• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

somebody's busy grinding a different game

tqidVOl.jpg

Valor

but even a novel twist probably would've tied into old content someway, by virtue of their being so much more old content to take advantage of.
It's almost as if this is the main problem with Heavensward and they did nothing to encourage people to play new content because they're happy with us playing old content for the next few months.

If this was about getting people to log in, like Angary said, they failed on a titanic scale. Again. We all thought 3.1 would save the expac. Then 3.15. Now we're hoping for 3.2 to actually not suck and make us enjoy playing again. I'm beginning to think that this whole patch cycle is going to be absolutely atrocious.

somebody's busy grinding a different game
Are you behind in that game as well? I had money on you!

I'm not doing it. I have 2/80 to my name and that was from cashing in poetics I already had.

There's a difference between saying "it's not that bad" and "i enjoy doing this". I don't really care about what people enjoy or don't enjoy, but my objection comes in when people try to say that the grind isn't bad. It's bad. It's insulting. It's another terrible step in a series of terrible steps since they released Heavensward. It feels like every time they try to make something good they find a way to shit the bed in the same breath.

The atma and dungeon part of this relic bit is actually pretty good. It's a medium amount of work for a modest reward of a nice 200 weapon that glows. The next step is straight up insulting, and I'm one of those assholes that did every step of the 2.0 relic grind as soon as it went live.

Again, it's fine that people are doing it. I'll probably end up doing it as well eventually pre-nerfs. It's just so transparent to me how this step is made to be hit with the nerf bat and the recycling of old content and tomes that are basically fossils and old beast tribe quests is all just incredibly disgusting to me. For chrissakes some of the best ways to do this grind is to do ARR Content like ARR Hunts and ARR Beast Tribe Quests.

I did that shit already. I'm tired of it. I don't want to do another sylph daily. I don't want to do another sahagin daily. I did my time and I got them all to max rank. I'm tired of hunt trains through areas and the bullshit it brings with it. I barely want to grind Esoterics let alone Poetics. We still have value on poetics. Even if you don't mind the grind, even if you're doing the grind, there's no way I can understand people saying that this kind of content grind is okay. This isn't even directed at you, but at literally everyone who is saying "eh, it's not that bad."

It's bland and it's not fun and for me it's all content I've already beaten to death and back. Bard bow is also BiS or close enough but I cannot be arsed to jump through this hoop again the way I used to.

And yet none of you actually have the courage to tell Squenix what you think with your wallets and unsub, at least for a month or two until they get the message that this kind of shit is not okay in a sub MMO. It's hilarious that FFXIV has worse grinds, worse UI, and worse cash shop nonsense than a lot of F2P MMOs I've played which don't even make you pay a monthly sub to play the game. FFXIV is the first sub MMO I've ever played which also charges you a monthly fee to expand your inventory, all the F2P MMOs charge you a single one-time fee for inventory expansion. And none of the F2P MMOs which implement housing force you to pay them money every 45 days to keep your house, I don't even know who Squenix thinks they are fooling here. I don't have nearly enough Stockholm Syndrome to think that the housing demolition isn't anything less than a blatant attempt to retain as many subs as possible from homeowners instead of just you know offering more housing or instancing it like every non-terrible themepark MMO ever.

iammeiam

And yet none of you actually have the courage to tell Squenix what you think with your wallets and unsub, at least for a month or two until they get the message that this kind of shit is not okay in a sub MMO

There's nothing courageous about unsubbing at all, and framing it that way is kind of silly. Unless SE actually called you up and threatened to break your kneecaps when you unsubbed. It's a product. People voicing their displeasure with a product they're growing less and less fond of is fine. People choosing to stop buying it is fine. Neither is inherently better than the other.

I play mainly to raid at this point. As shitty as the rest of the game has been, raiding has been an actually engaging and mentally involving thing to do with my time. A3S is still probably the most satisfying thing to complete in this game for me. Even the steaming pile of fail that is A4S gave me something to strategize over and talk out with people. Raiding also kept me busy with unbeaten content up until... like... Monday. $12 a month is worth it just for the fun I've had doing Savage so far, and I'll stay subbed at least through farming everyone out their mounts which will probably carry into 3.2 and hopefully better content.

I'm guessing a lot of people who raid are letting 3.2 be the patch that decides their future relationship with the game; that every single thing they've done in HW has been a bad sign is worrying, but we're mostly so deep into the cycle that waiting to see is a pretty logical approach.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
And yet none of you actually have the courage to tell Squenix what you think with your wallets and unsub, at least for a month or two until they get the message that this kind of shit is not okay in a sub MMO. It's hilarious that FFXIV has worse grinds, worse UI, and worse cash shop nonsense than a lot of F2P MMOs I've played which don't even make you pay a monthly sub to play the game. FFXIV is the first sub MMO I've ever played which also charges you a monthly fee to expand your inventory, all the F2P MMOs charge you a single one-time fee for inventory expansion. And none of the F2P MMOs which implement housing force you to pay them money every 45 days to keep your house, I don't even know who Squenix thinks they are fooling here. I don't have nearly enough Stockholm Syndrome to think that the housing demolition isn't anything less than a blatant attempt to retain as many subs as possible from homeowners instead of just you know offering more housing or instancing it like every non-terrible themepark MMO ever.

Have you considered starting a change.org petition?

Zakalwe

Banned
Awoken Anima achieved!

PLD weapons look pretty nice, although I think I'll glamour the shield.

The final 3 crystals took about 40% of the total grind time which was a little painful, but the dungeon segment was a breeze.

Not sure if I'll put my all in to the next stage, probably just let it tick up slowly or wait for the nerf, but I may go for it...

IvorB

I'm not doing it. I have 2/80 to my name and that was from cashing in poetics I already had.

There's a difference between saying "it's not that bad" and "i enjoy doing this". I don't really care about what people enjoy or don't enjoy, but my objection comes in when people try to say that the grind isn't bad. It's bad. It's insulting. It's another terrible step in a series of terrible steps since they released Heavensward. It feels like every time they try to make something good they find a way to shit the bed in the same breath.

The atma and dungeon part of this relic bit is actually pretty good. It's a medium amount of work for a modest reward of a nice 200 weapon that glows. The next step is straight up insulting, and I'm one of those assholes that did every step of the 2.0 relic grind as soon as it went live.

Again, it's fine that people are doing it. I'll probably end up doing it as well eventually pre-nerfs. It's just so transparent to me how this step is made to be hit with the nerf bat and the recycling of old content and tomes that are basically fossils and old beast tribe quests is all just incredibly disgusting to me. For chrissakes some of the best ways to do this grind is to do ARR Content like ARR Hunts and ARR Beast Tribe Quests.

I did that shit already. I'm tired of it. I don't want to do another sylph daily. I don't want to do another sahagin daily. I did my time and I got them all to max rank. I'm tired of hunt trains through areas and the bullshit it brings with it. I barely want to grind Esoterics let alone Poetics. We still have value on poetics. Even if you don't mind the grind, even if you're doing the grind, there's no way I can understand people saying that this kind of content grind is okay. This isn't even directed at you, but at literally everyone who is saying "eh, it's not that bad."

It's bland and it's not fun and for me it's all content I've already beaten to death and back. Bard bow is also BiS or close enough but I cannot be arsed to jump through this hoop again the way I used to.

I can actually agree with a lot of this. It's a lazily slapped together grind of stuff that has been grinded (ground?) so many times before. And there is nothing amazing about the weapon to sweeten the deal; it's just another weapon that would be out-of-date very soon. I really was kind of hoping they would come up with something new and interesting for this relic not go backwards.

You really seem to be quite bitter about this game.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I don't agree with everything they do, but I still enjoy playing the game.

Teknoman

Anyone know anyone who wants to give the game a shot btw? Because i've got an extra code to give away.

Soon. (TM)

In all honesty, just mention something in game about having the poetics bonus, and you're certain to be kidnapped. XD

PS: Did a bit of Coil last night for this reason, and I'm shocked by how much of those fights I've forgotten! Half a year of not really touching them will do that I suppose. XD

Definitely gonna make time to jump in with you guys. Know nothing of Second coil though.

Kenai

I'm still enjoying playing the game or I wouldn't play. It's that simple. When i was done with WoW I left, no sob story. If/when I stop having fun here it'll be the same way.

Not that I don't think that they've really got to step up their game if they don't want to lose a lot of subs (really dangerous thing to do, hard to get back old players/entice new ones for non-fresh MMOs when there's so many other things ppl can do with their time).

They can't keep making endgame activities so mediocre to bad for such a large percent of the playerabse or people won't have anything to look forward to. The timing for this is especially bad since it's all old content. I know they wanted old players to carry new people through as they made progress on these weapons (just like the last set of them), but that isn't all these sets should be for. They could at least pretend to attempt to make this enjoyable.That unidentifiable grind is disgusting and helps basically no one through anything.

I'll work on the relic slowly, just like i did last expansion, cause acting like there won't be a "worthwhile" weapon now and in the future is pretty silly (even being able to have a base weapon to adjust stats on like last time would be a big deal, and that's extremely likely to happen again). Doing a few roulette runs and using up my beastman daily allowances again is nothing special or overly time consuming and still get me there. Despite me not getting it near as quick as some, i got it in plenty of time to help with many of the raid bosses while they were still current, and for some classes it's gonna have some stat options we won't get elsewhere (hey healer weapon acc). All we need is another A4 type scenario (please no) and suddenly these will be a lot more realistic of a goal compared to other options, and will help a lot with subsequent clears to boot.

Omni

Been thinking it's time to take a break from the game, maybe. Thordan absolutely isn't happening at this point with random groups (no matter how well I may or may not know the fight) and I don't want to grind Alex a million times for a kinda ugly relic. Beyond levelling side jobs that I don't care for, there's not much else to do. Though that probably means leaving a community I found too, so I dunno yet

I never found out the answer to this. If I cancelled my service account with sub days left over tonight, could I reactivate and continue where I left off, later on? (As in, without paying for another sub)

Sandfox

Well it looks like there's maintenance later today. Gotta make that relic quest longer in response to people clearing it already lol.

creid

I never found out the answer to this. If I cancelled my service account with sub days left over tonight, could I reactivate and continue where I left off, later on? (As in, without paying for another sub)
Be very careful, there is a "cancel my service account" button on mog station that is basically a "delete my account" button. You just want to use "cancel subscription", which will just stop your account from auto-renewing.

ebil

People complaining about aspects of the game they dislike is a sign they still care about it. When I unsubbed for a whole patch cycle during 2.3 I didn't care anymore, I just didn't want this game to be part of my life.

For what it's worth, Anima weapon has me doing things I certainly would not be doing as I mainly logged in to raid and didn't even care about capping eso. Seeing people in the game world, seeing people happy about having a newbie in DF, seeing PF active and getting to mingle for activities that are successful is a refreshing thing, even when the content it's tied to is easy/old/trash.

dramatis

People complaining about aspects of the game they dislike is a sign they still care about it. When I unsubbed for a whole patch cycle during 2.3 I didn't care anymore, I just didn't want this game to be part of my life.
The person complaining most vehemently isn't playing the game anymore, and hasn't been for a while. Unknown Soldier has moved on to Blade and Soul, and back when he played FF14 he would lounge around in a skimpy outfit as a catgirl. So honestly, it's pretty obvious what aspects of the games he really cares about.

Omni

Be very careful, there is a "cancel my service account" button on mog station that is basically a "delete my account" button. You just want to use "cancel subscription", which will just stop your account from auto-renewing.

Is that how it actually works? It says you can reactivate it later on. That's why I wasn't sure if my sub days would carry over were I to do it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The person complaining most vehemently isn't playing the game anymore, and hasn't been for a while. Unknown Soldier has moved on to Blade and Soul, and back when he played FF14 he would lounge around in a skimpy outfit as a catgirl. So honestly, it's pretty obvious what aspects of the games he really cares about.
Isn't that the true endgame? Glamour and being afk.

Sifl

So, do you only get more then 3 Vanu Beast Tribe quests a day if you rank up? I was hoping you would get a lot available daily as your rank increased like the Ixal, should've known they wouldn't be so kind.

Sorian

Banned
So, do you only get more then 3 Vanu Beast Tribe quests a day if you rank up? I was hoping you would get a lot available daily as your rank increased like the Ixal, should've known they wouldn't be so kind.

It takes the same amount of time to rank up as it did with the ixal but with less quests needed per day. That sounds extremely kind to me.

Edit: And no, it's only 3 quests per day the entire way through.

Sorian

Banned
That's a lengthy grind I'm too afraid to start. It doesn't sound all that fun. Do you get good MGP out of it?

Card collecting? No, you need probably close to 2 million MGP to even get all of the cards.

Grinding the high level NPCs is probably the fastest grind method for MGP though, ignoring one off big bursts like verminion tournament and TT tournaments.

creid

Is that how it actually works? It says you can reactivate it later on. That's why I wasn't sure if my sub days would carry over were I to do it.
I assume you're asking about the "cancel subscription" part? I let my subscription lapse earlier this month - when you cancel your subscription you can still play until your month is up. As your month is running out, the login screen will say "you have 5 days left" "you have 3 days left" etc, and then when your time is up you just can't log in anymore.
It takes the same amount of time to rank up as it did with the ixal but with less quests needed per day. That sounds extremely kind to me.

On the day you rank up with Vanu, you can accept an additional 3 quests, so on some days you can end up doing more than 3.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well that's unnecessary!

They should increase the limit on the Vanu Quest or at least removed the limit on the 2.0 Tribe Quests and increase the Daily Limit above 12.

Sorian

Banned
Well that's unnecessary!

They should increase the limit on the Vanu Quest or at least removed the limit on the 2.0 Tribe Quests and increase the Daily Limit above 12.

Removed limit on 2.0 quests, sure.

Why would they increase the limit on the Vanu quests? They just came out a month ago and you're asking for a "nerf" lol

Talaysen

Well that's unnecessary!

You already rank them up faster than the other tribes with just the three quests (well, before they increased the limit, not sure about after but still probably true). If they let you do more, they'd just make you need more rep to rank up, and that'd be worse.

Wilsongt

Ouch. Drama going iiiiin

There isn't a three a day limit with arr tribes though. You can blow all 12 on one tribe if you want. You can only take 3 quests per npc. So while all of the other beast tribes have 3 npcs giving quests, vanu only has 1. This the cap. However, each tribe only has 1 npc offering the relic items as a reward. Thus SE manged to cap it so you can't get 12 items in one day from a tribe.

Squishy3

You already rank them up faster than the other tribes with just the three quests (well, before they increased the limit, not sure about after but still probably true). If they let you do more, they'd just make you need more rep to rank up, and that'd be worse.
Having just 3 quests every day is way better anyway, aside from the day you rank up and you get to do 3 more.

I despise the grind for relic weapons and I only just decided to do Atma. Got most of the Atmas ok but Outer La Noscea is fucking horrible, like 30-40 fates and no dice. That said I'm still enjoying the rest of 2.x-3.0 content, just unlocked Snowpoint but I'm catching up on dungeons in the meantime. Also can I exchange Allagan Poetics for th next tier etc (not expecting a 1:1 exchange) when I reach HW content?

Top Bottom