• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't even wanna know what it's gonna be like pugging Thordan EX.
Queued into regular today, people started talking about 3.1, I said "This is gonna be the pug killer trial", they agreed then promptly took that Dragon's Gaze to the face.

I mean.

Sorian

Banned
Queued into regular today, people started talking about 3.1, I said "This is gonna be the pug killer trial", they agreed then promptly took that Dragon's Gaze to the face.

I mean.

Is Dragon's Gaze where I have to turn away or be paralyzed?

Redx508

If anyone is looking for a new video card

Newegg has a EVGA's GeForce GTX 970 SSC for $279.99 no rebates and a free Rainbow Six Siege or Assassin’s Creed Syndicate code which you can sell on gaf

Ends at 3am EST

NOfgFiK.png

Nasser

I want to get Thavnairian Bustier for glamour only. I was looking through the market and honestly I think the prices is absolutely insane! around 16m~

This body dyed Dalamud Red color is really amazing :(
ae566d9cf0.png

Sigh... I'm going to ask around my FC and see if someone is nice enough to make it for me for a reasonable price.

I want to get Thavnairian Bustier for glamour only. I was looking through the market and honestly I think the prices is absolutely insane! around 16m~

Sigh... I'm going to ask around my FC and see if someone is nice enough to make it for me for a reasonable price.

The item that makes it expensive (Thavnairian Silk) can drop from dragonskin maps, which are usually readily available on the market board. It doesn't have a high drop rate, but you could try doing maps to get the silks and sell the other stuff that drops to fund your map habit.

WolvenOne

I'm going to regret saying this, but with no DPS checks in KotR Extreme, that fight may end up being somewhat easy. I mean it's going to depend entirely on how many high-damage mechanics there are, and how difficult it is to manage them. I mean at a glance they make it sound like Shiva Extreme, where the initial challenge is just figuring out how to stay alive.

aceface

I'm going to regret saying this, but with no DPS checks in KotR Extreme, that fight may end up being somewhat easy. I mean it's going to depend entirely on how many high-damage mechanics there are, and how difficult it is to manage them. I mean at a glance they make it sound like Shiva Extreme, where the initial challenge is just figuring out how to stay alive.

How do you know there's no dps checks?

WolvenOne

How do you know there's no dps checks?

Something Yoship said in the last live letter. That they were going to be emphasizing DPS checks less, and they cited KotR Extreme as an example of this.

Though, to be clear, I expect there to be a meteor thing, and for their to be some sort of enrage.

aceface

Something Yoship said in the last live letter. That they were going to be emphasizing DPS checks less, and they cited KotR Extreme as an example of this.

Though, to be clear, I expect there to be a meteor thing, and for their to be some sort of enrage.

Ah I see. Well, I expect it will be the same as most ex primals. Good groups will have it down in an hour, casuals and pugs will take longer or still be having trouble when the next patch rolls around.

Squishy3

Yeah, well, clearly he hasn't been to many Ravana Extreme runs.
Eh, I cleared Ravana EX a hell of a lot quicker than Bismarck EX because at the end of the day with the people I was doing it with it was a simple matter of telling them "Do x when y happens" and then doing it over and over until we all have it down pat, whereas with Bismarck EX the answer was "DPS the snakes harder"

I think Singularity EX will be fun though. Definitely wanna see what all the weapons look like, the ones you can see in the trailer look really good.

Zhao_Yun

I mean.

I never see people soaking pillars.

WolvenOne

Ah I see. Well, I expect it will be the same as most ex primals. Good groups will have it down in an hour, casuals and pugs will take longer or still be having trouble when the next patch rolls around.

Oh, they said it's going to be hard, but it sounds like the difficulty is going to be due to the number of mechanics.

After T13, I can't NOT soak pillars in that trial. XD

aceface

Eh, I cleared Ravana EX a hell of a lot quicker than Bismarck EX because at the end of the day with the people I was doing it with it was a simple matter of telling them "Do x when y happens" and then doing it over and over until we all have it down pat, whereas with Bismarck EX the answer was "DPS the snakes harder"

I think Singularity EX will be fun though. Definitely wanna see what all the weapons look like, the ones you can see in the trailer look really good.

In my experience with Ravana EX at this point it's a matter of a healer with LB up surviving Final Liberation.

Squishy3

In my experience with Ravana EX at this point it's a matter of a healer with LB up surviving Final Liberation.
It's funny that that's the case because of how actually simple Final Liberation is to deal with if nobody runs around with their heads cut off.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

What's the difference? In both cases it's just memorizing a rotation, of your job or of the boss. I've seen people explain their inability to pass Final Liberation as "My mind just goes blank during that part". In those words.
Furthermore, Bismarck was getting downed day 4 in like i150 whereas I've been in a party of people with i200 weapons that couldn't kill Carapace in one go. Yeah, they should DPS harder.

Disgusting.

Happens from time to time.

IvorB

Why would they want to cut back on DPS checks?

I don't subscribe at the moment and I have the two factor authentication app. I received an email today from SE for FF14 that was in French when I normally get them in English. Is this normal or suspicious?

ThinFinn

We made it to A3S enrage at 5% tonight.

Really happy with progress given how the team was reformed just last week.

Was surprised cascade was cast back to back, skipping ferrofluid of the new rotation entirely. Might have taken too long with the adds phase apparently?

Will have to optimize our strategies to offset that final 5%. Any tips?

yaffi

ae566d9cf0.png

16m? The Bustier sells for ~1,6m on Shiva, lol.

iammeiam

Was surprised cascade was cast back to back, skipping ferrofluid of the new rotation entirely. Might have taken too long with the adds phase apparently?

Yeah, adds changes that up. We've seen the no-Ferrofluid thing, and we had one week where we pushed adds really quickly but had P4 issues and managed to get Cascade, Ferrofluid, Splashes, and then killed him during Sluice. I assume enrage would have followed sluice, but he apparently has a pretty lengthy rotation he can go through there.

Depends on where you're losing damage, mostly? You should be pushing into adds phase at around 68%; lower is great, higher is doable but also means you're going into final phase behind. Most people I've seen tend to lose damage for one of two reasons:

1.) P4 Digititis passing disrupts DPS. If your Digi pass requires melee peeling off the boss or a BLM moving pretty much ever, you're doing it wrong, throwing away damage, and making things hard on yourself.

2.) Way, way too much unnecessary movement dodging Embolus. It's possible to dodge with fairly small movements, and the less everyone is moving the more melee uptime you have. Dragging him back and forth across the arena doesn't gain much.

Both are surmountable but you'll have an easier time making the check avoiding the above.

5% as your first enrage probably means you'll make up a lot of damage just through familiarity as people get used to maximizing during the final fight. Working out group DPS buff timingsto line up with individual buffs may help there, and it's worth noting you only get 2 pots in P4, so it may be better to hold the last pot until closer to the end if it aligns better with other buffs than burning on CD (If I hold my third pot 90 seconds, I can add Raging to my other buffs for more overall damage.) also I know some groups melee LB3 the boss instead of caster LB3ing the first gaol, but as long as caster LB3 goes out early enough that it doesn't kill the hand, you gain 20k-ish damage by caster LBing 2 targets vs melee LBing one. I dunno which you're doing, but I've seen the math debate a few times.

It sounds like you're already in really good shape, though.

Squishy3

Well then, I haven't played this game seriously in a while! Let's see what's up! I wonder how many millions Company Tabard costs these da------

img_4073.gif
Started going down because FC airships can randomly rob other airships and come back with a bunch of dusk leather. the FC I'm in had an airship that found 10 dusk leather at one point

scy

Hard to say without knowing the entire group but the two big ones are to minimize movement as much as possible for Digititis (and, ideally, healers move for Damage Down pick-up instead of the DPS) and Embolus as well as making sure to line up as many of the DPS cooldowns as possible (e.g., Litany, Trick Attack, Potions, etc.). If DPS is there on the hands, cooldowns can be saved from used on second Gaol instead for the boss. Second P4 potion can be saved for whenever full buffs are back as well since doing so doesn't cost you an activation.

5% Enrage isn't bad though. That's less than 1% more damage per Cascade just out of P4 DPS. You can always try to push more pre-Hand phase or letting whatever AoE you have do their thing on the Hand of Pain check. Getting more familiar and minimizing excess movement and doing better with buffs should be most of it.

As for the skipped Ferrofluid, the fight scripting is a little weird. The big one to watch for is that you can move the boss too much between his auto-attacks which messes with his scripting slightly.

Ken

FF14 in shounen action manga style, apparently

Major suggestion: "GAF FC Airship Exploration" is really long to type. Let's call it GAFAF for GAF Air Force

they forgot the warrior :(

Here you go.

Does your WAR tank in Defiance? You can eke out more DPS by telling him to take Defiance off his bar.

Tabris

Does your WAR tank in Defiance? You can eke out more DPS by telling him to take Defiance off his bar.

Yeah, I'm staying in Sword Oath in all of 4th phase right now.

I'm still fucking up my cooldown script in 4th phase due to mechanic panic, but no reason to be in Shield Oath once I get that fixed up except if you get damage down (but we're trying to fix that) and need to flash spam instead to keep hate off the OT from a swap.

Sifl

16m? The Bustier sells for ~1,6m on Shiva, lol.
It really just depends on how big your server is. I've seen streams where people were showing prices on their servers, and some of them the Bustier was like 200k. On Mateus it's like 3-5 million.
Edit: yea, what server are you on that its that expensive

Omni

It really just depends on how big your server is. I've seen streams where people were showing prices on their servers, and some of them the Bustier was like 200k. On Mateus it's like 3-5 million.
Edit: yea, what server are you on that its that expensive

200k?!

I hate to admit it but I'd probably transfer servers to buy that. Haha, oh god. It's about 4 million on Lamia. If only there was an easy way to check prices.

ThinFinn

Depends on where you're losing damage, mostly? You should be pushing into adds phase at around 68%; lower is great, higher is doable but also means you're going into final phase behind.

We usually enter adds phase at 69%. I tried multi-doting (Bard desu) on both hands but that tends to screw with the hand of pain mechanic. I do RoD instead of bloodletter whenever they're positioned together though.

I know some groups melee LB3 the boss instead of caster LB3ing the first gaol, but as long as caster LB3 goes out early enough that it doesn't kill the hand, you gain 20k-ish damage by caster LBing 2 targets vs melee LBing one. I dunno which you're doing, but I've seen the math debate a few times.

I range LB3 instead due to the shorter animation lock. Is that not ideal?

Hard to say without knowing the entire group but the two big ones are to minimize movement as much as possible for Digititis (and, ideally, healers move for Damage Down pick-up instead of the DPS) and Embolus as well as making sure to line up as many of the DPS cooldowns as possible (e.g., Litany, Trick Attack, Potions, etc.). If DPS is there on the hands, cooldowns can be saved from used on second Gaol instead for the boss. Second P4 potion can be saved for whenever full buffs are back as well since doing so doesn't cost you an activation.

Yeah, our healers do grab the debuffs off DPS in P4. As for Embolus, we usually drag the boss across the arena, twice. Lol, will have to refine that one.

Unsure if DPS cooldowns from members align outside of the initial pull.

As for the skipped Ferrofluid, the fight scripting is a little weird. The big one to watch for is that you can move the boss too much between his auto-attacks which messes with his scripting slightly.

Huh, interesting. First I'm hearing of this.

I wana say he tanks in defiance only when MTing.

Good stuff, guys. I think we can definitely work on :
1) Aligning DPS cooldowns
2) Minimizing movement during Embolus

Here's our enrage vid if anyone's interested.

iammeiam

We usually enter adds phase at 69%. I tried multi-doting (Bard desu) on both hands but that tends to screw with the hand of pain mechanic. I do RoD instead of bloodletter whenever they're positioned together though.

I run MCH, but DoT both hands--once at split, then I pop buffs during Digititis and refresh Lead Shot before Equal Concentration, so I have buffed DoTs on both during the check. Even if you can't multidot during the check, Bard DoTs are short enough you should be able to get away with putting DoTs on the Limb when it spawns, and then not refreshing during the check on whichever hand is lower. In any case, 69% is doable but any damage you can squeeze in P1 is room for mistakes in P4.

I range LB3 instead due to the shorter animation lock. Is that not ideal?

For who knows what reason, ranged LB3 does less damage per-target than caster. It's still more than melee LB3 on the boss, but it may be worth trying caster LB3 there and then seeing if the damage gain in the LB is greater than the damage lost due to animation lock.

Yeah, our healers do grab the debuffs off DPS in P4. As for Embolus, we usually drag the boss across the arena, twice. Lol Will have to refine that one.

We hold him at the Protean pool until first Embolus, shift him to between Protean and Embolus pool until second Embolus, and then move him back in front of the Protean pool. It's still two movements, but they're relatively short and you end up really well positioned for Ferrofluid when the rotation resets.

People shouldn't be using cool downs during adds, so everyone should be doing basically a full opener complete with second potion during the transition to P4. If they all pop cooldowns including Litany there, they should line up the rest of the fight. If half the DPS holds until after Ferrofluid, it gets messier. Mostly for you I'd guess the key thing is making sure you BV Foe's at a time your caster has all their buffs available for max burst.

I'm at work and can't really get good quality on your vid, but it looks like you don't ballad heading into adds (all the buff icons are blobs to me but I don't think I see the ballad one). If your healers need MP at all in P4, and you're not ballading adds, it might be worth trying to throw it up during the transition then let it run a while during the phase where DPS matters the least. If you already are and I'm being dumb, or your healers don't need MP, ignore this.

RPGCrazied

Well that is annoying. I finally do the Temple of Qarn for the main quest in one go with the duty finder, which shocked me. Tough bosses in there. Now I have to do guildhests, but I never have. And the only way to unlock the one I need for the main story quest is to unlock them one by one? Who thought this was a good idea?

scy

Here's our enrage vid if anyone's interested.

From skipping around the P4, it looks like all four DPS pop their cooldowns completely unsynced. There's really no reason to not re-open post adds during the first Cascade/Ferrofluid since it's roughly a 20s period of DPS uptime; you can pre-buff during the reappear animation to not waste any time starting up GCDs as well. You open there but TA goes up during Ferrofluid and then Litany is popped afterwards. Doesn't look like BLM pops Raging Strikes there but floating text is hard to follow a bit and RealBLMs will need to chime in on how awkward pre-puddles Ley Lines are. Will note some potions are used during HoP, not their opener, which costs a resynced application entirely. Battle Voice can be used three times in the fight (opener, post-adds, final tornados) and looks like only once in there too?

But looks like some familiarity with the fight and better use of buffs / debuffs will get the clear. Less than 50 more DPS from everyone will beat the fight based off that so it's definitely within reach.

IvorB

Bismark Extreme.

Oh... I actually liked that fight. I really appreciated not having to learn a bunch of mechanics and being able to just rock up, dodge and DPS.

Well that is annoying. I finally do the Temple of Qarn for the main quest in one go with the duty finder, which shocked me. Tough bosses in there. Now I have to do guildhests, but I never have. And the only way to unlock the one I need for the main story quest is to unlock them one by one? Who thought this was a good idea?

I think it's a great idea. Everyone should do guildhests as it's great training for party play.

RPGCrazied

I think it's a great idea. Everyone should do guildhests as it's great training for party play.

Well, thankfully they are quick.

And I now get to fight Good King Moggle Mog XII, looked up the fight, oh this sounds so fun. /sarcasm. So many moogle adds.

Oh, didn't know there was a new thread...

Anyways do AMD cards like to crash in this game? Installed a R9 380 and two crashes today.

Squishy3

Oh, didn't know there was a new thread...

Anyways do AMD cards like to crash in this game? Installed a R9 380 and two crashes today.
Try switching back to the DX9 client if you're using the DX11 client. Had a ton of problems with the DX11 client to where it'd freeze every other load screen and either crash or take 5 minutes to unfreeze.

Seems like Blade and Soul has a crap load of skills like FFXIV classes do, but they only display a certain amount according to the situation.

For FFXIV they could at least do something like put melee combo abilities behind one button for each combo for example.

I remember them saying that they were going to provide something for people who use controllers due to the extra skills from the expansion but I don't remember reading about them actually doing anything about it.

Squishy3

For FFXIV they could at least do something like put melee combo abilities behind one button for each combo for example.
I mentioned they should do something like this awhile back, the only issue it doesn't work for every class, like the tanks, Monk and Ninja, since they have variable combos.

But yeah, like in no way as a Dragoon am I going to use Disembowel, Chaos Thrust, Vorpal Thrust or Full Thrust before their combo starter moves anyway, so why have them on different buttons?

Top Bottom