have talked myself out of it. Im just not sure that the load time decrease is worth 200 bucks to me yet. Im curious to what you guys who have the beta think of the load times.

No SSD drive here; the load times were pretty slow on the beta. I would say up to a minute. Given though it's a beta and I would guess a full disc install will give you faster download times, I didn't mind though. Also there is no loading between zones from what I saw, it streams. That fact makes longer load times when it does O.K. with me.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I havnt played much but the load times/fps seems fine, HDD. Played at windowed mode and everything was a smooth 30 fps while frapsing besides a random hickup here and there.

gillty

Banned
Terproerg said:
anyone know if the final game will support crossfire/sli?
I would imagine so, the game was shown on triple monitors and in 3d at e3. AFAIK no single Nvidia card supports more than 2 monitors.

Munba

Someone tried the game with Shadows in 'highest'? I would like to know if it adds object/building shadows or not.

CcrooK said:
Jesus christ, you people are hard to please! :lol

<- There. Happy!? Gosh!

Double edit: I love you guys!

It's okay I guess.

EDIT:

So I tried forcing triple buffering and vsync and running the benchmark. I'm now getting bench scores of ~1250 compared to the ~1850 of a few weeks ago on low, BUT no matter what I try, even shutting down d3doverride entirely, I'm still getting these significantly lower scores. Even tried uninstalling a few programs that I'd installed since then and cleaning up my processes a bit, but it didn't help. I know I shouldn't take the benchmark too seriously, but seeing that drop is irritating me. Any ideas?

Also: I didn't get any "beep" running the benchmark with d3doverride running. I'm told I should get one if it activated properly?

desa

I'm going to build a new pc in the future but hearing reviews about the new GTX 460, do you guys think I'll get a nice performance with it in my shitty old rig?

athlon x2 6000+ 3.18
9800gt
2 gig ram

If I get a sizable increase in performance I might bite and buy it now and also use it later in my new rig. If not, I will hold out and get it cheaper when it comes time to build. I don't know much about all this bottlenecking business. When I peaked at my CPU load it seemed fine. Seen it hover around 40-60%.

What do you guys think?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
desa said:
I'm going to build a new pc in the future but hearing reviews about the new GTX 460, do you guys think I'll get a nice performance with it in my shitty old rig?

athlon x2 6000+ 3.18
9800gt
2 gig ram

If I get a sizable increase in performance I might bite and buy it now and also use it later in my new rig. If not, I will hold out and get it cheaper when it comes time to build. I don't know much about all this bottlenecking business. When I peaked at my CPU load it seemed fine. Seen it hover around 40-60%.

What do you guys think?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400933

:) just poped

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
desa said:

athlon x2 6000+ 3.18

What do you guys think?
New CPU time. Upgrade time for everything in fact.
Nab a 1GB GTX460 while you are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom