• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Used to be 15 mins!

On another note...this seemed kind of neat:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3xyma8/my_favorite_detail_from_the_live_letter/

And Lalas of Ultros...step your game up, please:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPQ0uF09Dho&feature=youtu.be

I always thought Aery was for some reason particularly involving with some of its mechanics. The first boss has Protean Wave, but not the regular one, the untelegraphed one from Savage, and then you have a small Zoo of Meracydia with Nidhogg. One of my favorite dungeons, really.

Cheaper to get it from CD Japan.

I think I might have pre-ordered the import already...and I forgot. But I just pre-ordered from Square Enix...

Just update the real world items and cash shop items once a month SE! That will save the game...please...I need more useless shit to buy...:walks into a corner:

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think I might have pre-ordered the import already...and I forgot. But I just pre-ordered from Square Enix...

Just update the real world items and cash shop items once a month SE! That will save the game...please...I need more useless shit to buy...:walks into a corner:

Amazon JP also has the artbook super cheap!

WolvenOne

The 30 minute DF lockout is still probably the stupidest thing I've seen come from this game. Withdrawing from the queue gets punishment? Fuck off.

I understand it for ditching on a run, that's fine.

If I recall correctly, people were coordinating to get into the same instances, by doing a lot of withdrawing or something. It's still overkill though, I think a five minute penalty would be enough to combat that sort of behavior.

Sorian

Banned
If I recall correctly, people were coordinating to get into the same instances, by doing a lot of withdrawing or something. It's still overkill though, I think a five minute penalty would be enough to combat that sort of behavior.

Who cares?

My original point stands, dumbest shit.

WolvenOne

Who cares?

My original point stands, dumbest shit.

I think this behavior was in part responsible for all the people pulling out of 24 Man runs over and over and over. So yeah, that was some rather annoying behavior.

But thirty minutes is still overkill.

k1t4j

I have been playing Neverwinter on the Xbox and now that I have an itch for MMO's i really want to try this one.

Seems a bit daunting, so much content and i just noticed the class I would like to try out is only available at 50? Seems a bit weird, but I don't know anything so....

Does this have a healthy population?

How are queue times for dungeons?

Does the gaf guild accepts newbies :p?

Omni

I have been playing Neverwinter on the Xbox and now that I have an itch for MMO's i really want to try this one.

Seems a bit daunting, so much content and i just noticed the class I would like to try out is only available at 50? Seems a bit weird, but I don't know anything so....

Which one did you want to try out? The only jobs that aren't available from the start are the three that came with the expansion. Which is understandable, I think. Plus it's not like any of them are radically different to the base stuff.

No idea about population but the queue times are okay. Obviously there are loads of DPS around so if you're looking for short times then you're better off levelling a healer or tank first. :)

SCoB had its good aspects but it also had the Bad Phase Push thing that is almost completely missing from Alex, outside of A4S because A4S is bullshit; having a death on leg 3 and then having Jagd dolls pop after the Manipulator is targetable is so rage inducing. Like, I lot of aspects of T6, but the original implementation of honey where you're punished for pushing phases at the wrong time is stupid. T7 was all about timing Mel's pushes; T9 had the Shadow thing. Lots of stuff where you had to manipulate how you interacted with the fight so it wouldn't wipe you. It's manageable, but it's not fun.

A1S and A3S being solely timed means you're always up against the fight, not "woops somebody got an upgrade and now we're pushing too fast, please /mdance for 15 seconds while we wait for the right part of the script."

I hated this about SCoB. I would be going like hell, doing good on DPS. Then I hear "okay stop DPS" and let out a sigh you could hear from space while I did the Sit emote waiting to be able to play the game again.

iammeiam

The good news is this is actually a pretty good time to get started. The endgame at 60 is on the thin side, but the A Realm Reborn content is pretty solid and fleshed-out, and they've removed a lot of the grind from getting to 50 the first time.

Jobs introduced in the expansion require you to have cleared the main story of A Realm Reborn to unlock them, since they're based in a city you can't get to until you're in expansion content.

On the other hand, the game is structured such that you generally want to do at least some leveling of multiple jobs to unlock cross-class skills you'll use later. So if you want to main Dark Knight, you can do your initial 1-50 on Warrior or Paladin and learn how tanking works in this game. Then at 50, unlock the new job and start leveling it from 30. 30-50 doesn't take long at all. Astrologians would probably be best served getting to 50 on White Mage first, and Machinists share a role with Bards.

It's not bad. The endgame is in a weird state right now, but that won't affect you for quite a while. Different servers have different activity levels. Ultros, where GAF is, is lower activity but for dungeons and things it matches groups across servers so that doesn't matter. GAF FC itself is still okay activity-wise.

Role dependent; they have I think made changes to give priority to people trying to do a dungeon for the first time so the queue time shouldn't be too bad for mandatory story stuff. Tank and healer queues tend to go faster for most content, but DPS queues during peak hours are usually tolerable.

Newbies are sort of the lifeblood of the FC. We have a lot of people join up when brand new. Some stick with the game, some don't. But we have no standards so you'd be fine.

Valor

I hated this about SCoB. I would be going like hell, doing good on DPS. Then I hear "okay stop DPS" and let out a sigh you could hear from space while I did the Sit emote waiting to be able to play the game again.
This. This a million times. People can defend scob if they want to but man that raid tier was way shitter than first or final.

iammeiam

We had a gobwalker driver death at the end of A2S wave 8 yesterday (we're bads) and I had to sit there watching a proc timer count down with my turret in Syberia on time out so the last mob wouldn't die before the rez and reposition happened, and I had SCoB flashbacks.

RIP.

Would you all be upset at a reflect mechanic like hellsclaw and the S in mor dhona do?

Would there be something else to do during the reflect period or would I have to run in circles spamming Heavenscrackers waiting for it to fall off? 0 problem reacting to the fight, but I tend to have issues with enforced do nothing phases. Especially when they're not by design, but because they forgot to account for natural DPS rampup over time when building out the fight.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
GAF raiders in a nutshell
MBRbMLCmwR-2.png

Valor

Would you all be upset at a reflect mechanic like hellsclaw and the S in mor dhona do?
I like the idea of the second boss in void ark. Change that up to reflect instead of null and make it pass the reflection back and forth with boss 1a. I would do that. Even add in a kill them within x seconds or wipecity. Look how easy it is to design raids. Also throw in rot. Lots of rot.

iammeiam

The more I read this thread the more convinced I am people read random sentences in posts and fill in the middle with their predetermined stereotypes of people.

Which is at least entertaining.

In my head you are all Lalafell. ALL OF YOU.

Squishy3

I like the idea of the second boss in void ark. Change that up to reflect instead of null and make it pass the reflection back and forth with boss 1a. I would do that. Even add in a kill them within x seconds or wipecity. Look how easy it is to design raids. Also throw in rot. Lots of rot.
I'd design a raid boss for the second wing of Void Ark where the third boss alternates between damage up vomit and poison vomit. The 50/50 mixup.

You wipe if not enough people stand in the vomit to get the damage up buff and can't deal enough damage to beat the enrage timer to stagger the boss for a OHKO wipe attack. Ultros and Typhon on steroids!

IvorB

Asami, here is the analogy of what it's like so you can understand our perspective instead of interpreting it as "whiney".

You have a thread for the tv show LOST and it's in season 4 (or whichever season was getting really bad). People are complaining and voicing their concerns. Based on what they are watching right now, they would quit watching it, but they are conflicted because they really enjoyed that first season of LOST and still like some of the characters in the show.

While you still like LOST in season 4, can't you see why someone doesn't, but iis conflicted on quitting because they liked what they got before and still enjoy some parts of LOST? So it's not as easy as "just leave".

This happened to me actually. I saw the first two seasons of Breaking Bad but the third season was pretty poor I thought so I stopped watching the show. But years later I decided to check out the forth and final season and it was pretty great. So things can go up and down but if you're not enjoying it now then you can just drop it and check back later. It doesn't have to be some final judgement of kind of thing. Life is too short to waste it doing stuff you're not enjoying to the max.

scy

The more I read this thread the more convinced I am people read random sentences in posts and fill in the middle with their predetermined stereotypes of people.

Which is at least entertaining.

In my head you are all Lalafell. ALL OF YOU.

congratulations on being a true GAF member

iammeiam

congratulations on being a true GAF member

I don't know, my belief in people being capable of more than they credit themselves for isn't fully dead yet.

Maybe after the holidays I'll be a hollow enough shell to just assume everyone is terrible and bad all the time. I'm taking notes!

Veldin

In spite of the odd phase change dps throttling (which is especially silly considering HP percentages weren't visible at the time of release without 3rd party programs), I still think Second Coil had the best encounter design overall and the best final boss. Enjoyed the game then more than any other patch cycle.

It sucks to go from that to fuckin' Alexander, a raid so dull it made my entire static quit the game.

ebil

I duo'd Ramuh Extreme tonight and ended up charmed right as we pushed phases. RIP. Was instantly reminded of the SCoB days.

They've since been really careful with this kind of nonsense (A4s being a notable exception but it's A4s) and I don't see it coming back. When they talk about 'difficulty' I always assume it's a reference to tuning, not to encounter design. ie they want/expect the next tier to last Lucrezia ~2 weeks, sitting right between SCoB and FCoB.

Top Bottom