• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

IvorB

odd... or AWESOME?

Fair enough. :)

If he wanted to do mechanics he'd play the coward classes.

I mean ranged.

Ranged is what I meant.

For real though, melee is hazardous. I went dragoon into Void Ark for the first time and I died like three times to that vomit boss to things I didn't even know existed when I went as ranged. After the third death I was so embarrassed I didn't even want to approach the boss anymore and had to actually force myself to get back in there ha ha!

Jayhawk

Server hopping to chat with friends and drinking Fantasia potions weekly.

Playing Civ 5 until 5AM as well. And losing a lot.

You have been missed in the past few games involving Naji's warmonger playstyle. Though last night's game was mostly all of us struggling with barbarians in a giant Boston Cream-type map. We'll be trying out custom maps soon, like the Game of Thrones map that's rated 5/5.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Kawazi basically said playing with Naji is like playing with an extra pack of barbarians.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So, what is everyone up to in game while waiting on 3.2?

I've been spending more time with Fallout 4 since I can't log on for more than 5 minutes without getting bored. :(

Relic still sitting at 40+/80 since Christmas. Lol.
Getting ready to do Savage Second Coil for people who still need 6, 8 and 9 then we'll start on 7.

a.) your job sounds super boring do you bring a book
b.) if you want to be awesome punch through his protective plating on his hiding place so everyone can skip six minutes of legs. The worst part of the fight is we all waste so much time when he's RIGHT THERE

pls. I get to charge myself up, punch and kick things in the nuts all day while doing flips and shit and I have Shoulder Tackle

plus you realise I'm levelling MCH for a reason right

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
For real though, melee is hazardous. I went dragoon into Void Ark for the first time and I died like three times to that vomit boss to things I didn't even know existed when I went as ranged. After the third death I was so embarrassed I didn't even want to approach the boss anymore and had to actually force myself to get back in there ha ha!

I'm kind of intrigued about what; there's the vomit, but half the time some whm gets killed by it so I assumed that ranged had to learn to deal with that as well? Same with the tentacle nonsense. I know Echidna has some extra anti-melee aoes, though.

Tiops

So, what is everyone up to in game while waiting on 3.2?

I've been spending more time with Fallout 4 since I can't log on for more than 5 minutes without getting bored. :(

Relic still sitting at 40+/80 since Christmas. Lol.

I'm actually trying to catch up on some content. Doing Beast Tribe quests, working on my crafters, getting Void Ark/Alexander NM gear for my DRG and still buying esoterics stuff for my SMN (just some accessories left). All while working on the Anima.

Lots of stuff to do here. Got my WVR to 60 yesterday and the last mastery book III I needed, so today I'll probably craft my level 60 crafting equipment and start my journey with red scrips.

Sifl

I won like 7 pvp matches in a row last night and got confused as to what GC I was apart of. Also if you can only do like 50k damage as a SMN in pvp you shouldn't be taunting anyone.

iammeiam

I won like 7 pvp matches in a row last night and got confused as to what GC I was apart of. Also if you can only do like 50k damage as a SMN in pvp you shouldn't be taunting anyone.

Rule #1 of FFXIV: the more posturing and impressive a person tries to sound, the more likely it is that they're mediocre to poor.

Don't take the taunting from them, it's all they have.

Valor

You have been missed in the past few games involving Naji's warmonger playstyle. Though last night's game was mostly all of us struggling with barbarians in a giant Boston Cream-type map. We'll be trying out custom maps soon, like the Game of Thrones map that's rated 5/5.

WHY ARE ALL OF THE MAPS YOU PLAY LIKE DONUTS.

I really want a donut ;-;

scy

We don't do that, healers pick up all the orbs.

rip. Making it to the end of the fight consistently was the most important thing to us since the DPS to beat it is not really an issue. The small losses to spread the damage weren't going to make or break the fight, not at this point. 210 and relics will be more of a "mechanics, DPS can't fail" too.

They drove bookey away from the game, that's like victory.

....what the hell did you people do.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
rip. Making it to the end of the fight consistently was the most important thing to us since the DPS to beat it is not really an issue. The small losses to spread the damage weren't going to make or break the fight, not at this point. 210 and relics will be more of a "mechanics, DPS can't fail" too.

I don't have the heart to look at the footage right now but I remember hearing healers discussing how to deal with that part so I guess they should get good?

iammeiam

To be fair, some of this is just that some of us are really bad at like... Not doing things when there's things to be done. Manipulator training dummy so boring, give me a thing to do to mark where we are in the fight. the inconsistency for when we pick up final phase discoid arguably makes it harder on the healers (that 2 second before Czero explosion!), but it worked for us so eh.

My giant "if you have to peel off the boss to grab a laser, peel off the boss to grab a laser ffs Thordan weapon carry got this by the time we're in that situation it's too late to reposition everyone" tirade is probably our biggest sacrificing DPS for mechanics thing.

...no, wait, it's sacrificing the BLM and NIN on first sac so I can just MP turret forever and we don't have to worry about like anything.

That fight would have been so much more annoying if we couldn't get away with this lazymode stuff.

waby

My raid group just pass hands dps check and is on phase 3 of A3S. This will be a very slow grind and I'm not expecting we will finish this before 3.2.

scy

I don't have the heart to look at the footage right now but I remember hearing healers discussing how to deal with that part so I guess they should get good?

Eh, there's no much reason to push max DPS for a clear is more my point and that's usually what fight planning comes down to: minimize damage loss vs consistency. The DPS should be there, if not people are outright screwing things up, so the biggest goal was making sure the whole fight gets seen. Do that and then start trimming away to get the DPS. Just never had to go back and start adding back in those bits of lost DPS.

At this point I think healers are usually in place for orbs anyway (since I keep running into one en route ;_;) so it's a non-issue as a natural evolution sort of thing. Do whatever works in the end, we just opted during learning to go with making sure we reached the end of the fight more often since the actual killing of it isn't a huge issue.

Edit: Not really disagreeing or pointing fingers here, just explaining the why we did what we did.

It's a simple equation.

Starting games at 8PM eastern
Actually beginning the game an hour and a half to two hours later
6 hour game minimum.
Aintnobodygottimeforthat.mpeg

so planned to fail from the start?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Have you guys actually finished a game of Civ yet? lol
We did once but we had to start in the modern era.

Everyone nuked each other and Jayhawk left the planet to victory.

Thorgal

I Am still getting used to all the acronyms used in this games .

What does A3S stand for ,for example ?

I know it relates to a dungeon .

scy

I Am still getting used to all the acronyms used in this games .

What does A3S stand for ,for example ?

I know it relates to a dungeon .

Alexander 3 Savage. The 3rd floor/boss fight of the current hard mode difficulty of the raid.

Edit: Likewise, A3N would be Alexander 3 Normal, or the the 3rd floor/boss fight of the normal/story version of the raid.

suzu

It's a simple equation.

Starting games at 8PM eastern
Actually beginning the game an hour and a half to two hours later
6 hour game minimum.
Aintnobodygottimeforthat.mpeg

This is half the reason why I haven't played again after my first time. lol

We did once but we had to start in the modern era.

Everyone nuked each other and Jayhawk left the planet to victory.

This sounds more fun though. :p

iammeiam

MumbleGAF's discrimination against west coasters with jobs continues unabated. Still the hive of scum and villainy I always knew it to be, even when playing other games.

iammeiam

Don't play the victim when you know you wouldn't show up anyway!

Less personal interest in Civ, more eye rolling at the pearl-clutching over engaging in activities at the ungodly hour of 8PM EST.

It's okay, man, I understand. You're getting older and can't keep up with the hours of today's youth.

You just hate everybody. No need to give a weak excuse about discrimination to hide it

It's more a flavor enhancer than a base, though.

gryvan

Hey I haven't put raging barbarians since first game!!!

They are self aware and constantly focusing on sosul and drama

Jayhawk

West-coast discrimination? xtech and sosul are west-coast players that have been in every game, and they have been the ones pushing to play lately! I've been trying to get esoterics for my NIN, but then they ask to play.

suzu stopped playing because she tried to bully xtech with a bunch of miltary units lined up outside his borders, so xtech felt threatened and attacked preemptively. xtech won that war once I helped attack suzu from the flank. PTSD (or as gryvan calls it - PSTD)!

And we finished two games so far in the past week or so - both ended with a Jayhawk victory. One was a cultural victory with nuclear wasteland all over the place. Another was a science victory, even though I was nuking docbon for retaliation from a previous game.

suzu

I stopped playing cuz it was like 1:30am, and my allies were useless IKEA (kawazi) and cowardly Japan (naji). haha

Too bad steam sales are over. I'd suggest playing Age of Empires 2 or something.

Sorian

Banned
There's probably a Civ 5 thread you guys can talk in...

Eh, is this really that bad? This is just meant to be a community thread at this point, ded game=ded thread. Love bloomed on the ffxiv battlefield and now they nurture their hate with some civ 5.

scy

Eh, is this really that bad? This is just meant to be a community thread at this point, ded game=ded thread. Love bloomed on the ffxiv battlefield and now they nurture their hate with some civ 5.

uUA6sjw.jpg

gryvan

There's probably a Civ 5 thread you guys can talk in...

I checked 15 or so pages to see if there's any civ v OT....surprisingly enough there isn't one. The only one closest is civ beyond earth OT

Edir: well Jayhawk answered that...I just didn't search hard enough

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Community threads still should stay fairly on-topic otherwise we end up with Halo GAF!

Jayhawk

Civ V BNW OT has been dead since August 2014. RIP

Though there are the random threads that pop up asking if the game is worth buying, usually corresponding with steam sales... and most of the community threads I follow veer off-topic all the time, even the ones I don't post in!

iammeiam

The most disappointing part of this is that there will be no FFXIV GAF incursion in a Civ thread.

Then I realized they wouldn't understand what lalafell are which would ruin half the popcorn entertainment.

TO BE TOPICAL: Anyone have any good links for power leveling GSM and ARM 50-60?

Preferably for the super lazy and/or where I can bully somebody into HQing leve turnins for me. Trying to make very slight inroads in 3.2 preparation.

Squishy3

I hope Kagari gets this otherwise I did it for nothing

X1Dx1Q1.png

I don't remember what font you guys used when you did it for SBFGAF so I just went for trusty comic sans

Jayhawk

Preferably for the super lazy and/or where I can bully somebody into HQing leve turnins for me. Trying to make very slight inroads in 3.2 preparation.

You can gain 30%-50% of your exp before patch just by doing whatever the GC turn-ins are every day. You can also check to see if the HQ armor for leves are cheap on the market board. I remember asking GAF to buy their quest rewards when expansion came out for that WVR power-leveling... and then Felix caught on to my schemes and bought out the same markets.

If you have a MIN 60 retainer, you can also send them out to gather a bunch of the different metals slowly over the next few weeks until you decide to start crafting stuff.

Found some links...
http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-arm-armorsmith-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/4/
http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-gsm-goldsmith-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/4/

A lot of the leve options are not that great because you need to make grade 1 dissolvents for battle gear. However, if the armor options are cheap on the market board... just buy them out! GSM gets blessed with WVR needles, crafting earrings, and some rings that require fewer materials. I think 75% of my ARM 50-60 exp came from buying shit for decent prices from the market board for leve GC turn-ins. The other 25% was from grinding nuggets and ingots while I had the exp buff up from the scrolls they gave at level 50 quests.

rubius01

Oh i would use stared GC turn-ins. You can buy the HQ stuff of the MB for about 100-150k. I'm not sure about the leves though. They are usually stuff like make 3 sets of armor that takes you about an hour to gather all the mats and gives you around a 1/3rd of experience that they should.

iammeiam

You can gain 30%-50% of your exp before patch just by doing whatever the GC turn-ins are every day. You can also check to see if the HQ armor for leves are cheap on the market board. I remember asking GAF to buy their quest rewards when expansion came out for that WVR power-leveling... and then Felix caught on to my schemes and bought out the same markets.

If you have a MIN 60 retainer, you can also send them out to gather a bunch of the different metals slowly over the next few weeks until you decide to start crafting stuff.

Found some links...
http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-arm-armorsmith-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/4/
http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-gsm-goldsmith-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/4/

A lot of the leve options are not that great because you need to make grade 1 dissolvents for battle gear. However, if the armor options are cheap on the market board... just buy them out! GSM gets blessed with WVR needles, crafting earrings, and some rings that require fewer materials. I think 75% of my ARM 50-60 exp came from buying shit for decent prices from the market board for leve GC turn-ins. The other 25% was from grinding nuggets and ingots while I had the exp buff up from the scrolls they gave at level 50 quests.

Oh i would use stared GC turn-ins. You can buy the HQ stuff of the MB for about 100-150k. I'm not sure about the leves though. They are usually stuff like make 3 sets of armor that takes you about an hour to gather all the mats and gives you around a 1/3rd of experience that they should.

Thanks! MB purchases and GC turnins it is, I guess. I at one point tried to grind out some mythrite nuggets figuring it'd be a semi-decent gil neutral-to-positive way to get XP and got through like one or two nuggets before giving up and wandering off to play Pony Island.

But if crafted gear is actually decent next tier it might be worth making effort to have specializations covered so I should maybe effort at some point.

Top Bottom