• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

squadr0n

Hey guys I'm about to resub since I left a few months ago, didn't have any time to play thanks to school and work. How are the que times for dps nowadays? Thinking about finishing my Ninja.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hey guys I'm about to resub since I left a few months ago, didn't have any time to play thanks to school and work. How are the que times for dps nowadays? Thinking about finishing my Ninja.
They're still long. Not terrible depending on what you're doing, but not short either.

Garlador

... About the same, i think. Sometimes it's instant for me, and sometimes it's 5-10 minutes while I run around doing quests.

studyguy

Island explorations aren't limited to your FC, right?
You can just form a party and go? I have two 50 ships with full access but I'm alone on my FC lol.

Tomat

Island explorations aren't limited to your FC, right?
You can just form a party and go? I have two 50 ships with full access but I'm alone on my FC lol.
You can go with other FCs and stuff. You're limited to FC airships for the hard stuff, but it seems so as long as you're in a party using some FC's airship you're fine.

WolvenOne

I'm really curious if the Hard mode will have better mining nodes, or if the primary difference is going to be tougher enemies and a better drop rate for high ilvl gear.

I kinda hope that the nodes will be the same in all versions.

PS: This reminds me, I've got to take my Fisher from 44 to 60 before the patch. <_<;;

Anyone have any experience with MNK in PvP? I'm thinking about taking it from 50 to 60 finally just to see. I'm guessing greased lightning is still an annoying thing to keep up during Seize, which is why I never see hardly any MNKs. I always did like their PvP pacification skills and their ability to Silence mages however.

Ken

If I don't need it, then I don't really care to do it. It was useful in D3, at least when having a secondary character so I could just gear up instantly.

Okay. That's what I've been doing for now. While I'm not in a rush, I try to stick with the MSQs only, while always eating +3% EXP food.

So should I just do the ones I need (like the ones in the MSQ) and after that, I can/should use the roulette?

Oh okay, this is really useful. I just wish there was a way to search for all FCs while in-game on a server, and sort by requirements. The official forums don't really have anything/much yet either. I'll go to a populated city and browse around people's profiles, I think. :3

Thank you, Ken~

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/

Roulettes are just bonus XP that reset daily. Definitely hit up Leveling Roulette every day. Once you're 50 you can run High Level and Main scenario roulette for some more XP. At 60 you'll be able to do Expert Roulette for gear currency.

I think while leveling, just take care of your MSQs and job quests and you should be good. Think the MSQ introduces you to every dungeon and trial anyways (and Qarn awkwardly at level 50).

according to the lodestone the guy is no longer in the FC... maybe he got crossed because we didn't accept the bribe.

Anyway I do have BTN at level 37ish but logs are only sold for 130 each, so it's not like I'm making much.

Is there a website I can use to see which resources can be more in demand (I know it changes server to server, but some stuff is downright useless anyway)

You probably need a level 60 gatherer grabbing the current relevant nodes to make decent gil so I guess figure out what 60 BTN can make gil off of and go from there.

I just don't think selling leveling dungeon runs is going to be that lucrative unless there's a new solo job released like NIN.

masterxtech

Neo Member
Anyone have any experience with MNK in PvP? I'm thinking about taking it from 50 to 60 finally just to see. I'm guessing greased lightning is still an annoying thing to keep up during Seize, which is why I never see hardly any MNKs. I always did like their PvP pacification skills and their ability to Silence mages however.
It's actually fun one of the moves gives u gl3 right away

All MNK's do is Shoulder Tackle into targets (especially healers) to stun and then try to LB them for a one-shot. Unless you're being bombarded/zerged, this tactic should never get you as a WHM. Especially if it's just you and the Monk (or DRG) alone. Using that combo in a 1v1 situation to open is like a wake-up ultra or online Ken. As a WHM, you should have StoneSkin up + Regen on yourself, and if they try that crap, you spam Fluid Aura because it will get the knockback off before the LB cast finishes, canceling their attack. You then Swiftcast sleep their ass and spam /laugh because they're a scrub.

Edit - Removed WHM stuff since you asked about MNK stuff and it wasn't relevant.

Anyway, as a Melee, you should be working with tanks to chain stun Healers (especially AST) and other targets so that they can be DPSed down without them being able to get in a skill. Nothing more frustrating for a healer than getting chain stunned and dying without even being able to pop Attunement or Benediction. Or you should be using your Stun into LB combo on targets that have already sustained damage, especially when they're fleeing.

It's actually fun one of the moves gives u gl3 right away

Thats good to know. You or anyone else wouldn't happen to have a good rotation do you? Edit: For PvE that is im trying to level to 60.

Its been awhile since I've played MNK since I got it to 50.

So far I've doing:

PB > Snap > B4B > Snap > IR > DK > Howling Fist > Twin Snakes > Steal Peak > Demo > Touch of Death as an opener.

Then I do business as usual:
DK > Twin > demo
Boot > True strike > snap

I wanna say DK and twin need put up every other combo, and Demo is basically every 2 combos, and Touch of death is put up as needed.

All MNK's do is Shoulder Tackle into targets (especially healers) to stun and then try to LB them for a one-shot. Unless you're being bombarded/zerged, this tactic should never get you as a WHM. Especially if it's just you and the Monk (or DRG) alone. Using that combo in a 1v1 situation to open is like a wake-up ultra or online Ken. As a WHM, you should have StoneSkin up + Regen on yourself, and if they try that crap, you spam Fluid Aura because it will get the knockback off before the LB cast finishes, canceling their attack. You then Swiftcast sleep their ass and spam /laugh because they're a scrub.

And don't panic if you don't have Fluid Aura or you didn't time it right. As long as you have SS (and hopefully regen) and are topped off (or extremely close to it), and you have Tetra/Ben in your pocket, you can survive the LB and then immediately top off. Then Swift Sleep the fool as they sit in disbelief and spam /laugh.

Attunement should never be used as a reaction to the LB, either. If you're popping it in reaction to the animation, you're already too late. All that will happen is if you survived somehow, you're locked out of actions and the DPS can chip away at you until you're dead despite the Attunement buff. IF you know somebody is going to be using it within next 5-10 seconds then go ahead and pop it ahead of time. Great to use to survive casters trying to LB spam your node.

FYI - I do not equip VIT accessories in PVP, I don't like the healing potency trade off just to be able to survive a few more hits in certain situations. Learn to use your tools better and learn better escape/survival tactics. 2K more HP usually isn't going to save you if you're going to die - healers should only be dying when severely outnumbered or trying to keep a tank/battle high DPS alive as a priority over their own survival. But anyway, I survive Melee LB's with no VIT accessories just fine unless I'm not prepared, in which case yes it is a one-shot.

As a Melee, you should be working with tanks to chain stun Healers (especially AST) and other targets so that they can be DPSed down without them being able to get in a skill. Nothing more frustrating for a healer than getting chain stunned and dying without even being able to pop Attunement or Benediction.

This is good to know for whenever I get into AST healing at the very least.

Ken

Thats good to know. You or anyone else wouldn't happen to have a good rotation do you?

Its been awhile since I've played MNK since I got it to 50.

So far I've doing:

PB > Snap > B4B > Snap > IR > DK > Howling Fist > Twin Snakes > Steal Peak > Demo > Touch of Death as an opener.

Then I do business as usual:
DK > Twin > demo
Boot > True strike > snap

I wanna say DK and twin need put up every other combo, and Demo is basically every 2 combos, and Touch of death is put up as needed.

I don't know if you really want to bother with Demolish/ToD in PVP when it's all about burst. Melee are basically assassins in Frontline mode.

I don't know if you're asking about PVE monk now or still PVP. :x

Tabris

I watched the trailer again for 3.1 on YT as it was recommended to me. The dungeons always look so awesome, the issue is they are just so boring after the first couple of times you run them.

What do you guys think about Savage dungeons? Tune existing dungeons to Coil-like levels, like early Coil turns like Turn 1. Give them 90 mins.

Then give them a better advantage. Maybe dungeon atma drop rate at 100% for new relics instead of the 10% of normal/hard dungeons or whatever grind they set them to?

Tabris

I swear i've seen Pharos hard mode before... Just got a real sense of deja vu from it.

It looks a bit like Copperbelt Mines (Hard) in the later part of the video because it's in the basement of the lighthouse and has bomb elements in a mine like area.

WolvenOne

I swear i've seen Pharos hard mode before... Just got a real sense of deja vu from it.

Well it's the same dungeon from before as far as I can tell. The big difference is that you're going down instead of up, and that there's an underground area, presumably where the Kobalds drilled their way in.

squadr0n

Is there anyone on currently from the Gaf FC that can send me an invite from Ultros? I was gone for 2 months and got dropped so my application is already approved, just need an invite again.

Played name: Kitsune Shinukage

Nvm, just submitted my app in game. Thanks!

Tomat

Is there anyone on currently from the Gaf FC that can send me an invite from Ultros? I was gone for 2 months and got dropped so my application is already approved, just need an invite again.

Played name: Kitsune Shinukage
You may not want to post your Square ID

Xux

I watched the trailer again for 3.1 on YT as it was recommended to me. The dungeons always look so awesome, the issue is they are just so boring after the first couple of times you run them.

What do you guys think about Savage dungeons? Tune existing dungeons to Coil-like levels, like early Coil turns like Turn 1. Give them 90 mins.

Then give them a better advantage. Maybe dungeon atma drop rate at 100% for new relics instead of the 10% of normal/hard dungeons or whatever grind they set them to?
And, after you beat them, open them up as field areas with gathering points, poetics shops to buy the old dungeon drops for glamour, areas for special treasure map monsters...

Tomat

Should I spam LLDR to relearn jobs I haven't played in forever but previously got to 50? Anyone do that or do some of you just jump into the new dungeons?

brinstar

so I just started exploring the Heavensward areas and maybe I'm missing something but is it just me or are the monsters way tougher out here? Like if I aggro 2 monsters at once I'm pretty much just finished.

EDIT: then again I played through the entire game before this as a tank and switched to ninja as my main so I guess I'm not used to being so fragile...

tearsofash

so I just started exploring the Heavensward areas and maybe I'm missing something but is it just me or are the monsters way tougher out here? Like if I aggro 2 monsters at once I'm pretty much just finished.

EDIT: then again I played through the entire game before this as a tank and switched to ninja as my main so I guess I'm not used to being so fragile...

Are you well equipped?

Moaradin

I remember them being a threat when I first got out there as a Monk. I was in full 135 gear too, which didn't get replaced until around level 54-55. 2-3 enemies were able to kill me if I slacked off lol.

daydream

Banned
welp, hit the level cap in the trial

definitely subscribing in a couple of days, does it automatically upgrade my account if i get the game on steam (which is where i downloaded/played the trial on)?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Went ahead and started a GAF FC Airship Exploration preparation and suggestions thread over at guildworks so we can get some ground rules set in place before 3.1. Post your concerns and suggestions there so it isn't a clusterfuck on day 1.

http://neogaf.guildwork.com/forum/t...n-preparation-speculation-and-concerns-thread

People complained that the zones in ARR were too safe so they ramped it up for HW. Pop out your chocobo if you're having trouble staying alive.

welp, hit the level cap in the trial

definitely subscribing in a couple of days, does it automatically upgrade my account if i get the game on steam (which is where i downloaded/played the trial on)?
Don't think so. You should get a cd key that you'll need to register to your SE account on Mogstation.

aceface

Looks like reactor EX is going to be available right out of the gate, nice. No having to do the 3.1 story quests first.

Also, Verminion tournaments, I hope they don't mess it up again (they will).

Sorian

Banned
Which Yoshisa says not to expect, so it should be new dungeons from here, unless they decide to do Hard Mode's of new 2.x dungeons...

I don't know why you'd expect anything different. If they want to stick with 2 dungeons per update, expect 1 new dungeon and one HM from Keeper of the Lake, Snowcloak, etc.

iammeiam

Looks like reactor EX is going to be available right out of the gate, nice. No having to do the 3.1 story quests first.

It looks like they're breaking up primal dependency for good? All it says you need is the "Heavensward" MSQ, no Thok Around the Clock. You need to be i190, but some eso/Void Ark/VoidArk upgraded eso pieces should be enough to get there without needing a Hive Weapon.

Top Bottom