• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

dramatis

Totally stumped, and already four days of my subscription have been consumed. Anyone else have this problem? What did the rest of you PS3 players do?
Did you buy PS3 version of Heavensward?

If you have only PS4 version of Heavensward, you won't be able to play on PS3.

Dunan

Did you buy PS3 version of Heavensward?

If you have only PS4 version of Heavensward, you won't be able to play on PS3.

Come on, I may be stupid, but I'm not that stupid. Yes, without question, I bought ARR and HW for both PS4 and PS3. I can even see the PS3 purchase in my history on the PS Store. It just doesn't appear in my download list and cannot be acquired.

When you run the game, it should do it's internal downloading, HW is a part of that. If you want to verify, go try to make a new character and you should have the option to mane an Au Ra.

Let me try that now. When I run the game, it updates, but shows an ARR logo. (Edit: but in the XMB, it has a Heavensward logo... but is only 12 GB, and under "Information" submenu it is version 2.00.)

I'm this close to just conceding my purchase of ARR, HW, and the one-month subscription as wasted money.

Sorian

Banned
Come on, I may be stupid, but I'm not that stupid. Yes, without question, I bought ARR and HW for both PS4 and PS3. I can even see the PS3 purchase in my history on the PS Store. It just doesn't appear in my download list and cannot be acquired.

Let me try that now. When I run the game, it updates, but shows an ARR logo. (Edit: but in the XMB, it has a Heavensward logo... but is only 12 GB, and under "Information" submenu it is version 2.00.)

I'm this close to just conceding my purchase of ARR, HW, and the one-month subscription as wasted money.

I play on computer so I'm just helping as best as I can but the bolded seems like something is wrong? Is your game updated (are you able to log in) because I would think it shouldn't say 2.00? You should be on the same version number as everyone else so 3.05 or 3.08 or something.

aceface

When you log onto mogstation, does it show you as having a liscence for PS3 and ps4 for ARR and HW? Are you logging on with the same PSN account as you bought/registered the game with?

Anyways, I don't this this is a Sony issue. If you have a liscence for HW it should automatically download through the launcher. I'd give SE online chat support a try before you give up. I've had good luck with them in the past.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Kinda wish WAR had full-on DPS options sort of like going fury or arms warrior in WoW. I like the badassery of going around with a huge axe, but would really like it in a 100% DPS capacity, while shedding the tank role.

studyguy

Kinda wish WAR had full-on DPS options sort of like going fury or arms warrior in WoW. I like the badassery of going around with a huge axe, but would really like it in a 100% DPS capacity, while shedding the tank role.

It does, it's called Fell Cleave spam.

Going balls to the wall sustain on WAR is stupid right now compared to the other tanks, it's not even close.
Equilibrium and self heals it's a fucking weird place right now that isn't comparable to DRK/PLD both on and off the tank role. Without tank responsibilities WAR DPS is nuts.

IvorB

Hey GAF, can anyone help with this problem I'm having? How exactly do you download Heavensward from the PSN if you already have the game installed? I entered ARR and HW codes into the PSN Store at the same time, and only ARR appeared in my download list.

HW shows up in my Transaction History, but not in my Download List.

Sony chat is giving me the runaround (first they blamed it on maintenance, then they told me to delete my installed ARR and download it again, saying that the Mog Station would let me install it through the game client, and this does not seem to be true for the PS3 version).

Restarted the PS3 ARR client, and while the icon now has the Heavensward logo on it, when it starts up and I log into my SE account and select a character, it denies me, saying that I have to have installed Heavensward to play (this makes sense, because I left my protagonist in Ishgard last time around, playing on PS4).

I don't see any way of actually acquiring Heavensward.

Totally stumped, and already four days of my subscription have been consumed. Anyone else have this problem? What did the rest of you PS3 players do?

Pretty sure HW is added to your SE account at the mogstation level and not added via PSN. If you have logged into the client and it's not downloading HW then probably you will need to take it up with SE support.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It does, it's called Fell Cleave spam.

Not really, and it's something I could see being dialed back at some point depending how the devs decide to do future patches. The numbers are pretty good, especially in the context of tanking, but would love an absolute DPS role.

Dunan

When you log onto mogstation, does it show you as having a liscence for PS3 and ps4 for ARR and HW? Are you logging on with the same PSN account as you bought/registered the game with?

Anyways, I don't this this is a Sony issue. If you have a liscence for HW it should automatically download through the launcher. I'd give SE online chat support a try before you give up. I've had good luck with them in the past.

Pretty sure HW is added to your SE account at the mogstation level and not added via PSN. If you have logged into the client and it's not downloading HW then probably you will need to take it up with SE support.

Mogstation shows me as owning both ARR and HW on the PS3 as well as on PS4.

SE support says that it's a PSN issue; PSN claims that it's done through Mogstation while the game is running. Mogstation says that you don't redeem codes for the PS3 version that way; you have to use a computer.

Just plain stumped and angry that I wasted all this money and effort.

Edit: screenshots: one shows my purchase of this game on PSN, the other shows the Heavensward logo in my PS3 XMB despite it being version 2.00.

AsbgU4q

http://imgur.com/gallery/AsbgU4q/

aceface

No you do either have to buy it on PSN or enter a code on PSN. But the patch itself downloads through the launcher.

studyguy

Not really, and it's something I could see being dialed back at some point depending how the devs decide to do future patches. The numbers are pretty good, especially in the context of tanking, but would love an absolute DPS role.

Talking more sustained damage. In terms of keeping the parses going beyond the 3 or 4 minute mark where PLD and DRK tap out, it's a different ball game. WAR really is in a league of its own even without a dedicated DPS style. I'd also like to see more versatility, but I'm not holding my breath with SE.

Squishy3

Sounds like you should go do Savage Alex where Warriors are basically another DPS outside of the parts where they actually need to do tank stuff

dramatis

SE support says that it's a PSN issue; PSN claims that it's done through Mogstation while the game is running. Mogstation says that you don't redeem codes for the PS3 version that way; you have to use a computer.

Edit: screenshots: one shows my purchase of this game on PSN, the other shows the Heavensward logo in my PS3 XMB despite it being version 2.00.

AsbgU4q

The Heavensward logo on the old FF14 game is correct.

If the launcher tells you that you don't have Heavensward the game, it's probably a Mogstation problem and not a PSN/Sony problem. I don't know about the download list though. When I got the expansion it's just started up without any trouble.

Omni

You could put another /ac Raise <t> after the first one if you want to keep the wait 1.
That doesn't work either... Hmm.

It works if I change it to 1.5, but it rounds up anyway, right? So that's just 2 seconds. I don't understand it. I can push the two buttons quicker manually, so I don't think it's a latency thing messing it up.

Don't use "wait 2". Try putting quotes on the action names.

"Swiftcast"
"Raise"
Etc.

If it still doesn't work strip out the wait and treat the single button as multifunction. Press once for Swiftcast, press second time for Raise.

I'll probably just have to do this. Kind of annoying as hotbar space is limited on PS4 though (will have to have another spot for regular swiftcast or raise this way).

AsbgU4q

Seems like it is a SE issue, if they refuse to add the missed game time, ask to escalate it to a manager, that's how I got stuff sorted after I had an issue with mogstation before.

It works if I change it to 1.5, but it rounds up anyway, right? So that's just 2 seconds. I don't understand it. I can push the two buttons quicker manually, so I don't think it's a latency thing messing it up.

I'll probably just have to do this. Kind of annoying as hotbar space is limited on PS4 though (will have to have another spot for regular swiftcast or raise this way).

You shouldn't be using Swiftcast just for Raise anyway. Swiftcast+Raise macros never worked well for me, I don't understand why people use them.

If you find you don't have space for your go-to skills or skills that need to be immediately accessible like Swiftcast, try putting longer cooldowns or less-frequently used skills on a secondary bar and creating additional hotbars so that you can still see cooldowns:

bar1ndk9b.png

(Simple example; column to the right is an extra hotbar)

Makes things much easier. You can use horizontal or vertical hotbars and resize or position them so that you have the UI you want.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If you find you don't have space for your go-to skills or skills that need to be immediately accessible like Swiftcast, try putting longer cooldowns or less-frequently used skills on a secondary bar and creating additional hotbars so that you can still see cooldowns:

bar1ndk9b.png

Makes things much easier. You can use horizontal or vertical hotbars and resize or position them so that you have the UI you want.
Still don't know how you pull SMN off on a controller. Seems like it'd be crazy.

aceface

You don't want to macro swiftcast to raise anyways, in case you want to use that swiftcast for other stuff.

RPGCrazied

Ugh, when is this going to end. I want to get into Heavensward, but the main campaign just won't end? I'm a little past killing the moogle king.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ugh, when is this going to end. I want to get into Heavensward, but the main campaign just won't end? I'm a little past killing the moogle king.
King MOG 2.1
Levi 2.2
Rahmuh 2.3
Shiva 2.4
Lake dungeon and two big boss fights 2.5

Then 3.0 starts

Don't worry about getting into hHeavensward and just play the story for what it is. You get exp the whole way.

Squishy3

No, I don't I don't have HS yet. I'm capped at 50. I'm guessing I should buy it now to unlock 50-60 so I can get some XP out of this?
Yeah, I'd say sooner rather than later. Between daily roulettes and the XP they added to the patch 2.x MSQ quests you'll end up at around 53 or 54 by the time you enter Heavensward, and this'll let you avoid being level-gated by the MSQ because all the Heavensward MSQ XP won't be going towards getting you to 51.

RPGCrazied

You might as well!
Also it's HW (Heavens~ward). D:

Haha, you are right about that. Man I wanted to wait until it was $20 dollars. Still not there yet. I guess I could play more of my other job, trying for that black mage.

Omni

You shouldn't be using Swiftcast just for Raise anyway. Swiftcast+Raise macros never worked well for me, I don't understand why people use them.

You don't want to macro swiftcast to raise anyways, in case you want to use that swiftcast for other stuff.
Oh yeah, I'm an idiot. For some reason I thought I would have to find another space, when in actuality I could just replace my current raise macro. I keep swiftcast separate too :)

On the topic of hotbars, is there anything important I'm missing here?

kDnsQs.png

The second one is a bit messy (I don't think I've ever used Blizzard II) so I plan to sort that out sooner or later.

aceface

Oh yeah, I'm an idiot. For some reason I thought I would have to find another space, when in actuality I could just replace my current raise macro. I keep swiftcast separate too :)

On the topic of hotbars, is there anything important I'm missing here?

Just quickly glancing through: Eye for an Eye

The Swiftcast will only be used up in a Swiftcast+Raise macro if you're currently selecting a dead target. If you want to do something like Swiftcast+Stoneskin II then just make sure you're not targeting someone who is dead before you do it.

If you need space on your second bar consider moving all of your mount/sprint stuff to your third bar and toggle the option that lets you switch between bars with a tap of R1 (make sure you select bars 1 and 3 so it only cycles between those two).

Got MNK to 59 in 2 days, and the only thing I can say about the 50-60 abilities is they are nice QoL adjustments. Form shift is really nice for keeping GL3, Forbidden Chakra is great in an opener as well as Elixir Field, and Purify I haven't had a use for yet but I'm sure will be great in endgame events.

Now to figure out how this'll all work in PvP cause there's definitely some nice burst potential with Chakra and soon to be Tornado kick.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The Swiftcast will only be used up in a Swiftcast+Raise macro if you're currently selecting a dead target. If you want to do something like Swiftcast+Stoneskin II then just make sure you're not targeting someone who is dead before you do it.

If you need space on your second bar consider moving all of your mount/sprint stuff to your third bar and toggle the option that lets you switch between bars with a tap of R1 (make sure you select bars 1 and 3 so it only cycles between those two).

Irrelevant, the starting target for Stoneskin 2 is always you.

Omni

Just quickly glancing through: Eye for an Eye
Is EfaE... worth the effort of levelling up 19 extra levels of Arcanist?

When I switched over to WHM as my "main", I read the descriptions of the possible cross class skills and it seemed kinda... average? So I just didn't bother. What is it, like a 5% chance that an enemy does 10% less melee damage or something? Does that really make a difference?

scy

Is EfaE... worth the effort of levelling up 19 extra levels of Arcanist?

When I switched over to WHM as my "main", I read the descriptions of the possible cross class skills and it seemed kinda... average? So I just didn't bother. What is it, like a 5% chance that an enemy does 10% less melee damage or something? Does that really make a difference?

You buff the tank with it, this buff lasts 30 seconds. Anything considered a melee attack on them has a 20% chance to proc a 20 second debuff on the attacker that reduces all their damage output by 10%. Basically, an RNG chance to proc Storm's Path / Reprisal on the enemy attacking the person you buffed.

Honestly, it's a skill that does a lot of potential damage reduction when used properly but most people don't use it or don't know how it even functions.

Playing SMN on a controller is just about the hardest shit you can do in this game. I level my SCH to 60 so of course my SMN got dragged along for the ride and every time I play my SMN I realize how many fucking buttons and meters and bars I have to pay attention to.

Shit can get a bit overwhelming when it isn't a class you typically play.

Dunan

The Heavensward logo on the old FF14 game is correct.

If the launcher tells you that you don't have Heavensward the game, it's probably a Mogstation problem and not a PSN/Sony problem. I don't know about the download list though. When I got the expansion it's just started up without any trouble.

Contacted the SE help desk and all of their potential solutions were duds: re-download ARR from the PSN; reboot PS3 in safe mode and Rebuild Database, then reboot again in safe mode and Restore File System.

I logged on with my secondary character whom I almost never use but who was in an ARR location and messaged the GM, asking to have my main character teleported to a non-Heavensward location so that I can at least get something out of this game. None of the categories really fit, so I chose "Harassment" and reported the Playstation Network itself, not another player, as the harasser because it refuses to see that I own this game.

Seems like it is a SE issue, if they refuse to add the missed game time, ask to escalate it to a manager, that's how I got stuff sorted after I had an issue with mogstation before.

They say they can't add, or pause or freeze, subscription time, nor can they refund it.

PSN redeemed codes cannot be refunded either. (Ah, the glorious digital future!)

BTW, wonderful quote from Jordan at the SE help desk:

Sony will be able to see what's going on with the game license(s) and they'll be able to restore them for you. I must also let you know to be careful with your wording when speaking with Sony. You kinda have to keep from mentioning "Square Enix" or "Final Fantasy" because the moment you do, they will literally stop what they are doing and say it's not their problem.

Maybe I'll just develop that secondary character on the Japanese server, who only has one class at level 17. Another partial solution might be to find an internet cafe that has this game, log in once, move out of Ishgard, and then go home and play pre-3.0 stuff. Can you log into this game on a public PC if you don't have a PC game license of your own?

aceface

You could tell someone you trust who has HW downloaded on PS4 your PSN and SE logins to move you. I would do it if you want to set some temp passwords up or something.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with this :( On your download list, it doesn't let you choose HW to re-download it? Thinking back now there is a download from the store for HW that you get first before the launcher does its thing. If you go back to HW on the store, there no option to re-download it?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You could tell someone you trust who has HW downloaded on PS4 your PSN and SE logins to move you. I would do it if you want to set some temp passwords up or something.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with this :( On your download list, it doesn't let you choose HW to re-download it? Thinking back now there is a download from the store for HW that you get first before the launcher does its thing. If you go back to HW on the store, there no option to re-download it?

Does it work this way on Playstation? I thought it forcibly ties one SE account to one PSN account and you can't change that at all.

aceface

Does it work this way on Playstation? I thought it forcibly ties one SE account to one PSN account and you can't change that at all.

It does but you can log on to that PSN account on any playstation. I go to my friends house and log on on his from time to time to show him how far along I am.

Dunan

I can't re-download it; I can't even download it for the first time. I put the code in, the code was accepted, it shows up in my transactions, but it is not in my download list and when I go to the game's entry on the store, the place where you normally see either a download button or a price shows a message saying that the game is not available for purchase. (The non-collector's edition can be bought for $39.99; not that I'm going to do that.)

And I may have to take you up on that offer, unless I can convince Sony to restore my licenses, which I will try to do if I can get into chat with them. I've found an internet cafe pretty close to me in Tokyo that has the game installed on one of their PCs, so I suppose I could log in there even though my own license is on PS4... right?

Another option might be to buy an exotic PS4 (the Dragon Quest solid silver one, or the FF Type-0 one), log in once to "test" it, get my protagonist out of Ishgard, and then deactivate the PS4, packing it up again to sell at a profit and actually come out ahead. ^_^;

Let me try bothering Sony again. I've also asked a GM to move my main character out of Ishgard but that request will take 24-48 hours.

Alric

bar1ndk9b.png

How do you put those 3 bars on the right that show the cooldown? I already use a second bar and use the R2 + L2 and vic versa method to pull up the second bar but I would like to see that visual cue for when some skills are ready without having to switch back and forth.

Top Bottom