• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

With the poetics bonus and the Relic grind going on, anyone without a clear is likely to soon be kidnapped and dragged through the darkest depths of Coil.

Also, I think I'm going to start dragging people through A1S soon. That's 100 Law per new person cleared, right?

Ef9UAOn.gif

Sounds like now is a better time than ever before then.

Wilsongt

Tetrabiblos obtained by someone less than 96h. Ya'll are slow and I'd hate to see what that person's room looks like in terms of garbage and poopsocks.

Valor

If anyone needs WHM for A3S this week...wait, nope...fuck that. Relic grind or bust. Only need relic at this point for A4S shit I may/may not do at some point.
You're a healer. You don't need a 210 weapon ever for this content.

Tetrabiblos obtained by someone less than 96h. Ya'll are slow and I'd hate to see what that person's room looks like in terms of garbage and poopsocks.
i like how it's always a healer getting the relics first because queue carry while not having to do any work in content. Must be nice...

ebil

You're a healer. You don't need a 210 weapon ever for this content.

i like how it's always a healer getting the relics first because queue carry while not having to do any work in content. Must be nice...
Judging from their Reddit post history, it doesn't seem to always be a healer rather than this particular person who happens to play a healer.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
With the poetics bonus and the Relic grind going on, anyone without a clear is likely to soon be kidnapped and dragged through the darkest depths of Coil.

Also, I think I'm going to start dragging people through A1S soon. That's 100 Law per new person cleared, right?

I've never done coil before. Does GAF want to take me?

iammeiam

This happened during Zodiac in the original relic. It also led to a really awkward time post-everyone-getting-zodiac when new people would try to use BONUS SOLD as a selling point to carry them and nobody cared anymore.

Unsynced will probably make the T13s a lot less hilarious than some of the T5 'carries' were, though

Sifl

I'm pretty sure the runs need to be synced or you get no poetics though, unless you get the first time bonus no matter what?

Teknoman

I dont like carries and all that...but...*cough*.

Nohar

I wish they would allow us to destroy equipment in order to "learn" the glamour from said equipment permanently (with the glamour being registered in a list, not as an item). That way we would only need to use prisms everytime we wish to change glamours, and it would free a lot of inventory space. The actual system is clunky, takes a lot of space, and is overall a very tedious process.

ebil

Maybe when Legion is out and introduces their Wardrobe we can finally have a proper glamour codex / wardrobe system instead of them saying that it's way too much character data to handle.

Until then, please buy more retainers from the Mogstation to hoard all that gear.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That'd require a full table of wearable items saved for every character. They said that if they could spare space for that they'd give more retainers.

Shahed

Okay I haven't played this since the week after the main story of 2.0 finished. I figured I'd mess around with the free trial for a bit sometime this month. But if I don't have Heavensward is there actually anything to even do? I guess I only got T11 down by the time I unsubbed, but not sure if I'll get anywhere in 4 days.

Also here's the main thing. I play on PS4 but I got one of those Square Enix holiday present things with a PC code for FFXIV. I'm not really that bothered about the actual PC version, it's more about the 30 days that comes with it. The issue here is that it's a Mogstation code instead of a Steam one. If it was Steam I'd just redeem it for now, and later booth the game and link it to my SE account when I actually want to play. However with it being a Mogstation key will the 30 days start as soon as I register? Because if it does I woudn't want to use the PC code now. BUt at the same time I'm worried the PC code will expire after a certain time.

Any ideas?

Zakalwe

Banned
I've read the reddit guide for Anima,. but I'm a little confused.

At the dungeon stage and my poetic just capped. Can I start using them now to buy the items for the later relic stage, and if so where do I go/how do I do this?

I'm probably missing something obvious, the fate grind numbed my brain...

EDIT: Nvm, I see the UBone and Ushell, which is the best to buy with poetics or is either good?

IvorB

Hmmm.... made a bit of a mistake picking up Dragon Age: Inquisition for £4 the other day. I just wanted to check it out but I think I'm really getting into it and I've barely logged in to do relic. The game says I've played about 30 hours already which must be a mistake. Can someone do my relic for me pls?

aceface

Started the unidentified grind last night. Honestly it doesn't seem too bad as far as grinds go. Managed to get to 5/80 turning in my banked law tomes and 1000 seals.

If you do your lv. 48 quests on all 4 ARR tribes every day, you'll have 28 tokens in 31 days. This doesn't take long at all at lv. 60 because nothing aggros you and everything dies super quick. The most annoying ones are where you have to wait for fates.

That means you need to pick up 1.68 tokens every one of those days to finish in a month, which is 5 tokens every 3 days. Certainly seems doable with doing roulette for tomes, hunts, and the odd map drop.

Valor

Started the unidentified grind last night. Honestly it doesn't seem too bad as far as grinds go. Managed to get to 5/80 turning in my banked law tomes and 1000 seals.

If you do your lv. 48 quests on all 4 ARR tribes every day, you'll have 28 tokens in 31 days. This doesn't take long at all at lv. 60 because nothing aggros you and everything dies super quick. The most annoying ones are where you have to wait for fates.

That means you need to pick up 1.68 tokens every one of those days to finish in a month, which is 5 tokens every 3 days. Certainly seems doable with doing roulette for tomes, hunts, and the odd map drop.

Why would you want to do all of those beast tribe quests every day for a month to get 28/80 tokens?

5 Tokens every three days is still like 50 runs of Alexander Normal or 5000 allied seals or 3000+ poetics/law.

All for a weapon that you don't need for any content unless you're raiding and if you're raiding people should be close to getting 210 weapons from Alexander anyway.

I don't know how people rationalize this as not that bad.

aceface

Why would you want to do all of those beast tribe quests every day for a month to get 28/80 tokens?

5 Tokens every three days is still like 50 runs of Alexander Normal or 5000 allied seals or 3000+ poetics/law.

All for a weapon that you don't need for any content unless you're raiding and if you're raiding people should be close to getting 210 weapons from Alexander anyway.

I don't know how people rationalize this as not that bad.

I'm never going to beat A4S until nerfs and relic is BiS for scholar. Sure I don't need it but who cares. The idea of having BiS before 3.2 drops is appealing. I enjoy playing this game and it gives me something to work on.

Everyone claims to hate it yet I still see multiple fate grinding parties in every zone, hunts are back, GAF parties running Alexander every day. I guess I dont understand this MMO mentality of THIS IS HORRIBLE and then proceeding to do it. I like working on stuff like this. If it was something I hated I'd be out. Hell if my Zeta didn't let me skip new Atmas I probably would not have bothered.

scy

Everyone claims to hate it yet I still see multiple fate grinding parties in every zone, hunts are back, GAF parties running Alexander every day. I guess I dont understand this MMO mentality of THIS IS HORRIBLE and then proceeding to do it. I like working on stuff like this. If it was something I hated I'd be out. Hell if my Zeta didn't let me skip new Atmas I probably would not have bothered.

Personally speaking, it's simply because the list of stuff to do is pretty bland and unfun. It's not necessarily too much or anything like that, just not very enticing at all. I'll let my relic happen somehow and have it by 3.2-ish rather than forcing it early. That's all. A week or so of all-in on a grind or dragging it out for a month+ of chores seems pretty meh to me when most the options aren't very interesting to do (there's a reason I haven't maxed my beast tribes still).

I'm mostly disappointed that the step itself is the most boring possible content imaginable. For something delayed on us, twice, it's really hard to believe that this took any form of resources at all outside of the weapon models.

Valor

I'm not doing it. I have 2/80 to my name and that was from cashing in poetics I already had.

There's a difference between saying "it's not that bad" and "i enjoy doing this". I don't really care about what people enjoy or don't enjoy, but my objection comes in when people try to say that the grind isn't bad. It's bad. It's insulting. It's another terrible step in a series of terrible steps since they released Heavensward. It feels like every time they try to make something good they find a way to shit the bed in the same breath.

The atma and dungeon part of this relic bit is actually pretty good. It's a medium amount of work for a modest reward of a nice 200 weapon that glows. The next step is straight up insulting, and I'm one of those assholes that did every step of the 2.0 relic grind as soon as it went live.

Again, it's fine that people are doing it. I'll probably end up doing it as well eventually pre-nerfs. It's just so transparent to me how this step is made to be hit with the nerf bat and the recycling of old content and tomes that are basically fossils and old beast tribe quests is all just incredibly disgusting to me. For chrissakes some of the best ways to do this grind is to do ARR Content like ARR Hunts and ARR Beast Tribe Quests.

I did that shit already. I'm tired of it. I don't want to do another sylph daily. I don't want to do another sahagin daily. I did my time and I got them all to max rank. I'm tired of hunt trains through areas and the bullshit it brings with it. I barely want to grind Esoterics let alone Poetics. We still have value on poetics. Even if you don't mind the grind, even if you're doing the grind, there's no way I can understand people saying that this kind of content grind is okay. This isn't even directed at you, but at literally everyone who is saying "eh, it's not that bad."

It's bland and it's not fun and for me it's all content I've already beaten to death and back. Bard bow is also BiS or close enough but I cannot be arsed to jump through this hoop again the way I used to.

Sifl

I mean another reason is how long it took to release. I'd probably be halfway done with it if it released a month and a half ago with all the law I get from pvp. Pretty funny that they let you trade law gear for gc seals in the previous update, just in time for u to spend all the law u get so u don't finish their shit relic too quickly.

aceface

It's fine, I felt the same way about atmas and dungeon atmas. That's why I didn't bother doing the dungeon ones until it was a guaranteed drop. But for this one, I like hunts, beast tribe quests are a minor annoyance, and even just plotting out the numbers of what I have to do every day to make the grind as non annoying as possible in a certain amount of time is fun to me. Maybe I'm weird, but that's why I say the grind doesn't feel that bad.

Agreed that this should have been released awhile back though.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I never did the old beast tribes. In order to get the relic items I first need to spend a few weeks grinding rep before I unlock the quests that give the relic items?

Sifl

I never did the old beast tribes. In order to get the relic items I first need to spend a few weeks grinding rep before I unlock the quests that give the relic items?
I think you should just do Vanu Beast Tribe quests if you don't have the others leveled, which is what I'm doing. It takes more tokens, but you level it up much quicker.

iammeiam

Doing relic FATES is not indicative of doing the anima quest line. I think you'll see a decent number of people doing the FATE/Dungeon grind for a second weapon, since you can knock out an i200 in a day or so as opposed to three weeks of eso capping, and then stopping there because anima is trash. Plus get 3-5 levels on a random alt job while doing it.

The anima grind works best if you assume people are going to be logging in anyway and want something to do with this time they will definitely for sure be logging in. It completely fails at being something most people will actually log in to do, and the game has been sorely lacking in that sort of content for a while. Thordan can't carry 3.1 by himself.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I think you should just do Vanu Beast Tribe quests if you don't have the others leveled, which is what I'm doing. It takes more tokens, but you level it up much quicker.

I started doing the Vanu ones. I was going to do some of the olders ones too. I unlocked the fishguy quests, but they only gave me 3 quests for 5 rep each. The next teir seems to unlock at 150 rep. The quests it gives me now don't give relic item stuff.

aceface

I started doing the Vanu ones. I was going to do some of the olders ones too. I unlocked the fishguy quests, but they only gave me 3 quests for 5 rep each. The next teir seems to unlock at 150 rep. The quests it gives me now don't give relic item stuff.

Yes you need to be on the third tier of the quests from those tribes to get relic stuff.

Guess Who

Banned
The anima grind works best if you assume people are going to be logging in anyway and want something to do with this time they will definitely for sure be logging in. It completely fails at being something most people will actually log in to do, and the game has been sorely lacking in that sort of content for a while. Thordan can't carry 3.1 by himself.

Yup. I suspect most of the people who defend the Anima grind are people who basically spend all their free time in Eorzea anyway. People for whom FFXIV isn't their main or only hobby are finding other things to do.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I might do the Relic if I get insanely bored of leveling, but jesus christ FATE's make me comatose. Everything else on the list seems fine by comparison.

WolvenOne

Ef9UAOn.gif

Sounds like now is a better time than ever before then.

Soon. (TM)

In all honesty, just mention something in game about having the poetics bonus, and you're certain to be kidnapped. XD

PS: Did a bit of Coil last night for this reason, and I'm shocked by how much of those fights I've forgotten! Half a year of not really touching them will do that I suppose. XD

WolvenOne

I'm not doing it. I have 2/80 to my name and that was from cashing in poetics I already had.

There's a difference between saying "it's not that bad" and "i enjoy doing this". I don't really care about what people enjoy or don't enjoy, but my objection comes in when people try to say that the grind isn't bad. It's bad. It's insulting. It's another terrible step in a series of terrible steps since they released Heavensward. It feels like every time they try to make something good they find a way to shit the bed in the same breath.

The atma and dungeon part of this relic bit is actually pretty good. It's a medium amount of work for a modest reward of a nice 200 weapon that glows. The next step is straight up insulting, and I'm one of those assholes that did every step of the 2.0 relic grind as soon as it went live.

Again, it's fine that people are doing it. I'll probably end up doing it as well eventually pre-nerfs. It's just so transparent to me how this step is made to be hit with the nerf bat and the recycling of old content and tomes that are basically fossils and old beast tribe quests is all just incredibly disgusting to me. For chrissakes some of the best ways to do this grind is to do ARR Content like ARR Hunts and ARR Beast Tribe Quests.

I did that shit already. I'm tired of it. I don't want to do another sylph daily. I don't want to do another sahagin daily. I did my time and I got them all to max rank. I'm tired of hunt trains through areas and the bullshit it brings with it. I barely want to grind Esoterics let alone Poetics. We still have value on poetics. Even if you don't mind the grind, even if you're doing the grind, there's no way I can understand people saying that this kind of content grind is okay. This isn't even directed at you, but at literally everyone who is saying "eh, it's not that bad."

It's bland and it's not fun and for me it's all content I've already beaten to death and back. Bard bow is also BiS or close enough but I cannot be arsed to jump through this hoop again the way I used to.

For the record, I'm not touching the dailies yet, I still haven't done any Vanu or Sahagin dailies, so that blunts their usefulness to me somewhat. Hunts I'm doing, but catching a good hunt train is a matter of luck.

Mostly I'm just Tome farming, getting people clears on content, stuff like that. Also yes I can understand if this isn't everyone's cup of tea. It would have been nice if they'd done something a bit novel, but even a novel twist probably would've tied into old content someway, by virtue of their being so much more old content to take advantage of.

Still, I hope they do try something novel at some point. Last really novel step was the Novus grind, and that of course had some issues. XD

PS: Sorry for the double post, didn't occur to me to just edit this into my previous comment until it was too late. <_<;;

Top Bottom