• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Ken

It's not so bad. You just map the fairy abilities to the hotbar and use them like healing cooldowns. The fairys don't really have that many abilities.

How do you hit them on the hotbar if you're exclusively controller. And I have the virtual mouse turned off.

I checked my SCH and my crossbar doesn't fit every ability. Have to make due with some lower priority ones on extra extra crossbor sets.

Ken

FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfix (Jan. 7, 2016)
The following issue has been addressed:

-An issue where the process may not complete upon automatic estate demolition, which result in property not being applicable for purchase.
*Currently, no World is affected.

xxczx

FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfix (Jan. 7, 2016)
The following issue has been addressed:

-An issue where the process may not complete upon automatic estate demolition, which result in property not being applicable for purchase.
*Currently, no World is affected.
{Standard}

aceface

How do you hit them on the hotbar if you're exclusively controller. And I have the virtual mouse turned off.

I checked my SCH and my crossbar doesn't fit every ability. Have to make due with some lower priority ones on extra extra crossbor sets.

I mean cross hotbar I guess?

You have to have different main hotbars depending on if you are using Eos or Selene. But keeping that in mind I can fit all the abilities I need on one main hotbar + the one you get by holding L2 + R2 down together.

Ugh, I thought MCH would be a progression from Bard and Lancer for some reason (maybe someone suggested I level Lancer?), but it turns out MCH is it's own thing that's starts at 30... I guess I'll give it a shot when I get to Heavensward content.

The Bard connection is just because the gear they share?

tgl3

Neo Member

They do share a lot of gear, and also fulfill similar party support roles (both are party tp/mp regen capable).

In addition, MCH takes cross-class skills from Archer and Lancer.

Ugh, I thought MCH would be a progression from Bard and Lancer for some reason (maybe someone suggested I level Lancer?), but it turns out MCH is it's own thing that's starts at 30... I guess I'll give it a shot when I get to Heavensward content.

MCH can use cross-class skills from Archer and Lancer.

You'll want Blood for Blood, Invigorate from LNC and Hawkeye, Raging Strikes and I guess Quelling Strikes from ARC.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Machinist also needs Hawk's Eye and Raging Strikes from archer to operate at maximum efficiency (quelling strikes helps while levelling but I don't think I've had to use it much at max level? I dunno my MCH is stuck permanently in entry level gear)

E: get out phillip

iammeiam

Whatever you people may have beaten me but I've sacrificed WAY more turrets.

They fill the same role in groups: lower DPS ceiling, MP/TP regen, ranged physical damage dealers.

You'd want Bard and Lancer levelled for MCH anyway. Bard gives you Raging Strikes (damage buff), Hawk's Eye (DEX buff) and Quelling Strikes (buff that decreases the amount of threat you generate. Not always useful but I try to remember to have it for Void Ark runs. For the first 30-60 seconds of a fight you can burst threat in a way most real DPS classes can only dream of and will rip off unprepared tanks. And then usually rip again when they waste Provoke before Woldfire detonation.) Lancer gives you two vital skills in Blood for Blood (damage buff) and Invigorate (TP restore.)

All in all you're going to need to level them anyway to be effective at MCH, so it's not a total waste of time.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it a shot. FFXIV is like my long distance relationship. All the time and money spent to sustain it makes me wonder if it's a good investment or going anywhere.

For the gf it's worth it, don't worry lol

iammeiam

I never even bothered to get Quelling

if you want threat, earn it. I ain't pressing an extra button for you.

You don't do it for the tank, you do it for basically everyone else in the group. Sparing healers having to heal your tissue paper ass through boss attacks, melee from losing positionals when mobs randomly spin, and your entire party from eating cleaves.

Easiest solution is to just run with known quantity tanks, and I don't have it crossed most of the time, but it's less for tank ego and more because if you're on MCH, you're a support job, support the damn group.

studyguy

I never even bothered to get Quelling

if you want threat, earn it. I ain't pressing an extra button for you.

lol

I actually made it to T9 with my crew at the time and I forget who but one of the ranged didn't have quelling and my tank partner was the opener. He'd always get hate ripped from him right at the start when they began their rotations and mumble just became a fight of will as the two screamed trying race for hate. Good times.

You don't do it for the tank, you do it for basically everyone else in the group. Sparing healers having to heal your tissue paper ass through boss attacks, melee from losing positionals when mobs randomly spin, and your entire party from eating cleaves.

Easiest solution is to just run with known quantity tanks, and I don't have it crossed most of the time, but it's less for tank ego and more because if you're on MCH, you're a support job, support the damn group.

(I was joking, the real reason is I couldn't stomach BRD for another second. I'll get it some other time)

I only play machinist to see large wildfire numbers I don't know what this support thing is supposed to be.

also this

iammeiam

(I was joking, the real reason is I couldn't stomach BRD for another second. I'll get it some other time)

You joke, but some people do actually believe it and/or take it as a point of pride. We're bursty as hell and I think people generally have lowered expectations for MCH so are often unprepared.

(Also your support thing is the excuse when over longer fights you fall behind everyone else. The real key to fixing raid is just making all Midas fights 45 seconds long.)

Sorian

Banned
Even Sorian has it now. Come on, son.

That's true, how often I actually click it is a little suspect though. I have to click two buttons before I start my opener and if the tank doesn't announce that they are pulling in any way/I'm not paying attention then I'm dropping one of those buttons (quelling) so I can get to the good stuff faster :p

ty that's much better, but next time surround your post with obnoxious Fracture symbols to reach the peak.

Fracture_Icon.png
Fracture_Icon.png
Fracture_Icon.png

Fracture_Icon.png

Fracture_Icon.png
Fracture_Icon.png
FRACTURE OPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
Fracture_Icon.png

Fracture_Icon.png

Jayhawk

For those interested, Ultros server having a vigil for Sian Blake (Yugiri VA) today at 10PM EST at the Rogue's guild in Limsa Lominsa.

Ugh, the A4S session last night was so bad. I think I'm just getting really bad at this game now, reconsidering if should even bother with A4S at this point or just wait for GARF and just look forward to Midas in two 6 week-ish (hopefully).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ugh, the A4S session last night was so bad. I think I'm just getting really bad at this game now, reconsidering if should even bother with A4S at this point or just wait for GARF and just look forward to Midas in two 6 week-ish (hopefully).

I wouldn't worry so much. Every one has off days and A4S is a fight where you definitely have to sink a lot of time into. You guys aren't doing bad for just starting from what I saw on your stream, honestly.

iammeiam

I watched most of that and it looks really familiar. The leg 2 laser struggle is real. The leg 1 Discoid struggle is something that can be difficult to adjust to, and your bard needs to debate moving to melee town so he's not in the way. Missed stuns happen and make everything worse. I'm not going to tell you you're going to hit a break point where the fight becomes good and fun, but beating your face against it will make you a better player and there is sort of a grim satisfaction in getting phases down cold (accidentally doing leg 3 without the LB and contrasting to the early struggle of should we take more damage to try and force LB2 to just make the check is a good "look how far we've come" moment.)

If you want the challenge, stick with it. If you don't, don't. The fight is garbage and the sac and Wirble strat is just a ton of healer stress, but going through it will make you better.

the only thing that was annoying in the stream was your bard's blatant DPS padding. I see that Flaming Arrow positioning. I know what he's doing.

(Also the guy on one of your earlier nights who said you should get it down either this week or the next is silly. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that's an unreasonable standard to set for yourselves and not making that timeline doesn't reflect poorly on anyone.)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got my entire Bard getup and I couldn't look more ridiculous. Lol!

PepperedHam

Hey GAF so I'm a 34 Monk and I was wondering if the positional stuff is only really for dungeons/raids? It seems a large pain in the ass to try and get the positional bonuses for some of these attacks just questing on my own. Am I right in assuming this?

Sorian

Banned
Hey GAF so I'm a 34 Monk and I was wondering if the positional stuff is only really for dungeons/raids? It seems a large pain in the ass to try and get the positional bonuses for some of these attacks just questing on my own. Am I right in assuming this?

Positionals are only for when you are fighting an enemy that is focused on someone else. Yes, if you are the only one fighting a thing and it is targeting you, then you won't be able to get attacks on the flank or back.

PepperedHam

Positionals are only for when you are fighting an enemy that is focused on someone else. Yes, if you are the only one fighting a thing and it is targeting you, then you won't be able to get attacks on the flank or back.
Ah ok good to know. That's what I figured but I wasn't sure if maybe they gave a stun that wasn't on a 60 second cooldown that I could throw in to get some of the flank/back attacks in.

Thanks!

Top Bottom