• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

They could get rid of the tank DPS thing if tanking was focused more on tanking imo.

The playstyle isn't too different from playing a dps since the damage mitigation abilities are pretty passive outside of a couple abilities.

One thing they could do is tie tank damage to how good they are at using their damage mitigation tools. This would require changing/reworking the percentage damage reduction abilities into one that have more active effects. Like one for PLD could be "Block for the next 3 seconds, next weapon skill does increased damage depending on how much damage was blocked up to a percentage cap".

One for Warrior could be "for the next 10 seconds attacks made against you give you a stack of Fury (up to 5) for 6 seconds that increases your attack speed by 5% and reduces TP consumption by 10% for 10 seconds, each new stack also refreshes the duration.".

These new abilities would also be accompanied with new sfx because another one of my complaints about the tank abilities are how lackluster they are. For example you pop something like Rampart and it's completely unnoticeable outside of the activation animation. If it had some noticeable shield effect like Protect does it would feel more impactful however I would prefer them to do away with those kinds of abilities almost entirely for tank classes since I think there's a lot of potential to make something interesting given the framework available.

DPS stance could just offer some kind of damage boost since you're not being hit and thus cannot boost your DPS with your new defensive/offensive tank abilities.

These are just vague ideas I had floating around, but making tank abilities into something that also rewards you with damage or damage opportunities seems like an interesting road to go down since you don't have to sacrifice survive-ability to do so, but you would need to have good timing and proper understanding of them to get the most out of them, like you have to do already, but in a different way that would hopefully alleviate the issue of people feeling like Tanks act more like a DPS class instead of a Tank class.

I like these ideas, but I dont think we'd see anything like them till 4.0 since I doubt they would add even more skill bloat and hopefully rework old skills to better suit the tank class/package

I like these ideas, but I dont think we'd see anything like them till 4.0 since I doubt they would add even more skill bloat and hopefully rework old skills to better suit the tank class/package

Yeah, I realize this is a ton of wishful thinking. I don't really see them reworking the tank classes in the way I described, since I think they might view it as too much of a shake up compared to how they are currently.

Omni

I officially give up. Thordan is impossible in the PF with random people.

HcxSvGB.png

Think I'll just spend my time grinding Alex a million times instead.

psy18

I officially give up. Thordan is impossible in the PF with random people.

HcxSvGB.png

Think I'll just spend my time grinding Alex a million times instead.

Ouch that's too bad... I've been there too, and it was not only once.

Dunno about the tank DPS, but I think you should only have 1 PLD.

You've reached enrage with less than 1 percent. You'll get him soon.

ViciousDS

Banned
got my summoner to 9 tonight.....whatever. Definitely is feeling slower in the beginning but thats because carbuncle is a dps pet lol. He is very helpful though

Maybe someone will accept my request in the game overnight. Everyone was playing everything else from what I was listening to in mumble hahaha

Redx508

got my summoner to 9 tonight.....whatever. Definitely is feeling slower in the beginning but thats because carbuncle is a dps pet lol. He is very helpful though

Maybe someone will accept my request in the game overnight. Everyone was playing everything else from what I was listening to in mumble hahaha

I can help get you in tomorrow if someone has not accepted you yet

Squishy3

They need to make stealth for gatherers work in Diadem because nobody fights anything anymore. Or just make mobs not spawn near gathering nodes.

finally got the sphalerite needed for it. rng was really hating me. i limited myself to using all my abilities for better yield on the nodes that had a natural yield bonus so i'd be gathering 4 sphalerite and would get no HQ gathers of sphalerite even though i had a 41% chance

Welp. Our caster is done with FF14 unless 3.2 delivers. God willing they make crafting useful again instead of just crafting shit for other crafter's to craft better because that was what he was into. That and fishing.

Anyone hear an estimate for the live letter detailing it? Could it be a febuary launch of is that a pipe dream?

Kenai

Their main argument (well Miunih's) is that it gets behind very quickly in terms of healing. It's a job that is very globals-hungry (Diurnal AB, Collective) compared to WHM and SCH and you can't keep Dignity for emergencies because you have to use it for efficiency. [Which is an issue because it has no backup unlike WHM which has Bene and Tetra and SCH which can use Lustrate as a backup for Lustrate - this part is actually my take on it].

They actually don't touch on RNG or MP management but acknowledge they're a problem as well.

Edit because I'm catching up to the whole thing: earlier, they also basically said "why would you invite an AST that relies on RNG when you can have a consistent healer instead?"

Ah. Well I can't say i agree with all that (part of it yes). AST does have comparatively few direct heals off the GCD vs to Lustrate x 3 and Bene/Tetra. At best Dignity is one usually better Lustrate or one slightly better Tetra, and that's only if you let a tank's HP dip more than I am usually comfortable with (although blowing it immediately following a Living Dead proc is so delightful!)

The thing about AST's RNG is that in most situations in raiding the chances of pulling a card combo you can't use are extremely small. You can use pretty much any card at any time and get some good use out of it (though some are obv more useful than others) so I think AST's low points aren't actually very low. I mean sure, you may not care about extra MP or TP in a 4 man, but you can sure use it in a tough raid. And the others are even more useful. It's effectively generating extra resources so you can shift others towards more deeps when you get that extra Bole or Spear or w/e, not to mention Arrow/Balance ect. You can call it a problem the same way you can call WHM's acc issues a problem, but classes *should* have weaknesses (fair ones, to both counter their strengths and make them work well with others who have different ones). AST's weakness is probably always going to include that RNG factor. No matter how much I can minimize the odds of a bad pull, it still happens sometimes. And there's nothing I can do about it but try again.

I really do think it's that small chance of failure with the card combos (which is completely outside player control) that shies some (most?) world first comps away, even if I personally think the positives are gonna outweigh the negatives. AST's DPS related buffs mean a comp including one will almost always have a higher theoretical DPS threshold than one without if the other 7 classes stay the same, and so I guess it would be matter of whether an AST's passive buffs + active healing would allow said threshold to be realized in that progression. I am unsure, since post AST buffs I have yet to feel it was my class (rather than me, or someone else) at fault, but I also have 0 interest participating in worldfirst progression (I did that in WoW for a stretch and had my fill of it many times over).

I know that ppl like to mimic worldfirst groups though, and am not blind to the spillover effects that can have on the community

But what do I really know, I dropped SCH for this and still don't regret it.

scy

I really do think it's that small chance of failure with the card combos (which is completely outside player control) that shies some (most?) world first comps away, even if I personally think the positives are gonna outweigh the negatives.

It's mostly that they have the least ways to deal with sudden crunch time for healing. When left with minimal GCDs, they'll struggle the most. This matters less and less as the gear curve catches up but it stands out earlier in the tier. Alexander 2 being a bit more lax may make it less of an issue but time will tell there.

Alternatively, AST is eventually the best healer for the tier when it comes to farm status period when gear lets them catch-up healing wise and then their buffs for speeding up fights.

iammeiam

It's worth noting nobody's saying AST is non-functional, just that bringing an AST is going to be more difficult than bringing the two non-AST healers, and jobs should never be balanced such that one of your options is just flat-out the worst at its role. AST has a toolkit that more or less functions, but will never be considered as-is for early progression because of its shortcomings. And later in content it doesn't stop being a little harder to have an AST, it's just that the content difficulty has decreased relative to gear, so you can get away with a little more GCD starvation.

I mean, I fully intend to live the hilarious AST/WHM disasterfest dream in alt stuff assuming all 8 of us are ever online at the same time. But there's no question that it'd be flat out easier to do all of this if I made my alt a SCH, and it's not a case of class synergy so much as one job coming up short. People mimic the world-first groups in part because the world first groups will gravitate towards things that are most advantageous for the content; if people are approaching things primarily to clear, going with the most advantageous comp makes sense. For more laid back stuff and later clears, it doesn't matter, and people should play what they want as long as everyone knows they're in for potentially a little more struggle. But it not mattering doesn't make AST not inherently worse off than the other two healers (much like being able to clear everything with a PLD doesn't mean PLD's not worse off than the other tanks.)

The thing with card RNG is that it's more beneficial to speedkills and less beneficial when you're just trying to make enrage; you need to have the DPS to kill the thing even if every card you get is meh.

Ken

Welp. Our caster is done with FF14 unless 3.2 delivers. God willing they make crafting useful again instead of just crafting shit for other crafter's to craft better because that was what he was into. That and fishing.

Anyone hear an estimate for the live letter detailing it? Could it be a febuary launch of is that a pipe dream?

Late February, I think.

----

In order to accompany Patch 3.15 HotFixes, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds at the time below. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

* The World Transfer Service will be suspended 15 minutes before the maintenance, and will be unavailable until maintenance has ended.

* Reservations for Ceremonies of Eternal Bonding cannot be made from the time maintenance ends until Jan. 8, 2016 1:00 a.m. (PST).

[Date & Time]
Jan. 6, 2016 10:00 p.m. to Jan. 7, 2016 2:00 a.m. (PST)
* Completion time is subject to change.

[Affected Worlds]
All Worlds

----

Watching Korean players do FCOB progression. Got those Potent Poisoning Potions and PLD/WAR dream team!

Another is streaming DF T6. It's like I'm looking into the past.

Watching Korean players do FCOB progression. Got those Potent Poisoning Potions and PLD/WAR dream team!

Another is streaming DF T6. It's like I'm looking into the past.

Thanks for pointing this out! It's interesting to watch this stuff, it feels like this was such a long time ago for me, when in reality I only started raiding less than a year ago.

Hey guys, should I activate Heavensward before I finish the base story so I can start earning exp since I'm level 50? Or is it better just to wait so I'm not overwhelmed by content?

thanks to PSN being down allowing lower pops on servers, I got onto Ultros and applied to the GAF guild :)

Damn is ultros a full sever? I wonder if they will even let me transfer over then from Gilgamesh...

Omni

Ouch that's too bad... I've been there too, and it was not only once.

Dunno about the tank DPS, but I think you should only have 1 PLD.

You've reached enrage with less than 1 percent. You'll get him soon.
That wasn't the first time... Hmph. It's always something with this fight. Gotta try and convince a farm party to let me in... but that's hard enough while WHM. They'd have to put a lot of faith in me

What server are you on?
Lamia :(

Maybe I'll transfer to Gilgamesh for a carry like everyone else
:lol

dramatis

Hey guys, should I activate Heavensward before I finish the base story so I can start earning exp since I'm level 50? Or is it better just to wait so I'm not overwhelmed by content?

Damn is ultros a full sever? I wonder if they will even let me transfer over then from Gilgamesh...
Should probably stick on Gilgamesh lol

Gilga is the second highest populated server, you'll find a lot of activity there at endgame.

If you normally take your time playing and go slowly, then I'd say don't buy Heavensward until you have beaten maybe Ramuh/Shiva or if Heavensward is on sale while you're going through the patch stories. If you don't mind shelling out for HW while you're still ticking away at your sub, then go for it. The patch exp is probably enough for a level or two.

Should probably stick on Gilgamesh lol

Gilga is the second highest populated server, you'll find a lot of activity there at endgame.

If you normally take your time playing and go slowly, then I'd say don't buy Heavensward until you have beaten maybe Ramuh/Shiva or if Heavensward is on sale while you're going through the patch stories. If you don't mind shelling out for HW while you're still ticking away at your sub, then go for it. The patch exp is probably enough for a level or two.

Ok cool, because I got Heavensward for Christmas and I'm going through the patch stories now.

I wanted to switch so I could join the GAF FC. Since I got Heavensward and 60 days for Christmas I thought it would be fine to pay the transfer fee. I'm not currently in a FC so I'd like to join one anyways.

ViciousDS

Banned
Getting Steps as MCH is hell.

BRD: "I'll do the cannons!"

Take me out in the back and shoot me.

are MCH's really that bad? I know I felt really weak leveling my bard to 60 lol

edit: also should I stay on Ultros lol......I noticed the population just in town last night seemed even lower than my server I was on Faerie

iammeiam

MCH is fiiiiiiine.

It's noticeably less fun level-synced though. Ricochet and Hypercharge are my two favorite buttons! (Also fuck Ravana HM and his aversion to letting Wildfire explode). Guessing the issue here was more Steps though.

And PSN outage made dead sever even deader last night.

So uhh, is there a decent way to make gil without crafting/gathering?
I started leveling a BTN and MIN but this grind is so mind numbing...
I just want to be able to afford food. :<

ViciousDS

Banned
MCH is fiiiiiiine.

It's noticeably less fun level-synced though. Ricochet and Hypercharge are my two favorite buttons! (Also fuck Ravana HM and his aversion to letting Wildfire explode). Guessing the issue here was more Steps though.

And PSN outage made dead sever even deader last night.

this doesn't give me much confidence in staying on Ultros lol

iammeiam

Ultros has a workable population although our raid community is pretty sparse. It's just not a megaserver so it doesn't have the population of a Gilgamesh, and there's little reason to hang out in the starter cities so those being emptier isn't shocking. And the PSN outage really did have an impact on who could even play during the normal busy time last night.

Ultros is perfectly fine for leveling, it's just not one of the super active destination servers. We're in the Primal Datacenter so any DF content will pull from any Primal server, not just Ultros.

Ultros has a workable population although our raid community is pretty sparse. It's just not a megaserver so it doesn't have the population of a Gilgamesh, and there's little reason to hang out in the starter cities so those being emptier isn't shocking. And the PSN outage really did have an impact on who could even play during the normal busy time last night.

Ultros is perfectly fine for leveling, it's just not one of the super active destination servers. We're in the Primal Datacenter so any DF content will pull from any Primal server, not just Ultros.

I guess my last two questions about ultros and the FC are:

1) Is there space in the FC?
2) are there any other recent 50's in the FC, or is it all late late game members?

Omni

Adventurer in need.

It's a slow process! ;_; Or you could sell yourself in the party finder. That's totally a thing right now

iammeiam

I guess my last two questions about ultros and the FC are:

1) Is there space in the FC?

Yes; we generally have space available and if it fills up (like around HW launch) they start kicking out Alts to make room for new people.

2) are there any other recent 50's in the FC, or is it all late late game members?

I think we have a pretty good mix of people, but most of the vocal people I recognize in FC chat have been around a while. But being the GAF FC means we get a decent influx of people pretty constantly; new people just tend to be quieter. Plus now is a really good time to be a fresh 50 as even longer-playing people will be VERY invested in getting you through stuff for your new-player bonus. And in general during prime time you can find people to help with most things. We have a number of GAF people in raid groups, but it's not like serious endgame raiding is really an FC focus.

Jaeyden

killing shit? Things like amphitere skins, dragons skins, crawler cocoons, okeanis tail..basically anything that goes into high end recipes/crafts.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
are MCH's really that bad? I know I felt really weak leveling my bard to 60 lol

edit: also should I stay on Ultros lol......I noticed the population just in town last night seemed even lower than my server I was on Faerie

MCH is fine despite having a somewhat unobvious counter-intuitive opener after which you sleepwalk the entire fight but the problem in Steps is that you have to keep moving your turret and it's cancer.

Meanwhile, Lucrezia's main team has disbanded.

iammeiam

Next tier is certainly going to be interesting. Who's gonna nolife it now? (Team USA beat them to the clear and beat them to disbanding. Always first!)

This thread has made me want this now more than ever, Duty Roulette: Coils. Why is this not a thing? And I'll preemptively post this as a response:

ExAihHz.gif

After watching anima grinders wipe in full Unsynced parties, I can only imagine the horror stories as people are forced to deal with being 50 again and finding themselves in T7.

Pachimari

I'm trying to use the Security Token app on my iPhone, and I'm about to register it, but it just gives me a message "You need an internet connection" and then that's it. Anyone else having trouble with this?

[edit]
And now it works. Of course...

scy

Wow, both the world first groups quit? Ending on a tie, how fitting.

After watching anima grinders wipe in full Unsynced parties, I can only imagine the horror stories as people are forced to deal with being 50 again and finding themselves in T7.

#mechanics

16 stack Mel dream though.

Sorian

Banned
Has anyone actually done the MSQ that came out with the last patch? Worth doing or no?

Yeah, it's a mostly "setting the scene" patch for future 3.x stuff but it has teases for the inevitable fight that we are heading towards from the cliff hanger ending in 3.0 and warrior of darkness stuff (no, I'm not putting spoiler tags over something that was in the patch preview video :p)

Thorgal

something i wanted to inquire :

i know it is possible to pay the sub through steam ( which i bought it on ) but i cannot seem to find where on Mog station that option is .

Or is that not visible yet on my account page since i still have 27 days of free play to go ?

Top Bottom