• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Wagram

Twintania was bugged. That is not the same.

Twintania had bugs in the fight, but Twisters were not. I was in BG when it was killed.

Either way, the way SE treats hardcore players in XIV has crippled the end game experience. Excalibur is a nightmare.

rubius01

I guess I'm the only one who thought that FcoB was boring a shit. Battles were too scripted, and way way too fucking long. I damn near quit my static in T11,T12, and in T13. Looking back at the battles in ScoB, the only reason why they were fun to me was that it took a massive jump in skill required to clear, and I never raided before and I wanted to experience it.

I'm really glad I decided to opt of participating in Alexander Savage. I decided to go casual for Heavensward (haven't even touched Thordan Extreme) and I've been enjoying my time with the game. Is it perfect? No. (i.e. relic is still a time consuming, soul devouring grind, but that's not unexpected) But I'm not hating my life/the game like so many hardcore top tier raid people are. Plus, I still have all my gatherers in the 50s, only Carpenter at level 50 out of my crafters, Machinist nearing 50, Vanu Vanu allegiance at like...rank 5 or so... In fact, my "big" focus right now actually is collecting all the left side esoteric gear for my Warrior. Basically, I've just been taking my time with everything and I have a lot to still do that doesn't involve raiding.

Being a filthy casual is the best way to experience a game like this.

Teknoman

Im glad they will try to actually make exploratory missions....feel exploratory. But the bit about not relying greatly on player skill makes me abit weary. Dont want them to cut the difficulty too much, unless its crazy hard atm.

iammeiam

I still don't understand your group's fascination with A3S. I've beaten it now, I know what it all looks like. It's a fine fight but it's not some well designed masterpiece.

It's a really well designed fight that was satisfying to beat. It was tuned really, really well for what it was, there were definite moments of "we got this now" throughout/feeling like we solved problems in ways beyond gearing or DPSing past it, and it's been fun to watch it get easier with gear without ever being straight broken by over gear like 1/2 or an artificial gear wall like 4.

It's also not A4S. It's the only thing in weekly clears that isn't basically shut your brain off and autopilot or suffer until loot phase.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
They may not but that doesn't change things? People seem to want a fight that gear directly correlates to the level of execution needed for the mechanics. A4S is balanced pretty closely on Discoid / Carnage / Carnage Zero being lethal off a second hit. Removing that and most the damage out pressure is removed.

This is part of my worry, though. People treat A3S as the horrible raid-destroying boogeyman, when it's one of the best fights in the game that people just weren't prepared for in advance. I'd be fine with that fight, tuned like that, as a final fight. But we're going to get an overcorrection specifically to address the A3S complaints, and a lower-tuned A4S seems like more or less the answer to A3S beefs.
I dunno then, maybe I'm wrong for thinking A3S could be preserved (as a final fight maybe) and they could dump the rest and come up with something better. I don't think A3S is necessarily a problem either.

WolvenOne

Your link is down, but it might be the same guy I encountered. Blasted the entire alliances healing and the other healer on my team and claimed we got the win because he switched to healer. Rolled my eyes when I saw I had top heals.

Still sounds like a shitty fate rush over a drab orange sky.

Uh, all we know so far is that they're talking about expanding the Mission Goals you get at the beginning of Diadem. That tells us very VERY little about their plans for Diadem.

I mean, I can understand lack of optimism, but drawing conclusions based on literally no information is kinda bad form. o_O

Sorian

Banned
Twintania had bugs in the fight, but Twisters were not. I was in BG when it was killed.

Either way, the way SE treats hardcore players in XIV has crippled the end game experience. Excalibur is a nightmare.

SE doesn't treat hardcore players like special snowflakes.

QQ.

Twintania weapons should actually still be the strongest in the game but only if you beat it world first.

Edit: This isn't me defending SE by the way. I just give no shits about hardcore players thinking they deserve high praise for beating a boss. Cool, you got a thing, new things will still come out later.

Ken

I was always under the impression that OG Twisters were the precursor to OG Mudras where they forgot people outside of Japan had to do said mechanic, hence the breakthrough to clear being running in circles on cast to force positional updates? Maybe I got history wrong.

scy

I dunno then, maybe I'm wrong for thinking A3S could be preserved (as a final fight maybe) and they could dump the rest and come up with something better. I don't think A3S is necessarily a problem either.

Hopefully they keep it as a final fight, I'm just expecting more things where gear can deal with a mechanic rather than pass/fail execution ones.

Wagram

SE doesn't treat hardcore players like special snowflakes.

QQ.

Twintania weapons should actually still be the strongest in the game but only if you beat it world first.

Edit: This isn't me defending SE by the way. I just give no shits about hardcore players thinking they deserve high praise for beating a boss. Cool, you got a thing, new things will still come out later.

You sound like the perfect player for FFXIV.

Sorian

Banned
Hopefully they keep it as a final fight, I'm just expecting more things where gear can deal with a mechanic rather than pass/fail execution ones.

I'm a little confused. Wasn't SCoB built around insta-wipe mechanics and that was a complaint from everyone? It's kind of the same idea, I mean A3S as an example is still basically the same, the failure of mechanics wasn't an auto-wipe but it was just going to be an auto-enrage down the line anyway when doing it at more appropriate gear level.

You sound like the perfect player for FFXIV.

Go play WildStar, it's so hardcore.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Excalibur being a nightmare is SE's fault?

rubius01

Disclaimer: I haven't set foot in A3S yet.

I'm not sure I would call A3S a well designed fight tbh, because of the massive amount of static deaths/drama/ or people just plain not raiding because of its reputation. In a way it pretty much killed the endgame for a bunch of raiders because in a game like this where pretty much all endgame activities are pretty much only justified on how useful it is to help you clear the raids. I mean why the shit would you go farm diadem for an hour and a half a shot, hoping to get a piece of raidworthy BiS gear if you feel you can't clear A3S? Why the hell should you grind out a new relic
using the same grindy shit
because it won't help you beat A3S? For that matter why should you pay a sub fee to play endgame stuff if you can't beat A3S
or whatever raid fight
?

Its great and fantastic that you guys found enjoyment in the strategy and tactics of the fight, but to be realistic, nothing at this skill/difficulty level is ever coming back.

Only my height slider!

Bust slider is at 100 (which puts the character at all of an A cup)

RIP butt slider D:

need to change your age to 99

Sorian

Banned
Disclaimer: I haven't set foot in A3S yet.

I'm not sure I would call A3S a well designed fight tbh, because of the massive amount of static deaths/drama/ or people just plain not raiding because of its reputation. In a way it pretty much killed the endgame for a bunch of raiders because in a game like this where pretty much all endgame activities are pretty much only justified on how useful it is to help you clear the raids. I mean why the shit would you go farm diadem for an hour and a half a shot, hoping to get a piece of raidworthy BiS gear if you feel you can't clear A3S? Why the hell should you grind out a new relic
using the same grindy shit
because it won't help you beat A3S? For that matter why should you pay a sub fee to play endgame stuff if you can't beat A3S
or whatever raid fight
?

Its great and fantastic that you guys found enjoyment in the strategy and tactics of the fight, but to be realistic, nothing at this skill/difficulty level is ever coming back.

I think there is a lot of sense in the theory that the group killer has been that A3S wasn't the last fight. It's a good cap-off fight mechanically but the community took a morale hit when the actual cap-off fight was so shitty that the "correct" way to beat it is by cheesing a mechanic and relying on weakness timers to wear off on scripted party member deaths. People had nothing to look forward to. Your reward for beating A3S was a broken fight. T13 was about as mechanically challenging IMO but the reward for beating T13 was you won, you did it. The mental game is what got people.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Uh, all we know so far is that they're talking about expanding the Mission Goals you get at the beginning of Diadem. That tells us very VERY little about their plans for Diadem.

I mean, I can understand lack of optimism, but drawing conclusions based on literally no information is kinda bad form. o_O
There will still be an orange sky!

scy

I'm a little confused. Wasn't SCoB built around insta-wipe mechanics and that was a complaint from everyone? It's kind of the same idea, I mean A3S as an example is still basically the same, the failure of mechanics wasn't an auto-wipe but it was just going to be an auto-enrage down the line anyway when doing it at more appropriate gear level.

I don't mean mechanics that you do or wipe the raid but things that you have to do the mechanic, period, rather than gear letting you cope. It's more obvious with A4S primary mechanics being all damage-related. I'm not a fan of basically just getting to go "well, we can't do the mechanics right but in 10 more ilvls we won't have to!"

So somewhere in between, basically? Mechanics you have to do but aren't strictly because they deal too much damage.

Here's the thing though, I don't think the fight is insurmountably hard skill/difficulty wise? I think a lot of people psyched themselves out of it with how long the first A3S kill took and how awful it sounded on paper. It's a fight you can progress through and really see it get better.

WolvenOne

I think there is a lot of sense in the theory that the group killer has been that A3S wasn't the last fight. It's a good cap-off fight mechanically but the community took a morale hit when the actual cap-off fight was so shitty that the "correct" way to beat it is by cheesing a mechanic and relying on weakness timers to wear off on scripted party member deaths. People had nothing to look forward to. Your reward for beating A3S was a broken fight. T13 was about as mechanically challenging IMO but the reward for beating T13 was you won, you did it. The mental game is what got people.

There is a LOT of truth to this!

Been a struggle to keep people from giving up in A3S, and at least a few are open that it's because A4S is immediately behind it. Our PLD for example, has convinced himself that he'll need to level and gear DRK if we get into A4S. This belief hasn't helped him. <_<;;

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Viera are like 6'+ though. I don't think my cat is that tall at max height.
Good point, I suppose the double ears is also an issue, my only gripe would be another petite race which would seem like pandering at that point.

iammeiam

This is a huge part of it, IMO, combined with A3S week 1 reputation letting people psych themselves out. A3S with Ravana weapons isn't A3S with Eso weapons (and it certainly isn't A3S at i209.) Hand of Pain was this rumored 2:40 insane wipe mechanic, which stuck with people, but a lot of why it was so bad so early on is nobody had any idea how it worked (it's roughly Faust damage. If you're in A3S you should be able to Faust. NBD.) A3S got a rep for being unbeatably hard early on, and so when people got there and struggled it was easier to just blame the fight being too hard and wait for somebody to address it. Since, yeah, beating Waterman means you get to deal with seven minutes of leg bullshit followed by six minutes of suicide jumps.

Sorian

Banned
I don't mean mechanics that you do or wipe the raid but things that you have to do the mechanic, period, rather than gear letting you cope. It's more obvious with A4S primary mechanics being all damage-related. I'm not a fan of basically just getting to go "well, we can't do the mechanics right but in 10 more ilvls we won't have to!"

So somewhere in between, basically? Mechanics you have to do but aren't strictly because they deal too much damage.

But what's in between? Do the mechanic or fail is the premise and I agree, I like that premise more. But there is no real difference between do the mechanic and insta-wipe or do the mechanic and fail to enrage later other than the fact that the second one lets you practice the fight more which I completely approve of.

rubius01

Idk, I seem to remember alot of people just quit A3S way before it came out that A4S was a shitty fight. It seems to be the final kick in the balls for people who are still on it and they are saying fuck this shit. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong.

Or it could be I don't have a raider's mentality and don't look towards the next fight, I'm just looking at the fight I'm currently on. Plus, the rewards of clearing a final fight of a raid; eg. better gear, larger epeen. etc..., aren't important to me.

iammeiam

We knew A4S was a shitty fight before most groups even got to 3. World first pushers were vocally unhappy and I remember the initial clears being basically "this was bullshit but we did it."

But what's in between? Do the mechanic or fail is the premise and I agree, I like that premise more. But there is no real difference between do the mechanic and insta-wipe or do the mechanic and fail to enrage later other than the fact that the second one lets you practice the fight more which I completely approve of.

One of the things about A3S I don't think people fully realize is: If you fail to pass off damage down, you can drastically reduce the amount your group suffers for it by having the person involved suicide. Weakness is a much smaller hit to damage done, which is particularly relevant if you're looking at a Gaol section coming up.

Assuming you view 'appropriate' gearing for A3S as somewhere between i200 and i205, it was possible to do with a failed DPS debuff pass and subsequent suicide. Likewise, you could fail the tank pickup and have a tank death and recover. You couldn't fail debuff swaps multiple times in a fight and not enrage, so you still need a plan that works, but a single error wasn't the killer I think people let it be.

Sorian

Banned
Idk, I seem to remember alot of people just quit A3S way before it came out that A4S was a shitty fight. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong.

This:

This is a huge part of it, IMO, combined with A3S week 1 reputation letting people psych themselves out. A3S with Ravana weapons isn't A3S with Eso weapons (and it certainly isn't A3S at i209.) Hand of Pain was this rumored 2:40 insane wipe mechanic, which stuck with people, but a lot of why it was so bad so early on is nobody had any idea how it worked (it's roughly Faust damage. If you're in A3S you should be able to Faust. NBD.) A3S got a rep for being unbeatably hard early on, and so when people got there and struggled it was easier to just blame the fight being too hard and wait for somebody to address it. Since, yeah, beating Waterman means you get to deal with seven minutes of leg bullshit followed by six minutes of suicide jumps.

But really, it was a new patch cycle, people who thought it would be too hard to join raiding halfway through 2.x all piled on to 3.x raiding from the start but some people aren't cut out for raiding so they realized right away that there isn't some difficulty curve starting from 3.0 and going up, the difficulty is there the whole way though. You'll see a big mass raid quit early on in 4.x I'm sure too. That's just par in most games. People think new expacs are the time to try something new and with so many people trying, a lot will learn they suck at something.

scy

A3S has a lot of mechanics you need to do execute but not strictly about damage you take. We've had pretty much every single combination of Digitits fails and I think have a kill with an Embolus broken (or at least a low% wipe). Even then, we've seen enrage so many times on A3S (and A4S) with failed mechanics that let us keep going and work around it or at least like ... try. They didn't immediately end the fight.

Ken

I wonder if their Savage difficulty experiment would have been more well-received being placed mid or late 3.x rather than right at the start, when people are looking or hoping for a new expansion to also mean new beginnings and not a new avenue to getting face kicked in.

I want a fight where I don't need to gear up for weeks to clear it. If you can work out the mechanics and figure out the patterns/strategy, you can win without needing "better" gear (or having to spend ridiculous amounts of GIL to make sufficient gear to survive). No "shit, our HP is going to be too low for another 2-3 weeks till we get some more left side pieces, herp derp /sundrop dance until then" nonsense. This is another major reason why I love primal EX battles. You don't have to grind for X weeks to be geared to take them on successfully. I just wish we could get more.

However, I'm never getting this in an MMO raid. That would allow people to clear too soon and unsub.

One of the things about A3S I don't think people fully realize is: If you fail to pass off damage down, you can drastically reduce the amount your group suffers for it by having the person involved suicide. Weakness is a much smaller hit to damage done, which is particularly relevant if you're looking at a Gaol section coming up.

Assuming you view 'appropriate' gearing for A3S as somewhere between i200 and i205, it was possible to do with a failed DPS debuff pass and subsequent suicide. Likewise, you could fail the tank pickup and have a tank death and recover. You couldn't fail debuff swaps multiple times in a fight and not enrage, so you still need a plan that works, but a single error wasn't the killer I think people let it be.

In pug groups this was a thing. Saw some really...creative ways to handle mechanics to recover...I even tanked a hand from split to part way into Hand of Pain as WHM...and we still made it to next phase...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I want a fight where I don't need to gear up for weeks to clear it. If you can work out the mechanics and figure out the patterns/strategy, you can win without needing "better" gear (or having to spend ridiculous amounts of GIL to make sufficient gear to survive). No "shit, our HP is going to be too low for another 2-3 weeks till we get some more left side pieces, herp derp /sundrop dance until then" nonsense. This is another major reason why I love primal EX battles. You don't have to grind for X weeks to be geared to take them on successfully. I just wish we could get more.

MISTAKES WERE MADE.

Did they say if players have to clear Alexander Garbage before entering the new tier?

Ken

However, I'm never getting this in an MMO raid. That would allow people to clear too soon and unsub.

No one but tanks really used crafted gear this time though, compared to everyone getting VIT melds for T13.

Also those early week kill groups kind of prove a lot of stuff is doable without better gear! Those people just push their job better instead of writing book-long posts complaining about things.

WolvenOne

I wonder if their Savage difficulty experiment would have been more well-received being placed mid or late 3.x rather than right at the start, when people are looking or hoping for a new expansion to also mean new beginnings and not a new avenue to getting face kicked in.

Honestly, yeah I kinda think that if you're going to do a true savage tier is probably SHOULD come later. Honestly, for me the idea would be NM and HM raids introduced during even numbered patches, with a SM version introduced in the following odd numbered patch. I know they say that they don't really have the resources for three tiers, but I would think spacing them out would help them with that at least somewhat.

The problem of course is finding a reward for the Savage Mode version that's actually enticing. Titles didn't do it, and even gear only got people so far. In all honesty the segment of the server population that actually wants to DO a savage mode fight is probably really small. I'm not sure there's anything you can really offer to get more then the top raid groups to really hit those fights with gusto.

iammeiam

4 being the fight with the actual gear wall this timeis just another reason it's garbage. Getting to the fight and then realizing we had basically a month of waiting for Twinesplosion day before even bothering to really try was super fun.

I'm not sure there's anything you can really offer to get more then the top raid groups to really hit those fights with gusto.

have you seen the spider tank mount

the gun wobbles

!!!!

WolvenOne

In other news, I'll consider going to the Fan Fest, but I'll need to figure out better travel accommodations this time. Walking from the Los Vegas airport to the Rio Hotel was exhausting.

No one but tanks really used crafted gear this time though, compared to everyone getting VIT melds for T13.

Also those early week kill groups kind of prove a lot of stuff is doable without better gear! Those people just push their job better instead of writing book-long posts complaining about things.

First point: Was just accounting for a way it was done before. I don't want that option to ever come back, and by the looks of it, it won't with the updated melding rules.

Second point: I removed wording in my original post that said "elite hardcore" to refer to a very small portion of the player base that should never, ever have input on how to shape the overall game (except when THEY say something is too hard...) that had been attached to the statement. Basically, "Except for elite hardcore who are the extremely rare, definitely not the norm for everyone else, most all of FF XIV raid content is designed with gear progression in mind." And no offense, raid content is a team thing. You could be the Daigo Umehara or Faker, but without a supporting team, you don't win/clear stuff. I don't think you were suggesting that I should git gud, but I believe if all of this content could be done in a single player fashion, I would have been done with this shit a long time ago. No offense to people who like team-based/co-op stuff, it's never been my favorite part of playing a video game.

WolvenOne

First point: Was just accounting for a way it was done before. I don't want that option to ever come back, and by the looks of it, it won't with the updated melding rules.

Second point: I removed wording in my original post that said "elite hardcore" to refer to a very small portion of the player base that should never, ever have input on how to shape the overall game (except when THEY say something is too hard...) that had been attached to the statement. Basically, "Except for elite hardcore who are the extremely rare, definitely not the norm for everyone else, most all of FF XIV raid content is designed with gear progression in mind." And no offense, raid content is a team thing. You could be the Daigo Umehara or Faker, but without a supporting team, you don't win/clear stuff. I don't think you were suggesting that I should git gud, but I believe if all of this content could be done in a single player fashion, I would have been done with this shit a long time ago. No offense to people who like team-based/co-op stuff, it's never been my favorite part of playing a video game.

Definitely agree with this.

Heck, they could've made Alex, "easier," then Coil and it would've been a more rational decision. Would've made it easier for new players to get into raiding. Granted, other problems would've resulted, but it would still have been more rational then designing these fights with world first bleeding edge progression players in mind.

If you're the Daigo of FFXIV and you know it, you wouldn't restrict yourself to Totino's tier Ultros.

Ultros is where all the cool kids started, though.

And FYI, Gilgamesh horror stories are becoming more frequent. It's like the midwest college kid trying to go to the big city and getting chewed up and spit back out and coming home with their tail between their legs. It is not the promised land, the so called "promised land" is an exclusive club with Trump style borders built around it that unless you have a "no bonus" on A4S you don't even get considered. The rest are left to fend with the rising mediocrity of the PF pool of players left out of the club, and these people are encountering the same frustrations they found on Ultros (or elsewhere), only they don't know anybody on Gilga. The exodus is going to end as soon as word spreads more that it's a trap to move there and think things are better.

WolvenOne

Ultros is where all the cool kids started, though.

And FYI, Gilgamesh horror stories are becoming more frequent. It's like the midwest college kid trying to go to the big city and getting chewed up and spit back out and coming home with their tail between their legs. It is not the promised land, the so called "promised land" is an exclusive club with Trump style borders built around it that unless you have a "no bonus" on A4S you don't even get considered. The rest are left to fend with the rising mediocrity of the PF pool of players left out and encountering the same frustrations they found on Ultros (or elsewhere), only they don't know anybodyon Gilga. The exodus is going to end as soon as word spreads more that it's a trap to move there and think things are better.

The cross server raid group finder tool should help with this too.

WolvenOne

Let's wait for details on that, I would hate for people to get excited for something that will have inane restrictions attached (I'm assuming here).

Oh, of course. That said, "assuming," this is an effective tool for finding groups, even if you have to then server transfer it should at least help break get some people out of Gilgamesh and into the less populated servers.

My impression that it's far more common for people to have active openings in said less populated servers.

Sorian

Banned
You back out of 3 cross-server queues, you get locked out of your account for 30 mins! JK.

The 30 minute DF lockout is still probably the stupidest thing I've seen come from this game. Withdrawing from the queue gets punishment? Fuck off.

I understand it for ditching on a run, that's fine.

Top Bottom