• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Sorian

Banned
So anyway, I hate add fights. I hope there is no T4/A2 clone in the next batch of fights. Those are the worst! Amirite guys?

iammeiam

I could go for another T2-styled fight. Mini boss rush, some flexibility in the end boss you ultimately face (which, after week 1, everyone will do the same strat anyway but for the first week could be fun to mess with.)

I'm in the minority that liked A2S for the variety it lets you get away with (I've gone through it with four or five groups now and everybody has their own unique approach to certain waves), but I don't think we need one per tier and the fight is super Wildfire unfriendly.

Would also like to see a break from the 12-13 minute boss fight approach, but I think we're stuck with that one.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So anyway, I hate add fights. I hope there is no T4/A2 clone in the next batch of fights. Those are the worst! Amirite guys?
Everyone said I should love A2 as a SMN but it's still not that fun. I will always prefer fights with a giant boss and a few adds. Add phases like in T13 are okay too. Just don't like it when the shake fight is waves. Not in A2 at least.

Never did T4 back when it was relevant but at least that fight had a cool elevator.
Would also like to see a break from the 12-13 minute boss fight approach, but I think we're stuck with that one.
Looking for something shorter or are you looking to get away from fighting one giant boss?

Sorian

Banned

I still don't understand why they think they are forced to make 12-13 minute fights. Enrages should be like 8 minutes at most especially on unimportant fights. I understand making Bahamut a bit more of a spectacle but water ass man doesn't need the same staying power. It's ok to condense the fights and cut out the bullshit.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
What I'd like is more multiboss fights- the closest thing we have is Cadaceus and Opressor, and both bosses are essentially identical within those fights.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Also, after doing Void Ark for the first time yesterday I'm wondering why our raid didn't take place there instead. Way cooler than Alexander so far. Even feels like they out more effort into the cutscenes for VA.

iammeiam

Looking for something shorter or are you looking to get away from fighting one giant boss?

Just shorter in general; they have a bad habit of designing an 8 minute fight and then just repeating a chunk or two of it and loading the boss HP up so you need the full duration.

I still don't understand why they think they are forced to make 12-13 minute fights. Enrages should be like 8 minutes at most especially on unimportant fights. I understand making Bahamut a bit more of a spectacle but water ass man doesn't need the same staying power. It's ok to condense the fights and cut out the bullshit.

My cynical side says it's to stretch out the longevity of the content; my favorite whipping boy A4S is still introducing mechanics 8+ minutes into the fight which they couldn't do with a more reasonable enrage timer. The longer they make you go to see new mechanics, the fewer wipes you can fit in a lockout, the longer it takes people to get through things.

Some fights it fits better than others--I think T13 benefitted hugely from having the music change with phases, so even though the fight was long it felt different every few minutes.

Eldren

Also, after doing Void Ark for the first time yesterday I'm wondering why our raid didn't take place there instead. Way cooler than Alexander so far. Even feels like they out more effort into the cutscenes for VA.

I really enjoyed the Void Ark story bits we've seen so far. I like that it's tying together a few different lore aspects, like the Lost City of Amdapor (which we should be seeing even more of in 3.2) and the SCH story. Plus the characters were cool too. I dig the whole sky pirates angle.

Since it's Ala Mhigo, probably Rune Fencer based on Illbert.

He's a Rune Fencer? I must of missed that part.

Though we already have a Great Sword job as the Dark Knight, so I'm curious what kind of weapon they'd use. FFXI Rune Fencer used Great Swords (with the exception of Ragnorok)

OR since the job is dependent on a soul stone, maybe you can still use great swords on Rune and Dark just make sure you have the right soul stone equipped... they could do that somehow, right?

I think most people are expecting Samurai and Red Mage from the next expansion, right? That could be interesting. I like the idea of Beastmaster but would that work with the ability system we have? Same with Blue Mage too I guess. Dancer as a melee-range TP-using healer sounds fun.

Blue sounds like it would be complicated to add for FFXIV's linear job system. Plus I get this feeling they'll manage to fumble the job with too much ability management like they did with MCH. It's also a highly flexible job class in which there shouldn't be "one rotation to rule them all" where you can switch between ranged spells, physical spells, and magical spells. I'd be fine with a 1,2,3 combo system with GCD that amplify your magic.

Beastmaster... could be doable, but I'd like to see them as a tank. Where the pets are the tank and your abilities enable them to keep hate, boost defense, DPS, pet heal, etc. It'd be like the Titan Egi but on a larger scale. We could get a three pets, a magical tank (Flan?), a DPS tank (Cactuar for them AOEs), and a defensive tank (Crab, or Adamantoise).

Great now y'all got me goin!

Cmagus

Woo finally got my Twintania mount. Good old humble bundle, gifted my friends some games, gave some money to charity and I got my mount it's a good day.

Pyramidbread

Neo Member

I'm hoping they listened to feedback and the story in Midas will step things up a gear, I don't think the Goblin's are the true baddies, they are probably being manipulated.

Ken

I think the add fights have some merit to them since they're pretty flexible in strategy so you can kind of get creative with them. For example, having BLM ping-pong a Clockwork off the tank in last phase of T4 to relieve them for a few hits.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
JSome fights it fits better than others--I think T13 benefitted hugely from having the music change with phases, so even though the fight was long it felt different every few minutes.

I think T13's strength is the opposite, really- it's a long fight but apart from the add phase it feels like a fight building up slowly as it goes, as opposed to T9 where meteors feel like a mechanic taken from a different fight.

iammeiam

I think T13's strength is the opposite, really- it's a long fight but apart from the add phase it feels like a fight building up slowly as it goes, as opposed to T9 where meteors feel like a mechanic taken from a different fight.

I actually completely agree with you about this, though. Part of what I like about T13 (
and, yes, A3S, even though I shouldn't talk about liking it because elitist or something
) is that it does feel like a cohesive fight, and what you're doing in the final phase is a direct evolution of what you're doing early on.

I just think the use of Answers was brilliant because it adds an element of progression to that fight not found in most of the other raid content--hit a new phase, the song changes, the arena changes, the mechanics ramp up based on what you've seen before. Even though the whole fight was one coherent battle against a single enemy (barring the apparently mandatory adds phase), the changing music made phases with similar mechanics feel distinct. Dying in final phase just felt more epic than dying in P1.

[FC]: Found it! Alexander Prime, The Gordian Heart (10, 10)

If he has a tiny Manipulator inside I retire.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I just think the use of Answers was brilliant because it adds an element of progression to that fight not found in most of the other raid content--hit a new phase, the song changes, the arena changes, the mechanics ramp up based on what you've seen before. Even though the whole fight was one coherent battle against a single enemy (barring the apparently mandatory adds phase), the changing music made phases with similar mechanics feel distinct. Dying in final phase just felt more epic than dying in P1..

That's fair enough- first Akh Morn lining up with the lyrics was definitely alright.

Tabris

I normally don't agree with drama but she's right on.

I would like to have a conversation on people glamour choices and wanna see then defend them as anything but sexist or creepy.

How is a cat girl in a bikini outfit not sexist? This isn't a game about a day at the pool.

How is a lalafell dressed up in provocative outfit not creepy loli fetish?

It's s valid debate for this game.

Sorian

Banned
I normally don't agree with drama but she's right on.

I would like to have a conversation on people glamour choices and wanna see then defend them as anything but sexist or creepy.

How is a cat girl in a bikini outfit not sexist? This isn't a game about a day at the pool.

How is a lalafell dressed up in provocative outfit not creepy loli fetish?

It's s valid debate for this game.

Oh look, we successfully changed the topic to something game related and you just had to bring it right back in, didn't you?

Tabris

Oh look, we successfully changed the topic to something game related and you just had to bring it right back in, didn't you?

Glamour is a major attribute of this game for some people. It's as valid of a game conversation as calling out quiets design as sexist in mgs5.

Except you're the kojima here. I wanna hear your and unknown soldiers and Ken and others defence. Let's see if it's as bad as breathes through skin.

Sorian

Banned
Glamour is a major attribute of this game for some people. It's as valid of a game conversation as calling out quiets design as sexist in mgs5.

Except you're the kojima here. I wanna hear your defence.

Yes, except the issue was two people spewing venom in a public place with people new to the game visiting our community. I'm trying to avoid the shit posting that you are trying to drag right back in by starting with agreement on Drama, she's just as guilty in this non-sense.

Also, I'm not on trial, sure I'm sexist or something, I enjoy my half naked dragon girl when I'm sitting there bored waiting for a queue. Oh well, defense out.

Top Bottom