• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

It's not just you, I've heard it from a lot of BLMs I know. We'll see.

Machinist confuses the hell out of me at level 41. Need to spend more time with that.

Monk does sound fun.

If he really loved BLMs he'd give them old manawall back!

what confuses you about MCH? I'm only a couple levels behind you so interested to hear your thoughts. I'm enjoying it so far. The lows of "omfg Split Shot 4 times in a row and no proc game pls" are sucky, but then the highs of "holy shit Wildfire is awesome it's basically Zed ult from League and that's fun as hell" and "oh shit I got godlike RNG, 3 procs in a row for my full combo AND reload just came off cooldown" feel amazing

basically buttons lighting up = :D
buttons not lighting up = :/
why haven't the buttons lit up yet game pls = :mad:

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wildfire is basically a damage cooldown that's harder to use because you need to make sure the enemy doesn't die or jump when it runs out. There's nothing great about Wildfire.

I'm lying Wildfire is AMAZING

BadRNG

It should have been like T2 versus T2 Enrage. Instead it's like everyone is doing T2 Enrage.
I don't agree with this sentiment. T2 versus T2 enrage is a good argument/choice because there are very clear benefits to both strats. If you do rot correctly the fight is much much faster, doing enrage trades speed for much less difficulty. That's pretty valid I think.

What do you get for doing Nisi? It's just an extra headache for no gain, so I don't think you can compare it to the T2 situation.

Boogins

Well I guess I wasn't reading the fine print because I thought I could log in before the new year but I guess for returners it doesn't recognise owning heavensward. Bummer.

Edit: Never mind I guess logging in again was the solution that didn't occur to me until after posting.

Kenai

what confuses you about MCH? I'm only a couple levels behind you so interested to hear your thoughts. I'm enjoying it so far. The lows of "omfg Split Shot 4 times in a row and no proc game pls" are sucky, but then the highs of "holy shit Wildfire is awesome it's basically Zed ult from League and that's fun as hell" and "oh shit I got godlike RNG, 3 procs in a row for my full combo AND reload just came off cooldown" feel amazing

The only thing I dislike about MCH is the amount of buttons that share timers with other buttons (I am closing in on 58). Rend Mind vs Dismantle, Heavy vs Bind, Rookie vs Bishie and Silence vs Stun are a lot of things on on a shared CD and I am just not used to it.

But otherwise it's pretty fun. I do enjoy it a bit more than BRD although i will get both to 60 since BRD's AF2 is so good.

ebil

The only thing I dislike about MCH is the amount of buttons that share timers with other buttons (I am closing in on 58). Rend Mind vs Dismantle, Heavy vs Bind, Rookie vs Bishie and Silence vs Stun are a lot of things on on a shared CD and I am just not used to it.

But otherwise it's pretty fun. I do enjoy it a bit more than BRD although i will get both to 60 since BRD's AF2 is so good.
Yeah, it's really bad. It's as if their initial design included stances with skill mods (like NIN's poisons) and they decided to just drop that aspect at some point and made separate skills instead. When it was announced they teased attachments and in the end there was only Gauss Barrel...

IvorB

It's not just you, I've heard it from a lot of BLMs I know. We'll see.

Machinist confuses the hell out of me at level 41. Need to spend more time with that.

Monk does sound fun.

If he really loved BLMs he'd give them old manawall back!

Try it for yourself. I really like it personally. I think Blood of the Dragon is much more complicated, stricter and less forgiving than Enochian.

WolvenOne

Yeah, it's really bad. It's as if their initial design included stances with skill mods (like NIN's poisons) and they decided to just drop that aspect at some point and made separate skills instead. When it was announced they teased attachments and in the end there was only Gauss Barrel...

Yeeeeah, this is just one more reason why I hope they take the next expansion as an opportunity to rework how some of the classes work. Not just add more skills, but literally rework some classes.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

I'll run a dungeon tomorrow or something and let you know. I picked it up again last week for the first time since launch and just felt like I was doing very poorly. Coming from old BLM, I'm not at all used to having multiple damage up buffs where you (apparently) want to like things up. Proper use of reloads is still a mystery to me as well.
Try it for yourself. I really like it personally. I think Blood of the Dragon is much more complicated, stricter and less forgiving than Enochian.
I may, since I already dumped the crystals on the relic.

Kenai

I'll run a dungeon tomorrow or something and let you know. I picked it up again last week for the first time since launch and just felt like I was doing very poorly. Coming from old BLM, I'm not at all used to having multiple damage up buffs where you (apparently) want to like things up. Proper use of reloads is still a mystery to me as well.

Reload itself isn't usually that bad since that's something you normally want to keep on CD. The main difficult part for me was learning to do a "proper" Wildfire rotation (and I am still learning) in large part because of how the rotation changes during that moment, especially with stuff like Hot Shot/Lead Shot, since you want to squeeze every CD and Reloaded bullet you can into that rotation while buffed. That and the afformentioned shared CD stuff (which really isn't that bad so much as i don't really know how i want to set my bar up more than anything else).

Turret management is second nature to me coming off of playing SCH for so long (and it's pretty easy since you can resummon every 10 secs np), and the class is pretty forgiving with the rotation outside Wildfire since it's random procs a lot. Like, you can reapply Hot Shot/Lead Shot without loosing your Slug/Clean proc, unlike most DPS on a more rigid rotation more often.

Qvoth

Well... I just blew my relic crystals on the BLM weapon. I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable playing SMN so going back to BLM seemed like a good choice. Except for most people telling me it's a huge pain in the ass to play now.

Someone tell me what job to play.

ehhh you'll get used to it soon enough
won't be long until it becomes muscle memory and you do your rotations without thinking
anyway back to the no static life _:)3」 ∠)_

iammeiam

MCH is easy.

1.) Do something like this on pull: http://ffxivrotations.com/17w

2.) Every time Hawk's Eye is up, it's time to mash whatever buffs you have convenient. HE and Wildfire are 90 second CDs. Hot Shot and Lead Shot are 30 second buff/debuff skills. So every third Hot Shot/Lead Shot refresh should coincide with buffs.

3.) If sitting on something is going to cost you a usage over the course of the fight, it's not worth sitting on for Wildfire. So Reload, Ricochet, Hypercharge... if you get one extra usage out of using it on CD instead of holding it, use it on CD (Basically ask yourself, "Is this fight Faust?" if not, probably not worth holding. Hell, at this point you're probably not getting that second wildfire off in Faust anyway because people just insist on continuing to do damage instead of sitting politely and waiting for WF to explode.)

4.) Delay Reload and Quick Reload by a couple of GCDs if you need to refresh Hot/Lead Shot.

Everything else is pretty much pushing oGCDs whenever the game will let you, and remembering to check and see if your tank has killed your turret yet.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from Christmas vacation. Logged on for a quick peak. The Xmas decorations in the game really look festive. I hope I can finally make Bard this week. I still have so much to do.

Omni

Is there a good Bard rotation out there?

Flaming Arrow and EA/Barrage feels so clunky to me. I have no idea where to weave them in to make them 'fit'

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Is there a good Bard rotation out there?

Flaming Arrow and EA/Barrage feels so clunky to me. I have no idea where to weave them in to make them 'fit'

Empyreal Arrow should be cast as soon as it's available, first priority, it's your strongest attack. If Barrage is up, use Barrage with it (don't use Barrage anywhere else). While it is counter-intuitive that you end up clipping GCD with it, it's a DPS gain. If you have a Straighter Shot proc before EA is about to come off cooldown, use them in conjunction as Straighter Shot is instant.

Bard rotation is basically keep straight shot up, keep dots up (Iron Jaws when dots have 2s remaining), use the best OCGD available each GCD. For instance, here's the opener I use

(-10) Foe Requiem
(-6) Quelling Strikes
Blood for Blood
Hawk's Eye
Raging Strikes
Battle Voice
(Pull) Empyreal Arrow
Bloodletter/Rain of Death (the latter if your healers are DPS happy)
Straight Shot + Internal Release
Windbite + Flaming Arrow
Venomous Bite + Blunt Arrow/Repelling Shot (or Bloodletter if it procced)
Heavy Shot + Sidewinder (SW is delayed for the same reason Fester would be - server takes a few moments to realize both dots are up)
Heavy Shot
Barrage
Empyreal Arrow
Iron Jaws (If 600+ skillspeed, this will recast the dots right before the buffs fall off, extending the opening burst, if you can't make it in time with this GCD, don't use it here and let the buffed dots tick in full then reapply them manually)

The priority for OGCD is basically Empyreal > Sidewinder > Bloodletter > Flaming Arrow > Repelling Shot > Blunt Arrow
Always delay Blood for Blood by 10 seconds so that it goes together with Hawk's Eye.

Flaming Arrow is a bit tricky since it takes its sweet time to draw the targeting circle but I manage to fit it in the second alotted by already pointing the cursor at where I want it to land when I press the button.

fvng

Okay, I got ARR a month ago.. a few thoughts hopefully ya'lll can contribute some thoughts..

* man that is a lot of fucking fetch quests/bitch work/errands. these quests are so unfulfilling. it's tough to rationalize coming home from a tough day of work to kick back and fire this game up only to do errands for NPCs. I realize this is common for MMOs but I was hoping YoshiP would break that mold.

* Some of the tutorials could be a little clearer. I would have actually bought a nice hardcover strategy guide for this game that went into details on how to do many things, details on every quest, lore information, artwork, etc. Love Yoshida's artwork.

* I find myself skipping dialogue text for side quests that are bitch work, is this fine? I only read text related to main scenario quests/cut scenes.

* Speaking of Cut Scenes, I'm a bit disappointed that more of main scenario cut scenes aren't voice acted. I realize the major important ones are, but may main scenario cut scenes would have benefitted from it. Can't believe i'm saying this as an old school FF fan, but voice acting is really great at engaging the player into the story.. especially after skipping/skimming/reading hordes of text.

* I played XIV 1.0 for a couple of weeks and really loved Hildibrand and his sidekick, but they have yet to appear. I am severely disappointed.

* Looking forward to Heavensward despite my complaints but seriously bummed about the lack of trophies for that expansion.

* Speaking of Trophies, they could have done a better job structuring their trophies in a way that gets players going down a path that gets them well acquainted with all the basics in the game so they are fully competent. They seem like an after thought.

* What are the odds that the game engine improves over time. I noticed the PC version got a DirectX11 upgrade, but it would be nice if the PS4 version received graphical tune ups over time. How likely is this?

Sorian

Banned
Just cherry picking two things form your list.

Hildibrand has a big side quest chain but it starts at level 50 so you'll be a bit before getting the GOAT quests.

The trophies probably were 100% an afterthought.

fvng

yeah, it's a shame. someone said to upvote it for the next Q&A. seems like this is a frequent complaint

Sorian

Banned
yeah, it's a shame. someone said to upvote it for the next Q&A. seems like this is a frequent complaint

For the trophies? Meh, it's a PC game first (regardless of if people want to admit it) and it has an internal achievement system that is very dense with things to do at this point.

fvng

For the trophies? Meh, it's a PC game first (regardless of if people want to admit it) and it has an internal achievement system that is very dense with things to do at this point.

The fact that it's PC first and foremost is pretty irrelevant. Trophies/Achievements interchangable. The fact that they didnt link its own internal achievement system with ps4's trophy system is lazy. but my bigger beef is with how they structured the trophies/achivements in a way that doesn't encourage the player to be fully versed in everything about the game.

Sorian

Banned
The fact that it's PC first and foremost is pretty irrelevant. Trophies/Achievements interchangable. The fact that they didnt link its own internal achievement system with ps4's trophy system is lazy. but my bigger beef is with how they structured the trophies/achivements in a way that doesn't encourage the player to be fully versed in everything about the game.

The internal achievement system has been growing and expanding during each patch since launch. The trophies that came with ARR were locked in from the game's release two years ago. It's not really lazy at all. I'm pretty sure they are required to have trophies since it is on ps3 and ps4? I'd probably put in throw away garbage too. I don't remember the full trophy list but it's a lot of grinding (fates, leves, etc.) and leveling classes right? I don't know, I can't really care about PSN trophies or XBL achievements when it comes to MMOs, seeing as how the whole game iterates on itself so frequently, the internal achievements are really where the real stuff is.

The internal achievement system has been growing and expanding during each patch since launch. The trophies that came with ARR were locked in from the game's release two years ago. It's not really lazy at all. I'm pretty sure they are required to have trophies since it is on ps3 and ps4? I'd probably put in throw away garbage too. I don't remember the full trophy list but it's a lot of grinding (fates, leves, etc.) and leveling classes right? I don't know, I can't really care about PSN trophies or XBL achievements when it comes to MMOs, seeing as how the whole game iterates on itself so frequently, the internal achievements are really where the real stuff is.
I swear I remember there being a Trophy for something absurd like do 1,000 levequests and was like "No, hell fucking no."

Sorian

Banned
I swear I remember there being a Trophy for something absurd like do 1,000 levequests and was like "No, hell fucking no."

And then you look at the actual achievements in game and see that one where you get a title for making one million gil through only levequests.

And then also see that there is an even bigger achievement with no title reward or anything, just points for doing something real stupid like 10 million from levequests.

fvng

Right I know they were locked in 2 years ago, my comment was that the trophies they selected for the game were poorly thought out. I'm not expecting to expand the current trophy set. It is what it is, a missed opportunity. Even the in game achievements are stupid. My second complaint is about the lack of heavensward trophies which is pure laziness. Every publisher adds trophies for expansions/dlcs

yeah log 1000 trees, 1000 fates 1000 leve quests, 1000 materia crafting, 1000 guildhest runs.

there's like 10 of those. what a fucking waste, they could have put some really nice milestone trophies in there, or at least some storyline trophies
Rescue Milfina from the Garlean compound, etc)

someone told me you would get those trophies through normal gameplay anyway without having to grind them which is actually discouraging imo.

rubius01

If there was any lingering doubt that BRD is dead and destroyed.....
fcf3e27de308a33426808dfc3fd2dc47e6152a85_4.png

fcf3e27de308a33426808dfc3fd2dc47e6152a85_2.png

Top Bottom